Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Price of Fish, got it wrong

Hi All,

In another tread, I mentioned that Cod was the same price as
Halibut. Oops. I read the wrong label at Raley's. Halibut is
$19/lb and Cod is $7/lb.

By the way, (full circle brand frozen) both Cod and Flounder
are currently on sale for $5/lb.

Bought two lbs of Cod and 1/2 lb of Red Snapper. Scheduled to
cook on Sunday. Will try my food processor out on Pecan
meal. (It may be a bit on the grainy side as I try to avoid
Pecan butter.)

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In another tread, I mentioned that Cod was the same price as
> Halibut. Oops. I read the wrong label at Raley's. Halibut is
> $19/lb and Cod is $7/lb.

I thought so :-) and a rough mental calculation gives the prices
similar to those on the right side of the Atlantic. At least up north ..

> By the way, (full circle brand frozen) both Cod and Flounder
> are currently on sale for $5/lb.
>
> Bought two lbs of Cod and 1/2 lb of Red Snapper. Scheduled to
> cook on Sunday. Will try my food processor out on Pecan
> meal. (It may be a bit on the grainy side as I try to avoid
> Pecan butter.)

Tell us how it went. Forgot pecan when I went shopping, the day isn't over
yet -

> -T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/01/2013 03:32 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> In another tread, I mentioned that Cod was the same price as
>> Halibut. Oops. I read the wrong label at Raley's. Halibut is
>> $19/lb and Cod is $7/lb.

> I thought so :-) and a rough mental calculation gives the prices
> similar to those on the right side of the Atlantic. At least up north ..
>
>> By the way, (full circle brand frozen) both Cod and Flounder
>> are currently on sale for $5/lb.
>>
>> Bought two lbs of Cod and 1/2 lb of Red Snapper. Scheduled to
>> cook on Sunday. Will try my food processor out on Pecan
>> meal. (It may be a bit on the grainy side as I try to avoid
>> Pecan butter.)

> Tell us how it went. Forgot pecan when I went shopping, the day isn't over
> yet -
>
>> -T

Hi Bjørn,

It went horribly wrong.

First I made the "grand mistake" of buying a piece of fresh
(hahaha) red snapper when I bought the frozen cod. I have seen
so many cooking shows that cooked up red snapper -- I wasn't
thinking. I only saw the $5.00/lb on sale. I know better
that to buy previously frozen "fresh" (hahahaha) fish too!

Then I brined them together. *Big Mistake!* Never, never,
never, never ever, never ever, brine two different types of
fish together! The worst smelling fish STINKS up the milder
one. Ye gads!

Now, either that snapper was spoiled or I really, really don't
like snapper. It tasted and smelled like rancid raw hamburger
mixed with odor of fish head. I ate a bit. Then I downed
two Cinnulin capsules (Cinnamon is useful in food poisoning
and, well, nausea). I had the bad type of bubbles popping
above my head.

YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK! Had to toss everything in the trash,
double bagged to keep the trash from stinking up the house.

You learn more from your mistakes than you successes. NEVER
QUIT! (I am looking for another sale on Cod.)

I will get back with attempt #3.

Anyone try Bigwheel's Parmesan cheese idea for breading?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message

> Anyone try Bigwheel's Parmesan cheese idea for breading?
>
> -T

I imagine this from many years ago will work for fish as well as chicken.

Laurie's Parmesan Chicken Wings

1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
2 tbsp. chopped parsley (or 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes)
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
1 pound chicken wings, disjointed and tips removed

Preheat oven to 350º. In a big ziplock bag, combine parmesan cheese and
spices, and shake to mix. Pour melted butter into a shallow bowl. Dip wings
(a few at a time) into the butter, then put into the bag and shake to coat.
Place the chicken on a lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.

*I use Release foil, parchment paper, or throw away baking sheet otherwise
you have a huge clean up problem.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/06/2013 07:40 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>
>> Anyone try Bigwheel's Parmesan cheese idea for breading?
>>
>> -T

> I imagine this from many years ago will work for fish as well as chicken.
>

> Laurie's Parmesan Chicken Wings
>
> 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
> 2 tbsp. chopped parsley (or 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes)
> 2 tsp. paprika
> 1 tsp. dried oregano
> 1/2 tsp. dried basil
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
> 1 pound chicken wings, disjointed and tips removed
>
> Preheat oven to 350º. In a big ziplock bag, combine parmesan cheese and
> spices, and shake to mix. Pour melted butter into a shallow bowl. Dip
> wings (a few at a time) into the butter, then put into the bag and shake
> to coat. Place the chicken on a lined baking sheet and bake for 45
> minutes.
>
> *I use Release foil, parchment paper, or throw away baking sheet
> otherwise you have a huge clean up problem.

Hi Cheri,

Oh man that sounds good! Thank you! We are going to try it this
weekend. (Anything to forget the fish debacle.)

I have noticed that since being inducted into the pin cushion
club, my tastes have changed. I haven't cared for chicken
lately, but this is going to turn the tide!

I should be able to modify it just fine for my saute pan too.

-T

If my stainless steel saute pan get to burnt, I just soak
it in hot Oxo oxygen cleaner. My Wife uses it in the laundry.
Comes out so nice and shiny and easy to wash. Don't boil it.
I would not use Oxi Clean, as it has harsh detergents and
perfume in it that will cause breathing problems. Not
good to eat any traces either.

Just got back my latest A1c. Dropped from 6.1% three
months ago to 5.6%. I know, without knowing the plus and
minus, it is not too helpful, but it is the trend I am after.

You know, I think I actually have more variety in my diet
since my induction and inclusion on this group. You guys are
a blessing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "Todd" > wrote in message
: ...

: > Anyone try Bigwheel's Parmesan cheese idea for breading?
: >
: > -T

: I imagine this from many years ago will work for fish as well as chicken.

: Laurie's Parmesan Chicken Wings

: 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
: 2 tbsp. chopped parsley (or 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes)
: 2 tsp. paprika
: 1 tsp. dried oregano
: 1/2 tsp. dried basil
: 1/4 tsp. salt
: 1/4 tsp. pepper
: 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
: 1 pound chicken wings, disjointed and tips removed

: Preheat oven to 350?. In a big ziplock bag, combine parmesan cheese and
: spices, and shake to mix. Pour melted butter into a shallow bowl. Dip wings
: (a few at a time) into the butter, then put into the bag and shake to coat.
: Place the chicken on a lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.

: *I use Release foil, parchment paper, or throw away baking sheet otherwise
: you have a huge clean up problem.

One thought, I would not shake the fishin the bag, but would put the bag
conentx onto or into a pie lanor wide soup bowl and puttign the fist
intothe mixture nthe plate after the melted butter dipping. fis is not a
strong as chicken wings and might well break up if shaken. Oerwise, looks
like a goo diea to try.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: >
: > I'm fond of fish & chips, which used to be Northwest Atlantic cod.
: >
: > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_cod#Northwest_Atlantic_cod>
: > In the winter of 2011-2012, the cod fishery succeeded in convincing NOAA
: > to postpone for one year the planned 82% reduction in catch limits.
: > Instead the limit will be reduced by 22%. The fishery brought in $15.8
: > million in 2010, coming second behind Georges Bank haddock among the
: > region?s 20 regulated bottom-dwelling groundfish. Data released in 2011
: > indicated that even closing the fishery would not allow populations to
: > rebound by 2014 to levels required under federal law. Restrictions on
: > cod effectively limit fishing on other groundfish species with which the
: > cod swim, such as flounder and haddock.
: >

: Hi Billy,

: Something went really, really wrong with that Cod fishery. The
: game managers must have really screwed up something big time.
: I hope they get it back to sustainable levels before too long
: with the absolute minimum of job loss. We may all have
: to settle on flounder or haddock for a while. As has been
: said before on these pages, man does not live by fish
: alone. :-)

: I would hate to have happen what happened in Japan to
: their herring population. Use to be like Alaska's.
: Now it is permanently gone (over harvesting).

: -T

Cod used to be enormously abundant but ws grossly overfished and whten
they brought in the big Russia and other european ships it became even
more over fished. In addition, the harp seals who have the cut
whitefurred babies that used tobe hunted heavily off Greenland, eat cod.
Now their populatin has exploded because the hunting was
forbidden(remember all thebusiness about slubbing the baby seals on the
Greenland ice? so even with controlled fishing by humans the population
ccannot recover very fast. cod is a large fish when adult adn takes
aquite a while to be able to reproduce so that slows everyting down. when
I was a child cod was a cheap fish eaten by the poor. Now it is scarce,
limited in catch and quite expensive. Europe used to survive on salt cod
for humdreds of years. Now it is harder adn more expensive to get.

It is NOT a short fish and game department problem that can be fixed in a
season or two. It will take decades if ther is not toomuch cheatingand
cod smuggling. If they do not control the catch it may well never
recoverc. Right now the same thing is happening with Chilean Sea BAss
which is also a very large and slow developing fish that needs years to
reach breeding maturity. With the overfishing most of the adults are gone
adn there is exptreme danger of the entire population being wiped out
because they don't wnat to leave the youngsters in the sea to mature and
breed.

One should thnk of these things before buyin these fish.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/08/2013 06:38 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> [...]
> I was a child cod was a cheap fish eaten by the poor. Now it is scarce,
> limited in catch and quite expensive. Europe used to survive on salt cod
> for humdreds of years. Now it is harder adn more expensive to get.
>
> It is NOT a short fish and game department problem that can be fixed in a
> season or two. It will take decades if ther is not toomuch cheatingand
> cod smuggling. If they do not control the catch it may well never
> recoverc. Right now the same thing is happening with Chilean Sea BAss
> which is also a very large and slow developing fish that needs years to
> reach breeding maturity. With the overfishing most of the adults are gone
> adn there is exptreme danger of the entire population being wiped out
> because they don't wnat to leave the youngsters in the sea to mature and
> breed.
>
> One should thnk of these things before buyin these fish.

Hi Wendy,

Raley's Full Circle flash frozen fish have a Sustainable Fisheries
tag on them. I have searched the web but can't find anything about
this tag. We should look for this tag before purchasing fish.
(Hope it is real and not a crock of poo to get us to pay more.)

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/06/2013 07:40 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>
>> Anyone try Bigwheel's Parmesan cheese idea for breading?
>>
>> -T

> I imagine this from many years ago will work for fish as well as chicken.
>

> Laurie's Parmesan Chicken Wings
>
> 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
> 2 tbsp. chopped parsley (or 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes)
> 2 tsp. paprika
> 1 tsp. dried oregano
> 1/2 tsp. dried basil
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
> 1 pound chicken wings, disjointed and tips removed
>
> Preheat oven to 350º. In a big ziplock bag, combine parmesan cheese and
> spices, and shake to mix. Pour melted butter into a shallow bowl. Dip
> wings (a few at a time) into the butter, then put into the bag and shake
> to coat. Place the chicken on a lined baking sheet and bake for 45
> minutes.
>
> *I use Release foil, parchment paper, or throw away baking sheet
> otherwise you have a huge clean up problem.

Hi Cheri,

Tried this out yesterday with six organic chicken thighs.
OH MAN it came out good. My wife is so tickled by it.
She loves it. Me too. (Modified it for a Sauté Pan.)
Never quit!

I can't wait to try it out on Cod.

You guys are a blessing!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/08/2013 07:39 PM, Todd wrote:
> [...]
>> recoverc. Right now the same thing is happening with Chilean Sea BAss
>> which is also a very large and slow developing fish that needs years to
>> reach breeding maturity. With the overfishing most of the adults are
>> gone
>> adn there is exptreme danger of the entire population being wiped out
>> because they don't wnat to leave the youngsters in the sea to mature and
>> breed.
>>
>> One should thnk of these things before buyin these fish.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Hi Wendy,
>
> Raley's Full Circle flash frozen fish have a Sustainable Fisheries
> tag on them. I have searched the web but can't find anything about
> this tag. We should look for this tag before purchasing fish.
> (Hope it is real and not a crock of poo to get us to pay more.)

Hi Wendy,

Found the certification sticker: the Marine Stewardship Council
http://www.msc.org/

Unable to tell if they help or hurt. But, they seem legit.
Their stickers are on the Raley's Full Circle flash frozen
fish.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Stewardship_Council>
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/14/2013 04:29 PM, Billy wrote:
>> >Hi Wendy,
>> >
>> > Found the certification sticker: the Marine Stewardship Council
>> > http://www.msc.org/
>> >
>> > Unable to tell if they help or hurt. But, they seem legit.
>> >Their stickers are on the Raley's Full Circle flash frozen
>> >fish.
>> >
>> >-T

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Stewardship_Council>

Hi Billy,

Great article. Sounds like they are legit. Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/14/2013 04:29 PM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:

>>> Hi Wendy,
>>>
>>> Raley's Full Circle flash frozen fish have a Sustainable Fisheries
>>> tag on them. I have searched the web but can't find anything about
>>> this tag. We should look for this tag before purchasing fish.
>>> (Hope it is real and not a crock of poo to get us to pay more.)
>>>
>>> -T

>> Hi Wendy,
>>
>> Found the certification sticker: the Marine Stewardship Council
>> http://www.msc.org/
>>
>> Unable to tell if they help or hurt. But, they seem legit.
>> Their stickers are on the Raley's Full Circle flash frozen
>> fish.
>>
>> -T

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Stewardship_Council>

Hi Billy,

Thank you for writing me on the pruning issue over on the
gardening group! I wondered why there was such a nice batch
of folks over the they are a lot of the same folks over here!
Explains it.

-T