Old 28-01-2013, 11:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Let's talk pickles!

How often do you eat them? I have several jars that I bought but I rarely
think to eat them. And while they used to be commonly put on your plate
when you ordered a burger or sandwich in a restaurant, they rarely are here
any more. So once I can stop writing down my food intake for the day, I'm
going to make more of an effort to eat them. But right now eating anything
extra is a PITA because there's no room on my paper to write the food down.

Used to be that pickles were always on the list of daily menu plans for
diabetics. Perhaps because they are fat free and low in calories. But I
rarely see anyone eating them now.

Old 28-01-2013, 01:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
: How often do you eat them? I have several jars that I bought but I rarely
: think to eat them. And while they used to be commonly put on your plate
: when you ordered a burger or sandwich in a restaurant, they rarely are here
: any more. So once I can stop writing down my food intake for the day, I'm
: going to make more of an effort to eat them. But right now eating anything
: extra is a PITA because there's no room on my paper to write the food down.

I love my dill pickles. they always serve them here with burgers and many
sandwiches(which I get without the bread). WhenI buy a jar I willhave
them either with dinner or as a snack. I did find some artificially
swetened sweet ghirkins wich I use in a fish salad recipe of my Mother's
that is a lovely dish for lunch guests. Unfortunately, these are hard to
find .

Wendy

Old 29-01-2013, 02:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/28/2013 03:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
How often do you eat them? I have several jars that I bought but I rarely
think to eat them. And while they used to be commonly put on your plate
when you ordered a burger or sandwich in a restaurant, they rarely are here
any more. So once I can stop writing down my food intake for the day, I'm
going to make more of an effort to eat them. But right now eating anything
extra is a PITA because there's no room on my paper to write the food down.

Used to be that pickles were always on the list of daily menu plans for
diabetics. Perhaps because they are fat free and low in calories. But I
rarely see anyone eating them now.

Hi Julie,

I use Raley's Full circle Organic Dill pickles in my
lunches. The Vinegar is a bit strong. So they take a
bit to eat. Allows the rest of my lunch to catch up
with me. Love them with a bite of cheese. I try not
to eat them at home so I won't get tired of them.

I also LOVE Trader Joe's Organic Dill sandwich slices
on my Cave Man sandwiches. (Sub lettuce for bread.)
These pickles are sliced long ways, so they are
quick to make up a sandwich.

I think one of the main problem with Cave Man cooking
is the lack of variety. Can't eat the same things over
and over.

-T

Old 29-01-2013, 05:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/28/2013 06:18 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Oh, both the pickles I spoke of use Turmeric for color.
No dyes or excytotoxins. (Turmeric is actually good for
us too.)

Old 29-01-2013, 10:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I don't know what Cave Man cooking is. But I do tend to eat the same
things over and over.

Old 30-01-2013, 05:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/29/2013 02:03 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what Cave Man cooking is.

Eating before the dawn of agriculture. In other words,
this Type 2 stuff didn't happen to us before humans
discovered beer, and created the agriculture to support it.
We humans were never designed to handle the amount of
carbohydrates that hybridized grains and roots brought us.

I call it "cave man cooking" for short.
Old 30-01-2013, 06:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
On 01/29/2013 02:03 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what Cave Man cooking is.

Eating before the dawn of agriculture. In other words,
this Type 2 stuff didn't happen to us before humans
discovered beer, and created the agriculture to support it.
We humans were never designed to handle the amount of
carbohydrates that hybridized grains and roots brought us.

I don't know that it didn't. Diabetes certainly dates back long before I
was ever born. They used to diagnose it by tasting the urine. Diabetics
urine tasted sweet. And I don't think they had any way to tell what type we
had prior to somewhat recent testing methods.

As for the other stuff... I don't buy it.

I call it "cave man cooking" for short.

And I call it a diet that I could never eat.

Old 30-01-2013, 10:53 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/29/2013 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Todd wrote:
On 01/29/2013 02:03 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what Cave Man cooking is.

Eating before the dawn of agriculture. In other words,
this Type 2 stuff didn't happen to us before humans
discovered beer, and created the agriculture to support it.
We humans were never designed to handle the amount of
carbohydrates that hybridized grains and roots brought us.

I don't know that it didn't. Diabetes certainly dates back long before I
was ever born. They used to diagnose it by tasting the urine. Diabetics
urine tasted sweet. And I don't think they had any way to tell what type we
had prior to somewhat recent testing methods.

As for the other stuff... I don't buy it.

I call it "cave man cooking" for short.

And I call it a diet that I could never eat.

Hi Julie,

You have to, or body parts will start to fall off.
Make it fun! You get to annoy the food nazis! You get
to eat MEAT and BUTTER without guilt!

I am having a blast. Of course, I need to get my
cooking skill down.

The alternative is to be an extra in a zombie movie.

-T

Old 31-01-2013, 12:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/29/2013 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Diabetics
urine tasted sweet. And I don't think they had any way to tell what type we
had prior to somewhat recent testing methods.

Okay. Second worst job in history. Ewwww!

Old 31-01-2013, 04:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

No. My body parts are not going to fall off. I have multiple food
intolerances and can't eat any dairy, chicken, fish, shellfish, eggs and
some other foods. I have gastroparesis and can't digest most meat, too much
fat and most vegetables.

I do not have guilt with eating.

I am having a blast. Of course, I need to get my
cooking skill down.

I'm glad you are. But if I ate what you did, they'd have the surgically
remove the bezoar that I would get. That's a food ball. Much like a hair
ball in a cat.

The alternative is to be an extra in a zombie movie.

Well, no. I've had diabetes for about 15 years now. I'm still here.

Old 31-01-2013, 07:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

Gastroparesis. Yikes! What a pain in the neck!

My wife's side of the family has a T2 that is 92 years old.
So, as long as we watch ourselves, we will be fine. I think
of it as a lifestyle, not as a disease. (Though I know of a guy
who refused the restrictions and lost both legs then
his life at age 52 or so. Don't remember the exact number.
He must have really likes sweets and pizza.)

-T

Old 31-01-2013, 10:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

I know plenty of diabetics who eat pizza and sweets. Not saying that it's
right. Or wrong or whatever. Still doesn't mean that we'll lose a limb.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 01/31/2013 02:23 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
My wife's side of the family has a T2 that is 92 years old.
So, as long as we watch ourselves, we will be fine. I think
of it as a lifestyle, not as a disease. (Though I know of a guy
who refused the restrictions and lost both legs then
his life at age 52 or so. Don't remember the exact number.
He must have really likes sweets and pizza.)

-T

I know plenty of diabetics who eat pizza and sweets. Not saying that it's
right. Or wrong or whatever. Still doesn't mean that we'll lose a limb.

I talked to a T2 yesterday. He told me he could not put up
with the restrictions, so he went on insulin. Seems to
be working well for him, if you ignore his two artificial
legs and his heart attack. Very dis-hearting. I suspect the
wild BG swings and the insulin itself (too much is toxic) may
be to account. Yikes! Thank you not, I will keep my feet.
I am rather fond of them.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

What do you mean by restrictions? And what does insulin have to do with
anything? Some people need it. Doesn't mean that they've failed at
anything.

Where is the Egg Talk? W. Baker Diabetic 30 25-08-2011 05:50 PM
Bread and Butter Pickles vs Yum Yum Pickles WLinington General Cooking 19 29-10-2009 10:56 PM
LET'S TALK ABOUT No Name Asian Cooking 2 07-08-2009 08:46 PM
OT? All this talk... Paco's Tacos General Cooking 2 31-05-2007 06:27 AM
Don't Use Tea Talk! Mydnight Tea 12 15-01-2005 11:37 PM