Vegan (alt.food.vegan) This newsgroup exists to share ideas and issues of concern among vegans. We are always happy to share our recipes- perhaps especially with omnivores who are simply curious- or even better, accomodating a vegan guest for a meal!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-02-2008, 05:23 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
Default Update on fish-free fish and chips

Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!

Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
how much it's like the real thing!

Ingredients:

1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
1 cup flour
1 tsp paprika
1 cup beer
oil
malt vinegar
cornflour/corn starch

Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.

Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.

Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
neccessary) to get it right.

Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
smoking.

Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.

Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, and
repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels Repeat until all is
cooked.

Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
salt & pepper and ketchup.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-02-2008, 05:22 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16
Default Update on fish-free fish and chips

MrFalafel,

I presume the tofu is drained and pressed? Also, since I don't know, is
a cup in Britain the same as a cup in the US?

Thanks,

Justin

MrFalafel wrote:
Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!

Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
how much it's like the real thing!

Ingredients:

1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
1 cup flour
1 tsp paprika
1 cup beer
oil
malt vinegar
cornflour/corn starch

Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.

Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.

Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
neccessary) to get it right.

Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
smoking.

Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.

Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, and
repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels Repeat until all is
cooked.

Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
salt & pepper and ketchup.

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-02-2008, 12:57 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
Default Update on fish-free fish and chips

The key is to use fresh, firm tofu that you buy in the refrigerated or
produce section of your local shop and not that silken tofu stuff that
comes in a box.

I simply remove the tofu from the packet and drain. I don't press it
or anything. I just cut as specified and let sit in the malt vinegar
for a couple of hours.

A cup is a cup is a cup in both the US and the UK. ;-)

On Feb 26, 5:22*pm, "Justin E. Miller" justinmiller87 wrote:
MrFalafel,

I presume the tofu is drained and pressed? Also, since I don't know, is
a cup in Britain the same as a cup in the US?

Thanks,

Justin



MrFalafel wrote:
Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!


Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
how much it's like the real thing!


Ingredients:


1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
1 cup flour
1 tsp paprika
1 cup beer
oil
malt vinegar
cornflour/corn starch


Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.


Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.


Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
neccessary) to get it right.


Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
smoking.


Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.


Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, *and
repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels *Repeat until all is
cooked.


Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
salt & pepper and ketchup.- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-02-2008, 01:14 PM posted to alt.food.vegan
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Default Update on fish-free fish and chips

MrFalafel wrote:
The key is to use fresh, firm tofu that you buy in the refrigerated or
produce section of your local shop and not that silken tofu stuff that
comes in a box.

I simply remove the tofu from the packet and drain. I don't press it
or anything. I just cut as specified and let sit in the malt vinegar
for a couple of hours.

A cup is a cup is a cup in both the US and the UK. ;-)


But a pint is so much more in the UK!


On Feb 26, 5:22 pm, "Justin E. Miller" justinmiller87 wrote:
MrFalafel,

I presume the tofu is drained and pressed? Also, since I don't know, is
a cup in Britain the same as a cup in the US?

Thanks,

Justin



MrFalafel wrote:
Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!
Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
how much it's like the real thing!
Ingredients:
1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
1 cup flour
1 tsp paprika
1 cup beer
oil
malt vinegar
cornflour/corn starch
Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.
Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.
Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
neccessary) to get it right.
Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
smoking.
Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.
Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, and
repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels Repeat until all is
cooked.
Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
salt & pepper and ketchup.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fish & Chips [email protected] General Cooking 21 16-10-2007 12:39 AM
Fun With Fish 'n' Chips Andy[_2_] General Cooking 26 01-05-2007 03:04 PM
Fish and Chips Duckie Recipes 0 17-01-2006 12:45 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017