Old 14-11-2012, 07:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Thanksgiving meal.

This year is going to be kind of weird. Most likely my dad will still be in
the rehab place. They will be serving Thanksgiving dinner and guests can
eat there, for a few of course. However my brother, SIL and mom will be
eating at a restaurant. My nephew may also join them. Not sure. But the
meal this place is serving is not something Angela and I can eat. Yes we
could have the turkey or the ham (except that we don't eat ham) but really
everything else is off limits either because of our food intolerances or the
South Beach diet.

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of mushrooms,
celery and onions with a small amount of whole wheat bread cubes, broth and
seasonings. The original recipe calls for something I can't have. I can't
remember what that was. I left it out and it was fine. Might have been
Worcestershire sauce. Whatever it was, it was a small amount. I've been
buying the Kirkland (Costco) brand sliced turkey breast. It's much cheaper
than the stuff I usually buy when we have Thanksgiving at home and we're
fine with it so we'll have that. Boxed gluten free and dairy free gravy.
We don't even need the GF any more but I can't have the dairy. Canned green
beans. Probably some olives. We both like olives. The only special thing
that we will have is some baked apples. I will probably just buy extra of
the sliced apples from Costco and bake them with a little cinnamon. I don't
think they'll need any sweetener.

Must look for some festive paper plates. Yes, that is what we use. Or
maybe the fancy plastic disposable kind. I'll let Angela pick. We usually
get some fancy plastic cutlery too. Angela likes the silver colored stuff.

Will be weird to have just the two of us this year. Even when my husband is
home I have to go to greater lengths for the meal than I normally would.
But he likes the legs only so I usually do a whole crock-pot full of those.
And I buy and/or make various finger foods for him because he eats while
watching football. But we won't need to do that now.

I might try to give Bali and Jazzy a little turkey. Bali might eat it. She
did eat a little bit of chicken once. But Jazzy seems to only like tuna.
Maui used to love the Thanksgiving meal. I always gave her a little plate
of turkey and some mashed potatoes. She loved potatoes. These two will
sniff the human food but generally they don't eat it.

Old 14-11-2012, 03:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to Worcestershire.

pavane

Old 14-11-2012, 07:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
That should say for a fee. Gah!

I knew that. :-)

Cheri

Old 14-11-2012, 07:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"pavane" wrote in message

Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to Worcestershire.

pavane

And your Thanksgiving meal is going to be?

Cheri

Old 14-11-2012, 07:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
..

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
mushrooms,

..

Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham for
Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny, like
pumpkin custard.
That's it.

Cheri

Old 14-11-2012, 08:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"pavane" wrote in message

Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to Worcestershire.

pavane

And your Thanksgiving meal is going to be?

Cheri

Primarily made by others, thank you for asking.

pavane

Old 14-11-2012, 10:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
: .
:
: So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
: South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
: mushrooms,
: .

: Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
: pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
: Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham for
: Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
: casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny, like
: pumpkin custard.
: That's it.

: Cheri

I am invited to my son's for Thanksgiving this year, but, as requested, I
will supply the cranberry sauce (no sugar aded) and the desserts, an apply
either one crust(upper or crumble no sugar added, and a pumpkin pie with a
nut crust and no added sugar. there are several diabetics at this dinner,
so these are especially appreciated. My D-I-L makes a lovely suash and
pear soup that she usually serves adn will roast a lovely turkey with some
trimmings,. there wilbe a stuffing(cooked out ot the bird) and a salad an
d vegetables adn perhaps potatoes but I am not sure.

To me, thanksgiving is aboaut a whole lot of things, not only stuffing
your face, but being with family and friends and realizing that it
epitomizes our US motto, E Pluribus Unim(from many -one, as no matter
where we or our ancestors came from, no matter what our religion or
not, we are all Americans together. The way we serve ot dinner
illusrates this as different ethnicities use different side dishes with
teh turkey, lassagna in many Italian homes, and sweet potato pie in many
southern homes, while many of us do pumpkin pie(in the case of Kosher
Jews, prepared with soy or almond or some non-milk milk, etc. I also know
of some vegetarians who make a tofu turkey!

Let's us all just enoy out diversity and unity as we celebrate this great
holiday.

Wendy
Old 14-11-2012, 11:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"pavane" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"pavane" wrote in message

Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to Worcestershire.

pavane

And your Thanksgiving meal is going to be?

Cheri

Primarily made by others, thank you for asking.

pavane

You're welcome. I imagine the fact that you're not doing much of anything
for anybody, it leaves you a lot of spare time for sarcasm.

Cheri

Old 14-11-2012, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a great menu Wendy! I've never had squash and pear soup, sounds
intriguing. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Cheri

Old 14-11-2012, 11:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:56:26 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
mushrooms,

.

Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham for
Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny, like
pumpkin custard.
That's it.

Cheri

So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

Old 15-11-2012, 12:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
.

So... I will be fixing a meal for just the two of us. We both like the
South Beach stuffing. It is baked in a pan. A goodly portion of
mushrooms,

.

Same here, we were invited elsewhere, but just not up to it. I have a 12
pound turkey that I'm going to give a try with cooking it like Trisha
Yearwood showed, but not for Thanksgiving. I think I'll make a small ham
for
Thanksgiving, but with just the two of us, not a lot of fuss. Cauliflower
casserole with lots of cheese and a salad. Dessert, something pumpkiny,
like
pumpkin custard.
That's it.

Cheri

So, I'm curious. How did Trisha Yearwood cook the turkey?

I watched her do it on her cooking show, and it looked good, and she said it
always turns out wonderful and leaves the oven free for other stuff. Dunno,
so will try it. I'm not really such a huge fan of Turkey other than
sandwiches which I really don't eat much anymore, so if it turns out to be
not as good as it could be, it will be turned into dog food. :-)

7 hr 10 min.
Prep10 min.
Cook7 hr 0 min.
Yield:10 to 12 servings .

Ingredients
1/2 stick salted butter, softened
One 12-pound turkey, completely thawed and all giblets removed
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 stalks celery, cut in lengths to fit turkey cavity .
1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half
1 large carrot, cut in lengths to fit the turkey cavity
2 cups boiling water

Directions:

Adjust the oven racks so the covered roasting pan fit easily inside. Preheat
the oven to 500 degrees F.

Rub the butter on the outside and in the cavity of the turkey. Sprinkle the
salt and pepper on the inside and the outside of the turkey. Put the celery,
onion and carrot in the cavity. Place the turkey, breast-side up, in a large
roasting pan. Pour the boiling water into the pan. Cover with a
tight-fitting lid and put the pan in the oven.

Start a timer when the oven temperature returns to 500 degrees F.

Bake for exactly 1 hour and turn off the oven.

Do not open the oven door!

Leave the turkey in the oven until the oven completely cools; this may take
4 to 6 hours.
Reserve the pan juices and refrigerate the turkey if it will not be served
soon after roasting.

Old 15-11-2012, 03:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"pavane" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"pavane" wrote in message

Oh Damn It. I knew I should not have switched to General Hospital
last week. Apparently I missed the episodes in which the husband
disappeared and they found out that Julie is allergic to
Worcestershire.

pavane

And your Thanksgiving meal is going to be?

Cheri

Primarily made by others, thank you for asking.

pavane

You're welcome. I imagine the fact that you're not doing much of anything
for anybody, it leaves you a lot of spare time for sarcasm.

Well, that was a rather sarcastic thing to say. Julie didn't mind my
wisecrack (not sarcasm, wisecrack) so why on earth should you?

pavane

Old 15-11-2012, 03:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

We will be going to my Son's house in Scottsdale. My DIL, really puts on a
spread. She will have turkey, bread stuffing and cornbread sausage stuffing,
mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecans, salad,fruit salad, corn
casserole, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberries, and of course pumpkin
pie. and a pumpkin cheesecake. Her brother will bring a ham.
This is one time a year her family and our family join hands...she is
Hispanic and allot of her family live in the Phoenix area, they will be
there, as a couple of Aunts and cousins from Mexico...there will be a new
baby we haven't met yet. Thank Goodness they have a big house. Wayne and I
will go up Wednesday and come back Sunday...we used to do power shopping
while up there but that is out until I get a scooter, my Dr is ready to fill
out the paperwork, but I am waiting till we get our new SUV in a few months
so we will know what kind of lift to get. Anyways, we are looking forward to
our visit. I love the holidays especially if I don't have to do the cooking

Old 15-11-2012, 03:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
: .
:
[...]

I agree with you Wendy, it's all about family and friends. I love it when
our families get together, everybody is so busy with their lives we don't
get to see each other much but during the holidays we all try to take some
time out just to catch up..

Thanksgiving meal piedmont Barbecue 8 01-12-2009 06:31 PM
A Rather Odd Thanksgiving Meal jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 181 03-12-2008 02:18 PM
Our Thanksgiving meal :) Arri London General Cooking 24 29-11-2008 04:33 AM
Integrate a Few New Superfoods into Thanksgiving Meal Planning? DGJ General Cooking 11 12-11-2007 10:05 PM
Thanksgiving meal mostly original Amerindian stuff Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 25 29-11-2006 05:38 AM