Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's food?

Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here. I
did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am annoyed
at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary grilled
chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the 1st and for
some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and left them
there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she does
actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated bag in
the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's fridge" out of
that is beyond me. Gah!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
> and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here. I
> did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
> annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary
> grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the
> 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and
> left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she
> does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated
> bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
> fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!

I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed peas I
made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to you and yours
Julie.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
>> and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here.
>> did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
>> annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary
>> grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the
>> 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and
>> left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she
>> does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated
>> bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
>> fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
>>

> I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
> green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed peas
> I made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to you and
> yours Julie.
>
> Cheri

Frozen cod fillets - for various reasons fresh cod is nearly unavailable.

Heat oven to 200 C (400 F) and grease a pan large enough to contain the
fillets.

Heat oil in a skillet, lower heat as you add vegetables:
Saute for a couple of minutes chopped onion (medium size, or half a large
one) and 1-2 cloves garlic, add a diced celery stalk, a diced carrot, sliced
mushrooms, a tbsp of capers and a handful of pine nuts. Mix well.

Place fillets (still frozen) in pan, add salt and pepper, put mixture on
top, bake for 20 minutes.

We had some sushi ginger on the side to add flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed
>>> peas
>>> and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here.
>>> did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
>>> annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of
>>> rosemary
>>> grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the
>>> 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and
>>> left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope
>>> she
>>> does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated
>>> bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
>>> fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
>>>

>> I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
>> green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed peas
>> I made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to you and
>> yours Julie.
>>
>> Cheri

> Frozen cod fillets - for various reasons fresh cod is nearly unavailable.
>
> Heat oven to 200 C (400 F) and grease a pan large enough to contain the
> fillets.
>
> Heat oil in a skillet, lower heat as you add vegetables:
> Saute for a couple of minutes chopped onion (medium size, or half a large
> one) and 1-2 cloves garlic, add a diced celery stalk, a diced carrot,
> sliced
> mushrooms, a tbsp of capers and a handful of pine nuts. Mix well.
>
> Place fillets (still frozen) in pan, add salt and pepper, put mixture on
> top, bake for 20 minutes.
>
> We had some sushi ginger on the side to add flavor.

That sounds wonderful!!! I love Cod.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
: > and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here. I
: > did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
: > annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary
: > grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the
: > 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and
: > left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she
: > does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated
: > bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
: > fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
: >

: I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
: green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed peas I
: made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to you and yours
: Julie.

: Cheri

I had a livewurst sandwich on low carb pPepperidge Farm "Carbstyle) whole
wheat and tonight will have a n omelette made with soft-sauteed onions,
tomato and feta cheese along with some fresh stringbeans that i will
microwave.

New Year's Day alone is not much fun, nor ws New Year's Eve, but I did get
to go to a class this morning so I ws with people and thinking:-) Now
it's listen to WQXR-the NYC Classical radio staion on my wonderful new
speakers for the computer whie I write too much drivel like this.

Wendy-who should stop feeling so sorry for herself:-(

Well, Happy New Year!!!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: Cheri wrote:

: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
: >> and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here.
: >> I
: >> did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
: >> annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary
: >> grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the
: >> 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and
: >> left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she
: >> does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated
: >> bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
: >> fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
: >>
: >
[...]

Sounds good! Sometimes I soft-saute vegetables like that in the microwave
for a few minutes in some oil. doesn't need much watching and it
relatively fast.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 19:43:07 +0000 (UTC), in alt.food.diabetic, "W.
Baker" > wrote:

>Cheri > wrote:
>: "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>: ...
>: > Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
>: > and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here. I
>: > did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
>: > annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary
>: > grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the
>: > 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and
>: > left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she
>: > does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated
>: > bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
>: > fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
>: >
>
>: I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
>: green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed peas I
>: made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to you and yours
>: Julie.
>
>: Cheri
>
>I had a livewurst sandwich on low carb pPepperidge Farm "Carbstyle) whole
>wheat and tonight will have a n omelette made with soft-sauteed onions,
>tomato and feta cheese along with some fresh stringbeans that i will
>microwave.
>
>New Year's Day alone is not much fun, nor ws New Year's Eve, but I did get
>to go to a class this morning so I ws with people and thinking:-) Now
>it's listen to WQXR-the NYC Classical radio staion on my wonderful new
>speakers for the computer whie I write too much drivel like this.
>
>Wendy-who should stop feeling so sorry for herself:-(
>
>Well, Happy New Year!!!

Wendy, I have to tell you how much I admire you. You show a strength
and perseverance that is rare. I know holidays are hard after a loss.
I am clear across the country, but sending you good vibes for the new
year.
Take care
Karen
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Cheri wrote:
>
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >> Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed
> : >> peas and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same
> : >> old here. I
> : >> did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
> : >> annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of
> : >> rosemary grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the
> : >> 31st and the 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my
> : >> mom's fridge and
> : >> left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope
> : >> she
> : >> does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the
> : >> insulated
> : >> bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
> : >> fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
> : >>
> : >
> : > I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin,
> : > and green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the
> : > blackeyed peas I made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy
> : > New Year to you and yours Julie.
> : >
> : > Cheri
>
> : Frozen cod fillets - for various reasons fresh cod is nearly
> : unavailable.
>
> : Heat oven to 200 C (400 F) and grease a pan large enough to contain the
> : fillets.
>
> : Heat oil in a skillet, lower heat as you add vegetables:
> : Saute for a couple of minutes chopped onion (medium size, or half a
> : large one) and 1-2 cloves garlic, add a diced celery stalk, a diced
> : carrot, sliced mushrooms, a tbsp of capers and a handful of pine nuts.
> : Mix well.
>
> : Place fillets (still frozen) in pan, add salt and pepper, put mixture on
> : top, bake for 20 minutes.
>
> : We had some sushi ginger on the side to add flavor.
>
> Sounds good! Sometimes I soft-saute vegetables like that in the microwave
> for a few minutes in some oil. doesn't need much watching and it
> relatively fast.
>
> Wendy

It was surprisingly bland, actually - I often use butter to saute
vegetables, but the micro sounds OK, maybe try that sometime. Oh, I have
actually fried bacon in the microwave! Put the bacon strips between sheets
of kitchen paper, and watch the oven like a hawk. It works!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Cheri > wrote:
> : "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed
> : > peas
> : > and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old
> : > here. I
> : > did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
> : > annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of
> : > rosemary grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the
> : > 31st and the 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my
> : > mom's fridge and
> : > left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope
> : > she
> : > does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the
> : > insulated
> : > bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
> : > fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
> : >
>
> : I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
> : green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed
> : peas I made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to
> : you and yours Julie.
>
> : Cheri
>
> I had a livewurst sandwich on low carb pPepperidge Farm "Carbstyle) whole
> wheat and tonight will have a n omelette made with soft-sauteed onions,
> tomato and feta cheese along with some fresh stringbeans that i will
> microwave.
>
> New Year's Day alone is not much fun, nor ws New Year's Eve, but I did get
> to go to a class this morning so I ws with people and thinking:-) Now
> it's listen to WQXR-the NYC Classical radio staion on my wonderful new
> speakers for the computer whie I write too much drivel like this.
>
> Wendy-who should stop feeling so sorry for herself:-(
>
> Well, Happy New Year!!!

Hugs! And Happy New Year!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
>> and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here.
>> I did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
>> annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary
>> grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the
>> 1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and
>> left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she
>> does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated
>> bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
>> fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!
>>

> I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
> green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed peas
> I made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to you and
> yours Julie.

Thanks! Same to you!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: > Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: > : Cheri wrote:
: >
: > : >
[...]

On the infrequent occasions that I render chicken fat(used in Jewish
delicacies like chopped liver and Matzo balls, a kind of soup dumpling), I
now do it in the microwave. It is a pain however you do it, but it takes
less time and doesn't leave you with a burnt pot to scrub as you try to
get the onions and pieces of fat browned after the liquid fat is removed.
this step is nevessary to give it the correct flavor of well browned
onions. You just have to make sure that you do it, (even the soft sautees
vegetables) in a closed container.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: > Cheri > wrote:
: > : "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > : ...
[...]

Thanks everyone. I am just back form another walk and soffee at Starbuks.
I have a January racket there, as I bought a new Starbucks mug for rahter
more than it shoudl have cost, BUT, it came with a full month of FREE
plain coffee(not Lattes. etc) whichis what I dru=ink anyway, caffine in
the morning and decaf the rest of the day. I can have as many 16 mugs
full a day as I want!! I shall have the mug more than paid for before
long:-) It really set me up just fine, and I got to chat with two young
MS violin students, originally from japan, who were working on music
homework. I just seem to have to put myself in places where I am among
eole and often pleasant conversations result. The young women were
thrilled with my wish to see them in a few yers sharing a stand in teh NY
Philharmonic Orchestra:-)

It has been a better New Years day than I expected so now I will go and
make that omelette, which I am looking forward to.

Wendy

New Year's (food) Resolution(s)? ChattyCathy General Cooking 52 01-01-2008 10:15 PM
What's your New Year's food tradition? Terry[_3_] General Cooking 83 30-12-2007 07:27 AM
New Year's food sf General Cooking 4 02-01-2006 03:18 AM
about 9-year-old who won't eat healthy food Nancree General Cooking 90 13-08-2004 09:05 AM
Your worst TG food this year? Vox Humana General Cooking 51 03-12-2003 06:59 PM