Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Year's (food) Resolution(s)?

Here's mine:

1. To eat more shrimp
2. To eat less chocolate
3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
what I'm missing...

Yours?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp
> 2. To eat less chocolate
> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
> what I'm missing...
>
> Yours?

Me? To eat less bad food and more healthy food.

As for eating cabbage, it depends on how its prepared. I like it in
small amounts cooked in soup, or raw in health salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp
> 2. To eat less chocolate
> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
> what I'm missing...
>
> Yours?

Stop the G&Ts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 4:37*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp

Shrimp are fun.

> 2. To eat less chocolate

Trying to avoid sugars? Otherwise, hey, chocolate is good for you.

> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
> what I'm missing...

Ewwww! Don't do that. If cabbage tastes nasty to you, then it tastes
nasty to you.

> Yours?

1. To keep homemade refried beans in the fridge on a regular basis.
2. To eat less carbs.
3. To eat HUGE green salads all the time.

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp
> 2. To eat less chocolate
> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know what
> I'm missing...

Do try more cabbage possibilities, it really is very good.

Mine is to experiment with odder flavor combinations. I don't like to waste
food, so I shy away from really off the wall combinations sometimes, because
I will eat it unless it kills me. I think I'll risk my tongue more often.--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Dec 2007 04:43:11a, Ophelia told us...

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Here's mine:
>>
>> 1. To eat more shrimp
>> 2. To eat less chocolate
>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
>> what I'm missing...
>>
>> Yours?

> Stop the G&Ts

Why would you want to do that, O? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
1dys
If reality wants to reach me, it knows
where I am.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp
> 2. To eat less chocolate
> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
> what I'm missing...

To cut out my pre dinner ManhattanS and the canapés.

Do you not eat cabbage at all. It was one of those things I would eat if it
was served to me. We have been eating al it of red cabbage lately. My
wife usually does it. She slices it very thin and then fries it in a bit of
a butter, adds a bit of apple, a scratch of nutmeg and a bit of lemon
juice. After sautéing it a bit she turns down the burner and puts a top on
the pan. It is delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am a chocoholic -84 yrs old - I will not give it up -I will however
give up anything good for me that I do not like !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am a chocoholic -84 yrs old - I will not give it up -I will however
give up anything good for me that I do not like !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 31 Dec 2007 04:43:11a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> Here's mine:
>>>
>>> 1. To eat more shrimp
>>> 2. To eat less chocolate
>>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
>>> what I'm missing...
>>>
>>> Yours?

>> Stop the G&Ts
>>

> Why would you want to do that, O? :-)

Hmmm good question! )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Dec 2007 08:32:23a, barbara h davis told us...

> I am a chocoholic -84 yrs old - I will not give it up -I will however
> give up anything good for me that I do not like !

I applaud your decision!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
1dys
If reality wants to reach me, it knows
where I am.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbara h davis" > wrote

>I am a chocoholic -84 yrs old - I will not give it up -I will however
> give up anything good for me that I do not like !

(laugh) There's a resolution for you. I resolve to give up
turnips and refried beans! Of course, this won't be hard to
keep since I wouldn't touch either one of those anyway.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:57:22 -0500:

??>> I am a chocoholic -84 yrs old - I will not give it up -I
??>> will however give up anything good for me that I do not
??>> like !

NY> (laugh) There's a resolution for you. I resolve to give
NY> up turnips and refried beans! Of course, this won't be
NY> hard to keep since I wouldn't touch either one of those
NY> anyway.

I'll go along with turnips and add broccoli and French Fries for
the same reasons but I like refritos :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp
> 2. To eat less chocolate
> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
> what I'm missing...
>
> Yours?

We informally made a resolution a couple of months ago to buy and try
something new every time we shop at Uwajimaya (the Asian
mega-supermarket in Seattle). As far as New Year's food-related
resolutions, I'd say the main one is to do more experimenting, even on
weeknights. (I have to justify all these cookbooks somehow...)

The primary goal (not resolution) for this year is to be able to finish
the whole Danskin triathlon in August. (I have to work off the calories
from the aforementioned food experiments somehow...)

Happy New Year, y'all!
Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:37:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
>what I'm missing...

Gas?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:43:11 -0000, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Here's mine:
>>
>> 1. To eat more shrimp
>> 2. To eat less chocolate
>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
>> what I'm missing...
>>
>> Yours?

>Stop the G&Ts

DTs, maybe... but G&Ts? Nevah!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:22:38 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>3. Eat what is in the freezer instead of buying fresh all the time.

Ouch. That might be a hard one. Let us know how you're doing in a
few months.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Here's mine:
>>
>> 1. To eat more shrimp
>> 2. To eat less chocolate
>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
>> what I'm missing...

> To cut out my pre dinner ManhattanS and the canapés.
>

> Do you not eat cabbage at all.

Nope. I don't even like coleslaw... Most of my friends know I despise
it, so they are not offended when I don't eat it if they make it.
However, my Dad is threatening to make his "special cabbage" in the next
few days. He said something about cooking it up with onions and...
something. I'll have to see how he makes it. I might even taste it...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:37:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
>> what I'm missing...

> Gas?

ROFL!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote

> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:37:18 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
>>> what I'm missing...

>> Gas?
>>

> ROFL!

(laugh) Anyway, I'm with the others who said Why eat cabbage
if you don't like it. Heck, I like it and I hardly ever eat it. Having
said that, I now have an itch to make stuffed cabbage, or
make some effort to reproduce Hungarian cabbage soup.

Do you hate brussels sprouts, too? Not taking a survey, heh, just
curious.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 4:37�am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp
> 2. To eat less chocolate
> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
> what I'm missing...
>
> Yours?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Mine a

To enjoy more, and complain less
To smile more and not frown
To care more and not let someone else do it
To give more and take less

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbara h davis wrote:
> I am a chocoholic -84 yrs old - I will not give it up -I will however
> give up anything good for me that I do not like !

Good for you girl)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 4:37�am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp
> 2. To eat less chocolate
> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
> what I'm missing...
>
> Yours?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Oops, just noticed that none of thoese resoultions were specifically
food related.
How about these?

To eat less beets than I had this year( took a bite... euuuuwwww)

To continue to enjoy the freshest and tastiest fruits and veggies

To share my baking with my neighbors!

Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Do you hate brussels sprouts, too? Not taking a survey, heh, just
> curious.

Nope. I *love* Brussels sprouts

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:22:38 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> > wrote:
>
>> 3. Eat what is in the freezer instead of buying fresh all the time.

> Ouch. That might be a hard one. Let us know how you're doing in a
> few months.

We have been running down our big freezer in readiness for moving. I have
had to give some stuff away but we are doing pretty well

It can be done, honest)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> > Do you not eat cabbage at all.

> Nope. I don't even like coleslaw... Most of my friends know I despise
> it, so they are not offended when I don't eat it if they make it.
> However, my Dad is threatening to make his "special cabbage" in the next
> few days. He said something about cooking it up with onions and...
> something. I'll have to see how he makes it. I might even taste it...

I can understand that. I have had enough coleslaw in restaurants and other
places that I can appreciate anyone not liking it. However, I have also had
some pretty good slaw. I have also had sauerkraut that was delicious, and
some that was really not very palatable. I don't much care for regular
boiled cabbage. I will eat it if someone serves it to me, but I never cook
it at home. I do like the red cabbage with apples that my wife cooks.

> > It was one of those things I would eat if it
> > was served to me. We have been eating al it of red cabbage lately. My
> > wife usually does it. She slices it very thin and then fries it in a bit of
> > a butter, adds a bit of apple, a scratch of nutmeg and a bit of lemon
> > juice. After sautéing it a bit she turns down the burner and puts a top on
> > the pan. It is delicious.

> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:18:39 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Do you hate brussels sprouts, too? Not taking a survey, heh, just
>curious.

As for me, I love brussels sprouts but hate cooked cabbage. I'll eat
it, but I certainly don't request it.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:28:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>To cut out my pre dinner ManhattanS and the canapés

Ouch!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

rosie wrote on Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:28:18 -0800 (PST):

r> On Dec 31, 4:37�am, ChattyCathy >
wrote:
??>> Here's mine:
??>>
??>> 1. To eat more shrimp
??>> 2. To eat less chocolate
??>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I
??>> don't know what I'm missing...
??>>
??>> Yours?

r> Oops, just noticed that none of thoese resoultions were
r> specifically food related.
r> How about these?

Again, it's not strictly on the topic of food but my most recent
New Scientist magazine had a quiz, one of whose questions was
this.

Which of these resolutions will do most to help save the planet?

a) Reduce your intake of beef to 1 kilogram a month.
b) Cut your driving by 200 kilometers a month.
c) Writing your resolutions on a sheet of paper and then
recycling it.

According to the magazine, the answer is a) but I really
preferred c)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 8:44�am, Cindy Fuller wrote:

> We informally made a resolution a couple of months
> ago to buy and try something new every time we shop
> at Uwajimaya (the Asian mega-supermarket in Seattle). �

Uwajimaya is a great store. I go to the one in Portland
when I'm there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 7:19 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> rosie wrote on Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:28:18 -0800 (PST):
>
> r> On Dec 31, 4:37�am, ChattyCathy >
> wrote:
> ??>> Here's mine:
> ??>>
> ??>> 1. To eat more shrimp
> ??>> 2. To eat less chocolate
> ??>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I
> ??>> don't know what I'm missing...
> ??>>
> ??>> Yours?
>
> r> Oops, just noticed that none of thoese resoultions were
> r> specifically food related.
> r> How about these?
>
> Again, it's not strictly on the topic of food but my most recent
> New Scientist magazine had a quiz, one of whose questions was
> this.
>
> Which of these resolutions will do most to help save the planet?
>
> a) Reduce your intake of beef to 1 kilogram a month.
> b) Cut your driving by 200 kilometers a month.
> c) Writing your resolutions on a sheet of paper and then
> recycling it.
>
> According to the magazine, the answer is a) but I really
> preferred c)

When I turned 16, I chose not to get a driver license because I
thought (I believe correctly) that driving was incompatible with
drinking beer, and I knew which I wanted to do more.
b) would be OK with me. I'd rather take the bus to/from work every
day than severely limit my beef consumption.

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
6.121...
> jay > dropped this news:1rkqag7pn3o9l.poeulouxbk3h$.dlg@
> 40tude.net: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:22:38 GMT, Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> >
> >> ChattyCathy > dropped this news:BC3ej.8$E%1.1
> >> @fe107.usenetserver.com: in rec.food.cooking

> >> 1. Lay off the Hershey's Kisses
> >> 2. Eat more salads
> >> 3. Eat what is in the freezer instead of buying fresh all the time.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > In regard to #2 and #3.. did BOBO help with this list? (:

> No, Bryan has no say so over my salads or what is in my freezer. A non
> food resolution is to frigging read the mountain of books I've bought. I
> just keep buying them and seem to never have time to read them.
>
> Michael
> --

I hear you on the book thing. I have a collection of fiction (I'm a
recreational reader, and don't often read non fiction) of my own, but am a
part time librarian. I keep finding interesting books in the course of my
work day. Somehow, my resolution to read some of my own first goes down the
tubes once I spot another library book. I may lose my position, though, as
our council members have announced that to reduce the property tax increase
from six point eight to four point eight, they are considering closing four
libraries in the municipality. That really bites since we are the smallest
and may be the first to go..... Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "biig" > dropped this :
> in rec.food.cooking
>

> > I hear you on the book thing. I have a collection of fiction (I'm
> > recreational reader, and don't often read non fiction) of my own, but
> > am a part time librarian. I keep finding interesting books in the
> > course of my work day. Somehow, my resolution to read some of my own
> > first goes down the tubes once I spot another library book. I may
> > lose my position, though, as our council members have announced that
> > to reduce the property tax increase from six point eight to four point
> > eight, they are considering closing four libraries in the
> > municipality. That really bites since we are the smallest and may be
> > the first to go..... Sharon

> That's too bad Sharon ;( I hope it doesn't happen. I buy cookbooks,
> biographys and a smattering of fiction. I also like true crime. At
> present I have 18 books that I have yet to open the covers on. Oy vey...

so
> much to read.
>
> Michael

I don't buy new books. My income doesn't allow it, but yard sales are a
great source for fiction. I also have a large collection of cookbooks from
yard sales also. Many of them have pretty awful recipes, but I manage to
pick the best ones to try. I've read all of Mary Higgins Clarke mysteries,
but lately have been reading
books about the Amish. Beverly Lewis, Wanda Brunstetter, Cindy Woodsmall.
and others......A public library is also a good source for cookbooks.
.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2007, 5:37*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> Here's mine:
>
> 1. To eat more shrimp
> 2. To eat less chocolate
> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
> what I'm missing...
>
> Yours?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

I recently saw Drs. Roizen and Oz on TV. They really tell it like
it is. Their view of autopsied body parts was most sobering. The
message I got was loud and clear. Look after your heart and
circulatory system, your immune systems and your guts. Watch out for
the fat, sugar and processed food. As I type this I am watching
"Inside Brookhaven Obesity clinic" . Wow!!!!! Lots more fresh
vegetables and grains from the dirt on my farm for this boy. Do I want
to live to be 100? Absolutely!!!!

Farmer John

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:28:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> Here's mine:
>>
>> 1. To eat more shrimp
>> 2. To eat less chocolate
>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I don't know
>> what I'm missing...

>To cut out my pre dinner ManhattanS and the canapés.
>

>Do you not eat cabbage at all. It was one of those things I would eat if it
>was served to me. We have been eating al it of red cabbage lately. My
>wife usually does it. She slices it very thin and then fries it in a bit of
>a butter, adds a bit of apple, a scratch of nutmeg and a bit of lemon
>juice. After sautéing it a bit she turns down the burner and puts a top on
>the pan. It is delicious.

also strips in stir-fries, if you make them.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Mom's younger sister, Aunt Jane, the health food nut, who only shopped
> at Whole Foods, used to tell Mom not to eat bacon because it would kill
> you. Aunt Jane died when she was 82 and Mom is 90. I told Mom if I
> lived to be 90, I would eat fried pig dipped in mayonnaise.
>
> Eat your chocolate, it has not hurt you, yet.

My father in law lived on high fat and salty foods. He started the day with
some granola and yoghurt followed by two poached eggs (on toast) with
melted cheddar on top followed by another piece of toast with lots of
butter and a spoonful of honey on each bite. At noon he went downtown and
had lunch in a restaurant or at one of his clubs, so you can count on a lot
of salt and fat. He always had a drink with his meals, wine or beer, or
both. He had a nap in the afternoon and when he got up he would have his
dinner, crackers with peanut butter and a double martini. Whenever he ate
at our house he always had lots of meat and gravy. He was very active and
alert and died peacefully in his sleep about a month before his 95th
birthday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:17:52 GMT:

??>> ChattyCathy wrote:
??>>>
??>>> Here's mine:
??>>>
??>>> 1. To eat more shrimp
??>>> 2. To eat less chocolate
??>>> 3. To force myself to eat cabbage - some people tell me I
??>>> don't know what I'm missing...
??>>
??>> To cut out my pre dinner ManhattanS and the canapés.
??>>
??>> Do you not eat cabbage at all. It was one of those things
??>> I would eat if it was served to me. We have been eating
??>> al it of red cabbage lately. My wife usually does it. She
??>> slices it very thin and then fries it in a bit of a
??>> butter, adds a bit of apple, a scratch of nutmeg and a bit
??>> of lemon juice. After sautéing it a bit she turns down the
??>> burner and puts a top on the pan. It is delicious.

bm> also strips in stir-fries, if you make them.

Most cabbage haters have been subjected to overcooked stuff,
IMHO. Cabbage does not need to be cooked at all. Shredded
cabbage makes some pretty good salads and Japanese Tonkatsu, for
example, is served on it. Strictly speaking, Tonkatsu is
deep-fried, battered pork but oven-fried chicken also works. One
salad that I like is Cabbage & Mushroom Salad (Insalata
Appetitosa, from Bologna)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

New Year's Resolution Sky General Cooking 2 25-12-2010 12:03 AM
Your rfc New Year's Resolution... Gregory Morrow[_141_] General Cooking 90 04-01-2009 03:56 PM
(2007-12-31) 2007's final survey: Making New Year's Resolution(s)? ChattyCathy General Cooking 5 31-12-2007 09:13 PM
What's your tea resolution? Tea Tea 6 08-01-2004 07:55 PM
New Year's resolution for everyone DJS0302 General Cooking 19 08-01-2004 07:29 PM