Old 29-07-2013, 01:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Zukes!

On 07/27/2013 01:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Todd wrote:
snip interestin gardening advice

: I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
incubating. Plan
: on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
: pan.

: I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
: going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
: their offspring for a drive in the country and
: figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

: I am babbling.

: -T

: WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)

Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.

Just my view on these vegetables.

I don't think the giant ones are very flavorful, even though zucchini
in and of itself really isn't very flavorful. I used to be gifted
with giant ones all the time when I worked in the Garden Shop. I
would just grate them and make them into zucchini bread which I mostly
gave away.

I went to a local farmer co-op today where the woman was bringing fresh
picked zukes in, a couple were fairly large and I bought them. I roasted
them in the oven with some red peppers and the squash was really good.

Cheri

Oh Man!

Old 29-07-2013, 01:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/27/2013 10:32 AM, Billy wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
very, very little fruit.

Excess water, and fertilizer tells your plant that it is an endless
summer, and that they can grow, and grow, because there is no rush.
Cutting back on fertilizer, and water tells the plants that summer is
coming to an end, and that it had better produce seed (fruit), if it
wants to survive.

Thank you. I will be careful.

Franken Carp? Like Franken Food: GMO?

No, I am just insulting the things. Koi or domesticated common
carp (Cyprinus carpio) eat, poop and poop and poop and poop, add
tons of nitrogen to the water, cause algae blooms, starve off
the oxygen from the water, and make things miserable on trout.

Someone, probably thinking they were settings them free, released
a bunch of them in one of my favorite urban fishing ponds. The
word is to catch and kill. (There are a lot of trash can around
the pond.)

Much better just to unceremoniously flush them down the toilet
or give them to a farmer with a pond. There their excess pooping
an be put to good use.

And, Koi and UGLY too, hence the term "Franken Carp".

Eat them small, and stop terrorizing your neighbors.

Where is the fun in that! How did you know, by the way?

It's that time of the year, when people start locking doors to their
homes, and vehicles, because they know that gardeners will be dumping
zuchs.

You know you live in a small town when you have to lock your car
doors when you visit your neighbors, or you will find your back seat
filled with zucchini.

By the way, I am still waiting for that abundance of zukes
everyone keeps telling me about. And, yes, I do have friends
that would lie to me like that.

Old 29-07-2013, 01:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/27/2013 12:31 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
:
: Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
: water, and no more nitrogen.

: Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
: and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
: then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
: that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
: very, very little fruit.

Dint fertilize any more. too much and you get great plants with few
offspring.

Wendy

Thank you. I will just let nature take its course.

Now, I have to hunt for the dreaded squash bugs!
Old 29-07-2013, 01:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
very, very little fruit.

Excess water, and fertilizer tells your plant that it is an endless
summer, and that they can grow, and grow, because there is no rush.
Cutting back on fertilizer, and water tells the plants that summer is
coming to an end, and that it had better produce seed (fruit), if it
wants to survive.

Actually the changing weather and shorter days plays a bigger role.

Old 29-07-2013, 01:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/27/2013 10:14 AM, Billy wrote:
Families are important in crop rotation, but most people consider Ancho
Gigantea a pepper (Genus: Capsicum, species: annuum), as opposed to a
tomato (Genus: Solanum, species: lycopersicum,). Other members of the
Solanaceae Family, besides peppers, are potatoes, egg plant, Datura,
Mandragora (mandrake), and Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade). The
last 3 should not be consumed.

Gardeners are mostly interested in Families for crop rotation, Species
for cross pollination (usually unimportant with tomatoes), and Cultivars
for specific color, size, or taste.

Thank you!

Can you imagine what the first humans to try and hybrid
tomatoes/potatoes/peppers went through before they came up with
something non-poisonous? "Hay Fred. Try this red thing.
No Sam, you first."

Any tips on squash bugs?

I have a sprayer of organic pyrethrin. They buzzards like under
my squash and are quite sociable. So lift and one spray gets
them all.

But apparently, there larvae get inside the zuke stems/tubes
and liquefy the leaves and stems from the inside out. Then
the adults lay eggs in the soil to amuse and confound the next
year. I hate the things.

Old 29-07-2013, 01:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/28/2013 05:27 PM, DonOpple0paad wrote:
mmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
very, very little fruit.

Excess water, and fertilizer tells your plant that it is an endless
summer, and that they can grow, and grow, because there is no rush.
Cutting back on fertilizer, and water tells the plants that summer is
coming to an end, and that it had better produce seed (fruit), if it
wants to survive.

Actually the changing weather and shorter days plays a bigger role.

Interesting. Thank you!
Old 29-07-2013, 06:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Todd wrote:
[...]

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:

Squash bugs:

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.

Hi Billy,

Thank you!

1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
they are there? How do they get at them?

2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
work in the morning?

3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.

-T
Old 29-07-2013, 06:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/28/2013 10:15 PM, Todd wrote:
On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:

Squash bugs:

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.

Hi Billy,

Thank you!

1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
they are there? How do they get at them?

2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
work in the morning?

3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.

-T

4) raw or cooked? I would tend to use the cooked so they
would not germinate.
Old 29-07-2013, 07:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
:
: Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
: water, and no more nitrogen.

: Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
: and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
: then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
: that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
: very, very little fruit.

Dint fertilize any more. too much and you get great plants with few
offspring.

Wendy

Thank you. I will just let nature take its course.

Now, I have to hunt for the dreaded squash bugs!

The groups working on free software occasionally hold bug squashing parties.
Different kind of bugs :-)

Old 29-07-2013, 05:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 03:28:27 +0000 (UTC)
"W. Baker" wrote:

Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: If all goes as planned and I get use to the
: taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
: from you guys on zukes, again. :-)

EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it
may well take more time.

Wendy

OK. You guys got me to try them. I put slices in a toaster oven and
pretended they are toast. Not bad.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 30-07-2013, 06:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:

Squash bugs:

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.

Hi Billy,

Thank you!

1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
they are there? How do they get at them?

2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
work in the morning?

3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.

-T

I entice the birds with black oil sunflower seeds.

Old 30-07-2013, 06:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 07/28/2013 10:15 PM, Todd wrote:
On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:

Squash bugs:

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.

Hi Billy,

Thank you!

1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
they are there? How do they get at them?

2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
work in the morning?

3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.

-T

4) raw or cooked? I would tend to use the cooked so they
would not germinate.

I use sunflower seeds. Who does't like sunflowers?

Old 31-07-2013, 12:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:

Squash bugs:

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.

Hi Billy,

Thank you!

1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
they are there? How do they get at them?

2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
work in the morning?

3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.

-T

I entice the birds with black oil sunflower seeds.

Actually, you could use "Mammoth" sunflower seeds. These are the kind of
sunflower seeds that people eat. Then everbody would be happy.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:15:19 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:

Squash bugs:

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.

Hi Billy,

Thank you!

1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
they are there? How do they get at them?

2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
work in the morning?

3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.

-T

Go to the store and by the black oil sunflower seeds from the bird
food section. Not the sunflower seed we buy for human consumption.