Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Default I Don't like Paula Deen

Jeff Edwards wrote:
> "iqdiva52" > wrote in
> lkabouttelevision.com:
>
> > Am I the only American who can't stand Paula Deen?I'm a southerner too...
> >

> Nope.
>
> I think her show is tolerable, but nothing special. My wife, however,
> cannot be in the same room when it is on - nails on a chalkboard to her.
> And yes, we are southerners.

My wife (from Oregon) can't stand her. I tried to tell her that she
"cain't he'p" the way she "tawks" (I'm from Texas). But old Paula done
crossed the line. She uses that North Carolinian abomination, TEXAS
PETE. Ikk! Gag! Hardly worth calling a hot sauce due to its blandness.

What did they use on pulled pork before Texas Pete? I've made pulled
pork with El Yucateco habanera sauce and with Bufalo Chipotle sauce.
Much tastier.

Ted.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> My wife (from Oregon) can't stand her. I tried to tell her that she
> "cain't he'p" the way she "tawks" (I'm from Texas). But old Paula done
> crossed the line. She uses that North Carolinian abomination, TEXAS
> PETE. Ikk! Gag! Hardly worth calling a hot sauce due to its blandness.
>
> What did they use on pulled pork before Texas Pete? I've made pulled
> pork with El Yucateco habanera sauce and with Bufalo Chipotle sauce.
> Much tastier.

Tonight, she makes buttery baked butter with a butter sauce.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jeff Edwards wrote:
> > "iqdiva52" > wrote in
> > lkabouttelevision.com:
> >
> > > Am I the only American who can't stand Paula Deen?I'm a southerner

too...

> > Nope.
> >
> > I think her show is tolerable, but nothing special. My wife, however,
> > cannot be in the same room when it is on - nails on a chalkboard to her.
> > And yes, we are southerners.

> My wife (from Oregon) can't stand her. I tried to tell her that she
> "cain't he'p" the way she "tawks" (I'm from Texas). But old Paula done
> crossed the line. She uses that North Carolinian abomination, TEXAS
> PETE. Ikk! Gag! Hardly worth calling a hot sauce due to its blandness.
>
> What did they use on pulled pork before Texas Pete? I've made pulled
> pork with El Yucateco habanera sauce and with Bufalo Chipotle sauce.
> Much tastier.
>
> Ted.

I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that. But, I
like her very much; I like her cooking style and her attitude, so I put up
with it.
I also enjoy watching The Barefoot Contessor. She is always preparing a
special ittle dinner on the beach with a neighbor, who is bringing the
flowers and dessert. I like that, because I want to be there, too.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

I was at a bookstore the other day and saw a magazine I hadn't noticed
befo "Cooking with Paula Deen" or "Eating with Deenie" or some such
claptrap. Had a warm family photo on the cover -- got to get the boys
on there, or what'll they do for money when she passes on to the
kitchen in the sky? -- and a boldface headline that totally ****ed me
off (paraphrased):

SEE PHOTOS OF BOBBY'S BIG NEW HOUSE INSIDE!

Uh, no thanks. Cooking was fun. Watching her remarry on TV was
pushing it. Reveling in the riches of her milquetoast, charmless sons
is just an *inch* too far. The entire Deen family gets shoved into the
"annoying" niche of my brain, where they can swap tips on being bubbly
with Rachael Ray.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:

> I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that. But, I
> like her very much; I like her cooking style and her attitude, so I put up
> with it.
> I also enjoy watching The Barefoot Contessor. She is always preparing a
> special ittle dinner on the beach with a neighbor, who is bringing the
> flowers and dessert. I like that, because I want to be there, too.

Y'all is a real, frequently used word down south. Paula's accent is what
grates on my nerves, and I LIVE here in the south!
The Barefoot Contessa just strikes me as a huge phony with her
"rent-a-friends" parties. Why doesn't she just say "I'm going to show
you how to make such-and-such today instead of pretending every show is
a party prep??? I like her recipes, just not the faux lifestyle she
portrays and that fake laugh of hers. Great house, kitchen and hair
though

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

> Y'all is a real, frequently used word down south. Paula's accent is what
> grates on my nerves, and I LIVE here in the south!
> The Barefoot Contessa just strikes me as a huge phony with her
> "rent-a-friends" parties. Why doesn't she just say "I'm going to show you
> how to make such-and-such today instead of pretending every show is a
> party prep??? I like her recipes, just not the faux lifestyle she portrays
> and that fake laugh of hers. Great house, kitchen and hair though

I get the same feeling about Ina Garten. She's a women of heft (snicker) and
I always get a kick out of how her face lights up when she starts making
dessert.

As for Paula Deen, she would be a lot easier to take if you turned off the
sound, and turned on live captions.
But her cooking's not bad.

Larry T

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

LT wrote:

> I get the same feeling about Ina Garten. She's a women of heft (snicker) and
> I always get a kick out of how her face lights up when she starts making
> dessert.

I'd rather see a cheerful woman of "heft" than a man with "short dick
syndrome".. y'know?
Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Mrs. Dash must die wrote:

> Tonight, she makes buttery baked butter with a butter sauce.

That's my main complaint about her. I like her schtick, and much of
what she cooks looks delicious, but it's so heavily laden with fat and
salt, it's a wonder she doesn't weigh 500 lbs.

-L.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

--
Well if you are a southerner, why does her accent bother you; don't
understand? It's that y'all thing that annoys me. I can see why Barefoot

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Jeff Edwards wrote:
> > > "iqdiva52" > wrote in
> > > lkabouttelevision.com:

> too...
> > > >

> > > Nope.
> > >
> > > I think her show is tolerable, but nothing special. My wife, however,
> > > cannot be in the same room when it is on - nails on a chalkboard to her.
> > > And yes, we are southerners.

> > My wife (from Oregon) can't stand her. I tried to tell her that she
> > "cain't he'p" the way she "tawks" (I'm from Texas). But old Paula done
> > crossed the line. She uses that North Carolinian abomination, TEXAS
> > PETE. Ikk! Gag! Hardly worth calling a hot sauce due to its blandness.
> >
> > What did they use on pulled pork before Texas Pete? I've made pulled
> > pork with El Yucateco habanera sauce and with Bufalo Chipotle sauce.
> > Much tastier.
> >
> > Ted.

> I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that.

It's funny how the FN personalities all become self-parodies, with
ridiculous overuse of favorite expressions, etc.

I don't like Paula Deen, and abhor her stupid sons.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:05:41 GMT, "pfoley" >
wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> pfoley wrote:
>>
>> > I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that.

>But, I
>> > like her very much; I like her cooking style and her attitude, so I put

>up
>> > with it.
>> > I also enjoy watching The Barefoot Contessor. She is always preparing a
>> > special ittle dinner on the beach with a neighbor, who is bringing the
>> > flowers and dessert. I like that, because I want to be there, too.
>> >

>> Y'all is a real, frequently used word down south. Paula's accent is what
>> grates on my nerves, and I LIVE here in the south!
>> The Barefoot Contessa just strikes me as a huge phony with her
>> "rent-a-friends" parties. Why doesn't she just say "I'm going to show
>> you how to make such-and-such today instead of pretending every show is
>> a party prep??? I like her recipes, just not the faux lifestyle she
>> portrays and that fake laugh of hers. Great house, kitchen and hair
>> though

>--
>Well if you are a southerner, why does her accent bother you; don't
>understand? It's that y'all thing that annoys me. I can see why Barefoot
>Contessa would bother you, but I kind of like that play acting; maybe it is
>not faux; maybe that is how she lives; maybe those are her friends. Choose
>to believe.

I am a southerner and it bothers me too. I have aunts who cook just
like her, even look like her but doesn't put on the act she does.
Its more of a cartoon copy of the wonderful southern women I know.

I do watch when its a topic I like, get some recipe ideas but I turn
the sound down real real low.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mrs. Dash must die wrote:
> >
> > Tonight, she makes buttery baked butter with a butter sauce.

> That's my main complaint about her. I like her schtick, and much of
> what she cooks looks delicious, but it's so heavily laden with fat and
> salt, it's a wonder she doesn't weigh 500 lbs.
>
> -L.

I know, I wonder about all that butter and heavy cream also; she loads
everything with butter. Everything she makes is fattening and bad for you,
but looks like it tastes oh so good.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> pfoley wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

lkabouttelevision.com:

> > too...

however,

her.

> > > My wife (from Oregon) can't stand her. I tried to tell her that she
> > > "cain't he'p" the way she "tawks" (I'm from Texas). But old Paula done
> > > crossed the line. She uses that North Carolinian abomination, TEXAS
> > > PETE. Ikk! Gag! Hardly worth calling a hot sauce due to its blandness.
> > >
> > > What did they use on pulled pork before Texas Pete? I've made pulled
> > > pork with El Yucateco habanera sauce and with Bufalo Chipotle sauce.
> > > Much tastier.
> > >
> > > Ted.

> > I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that.

> It's funny how the FN personalities all become self-parodies, with
> ridiculous overuse of favorite expressions, etc.
>
> I don't like Paula Deen, and abhor her stupid sons.

Geez, what do have against her sons?

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"pfoley" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...

>> > ups.com...

> lkabouttelevision.com:

>> > too...

> however,

> her.

>> > I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that.

>> It's funny how the FN personalities all become self-parodies, with
>> ridiculous overuse of favorite expressions, etc.
>>
>> I don't like Paula Deen, and abhor her stupid sons.

> Geez, what do have against her sons?

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> > > ups.com...

> lkabouttelevision.com:

> > > too...

> however,

> her.

> > > I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that.

> > It's funny how the FN personalities all become self-parodies, with
> > ridiculous overuse of favorite expressions, etc.
> >
> > I don't like Paula Deen, and abhor her stupid sons.

> Geez, what do have against her sons?

They're dumb. They're Beavis & Butt-head with southern accents.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> Like you and Goomba I like her recipes but don't care much for her theme
> parties all the time.

Ditto. Here's the thing, do they still make new shows with her?
Seems as if I've seen them all a trillion times and haven't seen a new
one in forever.

> I like Paula Deen but don't care much for her son's show.

Their show is *awful* ... I hate to say it, but there you go. I can't
listen to them and that golly gee routine they've got going on.

nancy

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

>> I don't like Paula Deen, and abhor her stupid sons.

> Geez, what do have against her sons?

Apparently you have not seen the show they now have. They travel around and
give reviews of food. Sounds innocent enough, but they act like a couple of
Gomer Pyles.

Larry T

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

said...

> Jeff Edwards wrote:
>> "iqdiva52" > wrote in
>> lkabouttelevision.co
>> m:
>>
>> > Am I the only American who can't stand Paula Deen?I'm a southerner
>> > too...
>> >

>> Nope.
>>
>> I think her show is tolerable, but nothing special. My wife,
>> however, cannot be in the same room when it is on - nails on a
>> chalkboard to her. And yes, we are southerners.

> My wife (from Oregon) can't stand her. I tried to tell her that she
> "cain't he'p" the way she "tawks" (I'm from Texas). But old Paula done
> crossed the line. She uses that North Carolinian abomination, TEXAS
> PETE. Ikk! Gag! Hardly worth calling a hot sauce due to its blandness.
>
> What did they use on pulled pork before Texas Pete? I've made pulled
> pork with El Yucateco habanera sauce and with Bufalo Chipotle sauce.
> Much tastier.
>
> Ted.

I enjoy her show!

Sure, all TV chefs have to act and talk to the camera. Paula can ham it
up as good as the next TV chef.

My all-time favorite TV chef was Justin Wilson. He was so deadpan funny.
R.I.P.

I GAR-ON-TEE!

Andy
Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Speaking of Bobby Flay...
>
> Michael

oh no.. I've said it before.. I like Bobby Flay's badness
Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:

> Well if you are a southerner, why does her accent bother you; don't
> understand?

Because accents vary by locale as well as social/environmental
background. For example, there are many different accents in the state
of NY alone.A southern accent in Georgia can be totally different than
one from Alabama or Texas....
Paula Deen's isn't a very classy accent to me.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
6.121:
> Speaking of Bobby Flay...

*chuckle* I actually caught the last couple of minutes of his newest show
the other day. It was some guy who looked to be a grizzled old pitmaster
from back in the woods beating Bobby at a bbq contest. I love that. If he
continues to travel around the country and have regular folks kick his butt
at various cuisines, I might actually watch. I couldn't take the previous
series where he would travel and watch people make dishes they have made
for 30 years and condescend to them about their techniques.

-Jeff
Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :
> I enjoy her show!
>
> Sure, all TV chefs have to act and talk to the camera. Paula can ham
> it up as good as the next TV chef.
>
> My all-time favorite TV chef was Justin Wilson. He was so deadpan
> funny. R.I.P.
>
> I GAR-ON-TEE!

I always got the sense that Justin was relatively genuine. Granted, I'm
sure he was putting some of it on, but I could buy that he was an old
cajun coot from the swamp for the most part. I think the problem a lot
of people have with Paula is that something about it just doesn't seem
real. Maybe she's being very true to herself, but it comes across as
over-the-top in a manufactured way.

-Jeff
Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Jeff Edwards wrote:
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
> 6.121:
> > Speaking of Bobby Flay...

> *chuckle* I actually caught the last couple of minutes of his newest show
> the other day. It was some guy who looked to be a grizzled old pitmaster
> from back in the woods beating Bobby at a bbq contest. I love that. If he
> continues to travel around the country and have regular folks kick his butt
> at various cuisines, I might actually watch. I couldn't take the previous
> series where he would travel and watch people make dishes they have made
> for 30 years and condescend to them about their techniques.

I've seen two of those episodes (pizza and barbecue), and Flay lost
each time. That was pretty cool.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"LT" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>> > As for Paula Deen, she would be a lot easier to take if you turned

>> off the

> sound, and turned on live captions.
> But her cooking's not bad.
>
> Larry T

You think listening to Paula Dean with her Southern accent is hard to take.
Try watching the Closed Captions .. they dont know what to type when it
comes to some of the words thats used. Now thats funny !

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"Jeff Edwards" > wrote in message
5.20...
> Andy <q> wrote in :
> > I enjoy her show!
> >
> > Sure, all TV chefs have to act and talk to the camera. Paula can ham
> > it up as good as the next TV chef.
> >
> > My all-time favorite TV chef was Justin Wilson. He was so deadpan
> > funny. R.I.P.
> >
> > I GAR-ON-TEE!

> I always got the sense that Justin was relatively genuine. Granted, I'm
> sure he was putting some of it on, but I could buy that he was an old
> cajun coot from the swamp for the most part. I think the problem a lot
> of people have with Paula is that something about it just doesn't seem
> real. Maybe she's being very true to herself, but it comes across as
> over-the-top in a manufactured way.
>
> -Jeff

I think that she is a hard-working woman who struggled to get where she is
today but never allowed the money and fame to change her character. If you
watched her Chefology, she really is inspirational...and I love her cooking
but I guess I am biased being from N.C....and I do like Texas-Pete!

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"DonEagles" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Edwards" > wrote in message
> 5.20...
> > Andy <q> wrote in :
> > > I enjoy her show!
> > >
> > > Sure, all TV chefs have to act and talk to the camera. Paula can ham
> > > it up as good as the next TV chef.
> > >
> > > My all-time favorite TV chef was Justin Wilson. He was so deadpan
> > > funny. R.I.P.
> > >
> > > I GAR-ON-TEE!

> > I always got the sense that Justin was relatively genuine. Granted, I'm
> > sure he was putting some of it on, but I could buy that he was an old
> > cajun coot from the swamp for the most part. I think the problem a lot
> > of people have with Paula is that something about it just doesn't seem
> > real. Maybe she's being very true to herself, but it comes across as
> > over-the-top in a manufactured way.
> >
> > -Jeff

> I think that she is a hard-working woman who struggled to get where she is
> today but never allowed the money and fame to change her character. If

you
> watched her Chefology, she really is inspirational...and I love her

cooking
> but I guess I am biased being from N.C....and I do like Texas-Pete!

==
I agree, that is the way I feel about her also.
----

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Jeff Edwards wrote:

> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
> 6.121:
> > Speaking of Bobby Flay...

> chuckle I actually caught the last couple of minutes of his newest
> show the other day. It was some guy who looked to be a grizzled old
> pitmaster from back in the woods beating Bobby at a bbq contest. I
> love that. If he continues to travel around the country and have
> regular folks kick his butt at various cuisines, I might actually
> watch.

His success rate has been less than 50% I think. The deck's a bit
stacked against the challengees, but it's still tough trying to take on
experts in a particular field, even with all the prep.

> I couldn't take the previous series where he would travel and
> watch people make dishes they have made for 30 years and condescend
> to them about their techniques.

I call BS on this. I never saw him be anything but appreciative and
respectful in his travelogue shows.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote
>
> > Like you and Goomba I like her recipes but don't care much for her
> > theme parties all the time.

> Ditto. Here's the thing, do they still make new shows with her?
> Seems as if I've seen them all a trillion times and haven't seen a new
> one in forever.
>
> > I like Paula Deen but don't care much for her son's show.

> Their show is awful ... I hate to say it, but there you go. I can't
> listen to them and that golly gee routine they've got going on.

I find them to be ACTING too much, and fairly annoying. The only one I
watched all the way was the Missouri one.

I firmly believe in changing the channel when you don't like the
program.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

"Jeff Edwards" > wrote in message
5.20...
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
> 6.121:
>> Speaking of Bobby Flay...

> *chuckle* I actually caught the last couple of minutes of his newest show
> the other day. It was some guy who looked to be a grizzled old pitmaster
> from back in the woods beating Bobby at a bbq contest.

And my brother beat the guy who beat Bobby (placed 4th out of 42 entries for
brisket) at a Cabela's BBQ cook-off in Hamburg, PA recently...

Mary

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> said...
>

> > Jeff Edwards wrote:
> >> "iqdiva52" > wrote in
> >> lkabouttelevision.co
> >> m:

> >> Nope.
> >>
> >> I think her show is tolerable, but nothing special. My wife,
> >> however, cannot be in the same room when it is on - nails on a
> >> chalkboard to her. And yes, we are southerners.

> > My wife (from Oregon) can't stand her. I tried to tell her that she
> > "cain't he'p" the way she "tawks" (I'm from Texas). But old Paula done
> > crossed the line. She uses that North Carolinian abomination, TEXAS
> > PETE. Ikk! Gag! Hardly worth calling a hot sauce due to its blandness.
> >
> > What did they use on pulled pork before Texas Pete? I've made pulled
> > pork with El Yucateco habanera sauce and with Bufalo Chipotle sauce.
> > Much tastier.
> >
> > Ted.

> I enjoy her show!
>
> Sure, all TV chefs have to act and talk to the camera. Paula can ham it
> up as good as the next TV chef.
>
> My all-time favorite TV chef was Justin Wilson. He was so deadpan funny.
> R.I.P.
>
> I GAR-ON-TEE!

That's because he was also a comedian! Check out his records sometime.

Susan B.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

Jeff Edwards wrote:
> Andy <q> wrote in :
> > I enjoy her show!
> >
> > Sure, all TV chefs have to act and talk to the camera. Paula can ham
> > it up as good as the next TV chef.
> >
> > My all-time favorite TV chef was Justin Wilson. He was so deadpan
> > funny. R.I.P.
> >
> > I GAR-ON-TEE!

> I always got the sense that Justin was relatively genuine. Granted, I'm
> sure he was putting some of it on, but I could buy that he was an old
> cajun coot from the swamp for the most part. I think the problem a lot
> of people have with Paula is that something about it just doesn't seem
> real. Maybe she's being very true to herself, but it comes across as
> over-the-top in a manufactured way.
>
> -Jeff

Justin Wilson was a highway safety engineer working for the state of
Louisiana. He would travel around the state and put on safety
lectures. He was so funny that he became a professional comedian. The
cooking was just a hobby. He put out comedy records and toured with
big bands.

It's odd that now he's known for the cooking shows, but it was really
the humor in his presentation, rather than the magnificence of the
recipes, that made those shows popular.

Ob topic: I don't watch much Food TV anymore because I'm sick of the
same faces over and over. Flay at least tries to do different things.
Paula Deen is the same act over and over. I don't need to watch her
untalented sons - so I don't.

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Larry wrote (I undid cross-posting):

> As for Paula Deen, she would be a lot easier to take if you turned off the
> sound, and turned on live captions.
> But her cooking's not bad.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you; I find her cooking little better
than Sandra Lee's. I'd also modify your first sentence as follows:

"As for Paula Deen, she would be a lot easier to take if you turned off the
television."

Bob

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

> I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that. But, I
> like her very much; I like her cooking style and her attitude, so I put up
> with it.
> I also enjoy watching The Barefoot Contessor. She is always preparing a
> special ittle dinner on the beach with a neighbor, who is bringing the
> flowers and dessert. I like that, because I want to be there, too.

I can do without Paula and the Bubbas, but have always really enjoyed
Ina Garten.
Have been busy the past few months chairing an fundraising auction for
our local Habitat for Humanity. We thought it would be fun to include
a few celebrity items, so the search was on...First to respond with a
lovely signed cookbook was The Barefoot Contessa. Of the celeb chefs,
Ina Garten was the only one who even had a means of contact and she's
aces in my book!

Nancy T

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

ntantiques wrote:

> Have been busy the past few months chairing an fundraising auction for
> our local Habitat for Humanity. We thought it would be fun to include
> a few celebrity items, so the search was on...First to respond with a
> lovely signed cookbook was The Barefoot Contessa. Of the celeb chefs,
> Ina Garten was the only one who even had a means of contact and she's
> aces in my book!

Yes, that was classy of her.
Did you have any other responders?
Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

LT wrote:
> > Y'all is a real, frequently used word down south. Paula's accent is what
> > grates on my nerves, and I LIVE here in the south!
> > The Barefoot Contessa just strikes me as a huge phony with her
> > "rent-a-friends" parties. Why doesn't she just say "I'm going to show you
> > how to make such-and-such today instead of pretending every show is a
> > party prep??? I like her recipes, just not the faux lifestyle she portrays
> > and that fake laugh of hers. Great house, kitchen and hair though

> I get the same feeling about Ina Garten. She's a women of heft (snicker) and
> I always get a kick out of how her face lights up when she starts making
> dessert.

Um, The Barefoot Contessa *is* Ina Garten

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On 14 Sep 2006 12:23:13 -0700, wrote:

>pfoley wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> too...

>> > My wife (from Oregon) can't stand her. I tried to tell her that she
>> > "cain't he'p" the way she "tawks" (I'm from Texas). But old Paula done
>> > crossed the line. She uses that North Carolinian abomination, TEXAS
>> > PETE. Ikk! Gag! Hardly worth calling a hot sauce due to its blandness.
>> >
>> > What did they use on pulled pork before Texas Pete? I've made pulled
>> > pork with El Yucateco habanera sauce and with Bufalo Chipotle sauce.
>> > Much tastier.
>> >
>> > Ted.

>> I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that.

>It's funny how the FN personalities all become self-parodies, with
>ridiculous overuse of favorite expressions, etc.

Maybe that's because it's a network full of people that are being
themselves. Unlike actors that play a character on TV, on the Food
Network, what you see is what you'd get in real life.

Personally, outside the television world, I'd much rather spend time
with Paula than Bobby, Ina, or Emeril. Not liking someone just
because they have an accent is like disliking someone because you
don't like their name. It's a grade school mentality, imo.

Posted to alt.tv.food-network,rec.food.cooking

On 14 Sep 2006 20:17:02 -0700, "ntantiques" >
wrote:

>> I hate the expression (y'all) that she overuses; sorry about that. But, I
>> like her very much; I like her cooking style and her attitude, so I put up
>> with it.
>> I also enjoy watching The Barefoot Contessor. She is always preparing a
>> special ittle dinner on the beach with a neighbor, who is bringing the
>> flowers and dessert. I like that, because I want to be there, too.
>> >

>I can do without Paula and the Bubbas, but have always really enjoyed
>Ina Garten.
>Have been busy the past few months chairing an fundraising auction for
>our local Habitat for Humanity. We thought it would be fun to include
>a few celebrity items, so the search was on...First to respond with a
>lovely signed cookbook was The Barefoot Contessa. Of the celeb chefs,
>Ina Garten was the only one who even had a means of contact and she's
>aces in my book!
>
>Nancy T

If she was the only one you could contact, maybe that's why she was
the first to respond?

My take on the Paula Deen story ImStillMags General Cooking 41 02-07-2013 08:28 PM
Paula Deen, OOPS! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 0 15-11-2009 07:03 PM
Paula Deen 10-1-06 sf General Cooking 6 03-10-2006 03:38 AM
I ate at Paula Deen's place Goomba38 General Cooking 59 26-09-2006 04:20 PM
Paula Deen CB General Cooking 128 19-12-2004 03:24 AM