Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Leg of Lamb

Hi All,

Okay, Raley's had a boneless New Zealand leg of
lamb on sale and I could not resist.

I have always loved lamb, but I have a problem.
I have always loved "everyone else's" lamb and hated
my own.

My available cooking pots are my pressure cooker
and my saute pan (doubles as a frying pan). I do not
think the lid would close in my saute pan on this
piece of meat. I have no access to an oven or a
barbecue.

Do I cook Leg of Lamb like (beef) sirloin roast
(33 minutes on second ring) or like an old buzzard
roast (rump roast, old shoes), meaning Falls Apart
(99 minutes on the second ring)? My Sirloin roasts
do come out well in the pressure cooker.

What seasonings would you use? (I am really fond
of Greek food, if that helps.)

I really do not want to ruin $17 dollars in lamb.
How would you guys cook and season this?

And, the love of my life really does not like the
"gamy" taste of lamb. I want to convert her. (I hate
the gamy taste of venison myself, so I can not blame
her.)

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
[...]

Leg of lamb should be dry roasted in an oven without a cover on, just lie
a roast beef as opposed to a pot roast which is covered and has liquid and
coolk long and slowly in order to get soft. Basicall the lamb is a lready
soft so you don't hav eto break it all down. season with S&P and herbs
you like and slice an onion and ut it all around and roast in a fairly hot
oven. As I don't et leg oflamb for complicated relgious reasons, I
suggest you get seasoning and herb ideas from others on the list.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/29/2013 06:24 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : Okay, Raley's had a boneless New Zealand leg of
> : lamb on sale and I could not resist.
>
> : I have always loved lamb, but I have a problem.
> : I have always loved "everyone else's" lamb and hated
> : my own.
>
> : My available cooking pots are my pressure cooker
> : and my saute pan (doubles as a frying pan). I do not
> : think the lid would close in my saute pan on this
> : piece of meat. I have no access to an oven or a
> : barbecue.
>
> : Do I cook Leg of Lamb like (beef) sirloin roast
> : (33 minutes on second ring) or like an old buzzard
> : roast (rump roast, old shoes), meaning Falls Apart
> : (99 minutes on the second ring)? My Sirloin roasts
> : do come out well in the pressure cooker.
>
> : What seasonings would you use? (I am really fond
> : of Greek food, if that helps.)
>
> : I really do not want to ruin $17 dollars in lamb.
> : How would you guys cook and season this?
>
> : And, the love of my life really does not like the
> : "gamy" taste of lamb. I want to convert her. (I hate
> : the gamy taste of venison myself, so I can not blame
> : her.)
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
> Leg of lamb should be dry roasted in an oven without a cover on, just lie
> a roast beef as opposed to a pot roast which is covered and has liquid and
> coolk long and slowly in order to get soft. Basicall the lamb is a lready
> soft so you don't hav eto break it all down. season with S&P and herbs
> you like and slice an onion and ut it all around and roast in a fairly hot
> oven. As I don't et leg oflamb for complicated relgious reasons, I
> suggest you get seasoning and herb ideas from others on the list.
>
> Wendy

Unfortunately, no oven available. But, now I know it is not a
shoe and only have to cook like a sirloin tri tip. Now for the
Herbs!

Thank you!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> On 01/29/2013 06:24 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Todd > wrote:
>> : Hi All,
>>
>> : Okay, Raley's had a boneless New Zealand leg of
>> : lamb on sale and I could not resist.
>>
>> : I have always loved lamb, but I have a problem.
>> : I have always loved "everyone else's" lamb and hated
>> : my own.
>>
>> : My available cooking pots are my pressure cooker
>> : and my saute pan (doubles as a frying pan). I do not
>> : think the lid would close in my saute pan on this
>> : piece of meat. I have no access to an oven or a
>> : barbecue.
>>
>> : Do I cook Leg of Lamb like (beef) sirloin roast
>> : (33 minutes on second ring) or like an old buzzard
>> : roast (rump roast, old shoes), meaning Falls Apart
>> : (99 minutes on the second ring)? My Sirloin roasts
>> : do come out well in the pressure cooker.
>>
>> : What seasonings would you use? (I am really fond
>> : of Greek food, if that helps.)
>>
>> : I really do not want to ruin $17 dollars in lamb.
>> : How would you guys cook and season this?
>>
>> : And, the love of my life really does not like the
>> : "gamy" taste of lamb. I want to convert her. (I hate
>> : the gamy taste of venison myself, so I can not blame
>> : her.)
>>
>> : Many thanks,
>> : -T
>> Leg of lamb should be dry roasted in an oven without a cover on, just lie
>> a roast beef as opposed to a pot roast which is covered and has liquid
>> and
>> coolk long and slowly in order to get soft. Basicall the lamb is a
>> lready
>> soft so you don't hav eto break it all down. season with S&P and herbs
>> you like and slice an onion and ut it all around and roast in a fairly
>> hot
>> oven. As I don't et leg oflamb for complicated relgious reasons, I
>> suggest you get seasoning and herb ideas from others on the list.
>>
>> Wendy

> Unfortunately, no oven available. But, now I know it is not a
> shoe and only have to cook like a sirloin tri tip. Now for the
> Herbs!
>
> Thank you!
>
> -T

Rosemary is the preferred herb for lamb - and if you like garlic, cut small
pockets in the leg and shove a few cloves in there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/30/2013 12:41 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>
>> On 01/29/2013 06:24 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> Todd > wrote:
>>> : Hi All,
>>>
>>> : Okay, Raley's had a boneless New Zealand leg of
>>> : lamb on sale and I could not resist.
>>>
>>> : I have always loved lamb, but I have a problem.
>>> : I have always loved "everyone else's" lamb and hated
>>> : my own.
>>>
>>> : My available cooking pots are my pressure cooker
>>> : and my saute pan (doubles as a frying pan). I do not
>>> : think the lid would close in my saute pan on this
>>> : piece of meat. I have no access to an oven or a
>>> : barbecue.
>>>
>>> : Do I cook Leg of Lamb like (beef) sirloin roast
>>> : (33 minutes on second ring) or like an old buzzard
>>> : roast (rump roast, old shoes), meaning Falls Apart
>>> : (99 minutes on the second ring)? My Sirloin roasts
>>> : do come out well in the pressure cooker.
>>>
>>> : What seasonings would you use? (I am really fond
>>> : of Greek food, if that helps.)
>>>
>>> : I really do not want to ruin $17 dollars in lamb.
>>> : How would you guys cook and season this?
>>>
>>> : And, the love of my life really does not like the
>>> : "gamy" taste of lamb. I want to convert her. (I hate
>>> : the gamy taste of venison myself, so I can not blame
>>> : her.)
>>>
>>> : Many thanks,
>>> : -T
>>> Leg of lamb should be dry roasted in an oven without a cover on, just lie
>>> a roast beef as opposed to a pot roast which is covered and has liquid
>>> and
>>> coolk long and slowly in order to get soft. Basicall the lamb is a
>>> lready
>>> soft so you don't hav eto break it all down. season with S&P and herbs
>>> you like and slice an onion and ut it all around and roast in a fairly
>>> hot
>>> oven. As I don't et leg oflamb for complicated relgious reasons, I
>>> suggest you get seasoning and herb ideas from others on the list.
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> Unfortunately, no oven available. But, now I know it is not a
>> shoe and only have to cook like a sirloin tri tip. Now for the
>> Herbs!
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> -T

> Rosemary is the preferred herb for lamb - and if you like garlic, cut small
> pockets in the leg and shove a few cloves in there.

Cool. Thank you! Love Garlic and Rosemary.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/30/2013 12:41 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>
>> On 01/29/2013 06:24 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> Todd > wrote:
>>> : Hi All,
>>>
>>> : Okay, Raley's had a boneless New Zealand leg of
>>> : lamb on sale and I could not resist.
>>>
>>> : I have always loved lamb, but I have a problem.
>>> : I have always loved "everyone else's" lamb and hated
>>> : my own.
>>>
>>> : My available cooking pots are my pressure cooker
>>> : and my saute pan (doubles as a frying pan). I do not
>>> : think the lid would close in my saute pan on this
>>> : piece of meat. I have no access to an oven or a
>>> : barbecue.
>>>
>>> : Do I cook Leg of Lamb like (beef) sirloin roast
>>> : (33 minutes on second ring) or like an old buzzard
>>> : roast (rump roast, old shoes), meaning Falls Apart
>>> : (99 minutes on the second ring)? My Sirloin roasts
>>> : do come out well in the pressure cooker.
>>>
>>> : What seasonings would you use? (I am really fond
>>> : of Greek food, if that helps.)
>>>
>>> : I really do not want to ruin $17 dollars in lamb.
>>> : How would you guys cook and season this?
>>>
>>> : And, the love of my life really does not like the
>>> : "gamy" taste of lamb. I want to convert her. (I hate
>>> : the gamy taste of venison myself, so I can not blame
>>> : her.)
>>>
>>> : Many thanks,
>>> : -T
>>> Leg of lamb should be dry roasted in an oven without a cover on, just lie
>>> a roast beef as opposed to a pot roast which is covered and has liquid
>>> and
>>> coolk long and slowly in order to get soft. Basicall the lamb is a
>>> lready
>>> soft so you don't hav eto break it all down. season with S&P and herbs
>>> you like and slice an onion and ut it all around and roast in a fairly
>>> hot
>>> oven. As I don't et leg oflamb for complicated relgious reasons, I
>>> suggest you get seasoning and herb ideas from others on the list.
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> Unfortunately, no oven available. But, now I know it is not a
>> shoe and only have to cook like a sirloin tri tip. Now for the
>> Herbs!
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> -T

> Rosemary is the preferred herb for lamb - and if you like garlic, cut small
> pockets in the leg and shove a few cloves in there.

Hi Bjørn,

Do I brown on all sides first? Is this also called "searing"?
Or is it okay, to shove the garlic in before browning? (Seems like
if having to do it afterwards, I'd have to wait for the
meat to cool to keep from burning myself?)

Also, would you cram any rosemary in the holes as well?
Would you use rosemary sticks or crushed rosemary?

Thank you for the tips!

-T

Garlic is proof God loves us. Not beer, with gave us
agriculture, carbs, and T2. (Just being silly.)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/01/2013 02:11 PM, Susan wrote:

> Rosemary or Greek oregano. I marinate it overnight because my husband
> doesn't like the slight gaminess of lamb. Also, gotta have some smashed
> garlic cloves in there, too, and some s and p.

Hi Susan,

My wife can't stand the gamy taste either. Is it the lemon that
is neutralizing it?

Is there a difference between "Greek oregano" and the oregano I
purchase at Trader Joe's?

Is the smashing to remove the skins of the garlic enough?

Is there any particular ratio of lemon juice to Olive
Oil? Or are the rules, just have fun?

How long do you soak for?

Aren't all olive oils called Extra Virgin? (I like the
organic Italian EVOO from Trader Joe's.) I know it
means the first squeeze, but is that not just
a marketing term? Never seen a non-EV olive
oil for sale. (But, I have never looked that hard.
I my younger years, I use to try and find the stinkiest
olive oil I could get from Trader Joe's -- meaning
the cheapest. My tastes have changes somewhat since then.)

As you can tell, I really, really don't know what I
am doing. I really appreciate the help!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 01/30/2013 12:41 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: > Todd wrote:
: >
: >> On 01/29/2013 06:24 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: >>> Todd > wrote:
: >>> : Hi All,
: >>>
[...]
: >>
: >> Unfortunately, no oven available. But, now I know it is not a
: >> shoe and only have to cook like a sirloin tri tip. Now for the
: >> Herbs!
: >>
: >> Thank you!
: >>
: >> -T
: >
: > Rosemary is the preferred herb for lamb - and if you like garlic, cut small
: > pockets in the leg and shove a few cloves in there.

: Hi Bj?rn,

: Do I brown on all sides first? Is this also called "searing"?
: Or is it okay, to shove the garlic in before browning? (Seems like
: if having to do it afterwards, I'd have to wait for the
: meat to cool to keep from burning myself?)

: Also, would you cram any rosemary in the holes as well?
: Would you use rosemary sticks or crushed rosemary?

: Thank you for the tips!

: -T

: Garlic is proof God loves us. Not beer, with gave us
: agriculture, carbs, and T2. (Just being silly.)
shove it in and season before browning . then brown .
Same rule with all kinds of dry roasts.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/01/2013 04:00 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> [...]
> : >>
> : >> -T
> : >
> : > Rosemary is the preferred herb for lamb - and if you like garlic, cut small
> : > pockets in the leg and shove a few cloves in there.
>
> : Hi Bj?rn,
>
> : Do I brown on all sides first? Is this also called "searing"?
> : Or is it okay, to shove the garlic in before browning? (Seems like
> : if having to do it afterwards, I'd have to wait for the
> : meat to cool to keep from burning myself?)
>
> : Also, would you cram any rosemary in the holes as well?
> : Would you use rosemary sticks or crushed rosemary?
>
> : Thank you for the tips!
>
> : -T
>
> : Garlic is proof God loves us. Not beer, with gave us
> : agriculture, carbs, and T2. (Just being silly.)

> shove it in and season before browning . then brown .

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

That saves having to drag hot, raw meat out and letting
it cool down. Not to mention the raw meat cleanup.

-T

Lamb leg. [email protected] Barbecue 9 06-06-2009 06:44 PM
rec: Lamb Slices in Madeira (leftover lamb) Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 14-04-2009 12:43 PM
Lamb Dick Adams[_2_] General Cooking 20 07-03-2007 05:05 AM
Raw Lamb Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 7 18-11-2004 04:35 PM