Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb

Where does one buy lamb at reasonable prices? Find lamb in
a supermarket is hard enough. When you do find it, they
have it priced as though it was lobster.

Dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Mar 4, 11:37 pm, PeterLucas <inbrissie@home> wrote:
> (Dick Adams) wrote in news:12unhnq8279pp48
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> > Where does one buy lamb at reasonable prices? Find lamb in
> > a supermarket is hard enough. When you do find it, they
> > have it priced as though it was lobster.

> > Dick

> Go to a sheep farm, buy a couple on the hoof and take them to an abattoir.
> For a small price they wil kill and dress them for you.
>
> Heaps cheaper than store bought meat.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
> beings having a human experience.
>
> - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
Lanb when cookinglanb?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"mm" > wrote:

> On Mar 4, 11:37 pm, PeterLucas <inbrissie@home> wrote:
> > (Dick Adams) wrote in news:12unhnq8279pp48
> > @corp.supernews.com:
> >
> > > Where does one buy lamb at reasonable prices? Find lamb in
> > > a supermarket is hard enough. When you do find it, they
> > > have it priced as though it was lobster.

> > > Dick

> > Go to a sheep farm, buy a couple on the hoof and take them to an abattoir.
> > For a small price they wil kill and dress them for you.
> >
> > Heaps cheaper than store bought meat.
> >
> > --
> > Peter Lucas
> > Brisbane
> > Australia
> >
> > We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
> > beings having a human experience.
> >
> > - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

> Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
> Lanb when cookinglanb?

No.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" <inbrissie@home> wrote in message

>> Dick

> Go to a sheep farm...

That's a bit saucy...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> Where does one buy lamb at reasonable prices? Find lamb in
> a supermarket is hard enough. When you do find it, they
> have it priced as though it was lobster.

Costco. They run about half supermarket pricing on
pretty fine quality Australian lamb.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dick Adams wrote:

> Where does one buy lamb at reasonable prices? Find lamb in
> a supermarket is hard enough. When you do find it, they
> have it priced as though it was lobster.

Lamb used to be a rare commodity around here, and very expensive. We used
to be able to get it only from a one particular butcher. It is now much
more common. It is sold in most grocery stores, and a few of them have a
good selection, and both Ontario and New Zealand lamb. It is also a lot
more affordable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Mar 5, 12:43 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>

> "mm" > wrote:
> > On Mar 4, 11:37 pm, PeterLucas <inbrissie@home> wrote:
> > > (Dick Adams) wrote in news:12unhnq8279pp48
> > > @corp.supernews.com:

> > > Go to a sheep farm, buy a couple on the hoof and take them to an abattoir.
> > > For a small price they wil kill and dress them for you.

> > > Heaps cheaper than store bought meat.

> > > --
> > > Peter Lucas
> > > Brisbane
> > > Australia

> > > We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
> > > beings having a human experience.

> > > - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

> > Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
> > Lanb when cookinglanb?

> No.

How do you kill the smell then?

> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Mar 5, 6:00 am, "pavane" > wrote:
> "Dick Adams" > wrote in message

> > Where does one buy lamb at reasonable prices? Find lamb in
> > a supermarket is hard enough. When you do find it, they
> > have it priced as though it was lobster.

> Costco. They run about half supermarket pricing on
> pretty fine quality Australian lamb.

Really? Now I might get areason to get costco mmbership or tell my
sister to get one.

> pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mm wrote:

> How do you kill the smell then?

Why would you want to kill the smell. People who like lamb usually like the
smell of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"mm" > wrote:

> Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
> Lanb when cookinglanb?

It depends what kind of lamb and where it's from. My husband loves lamb
but the last time I roasted a leg (New Zealand lamb from Whole Foods),
it was so strong even he didn't like it. A friend from Egypt tells me
that the way to prevent this is to brine/soak the lamb roast for a day
or so before roasting it with a lot of garlic. I have not tried this
yet, but it seems like she ought to know. If I see her today, I'll ask
if she has anything else to add and if I understood her correctly. It's
been awhile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 6:56 am, "mm" > wrote:
> On Mar 5, 12:43 am, Omelet > wrote:
>

> > In article . com>,

> > > Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
> > > Lanb when cookinglanb?

> > No.

> How do you kill the smell then?
>

> > --
> > Peace, Om

> > Remove _ to validate e-mails.

> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson- Hide quoted text -

I think the smell comes from the fat- if you trim well, maybe that
smell would be reduced.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote:

>I think the smell comes from the fat- if you trim well, maybe that
>smell would be reduced.

That makes sense, since lanolin is fat-soluable.

I also believe that the amount of lanolin remaining in the
meat must depend upon how carefully it is butchered, since
the lanolin glands are all under the skin.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> Where does one buy lamb at reasonable prices? Find lamb in
> a supermarket is hard enough. When you do find it, they
> have it priced as though it was lobster.
>
> Dick

I would suggest that you look for an ethnic market, i.e., moslem, armenian,
greek, turkish where lamb is a regular part of the diet. Here in SoCal, the
Glendale/Burbank area is home to the largest armenian community in the
country and there are many stores that sell lamb at a reasonable price.

Harriet & critters (now living in a mobile home/trailer)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Emma Thackery > wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "mm" > wrote:
>
> > Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
> > Lanb when cookinglanb?

> It depends what kind of lamb and where it's from. My husband loves lamb
> but the last time I roasted a leg (New Zealand lamb from Whole Foods),
> it was so strong even he didn't like it. A friend from Egypt tells me
> that the way to prevent this is to brine/soak the lamb roast for a day
> or so before roasting it with a lot of garlic. I have not tried this
> yet, but it seems like she ought to know. If I see her today, I'll ask
> if she has anything else to add and if I understood her correctly. It's
> been awhile.

Well I was wrong! She said to marinate lamb at least overnight in a
marinade with lots of onions, chopped garlic, herbs and spices of your
choice and vinegar.... NOT brine. Oooops sorry.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 6:58 am, "mm" > wrote:
> Really? Now I might get areason to get costco mmbership or tell my
> sister to get one.

The lamb is probably the primary reason I have my Costco card.
Butterflied leg of lamb, rack of lamb, lamb steaks.

And, I like my new tires that I got from Costco, too. Michelin
Hydroedges filled with helium.

I think it's helium. It's some gas, not regular air, anyway.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in news:1173128318.464864.204360
@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 5, 6:58 am, "mm" > wrote:
>> Really? Now I might get areason to get costco mmbership or tell my
>> sister to get one.

> The lamb is probably the primary reason I have my Costco card.
> Butterflied leg of lamb, rack of lamb, lamb steaks.

http://www.abc.net.au/perth/stories/s1555079.htm

LOL!!!
http://www.stagsleap.com/art/2002_fa...ay_recipe.html

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s1852969.htm

> And, I like my new tires that I got from Costco, too. Michelin
> Hydroedges filled with helium.
>
> I think it's helium. It's some gas, not regular air, anyway.

Just suck some out and if you sound like a squirrel on speed, it's
helium :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
beings having a human experience.

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mm wrote:
> Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
> Lanb when cookinglanb?

That would depend on whether you like lamb, I guess. If not,
what's the point in eating it? So, I'd say no!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"mm" > wrote:

> Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
> Lanb when cookinglanb?

No.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"mm" > wrote:

> On Mar 5, 12:43 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> >

> > "mm" > wrote:
> > > Is it true that a lot of garlic needs to eb sued to kill the smell in
> > > Lanb when cookinglanb?

> > No.

> How do you kill the smell then?

There's no need.

If the lamb is fresh, it shouldn't have a strong smell.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

Lamb, not ham! jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 42 02-04-2015 12:12 AM
Lamb leg. [email protected] Barbecue 9 06-06-2009 06:44 PM
rec: Lamb Slices in Madeira (leftover lamb) Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 14-04-2009 12:43 PM
Raw Lamb Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 7 18-11-2004 05:35 PM