Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default My take on the Paula Deen story

I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas. Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant. Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave behind them..

I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand for in our nation.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:54:53 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas. Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant. Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave behind them.
>
>I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand for in our nation.
>
>http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

There's something not quite right with all the vitriol against people
like Deen, and people who may be perceived in the same way... a sort
of reverse intolerance/bigotry with a twist of good 'ol medieval
"she's a witch, burn her" mentality thrown in for good measure.

In one way we are progressing but at the same time regressing, IMO.

Disclaimer for those simpletons I am referring to:
The above doesn't mean I agree with anything she has said.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:40:59 PM UTC-7, Jeßus wrote:

> There's something not quite right with all the vitriol against people
>
> like Deen, and people who may be perceived in the same way... a sort
>
> of reverse intolerance/bigotry with a twist of good 'ol medieval
>
> "she's a witch, burn her" mentality thrown in for good measure.
>

> In one way we are progressing but at the same time regressing, IMO.

I know it seems that way now. But I think it is the progression and evolution of our society waking up and becoming accountable for our thoughts words and deeds and working our way to living with more integrity.

There is nothing wrong with being acutely aware of every thing that comes out of minds and our mouths.

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/29/2013 1:54 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas. Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant. Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave behind them.
>
> I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand for in our nation.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

Before you feel to secure with all this consider, the "n" word is still
perfectly fine for rappers and people of a certain coloration or
heritage to use.

And that is just plain wrong.

It doesn't need to be de-mystified, it needs to be un-circulated.

What is happening to Deen now is known as "piling on".

It's no more pleasant in the public arena than it is in a football arena.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 13:46:53 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:40:59 PM UTC-7, Jeßus wrote:
>

>> There's something not quite right with all the vitriol against people
>>
>> like Deen, and people who may be perceived in the same way... a sort
>>
>> of reverse intolerance/bigotry with a twist of good 'ol medieval
>>
>> "she's a witch, burn her" mentality thrown in for good measure.
>>

>> In one way we are progressing but at the same time regressing, IMO.
>>

>I know it seems that way now. But I think it is the progression and evolution of our society waking up and becoming accountable for our thoughts words and deeds and working our way to living with more integrity.
>
>There is nothing wrong with being acutely aware of every thing that comes out of minds and our mouths.
>
>“Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Agreed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people
> have just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and
> agendas. Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become
> irrelevant. Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most
> people want do leave behind them.
>
> I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a
> tidy empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in
> that we seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past
> actions stand for in our nation.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

I'm not a fan of Paula Deen, but when I look at her I don't see a hate
monger.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:
> I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have
> just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas.
> Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant.
> Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave behind them.
>
> I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy
> empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we
> seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand for in our nation.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 6/29/2013 1:54 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have
>> just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas.
>> Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant.
>> Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave
>> behind them.
>>
>> I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy
>> empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we
>> seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand
>> for in our nation.
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2
>>

> Before you feel to secure with all this consider, the "n" word is still
> perfectly fine for rappers and people of a certain coloration or heritage
> to use.
>
> And that is just plain wrong.
>
> It doesn't need to be de-mystified, it needs to be un-circulated.
>
> What is happening to Deen now is known as "piling on".
>
> It's no more pleasant in the public arena than it is in a football arena.

Otherwise known as dog-piling. But... She is doing herself no favors. She
needs to just shut up. The more she says, the worse she makes herself look.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>> I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have
>> just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas.
>> Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant.
>> Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave
>> behind them.
>>
>> I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy
>> empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we
>> seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand
>> for in our nation.
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.

You're kidding! She was everywhere! You don't remember the whole diabetes
thing where she covered that up, all the while cooking buttery and sugary
dishes and slugging down sweet tea? Then she was photographed on some
cruise stuffing a giant burger in her face. That was everywhere!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:35:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"gregz" > wrote in message
>> ImStillMags > wrote:
>>> I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have
>>> just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas.
>>> Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant.
>>> Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave
>>> behind them.
>>>
>>> I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy
>>> empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we
>>> seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand
>>> for in our nation.
>>>
>>> http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

>> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.

>You're kidding! She was everywhere! You don't remember the whole diabetes
>thing where she covered that up, all the while cooking buttery and sugary
>dishes and slugging down sweet tea? Then she was photographed on some
>cruise stuffing a giant burger in her face. That was everywhere!

If it wasn't for RFC, I would never have heard of her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:35:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.

>>You're kidding! She was everywhere! You don't remember the whole
>>diabetes
>>thing where she covered that up, all the while cooking buttery and sugary
>>dishes and slugging down sweet tea? Then she was photographed on some
>>cruise stuffing a giant burger in her face. That was everywhere!

> If it wasn't for RFC, I would never have heard of her.

Nor me!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 7:48:23 PM UTC-7, gregz wrote:
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have

> > just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas.

> > Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant.

> > Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave behind them.

> > I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy

> > empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we

> > seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand for in our nation.

> > http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.

Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be known to all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and Nigella wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, June 29, 2013 7:48:23 PM UTC-7, gregz wrote:
>> ImStillMags > wrote:
>>
>> > I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people
>> > have

>> > just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas.

>> > Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant.

>> > Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do
>> > leave behind them.

>> > I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy

>> > empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we

>> > seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand
>> > for in our nation.

>> > http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

>> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.
>>

> Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be known to
> all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and Nigella
> wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.

I don't think I've ever seen Nigella on a show. I keep seeing her pic in
magazines now and she looks totally unfamiliar to me. Even that Sandra
whatshername that doesn't really cook is not someone I saw much except for
commercials. I did see her show a couple of times but only by accident.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2013 4:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.
>>>

>> Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be known to
>> all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and Nigella
>> wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.

> I don't think I've ever seen Nigella on a show. I keep seeing her pic in
> magazines now and she looks totally unfamiliar to me. Even that Sandra
> whatshername that doesn't really cook is not someone I saw much except for
> commercials. I did see her show a couple of times but only by accident.

Nigella is seen more regularly on the BBC and Australian TV.

She's also been on Iron Chef here and "The Taste" on ABC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 6/30/2013 4:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be known
>>> all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and Nigella
>>> wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.

>> I don't think I've ever seen Nigella on a show. I keep seeing her pic in
>> magazines now and she looks totally unfamiliar to me. Even that Sandra
>> whatshername that doesn't really cook is not someone I saw much except
>> for
>> commercials. I did see her show a couple of times but only by accident.
>>

> Nigella is seen more regularly on the BBC and Australian TV.
>
> She's also been on Iron Chef here and "The Taste" on ABC.

Ohhh... Never heard of "The Taste" but don't usually watch ABC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
wrote:

>>> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.

>> Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be
>> known to all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and
>> Nigella wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.

>They would be known to most people who post in a cooking news group.

Not necessarilly... I used to watch foodtv every day but I stopped
watching years ago... I stopped watching foodtv shortly after the OJ
trial ended, when celebrity chefs transformed far more towards
celebrity than chefing. I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
Nigella show.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2013 4:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't think I've ever seen Nigella on a show. I keep seeing her pic in
>>> magazines now and she looks totally unfamiliar to me. Even that Sandra
>>> whatshername that doesn't really cook is not someone I saw much except
>>> for
>>> commercials. I did see her show a couple of times but only by accident.
>>>

>> Nigella is seen more regularly on the BBC and Australian TV.
>>
>> She's also been on Iron Chef here and "The Taste" on ABC.

> Ohhh... Never heard of "The Taste" but don't usually watch ABC.

It's been renewed for a new season despite low ratings, it's a chef
competition series.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2876049.html

We wanted to like "The Taste," ABC's food reality show with judges
Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludo Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey. But
it was pretty clear from the first episode that this was just not going
to work.

And while ratings were initially promising, Eater brings word that
Tuesday's finale scored a series-low rating of 1.1 in the 18-49 year-old
demographic.

So what went wrong? Let's start with the hosts. Two of them -- Anthony
Bourdain and Nigella Lawson -- have massive fan bases. One would think
their fans would come flocking toward a new show. However, the format of
"The Taste" was not at all aligned with either of their images. Bourdain
became so well-liked thanks to his tell-all book, "Kitchen Confidential"
and then later due to his always says-what-he's-thinking style on Travel
Channel's "No Reservations." He's brash, candid and performs best when
he can be the star. But "The Taste" puts him on equal footing with folks
like Brian Malarkey, a former mild-mannered, not particularly famous
"Top Chef" contestant. Bourdain's fans have repeatedly called him out
for selling out and Bourdain continues to defend himself, but no one's
buying it. People want to see Bourdain eat pig bladder a lot more than
they want to see him eat a dainty spoonful of noodle kugel.

While one can argue that Bourdain isn't for everyone, Nigella Lawson is.
She's beautiful, likable and relatable. But just as Bourdain does best
when he can run his mouth wildly, Nigella does best when she's cooking
and teaching -- not when she's critiquing others.

Combine these two personalities with Malarkey and Los Angeles chef Ludo
Lefebvre, a dose of really horrible lighting, an unoriginal concept (oh,
hello, "The Voice"), a strange mix of professional chefs and eager home
cooks as contestants, and you get a bizarre and forced hodgepodge of a show.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa bona" > wrote in message
> On 6/30/2013 4:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Nigella is seen more regularly on the BBC and Australian TV.
>>>
>>> She's also been on Iron Chef here and "The Taste" on ABC.

>> Ohhh... Never heard of "The Taste" but don't usually watch ABC.
>>

> It's been renewed for a new season despite low ratings, it's a chef
> competition series.
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2876049.html
>
> We wanted to like "The Taste," ABC's food reality show with judges Anthony
> Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludo Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey. But it was
> pretty clear from the first episode that this was just not going to work.
>
> And while ratings were initially promising, Eater brings word that
> Tuesday's finale scored a series-low rating of 1.1 in the 18-49 year-old
> demographic.
>
> So what went wrong? Let's start with the hosts. Two of them -- Anthony
> Bourdain and Nigella Lawson -- have massive fan bases. One would think
> their fans would come flocking toward a new show. However, the format of
> "The Taste" was not at all aligned with either of their images. Bourdain
> became so well-liked thanks to his tell-all book, "Kitchen Confidential"
> and then later due to his always says-what-he's-thinking style on Travel
> Channel's "No Reservations." He's brash, candid and performs best when he
> can be the star. But "The Taste" puts him on equal footing with folks like
> Brian Malarkey, a former mild-mannered, not particularly famous "Top Chef"
> contestant. Bourdain's fans have repeatedly called him out for selling out
> and Bourdain continues to defend himself, but no one's buying it. People
> want to see Bourdain eat pig bladder a lot more than they want to see him
> eat a dainty spoonful of noodle kugel.
>
> While one can argue that Bourdain isn't for everyone, Nigella Lawson is.
> She's beautiful, likable and relatable. But just as Bourdain does best
> when he can run his mouth wildly, Nigella does best when she's cooking and
> teaching -- not when she's critiquing others.
>
> Combine these two personalities with Malarkey and Los Angeles chef Ludo
> Lefebvre, a dose of really horrible lighting, an unoriginal concept (oh,
> hello, "The Voice"), a strange mix of professional chefs and eager home
> cooks as contestants, and you get a bizarre and forced hodgepodge of a
> show.

That doesn't really sound like something I'd like. I do like Anthony
Bourdain but for the reasons they listed. Not that I really want him to
eat Pig Bladder! I just like watching him go to other places. Although I
like to see other places, I hate traveling and don't really want to go there
with a few exceptions. For some reason Papua New Guinea looked appealing to
me. And I have always wanted to go to Mexico. The only reason that is
stopping me from doing that is that I don't really feel that it is safe to
go there. Plus I would not want to go to the places people keep telling me
to go. Like Cabo. Just not really into touristy places like that. They're
okay for a couple of hours or maybe even a day while passing through. But
just not where I'd want to spend a week or two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:26:07 -0400, Brooklyn1

wrote:

>>> Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be
>>> known to all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and
>>> Nigella wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.

>>They would be known to most people who post in a cooking news group.

>Not necessarilly... I used to watch foodtv every day but I stopped
>watching years ago... I stopped watching foodtv shortly after the OJ
>trial ended, when celebrity chefs transformed far more towards
>celebrity than chefing. I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
>Nigella show.

I didn't realize that the Food Network was as old as the Simpson
trial.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>They would be known to most people who post in a cooking news group.

>>Not necessarilly... I used to watch foodtv every day but I stopped
>>watching years ago... I stopped watching foodtv shortly after the OJ
>>trial ended, when celebrity chefs transformed far more towards
>>celebrity than chefing. I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
>>Nigella show.

> I didn't realize that the Food Network was as old as the Simpson
> trial.
> Janet US

I don't know how old that is. I know it was on in 1998 when I had Angela.
We had cheap cable at home but it was crappy. We were living on a military
base and at that time our only option for cable was to go through this guy.
I paid $12 per month and I think that included HBO but other than that we
only got maybe 20 channels. One of those was the base channel that had
updates like telling us not to use the water. Of the extra channels we got,
most were sports channels. We might have gotten Lifetime.

After I had Angela, I kept the hospital channel on the Food Network round
the clock. I began to get annoyed because they kept repeating things but...
I was starving for some TV other than what I could get at home. Never was a
fan of the major networks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "gregz" > wrote in message
>> ImStillMags > wrote:
>>> I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have
>>> just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas.
>>> Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant.
>>> Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave
>>> behind them.
>>>
>>> I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy
>>> empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we
>>> seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand
>>> for in our nation.
>>>
>>> http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

>> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.

> You're kidding! She was everywhere! You don't remember the whole diabetes
> thing where she covered that up, all the while cooking buttery and sugary
> dishes and slugging down sweet tea? Then she was photographed on some
> cruise stuffing a giant burger in her face. That was everywhere!

Nope. If I ran into her face on tv, must not have been into whatever it
was.
Wasn't on a gossip showbiz show was it ? I don't watch those.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> [...]

>> show.

> That doesn't really sound like something I'd like. I do like Anthony
> Bourdain but for the reasons they listed. Not that I really want him to
> eat Pig Bladder! I just like watching him go to other places. Although I
> like to see other places, I hate traveling and don't really want to go there
> with a few exceptions. For some reason Papua New Guinea looked appealing to
> me. And I have always wanted to go to Mexico. The only reason that is
> stopping me from doing that is that I don't really feel that it is safe to
> go there. Plus I would not want to go to the places people keep telling me
> to go. Like Cabo. Just not really into touristy places like that. They're
> okay for a couple of hours or maybe even a day while passing through. But
> just not where I'd want to spend a week or two.

I liked the Bourdain shows because the were interesting, casual,
informative, good scenery, have interesting music. I could have the show
on, and even not paying attention to it, and feel relaxed. No commotion, no
tests, or arguments. What the hell am I doing here !!

Those competition shows, hurry up and finish, I can't stand.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message

>>> Prior to this I never saw or heard of her. I'm tired of it.
>>>

>> Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be known
>> to all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and Nigella
>> wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.

> I don't think I've ever seen Nigella on a show. I keep seeing her pic in
> magazines now and she looks totally unfamiliar to me. Even that Sandra
> whatshername that doesn't really cook is not someone I saw much except for
> commercials. I did see her show a couple of times but only by accident.

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAYS_3n1OM

I don't watch her! She annoys the heck out of me! Plenty there to watch!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be
>>> known to all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and
>>> Nigella wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.

>>They would be known to most people who post in a cooking news group.

> Not necessarilly... I used to watch foodtv every day but I stopped
> watching years ago... I stopped watching foodtv shortly after the OJ
> trial ended, when celebrity chefs transformed far more towards
> celebrity than chefing. I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
> Nigella show.

Oh you would love Nigella. She plays the 'sex' card thing when she does her
cooking shows! Watch her tasting stuff.

She is on youtube see a sample he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PF_mPwc-g8

A bio of her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8008srNJUhg
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
> Nigella show.

I'm amazed you've missed watching Nigella.. she has all your favourite
attributes in a woman. A still picture doesn't really do her justice :-)

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:25:48 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, gravesend10
says...

> I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
>> Nigella show.

> I'm amazed you've missed watching Nigella.. she has all your favourite
>attributes in a woman. A still picture doesn't really do her justice :-)

I just watched about two minutes of Nigella on the Utube that Ophelia
posted... listening to her voice turned me off... and she has a
*sloppy* over weight figure, she might be attractive if she dropped a
hundred pounds and exercised some, but then she'd very likely barely
fill a B cup. Her facial features are sort of coarse... I don't find
her attractive, and from how she handles ingredients I can tell she
can't cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 08:39:44 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:25:48 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>>In article >, gravesend10
says...

>> I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
>>> Nigella show.

>> I'm amazed you've missed watching Nigella.. she has all your favourite
>>attributes in a woman. A still picture doesn't really do her justice :-)

>I just watched about two minutes of Nigella on the Utube that Ophelia
>posted... listening to her voice turned me off... and she has a
>*sloppy* over weight figure, she might be attractive if she dropped a
>hundred pounds and exercised some, but then she'd very likely barely
>fill a B cup. Her facial features are sort of coarse... I don't find
>her attractive, and from how she handles ingredients I can tell she
>can't cook.

Shame on you. Her figure is just zaftig. Who do you think carries
around those D cups you prefer?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:14:20 PM UTC-5, casa bona wrote:
> On 6/29/2013 1:54 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > I think the larger picture is this. A growing majority of people have just had it with all the strife, bigotry, racism, angst and agendas. Whether she said something 20 years ago or not has become irrelevant. Paula Deen has become the poster child of what most people want do leave behind them.

> > I feel a bit sad for Paula Deen because it means the collapse of a tidy empire she had built, but I feel a bit better about society in that we seem to be, finally, saying "no" to everything here past actions stand for in our nation.

> > http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/27/news...html?hpt=hp_t2

> Before you feel to secure with all this consider, the "n" word is still
>
> perfectly fine for rappers and people of a certain coloration or
>
> heritage to use.
>

> And that is just plain wrong.

I agree in most contexts. I use the word in a lyric, but the song is
a condemnation of racism (among other things). Using it casually is
crappy.

> It doesn't need to be de-mystified, it needs to be un-circulated.

For the most part, I agree.

> What is happening to Deen now is known as "piling on".

Her plantation wedding crap is why I'm throwing a shovel full on her.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2013 8:52 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 08:39:44 -0400, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>> I just watched about two minutes of Nigella on the Utube that Ophelia
>> posted... listening to her voice turned me off... and she has a
>> *sloppy* over weight figure, she might be attractive if she dropped a
>> hundred pounds and exercised some, but then she'd very likely barely
>> fill a B cup. Her facial features are sort of coarse... I don't find
>> her attractive, and from how she handles ingredients I can tell she
>> can't cook.

> Shame on you. Her figure is just zaftig. Who do you think carries
> around those D cups you prefer?
> Janet US

Women with implants? I see some really thin women with huge breasts
that don't make any sense. I keep waiting for them to tip over...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:38:03 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/1/2013 8:52 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 08:39:44 -0400, Brooklyn1
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I just watched about two minutes of Nigella on the Utube that Ophelia
>>> posted... listening to her voice turned me off... and she has a
>>> *sloppy* over weight figure, she might be attractive if she dropped a
>>> hundred pounds and exercised some, but then she'd very likely barely
>>> fill a B cup. Her facial features are sort of coarse... I don't find
>>> her attractive, and from how she handles ingredients I can tell she
>>> can't cook.

>> Shame on you. Her figure is just zaftig. Who do you think carries
>> around those D cups you prefer?
>> Janet US
>>

>Women with implants? I see some really thin women with huge breasts
>that don't make any sense. I keep waiting for them to tip over...
>
>Jill

That's what I was picturing as I wrote the above. ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vegan Earthworm Holocaust wrote:

> Her plantation wedding crap is why I'm throwing a shovel full on her.

No need to be so anal about her doing history recreation for that wedding.
That's the way it was way back then and you can't change that. I'm sure lots
of black people lost out on a good evenings job when this was canceled.

When slaves were first freed, many of them stayed on and worked for their
plantations where they grew up. It was their home. It was nice to be finally
free, but not all chose to leave.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 06:52:04 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 08:39:44 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:25:48 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>>
>>>In article >, gravesend10
says...

>>> I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
>>>
>>> I'm amazed you've missed watching Nigella.. she has all your favourite
>>>attributes in a woman. A still picture doesn't really do her justice :-)

>>I just watched about two minutes of Nigella on the Utube that Ophelia
>>posted... listening to her voice turned me off... and she has a
>>*sloppy* over weight figure, she might be attractive if she dropped a
>>hundred pounds and exercised some, but then she'd very likely barely
>>fill a B cup. Her facial features are sort of coarse... I don't find
>>her attractive, and from how she handles ingredients I can tell she
>>can't cook.

>Shame on you. Her figure is just zaftig. Who do you think carries
>around those D cups you prefer?
>Janet US

Nigella doesn't look at all attractive unless in that video she's
really eight months pregnant. Those aren't mammary glands, those are
90% fat. That's not zoftig, that's sloppy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2013 6:39 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:25:48 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >, gravesend10
>> @verizon.net says...
>>>

>> I don't remember ever seeing a Rachael Ray or
>>> Nigella show.

>> I'm amazed you've missed watching Nigella.. she has all your favourite
>> attributes in a woman. A still picture doesn't really do her justice :-)

> I just watched about two minutes of Nigella on the Utube that Ophelia
> posted... listening to her voice turned me off... and she has a
> *sloppy* over weight figure, she might be attractive if she dropped a
> hundred pounds and exercised some, but then she'd very likely barely
> fill a B cup. Her facial features are sort of coarse... I don't find
> her attractive, and from how she handles ingredients I can tell she
> can't cook.

The shallowness you evince in that reply says a lot more about you than
it does her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2013 1:17 PM, Gary wrote:
> Vegan Earthworm Holocaust wrote:
>>
>> Her plantation wedding crap is why I'm throwing a shovel full on her.

> No need to be so anal about her doing history recreation for that wedding.
> That's the way it was way back then and you can't change that. I'm sure lots
> of black people lost out on a good evenings job when this was canceled.
>
> When slaves were first freed, many of them stayed on and worked for their
> plantations where they grew up. It was their home. It was nice to be finally
> free, but not all chose to leave.
>
> G.

Correctamundo. The freed slaves were for the most part, uneducated,
had few personal possessions and nowhere to go so most stayed where they
were... at least for a while.

If you would like some fascinating reading about this subject, go to
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30576...-h/30576-h.htm

These are the first hand stories of former slaves recorded in the
1930's. Some (maybe most) slaves had a horrible life.... others were
owned by somewhat enlightened "masters" who fed and housed them very
well.... and educated them alongside their own children.

For me, reading these stories was an eye-opening experience. (Note...
some of the stories were from slaves who lived very close to where I
live now or close to where I lived in Louisiana. That made it that much
more real to me.)

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2013 3:00 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> Correctamundo. The freed slaves were for the most part, uneducated,
> had few personal possessions and nowhere to go so most stayed where they
> were... at least for a while.
>
> If you would like some fascinating reading about this subject, go to
> http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30576...-h/30576-h.htm

I love that archive. We used it a lot in a college writing course I
took recently.

> These are the first hand stories of former slaves recorded in the
> 1930's. Some (maybe most) slaves had a horrible life.... others were
> owned by somewhat enlightened "masters" who fed and housed them very
> well.... and educated them alongside their own children.
>
> For me, reading these stories was an eye-opening experience. (Note...
> some of the stories were from slaves who lived very close to where I
> live now or close to where I lived in Louisiana. That made it that much
> more real to me.)

Indeed!
--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> Many posters here spoke of Food Network hosts like they should be known
>>> to all. I recall discussions of the hotness of Rachael Ray and Nigella
>>> wotsername -- that prompted me to look them up.

>> I don't think I've ever seen Nigella on a show. I keep seeing her pic in
>> magazines now and she looks totally unfamiliar to me. Even that Sandra
>> whatshername that doesn't really cook is not someone I saw much except
>> for
>> commercials. I did see her show a couple of times but only by accident.

> Here ya go:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAYS_3n1OM
>
> I don't watch her! She annoys the heck out of me! Plenty there to watch!

Based on that one clip, I don't like her! She says she is excited about her
new book but does not sound excited!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> Shame on you. Her figure is just zaftig. Who do you think carries
> around those D cups you prefer?
> Janet US

They're often fake! Sure some smaller women have the big bazoombas but
mostly fake. I can remember seeing a woman at Party City who had big ones
that just jutted out from her tiny frame. She was sort of like carrying
them around like they weren't really a part of her. Saw another woman
dancing. She would move but those parts wouldn't.

Paula Deen, OOPS! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 0 15-11-2009 06:03 PM
Paula Deen 10-1-06 sf General Cooking 6 03-10-2006 03:38 AM
I Don't like Paula Deen [email protected] General Cooking 87 18-09-2006 07:32 PM
Another Paula Deen gripe me General Cooking 42 29-12-2004 08:10 PM
Paula Deen CB General Cooking 128 19-12-2004 02:24 AM