Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Update on fish-free fish and chips

Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!

Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
how much it's like the real thing!

Ingredients:

1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
1 cup flour
1 tsp paprika
1 cup beer
oil
malt vinegar
cornflour/corn starch

Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.

Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.

Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
neccessary) to get it right.

Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
smoking.

Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.

Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, and
repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels Repeat until all is
cooked.

Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
salt & pepper and ketchup.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

MrFalafel,

I presume the tofu is drained and pressed? Also, since I don't know, is
a cup in Britain the same as a cup in the US?

Thanks,

Justin

MrFalafel wrote:
> Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!
>
> Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
> fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
> how much it's like the real thing!
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
> 2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
> 1 cup flour
> 1 tsp paprika
> 1 cup beer
> oil
> malt vinegar
> cornflour/corn starch
>
> Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
> cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.
>
> Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
> them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
> chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.
>
> Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
> should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
> neccessary) to get it right.
>
> Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
> smoking.
>
> Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.
>
> Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
> excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, and
> repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
> golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels Repeat until all is
> cooked.
>
> Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
> salt & pepper and ketchup.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

The key is to use fresh, firm tofu that you buy in the refrigerated or
produce section of your local shop and not that silken tofu stuff that
comes in a box.

I simply remove the tofu from the packet and drain. I don't press it
or anything. I just cut as specified and let sit in the malt vinegar
for a couple of hours.

A cup is a cup is a cup in both the US and the UK. ;-)

On Feb 26, 5:22*pm, "Justin E. Miller" <justinmiller87> wrote:
> MrFalafel,
>
> I presume the tofu is drained and pressed? Also, since I don't know, is
> a cup in Britain the same as a cup in the US?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Justin
>

> MrFalafel wrote:
> > Fish-free fish & chips Updated: Now even easier and tastier!

> > Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago to satisfy my deep-
> > fried food cravings. Wrap it up in newspaper and you'd be surprised
> > how much it's like the real thing!

> > Ingredients:

> > 1 block of firm tofu (250 grams)
> > 2-3 big potatoes, scrubbed, and cut into 'chip/french fry' pieces.
> > 1 cup flour
> > 1 tsp paprika
> > 1 cup beer
> > oil
> > malt vinegar
> > cornflour/corn starch

> > Cut the tofu into big-finger size pieces. Place in a shallow dish and
> > cover with malt vinegar. Marinate for an hour or so.

> > Place chips on a baking sheet and sprinkle a bit of olive oil over
> > them and toss. Place in 200C oven for half an hour and then turn the
> > chips, cooking for another 15 minutes or so.

> > Meanwhile mix beer, flour & paprika together in a bowl. The batter
> > should be like a thick pancake consistancy. Add more flour/beer (if
> > neccessary) to get it right.

> > Place oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to very hot, almost
> > smoking.

> > Place a good bit of cornflour/cornstarch in bowl.

> > Remove tofu from marinade, pat dry and dredge in cornflour, shake of
> > excess and then dredge in batter and place directly into hot oil, *and
> > repeat with a few more tofu pieces. Flip while cooking to get them
> > golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels *Repeat until all is
> > cooked.

> > Place chips on a platter with tofu on top. Serve with malt vinegar,
> > salt & pepper and ketchup.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.food.vegan

MrFalafel wrote:
> The key is to use fresh, firm tofu that you buy in the refrigerated or
> produce section of your local shop and not that silken tofu stuff that
> comes in a box.
>
> I simply remove the tofu from the packet and drain. I don't press it
> or anything. I just cut as specified and let sit in the malt vinegar
> for a couple of hours.
>
> A cup is a cup is a cup in both the US and the UK. ;-)

But a pint is so much more in the UK!