Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Our Thanksgiving meal :)

Ribs, sweet potatoes, parsnip/carrot puree, green salad. Maybe small
fruit tarts for afters later.

Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it today! And have a nice
nap after...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> Ribs, sweet potatoes, parsnip/carrot puree, green salad. Maybe small
> fruit tarts for afters later.
>
> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them
> to the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it today! And have a
> nice nap after...

At our house--eta 6PM--Turkey w/sausage/apple/bread/bourbon stuffing; Hummel
un Erde (puree of caramelized apple and onion w rutabaga and potato);
brussels sprouts blanched, quartered and browened in butter;Sweet potatoes
with orange/fresh ginger/spices (the token no fat item, but you don't miss
it); gravy of course; pumpkin, pecan w/rum, and blueberry pies. I'm
restraining myself from cooking some more vegetables!

Four people. I love leftovers. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote:

> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.

I'm kinda torn between the surf...

http://i38.tinypic.com/2450z9v.jpg

Or the turf...

http://i33.tinypic.com/1eml1f.jpg

Nobody in town had good deals on turkey this year ($.37/lb - feh!).
Still wasn't low enough.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Arri London > wrote:
>
>> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
>> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.

> I'm kinda torn between the surf...
>
> http://i38.tinypic.com/2450z9v.jpg
>
> Or the turf...
>
> http://i33.tinypic.com/1eml1f.jpg
>
> Nobody in town had good deals on turkey this year ($.37/lb - feh!).
> Still wasn't low enough.

I'd definitely go with the turf. Allergies to seafood tend to bias my
choice though.

69 cents a pound was as low as they got for turkeys here this time. I used
to see 37 cents a pound in Tennessee. 10 years ago!

Great price on that slab BTW.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Arri London > wrote:
>>
>>> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
>>> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.

>> I'm kinda torn between the surf...
>>
>> http://i38.tinypic.com/2450z9v.jpg
>>
>> Or the turf...
>>
>> http://i33.tinypic.com/1eml1f.jpg
>>
>> Nobody in town had good deals on turkey this year ($.37/lb - feh!).
>> Still wasn't low enough.

> I'd definitely go with the turf. Allergies to seafood tend to bias my
> choice though.

I've seen the picture of you breaking out in hives. I'm allergic to
shrimp (crab, lobster) too. But I eat a couple shrimp every few
weeks to desensitize myself to it.

> 69 cents a pound was as low as they got for turkeys here this time. I used
> to see 37 cents a pound in Tennessee. 10 years ago!

This $.37/lb price was only good a store at which I'd have to spend
another $25. And I could never spend $25 at Randall's without
getting ripped off. So I passed.

> Great price on that slab BTW.

The Polder probe is about to reach 121F after searing in the cast
iron pan and then put in a 240F oven.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> Ribs, sweet potatoes, parsnip/carrot puree, green salad. Maybe small
> fruit tarts for afters later.
>
> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it today! And have a nice
> nap after...

Dumping the turkey isn't a bad idea. I've kind-of decided to just
do accoutrements next year--possibly a chicken too. Maybe just
sides and dessert.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 03:28:36p, Jean B. told us...

> Arri London wrote:
>> Ribs, sweet potatoes, parsnip/carrot puree, green salad. Maybe small
>> fruit tarts for afters later.
>>
>> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
>> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.
>>
>> Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it today! And have a nice
>> nap after...

> Dumping the turkey isn't a bad idea. I've kind-of decided to just
> do accoutrements next year--possibly a chicken too. Maybe just
> sides and dessert.

I could live with that!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
Cats must sleep on Dad's face & lick his nose while he tries to sleep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> Ribs, sweet potatoes, parsnip/carrot puree, green salad. Maybe small
> fruit tarts for afters later.
>
> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it today! And have a nice
> nap after...

That sounds like a nice change from turkey. It would certainly suit me.
We are having breaded pork chops tonight, but it was Thanskgiving a
month ago, and we had capon for that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 03:28:36p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Arri London wrote:
>>> Ribs, sweet potatoes, parsnip/carrot puree, green salad. Maybe small
>>> fruit tarts for afters later.
>>>
>>> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
>>> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.
>>>
>>> Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it today! And have a nice
>>> nap after...

>> Dumping the turkey isn't a bad idea. I've kind-of decided to just
>> do accoutrements next year--possibly a chicken too. Maybe just
>> sides and dessert.
>>

> I could live with that!

I rather like that idea, esp. since my daughter doesn't like
turkey. I could even buy some decent turkey (already prepared) if
I felt I had to have it. So far, I am thinking I will make the
James Beard stuffing that Damsel has posted several times (maybe
in ball form, and maybe splitting the recipe so it is half
tarragon and half thyme), the make-ahead gravy, maybe "Squeak's"
potato dish... Hard to decide on the cranberry sauce, chutney or
whatever. I do have a favorite, but I also have a lot of
yummy-sounding recipes including your cranberry-fig one and a
cranberry cherry one that I saw today. Our pie, of course.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 03:46:16p, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

nice
>>> Dumping the turkey isn't a bad idea. I've kind-of decided to just
>>> do accoutrements next year--possibly a chicken too. Maybe just
>>> sides and dessert.
>>>

>> I could live with that!
>>

> I rather like that idea, esp. since my daughter doesn't like
> turkey. I could even buy some decent turkey (already prepared) if
> I felt I had to have it. So far, I am thinking I will make the
> James Beard stuffing that Damsel has posted several times (maybe
> in ball form, and maybe splitting the recipe so it is half
> tarragon and half thyme), the make-ahead gravy, maybe "Squeak's"
> potato dish... Hard to decide on the cranberry sauce, chutney or
> whatever. I do have a favorite, but I also have a lot of
> yummy-sounding recipes including your cranberry-fig one and a
> cranberry cherry one that I saw today. Our pie, of course.

It all sounds good, Jean, but you have a whole year to polish that menu.

For the most part, I make the same dishes every year because we look
forward to a very traditional Thanksgiving meal, but will switch off on one
or two dishes. If they’re hits, I add them to a list to be repeated at
some point. If I had my way, I’d never bother roasting turkey again, but
David loves it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when open.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> TFM® > wrote:

>> I'd definitely go with the turf. Allergies to seafood tend to bias my
>> choice though.

> I've seen the picture of you breaking out in hives. I'm allergic to
> shrimp (crab, lobster) too. But I eat a couple shrimp every few
> weeks to desensitize myself to it.

I keep forgetting that trick.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in :

> Ribs, sweet potatoes, parsnip/carrot puree, green salad. Maybe small
> fruit tarts for afters later.
>
> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it today! And have a nice
> nap after...

Well, as we don't do TG over here (and I only *just* looked up the dates
that it's on..... every 4th Thursday of Nov.)......

we had a Rogan Josh beef curry with coconut rice last night.

Very tender and yummy :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell peppers
nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the dregs of a
stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an ashtray. Not a bad
drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Arri London > wrote:
>
>> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
>> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.

> I'm kinda torn between the surf...
>
> http://i38.tinypic.com/2450z9v.jpg
>
> Or the turf...
>
> http://i33.tinypic.com/1eml1f.jpg

Okay, I'm joining Costco. Killer price on filet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Arri London > wrote:
>>
>>> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
>>> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.

>> I'm kinda torn between the surf...
>>
>> http://i38.tinypic.com/2450z9v.jpg
>>
>> Or the turf...
>>
>> http://i33.tinypic.com/1eml1f.jpg
>>

> Okay, I'm joining Costco. Killer price on filet.

No kidding! Last weekend I bought 2 filet mignon for the same price he got
the whole tenderloin for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote
>> Okay, I'm joining Costco. Killer price on filet.

> No kidding! Last weekend I bought 2 filet mignon for the same price he
> got the whole tenderloin for.

I have simply never seen this cut for less than $10 and it's usually much
more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote:
>
>> Or the turf...
>>
>> http://i33.tinypic.com/1eml1f.jpg

> Okay, I'm joining Costco. Killer price on filet.

The inside of the fillet:

http://i37.tinypic.com/312z66b.jpg

This was purposely cut with the grain so it has more tooth to it.
It was too tender to cut across the grain.

Yes, it's cooked rare.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> TFM® > wrote:

>>> I'd definitely go with the turf. Allergies to seafood tend to bias my
>>> choice though.

>> I've seen the picture of you breaking out in hives. I'm allergic to
>> shrimp (crab, lobster) too. But I eat a couple shrimp every few
>> weeks to desensitize myself to it.

> I keep forgetting that trick.

It doesn't seem to work for my daughter. If anything, her intolerance
of shellfish and seafood in general seems to be broadening.

Her first documented adverse reaction happened in Mexico about 4 years
ago, when we ate shellfish every day for a week. She broke out in a
red, sandpaper rash, but then again so did, I, my sister and our mother
(her grandmother0. Dad, uncle and grandfather showed no symptoms.

Since then DD has displayed dermatological reactions to shrimp, crab,
crawdads, and, weirdly enough, lox. And, unfortunately, her last couple
of exposures have also generated itching of the palate and throat. And
that's where I say "uncle". I know she likes seafood, but her next
reaction may be bad enough to close her airway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:

> No kidding! Last weekend I bought 2 filet mignon for the same price he got
> the whole tenderloin for.

That's not a whole tenderloin - only the large end of it. It's only
about 2.5lbs. And it's Cryo-vaced so I knew it would last in the
fridge for 4 days before I cooked it.

Fillet mignon are the same price at CostCo but are packed in larger
packages by weight thereby you usually spend more on steaks.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> cybercat > wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote:
>>
>>> Or the turf...
>>>
>>> http://i33.tinypic.com/1eml1f.jpg

>> Okay, I'm joining Costco. Killer price on filet.

> The inside of the fillet:
>
> http://i37.tinypic.com/312z66b.jpg
>
> This was purposely cut with the grain so it has more tooth to it.
> It was too tender to cut across the grain.
>
> Yes, it's cooked rare.

It's beautiful. I like it just a little more done, but not much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:53:07p, Kathleen told us...

> TFM® wrote:

>>> I've seen the picture of you breaking out in hives. I'm allergic to
>>> shrimp (crab, lobster) too. But I eat a couple shrimp every few
>>> weeks to desensitize myself to it.

>> I keep forgetting that trick.

> It doesn't seem to work for my daughter. If anything, her intolerance
> of shellfish and seafood in general seems to be broadening.
>
> Her first documented adverse reaction happened in Mexico about 4 years
> ago, when we ate shellfish every day for a week. She broke out in a
> red, sandpaper rash, but then again so did, I, my sister and our mother
> (her grandmother0. Dad, uncle and grandfather showed no symptoms.

Sounds like it’s a “woman” thing. <g>

> Since then DD has displayed dermatological reactions to shrimp, crab,
> crawdads, and, weirdly enough, lox. And, unfortunately, her last couple
> of exposures have also generated itching of the palate and throat. And
> that's where I say "uncle". I know she likes seafood, but her next
> reaction may be bad enough to close her airway.

Clearly she should avoid the seafood and the lox. I saw this happen in a
restaurant once. The paramedics had a hard time, and the person damned
near died. They had gone into anaphylactic shock.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
'I'm Sorry!! I... I must have been sober!!' - Bloom County

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen > wrote:

> Since then DD has displayed dermatological reactions to shrimp, crab,
> crawdads, and, weirdly enough, lox. And, unfortunately, her last couple
> of exposures have also generated itching of the palate and throat. And
> that's where I say "uncle". I know she likes seafood, but her next
> reaction may be bad enough to close her airway.

My first few reactions were very severe. I still carry an Epipen
around most of the time, and always have one handy here at home (I'm
even more allergic to fire ants). I never eat shellfish in public -
always at home. And not because I hate to get my Lee Press-On Nails
dirty shelling shellfish.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> cybercat > wrote:

>>> Okay, I'm joining Costco. Killer price on filet.

>> The inside of the fillet:
>>
>> http://i37.tinypic.com/312z66b.jpg
>>
>> This was purposely cut with the grain so it has more tooth to it.
>> It was too tender to cut across the grain.
>>
>> Yes, it's cooked rare.

> It's beautiful. I like it just a little more done, but not much.

I put this back in the oven after I took those slices. It was just
slightly rare for me, too. Tenderloin can stand to go to 130F
without any loss of taste or texture. I'm thinking my Polder probe
was off, too.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Kathleen > wrote:
>
>> Since then DD has displayed dermatological reactions to shrimp, crab,
>> crawdads, and, weirdly enough, lox. And, unfortunately, her last couple
>> of exposures have also generated itching of the palate and throat. And
>> that's where I say "uncle". I know she likes seafood, but her next
>> reaction may be bad enough to close her airway.

> My first few reactions were very severe. I still carry an Epipen
> around most of the time, and always have one handy here at home (I'm
> even more allergic to fire ants). I never eat shellfish in public -
> always at home. And not because I hate to get my Lee Press-On Nails
> dirty shelling shellfish.

Those press on nails are the shit for deveining, ain't they?

Odd about the fire ants. They only bother me for a minute or two. Wasp
stings will hurt me for days and swell me up like I have elephantiosis.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-11-28, TFM® > wrote:

> Odd about the fire ants. They only bother me for a minute or two. Wasp
> stings will hurt me for days and swell me up like I have elephantiosis.

I got stung on the top of my foot by something ....looked like some sort of
micro-bee... last Summer. Mildly painful for only about 24hrs, but for the
next three weeks I endured a maddening itching that spread from above my
ankle to my toe-tips and could only be compared to severe poison oak, of
which I'm severely allergic. Damn near scratched the sting point into an
infection. Bizarre.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Ribs, sweet potatoes, parsnip/carrot puree, green salad. Maybe small
> fruit tarts for afters later.
>
> Just did *not* want turkey this year, so we bought two and gave them to
> the food bank instead, along with nonperishables.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it today! And have a nice
> nap after...

The menu wasn't my idea LOL. Would never serve two orange vegs at the
same meal.

Dessert ended up being caramelised walnuts and chopped dried apricots
spooned into puff pastry shells.
Homemade brownies for the later tea after the nap

Thanksgiving meal. Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 34 18-11-2012 03:13 AM
Thanksgiving meal piedmont Barbecue 8 01-12-2009 06:31 PM
A Rather Odd Thanksgiving Meal jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 181 03-12-2008 02:18 PM
Integrate a Few New Superfoods into Thanksgiving Meal Planning? DGJ General Cooking 11 12-11-2007 10:05 PM
Thanksgiving meal mostly original Amerindian stuff Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 25 29-11-2006 05:38 AM