Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Lamb leg.

I need help from any of the ovine experts frequenting this newsgroup.
One of the local butchers has fresh NZ bone-in lamb legs on sale for
$3.29/lb.
I've never smoked a lamb leg before but, at that price, perhaps it's
time to give it a try.
Is it something that lends itself to smoking?
Any recommendations on time, temperature and wood?
I do have a remote reading probe type thermometer that I use on some
cuts of pork & poultry and assume it would work for lamb as well.
As to wood, I have cut and seasoned hickory, oak, maple, mulberry,
apple, peach, plum and cherry. Also a couple of bags of store bought
mesquite chips but, I'm not fond of the flavour they impart.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 29, 2:27*pm, wrote:
> I need help from any of the ovine experts frequenting this newsgroup.
> One of the local butchers has fresh NZ bone-in lamb legs on sale for
> $3.29/lb.
> I've never smoked a lamb leg before but, at that price, perhaps it's
> time to give it a try.
> Is it something that lends itself to smoking?

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I suggest going to Google Groups and searching this group for the
author "Louis Cohen".
He posted more on lamb than anyone else here and knew his stuff.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
>I need help from any of the ovine experts frequenting this newsgroup.
> One of the local butchers has fresh NZ bone-in lamb legs on sale for
> $3.29/lb.
> I've never smoked a lamb leg before but, at that price, perhaps it's
> time to give it a try.
> Is it something that lends itself to smoking?
> Any recommendations on time, temperature and wood?
> I do have a remote reading probe type thermometer that I use on some
> cuts of pork & poultry and assume it would work for lamb as well.
> As to wood, I have cut and seasoned hickory, oak, maple, mulberry,
> apple, peach, plum and cherry. Also a couple of bags of store bought
> mesquite chips but, I'm not fond of the flavour they impart.
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada.
> 43º 17' 26.75" North
> 80º 13' 29.46" West
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Bone in leg of lamb is one of the greatest dishes in the world. It should
always be "bone-in".

1. Trim all of the "fell" or connective tissue on the surface so nothing
but meat is exposed.
2. Make vertical slits in the leg about 1-1.5" apart and insert slivers
of fresh garlic and fresh rosemary. Both have a unique affinity for leg of
lamb.
3 Apply kosher or sea salt to the lamb, then olive oil, and wrap it in
cling wrap for 4-24 hours.

Make an indirect fire on the Weber. Brown the leg directly over intense heat
as quickly as you can, just a few minutes on each side. Then roast
indirectly it at a low temp[325 at most ] until the meat temp. is 115F, no
more. It's very important to not overcook and it's very important to rest
the meat following. I usually roast to 112F and take it off the heat. Then
rest it for 20 minutes and serve.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:45:20 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> I suggest going to Google Groups and searching this group for the
> author "Louis Cohen".
> He posted more on lamb than anyone else here and knew his stuff.

Another absent poster, Ricky Fawnridge, was also pretty fond of his
lamb. He Never posted his recipes, just links to a website which is
now gone. (http://www.fawnridge.com/).

I'm almost afraid to ask, but has anybody hear from these two?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:45:20 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:
>
>> I suggest going to Google Groups and searching this group for the
>> author "Louis Cohen".
>> He posted more on lamb than anyone else here and knew his stuff.

> Another absent poster, Ricky Fawnridge, was also pretty fond of his
> lamb. He Never posted his recipes, just links to a website which is
> now gone. (http://www.fawnridge.com/).

Naw, that's his. At least the address on that page is the same as his
mailing address (not his residence).

> I'm almost afraid to ask, but has anybody hear from these two?
>
> -sw

You just forgot the last part of his website "ricky/"
http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/

Ricky is alive and well, I'll tell him you asked when I see him over Labor
Day weekend, if not before. He's the treasurer and webmaster for the
Florida BBQ Association.

Here's the link to the BBQ section of his site
http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/r_bbq.htm

Here's the link to his lamb
http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/lamb.htm

Somewhere I have a link for Louis' website. If it's on this confuzer, I'll
post it. I don't see or hear from him.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:

>>He Never posted his recipes, just links to a website which is
>> now gone. (http://www.fawnridge.com/).

> Naw, that's his. At least the address on that page is the same as his
> mailing address (not his residence).
>
>> I'm almost afraid to ask, but has anybody hear from these two?

> You just forgot the last part of his website "ricky/"
> http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/

I didn't include the full URL since the link to his lamb is broken:

http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/lamb.txt

> Ricky is alive and well,

Good to hear.

> Here's the link to his lamb
> http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/lamb.htm

Ahh, OK. He HTML'ed it since his Usenet posts. He only ever posted the
..txt file.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Try Ricky Ginsburg at http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky/

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 29 May 2009 17:27:16 -0400, I wrote:

>I need help from any of the ovine experts frequenting this newsgroup.
>One of the local butchers has fresh NZ bone-in lamb legs on sale for
>$3.29/lb.
>I've never smoked a lamb leg before but, at that price, perhaps it's
>time to give it a try.
>Is it something that lends itself to smoking?

Snippage.

Thanks for all the replies.
We bought two legs, between 5 & 6 lb. each.
I've had great luck with CYM and Wild Willy's Number One-Derful Rub on
pork so I figured for the first time with lamb, 'What have we got to
lose except 40 bucks', so that's what I used. One leg was to be for
our best friends and the other for us, so I was hoping it would at
least be edible.
I used maple, 225ºF for a little over 7 hours in the Masterbuilt
smoker. Remote thermometer showed 156ºF when I took them out.
We normally like our lamb on the rare side, 125ºF to 130ºF at the
most, so these legs were well past that.They were juicy and tender
and, although not the way we're used to having leg of lamb, they were
nonetheless very tasty. When we dropped off the leg for our friends
they sampled a bit and raved about it, even asked if I'd do another
for them next time I fired up the smoker. When we left, their
teen-aged son was still cutting off slices and devouring them. The way
he was going, they'll be lucky to have any left for a meal.
Next time, I'll probably try something with more garlic and rosemary
but, I've no complaints about these.
Man, I wish I'd discovered the joys of real barbecue before I got so
damn old.

Ross.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Jun-2009, wrote:

> On Fri, 29 May 2009 17:27:16 -0400, I wrote:
>
> >I need help from any of the ovine experts frequenting this newsgroup.
> >One of the local butchers has fresh NZ bone-in lamb legs on sale for
> >$3.29/lb.
> >I've never smoked a lamb leg before but, at that price, perhaps it's
> >time to give it a try.
> >Is it something that lends itself to smoking?

> Snippage.
>
> Thanks for all the replies.
> We bought two legs, between 5 & 6 lb. each.
> I've had great luck with CYM and Wild Willy's Number One-Derful Rub on
> pork so I figured for the first time with lamb, 'What have we got to
> lose except 40 bucks', so that's what I used. One leg was to be for
> our best friends and the other for us, so I was hoping it would at
> least be edible.
> I used maple, 225ºF for a little over 7 hours in the Masterbuilt
> smoker. Remote thermometer showed 156ºF when I took them out.
> We normally like our lamb on the rare side, 125ºF to 130ºF at the
> most, so these legs were well past that.They were juicy and tender
> and, although not the way we're used to having leg of lamb, they were
> nonetheless very tasty. When we dropped off the leg for our friends
> they sampled a bit and raved about it, even asked if I'd do another
> for them next time I fired up the smoker. When we left, their
> teen-aged son was still cutting off slices and devouring them. The way
> he was going, they'll be lucky to have any left for a meal.
> Next time, I'll probably try something with more garlic and rosemary
> but, I've no complaints about these.
> Man, I wish I'd discovered the joys of real barbecue before I got so
> damn old.
>
> Ross.

Ditto on discovering BBQ. I was 67 when I first made some 'Q'.
Oddly enough, I'd had a vertical smoker for years and never used
it to make 'Q'. It was a 7 in 1 kind of thing and I used it only to
grill as well as I can remember.

--
Brick (Too soon old and too late smart)

Lamb, not ham! jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 42 02-04-2015 12:12 AM
rec: Lamb Slices in Madeira (leftover lamb) Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 14-04-2009 12:43 PM
Lamb Dick Adams[_2_] General Cooking 20 07-03-2007 05:05 AM
Raw Lamb Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 7 18-11-2004 04:35 PM