Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New Year's food?

Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here. I
did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am annoyed
at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary grilled
chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the 1st and for
some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and left them
there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she does
actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated bag in
the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's fridge" out of
that is beyond me. Gah!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Are you making anything special? I plan to open a can of black eyed peas
and to eat some at some point today but other than that, same old here. I
did make a pot of bean with bacon soup but it's just bleh. And I am
annoyed at Angela because we bought two very expensive pieces of rosemary
grilled chicken that were supposed to be her dinner for the 31st and the
1st and for some inexplicable reason she put them in my mom's fridge and
left them there. So my mom will be eating them. Maybe. I just hope she
does actually eat them. I had told Angela to put them in the insulated
bag in the back of the van. So how she got, "Put them in grandma's
fridge" out of that is beyond me. Gah!

I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed peas I
made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to you and yours
Julie.

Cheri

Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Frozen cod fillets - for various reasons fresh cod is nearly unavailable.

Heat oven to 200 C (400 F) and grease a pan large enough to contain the
fillets.

Heat oil in a skillet, lower heat as you add vegetables:
Saute for a couple of minutes chopped onion (medium size, or half a large
one) and 1-2 cloves garlic, add a diced celery stalk, a diced carrot, sliced
mushrooms, a tbsp of capers and a handful of pine nuts. Mix well.

Place fillets (still frozen) in pan, add salt and pepper, put mixture on
top, bake for 20 minutes.

We had some sushi ginger on the side to add flavor.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjrn Steensrud" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds wonderful!!! I love Cod.

Cheri

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
: ...
:

: I'm having leftovers from yesterday. Turkey, cauliflower au gratin, and
: green beans almondine. I will also have a cup or so of the blackeyed peas I
: made for today, but I'll skip the cornbread. Happy New Year to you and yours
: Julie.

: Cheri

I had a livewurst sandwich on low carb pPepperidge Farm "Carbstyle) whole
wheat and tonight will have a n omelette made with soft-sauteed onions,
tomato and feta cheese along with some fresh stringbeans that i will
microwave.

New Year's Day alone is not much fun, nor ws New Year's Eve, but I did get
to go to a class this morning so I ws with people and thinking:-) Now
it's listen to WQXR-the NYC Classical radio staion on my wonderful new
speakers for the computer whie I write too much drivel like this.

Wendy-who should stop feeling so sorry for herself:-(

Well, Happy New Year!!!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: Cheri wrote:

: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Sounds good! Sometimes I soft-saute vegetables like that in the microwave
for a few minutes in some oil. doesn't need much watching and it
relatively fast.

Wendy

Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 19:43:07 +0000 (UTC), in alt.food.diabetic, "W.
Baker" wrote:

Cheri wrote:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Wendy, I have to tell you how much I admire you. You show a strength
and perseverance that is rare. I know holidays are hard after a loss.
I am clear across the country, but sending you good vibes for the new
year.
Take care
Karen
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: Cheri wrote:

: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

It was surprisingly bland, actually - I often use butter to saute
vegetables, but the micro sounds OK, maybe try that sometime. Oh, I have
actually fried bacon in the microwave! Put the bacon strips between sheets
of kitchen paper, and watch the oven like a hawk. It works!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

Cheri wrote:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Hugs! And Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! Same to you!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: : Cheri wrote:
:
: :
[...]

On the infrequent occasions that I render chicken fat(used in Jewish
delicacies like chopped liver and Matzo balls, a kind of soup dumpling), I
now do it in the microwave. It is a pain however you do it, but it takes
less time and doesn't leave you with a burnt pot to scrub as you try to
get the onions and pieces of fat browned after the liquid fat is removed.
this step is nevessary to give it the correct flavor of well browned
onions. You just have to make sure that you do it, (even the soft sautees
vegetables) in a closed container.

Wendy

Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: Cheri wrote:
: : "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

Thanks everyone. I am just back form another walk and soffee at Starbuks.
I have a January racket there, as I bought a new Starbucks mug for rahter
more than it shoudl have cost, BUT, it came with a full month of FREE
plain coffee(not Lattes. etc) whichis what I dru=ink anyway, caffine in
the morning and decaf the rest of the day. I can have as many 16 mugs
full a day as I want!! I shall have the mug more than paid for before
long:-) It really set me up just fine, and I got to chat with two young
MS violin students, originally from japan, who were working on music
homework. I just seem to have to put myself in places where I am among
eole and often pleasant conversations result. The young women were
thrilled with my wish to see them in a few yers sharing a stand in teh NY
Philharmonic Orchestra:-)

It has been a better New Years day than I expected so now I will go and
make that omelette, which I am looking forward to.

Wendy

New Year's (food) Resolution(s)? ChattyCathy General Cooking 52 01-01-2008 09:15 PM
What's your New Year's food tradition? Terry[_3_] General Cooking 83 30-12-2007 06:27 AM
New Year's food sf General Cooking 4 02-01-2006 02:18 AM
about 9-year-old who won't eat healthy food Nancree General Cooking 90 13-08-2004 09:05 AM
Your worst TG food this year? Vox Humana General Cooking 51 03-12-2003 05:59 PM