Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Rather Odd Thanksgiving Meal

With everything that has been going on this week (Mom's funeral was on
Tuesday, had to meet with her attorney on Thursday) I was quite relieved
when my middle-brother suggested we eat out for Thanksgiving. Oh thank
bast, I don't have to cook!

My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area chain. They
offered their regular menu but also had a few "specials" for Thanksgiving.
I really don't like turkey but I knew they were also offering roasted pork
loin. Okay, I can live with that But when we got there they'd added
another "special" to the menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.

I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when they
became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death in every
possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It almost seemed to have
some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy outside (but no sort of breading
<shudder>) and fork tender and juicy inside.

They also seemed to know "scampi" doesn't mean shrimp in butter/garlic
sauce! Both the salmon and the shrimp were topped with a lovely herbed
cream sauce, served on a bed of rice. But hey, this is the south. I also
had to select two side dishes (and no, macaroni & cheese wasn't one of them
LOL). I chose broccoli casserole and spinach. It never occurred to me I'd
get a double whammy of rice since broccoli casserole, which I've made many
times in the past, also contains rice. But no matter. I couldn't eat half
of my dinner anyway. So I <gasp> asked for a to-go box.

This place routinely places a basket of bread on the table. It includes
delicious pumpkin bread which tastes a lot like gingerbread to me. Also
jalapeno cornbread and huge whole wheat rolls.

Anyway, it was a very good, albeit rather odd, Thanksgiving meal. I
couldn't quite identify what herbs were in that cream sauce. I've made
basil cream sauces in the past but this wasn't basil. And not quite strong
enough to be tarragon. Since technically I'm from out of town I plan to
call the restaurant just before they open for lunch today to see if I can
get the recipe for that salmon/shrimp & sauce. All they can do is say no.
And sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will actually give you their recipes.

Hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday had a wonderful day.
And thank you all for your kind words after my mother's death. They are
much appreciated.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> With everything that has been going on this week (Mom's funeral was on
> Tuesday, had to meet with her attorney on Thursday) I was quite relieved
> when my middle-brother suggested we eat out for Thanksgiving. Oh thank
> bast, I don't have to cook!
>
> My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area chain. They
> offered their regular menu but also had a few "specials" for Thanksgiving.
> I really don't like turkey but I knew they were also offering roasted pork
> loin. Okay, I can live with that But when we got there they'd added
> another "special" to the menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.
>
> I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when they
> became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death in every
> possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It almost seemed to have
> some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy outside (but no sort of breading
> <shudder>) and fork tender and juicy inside.
>
> They also seemed to know "scampi" doesn't mean shrimp in butter/garlic
> sauce! Both the salmon and the shrimp were topped with a lovely herbed
> cream sauce, served on a bed of rice. But hey, this is the south. I also
> had to select two side dishes (and no, macaroni & cheese wasn't one of them
> LOL). I chose broccoli casserole and spinach. It never occurred to me I'd
> get a double whammy of rice since broccoli casserole, which I've made many
> times in the past, also contains rice. But no matter. I couldn't eat half
> of my dinner anyway. So I <gasp> asked for a to-go box.
>
> This place routinely places a basket of bread on the table. It includes
> delicious pumpkin bread which tastes a lot like gingerbread to me. Also
> jalapeno cornbread and huge whole wheat rolls.
>
> Anyway, it was a very good, albeit rather odd, Thanksgiving meal. I
> couldn't quite identify what herbs were in that cream sauce. I've made
> basil cream sauces in the past but this wasn't basil. And not quite strong
> enough to be tarragon. Since technically I'm from out of town I plan to
> call the restaurant just before they open for lunch today to see if I can
> get the recipe for that salmon/shrimp & sauce. All they can do is say no.
> And sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will actually give you their recipes.
>
> Hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday had a wonderful day.
> And thank you all for your kind words after my mother's death. They are
> much appreciated.
>
> Jill

The salmon sounds similar to what we make on the grill. The high
temperature gives it the crispy exterior, along with the glaze (in our
case, a 1:1 mixture of maple syrup and soy sauce).

The original Thanksgiving feast included wild game (venison and fowl)
and seafood, so you weren't too far off. Having Tofurky would be
another story entirely.

Cindy, wondering what her Pilgrim ancestors would have thought of
Tofurky...

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> With everything that has been going on this week (Mom's funeral was
>> on Tuesday, had to meet with her attorney on Thursday) I was quite
>> relieved when my middle-brother suggested we eat out for
>> Thanksgiving. Oh thank bast, I don't have to cook!
>>
>> My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area
>> chain. They offered their regular menu but also had a few
>> "specials" for Thanksgiving. I really don't like turkey but I knew
>> they were also offering roasted pork loin. Okay, I can live with
>> that But when we got there they'd added another "special" to the
>> menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.
>>
>> I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when
>> they became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death
>> in every possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It
>> almost seemed to have some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy
>> outside (but no sort of breading <shudder>) and fork tender and
>> juicy inside.
>>

> The salmon sounds similar to what we make on the grill. The high
> temperature gives it the crispy exterior, along with the glaze (in our
> case, a 1:1 mixture of maple syrup and soy sauce).
>
> The original Thanksgiving feast included wild game (venison and fowl)
> and seafood, so you weren't too far off. Having Tofurky would be
> another story entirely.
>
> Cindy, wondering what her Pilgrim ancestors would have thought of
> Tofurky...

Tofu isn't turkey. Tofu isn't beef. Tofu isn't anything. But feel free to
pretend it is!

Maple glaze might have factored into the glaze for the salmon although I
didn't taste anything maple. I'm in South Carolina so maybe it was Karo
corn syrup. Just a light brushing.

I was more interested in the herbed cream sauce. I called the restaurant
and they offered to sell me their cookbook. Um, no thanks, I am not buying
a cook book.

Most of this restaurants food is middle of the road southern U.S fare even
though we are in the Carolina "Low Country". I already know how to make
she-crab soup, broccoli or squash casserole, green bean casserole, mustard
or turnip greens, etc. CFS with cream gravy. I know how to make red beans
& rice. This is pretty ordinary southern fare. It was just the shrimp and
salmon that was really good. And sorry, I'm not going to buy a $30
cookbook. It's not that important.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday had a wonderful day.
> And thank you all for your kind words after my mother's death. They are
> much appreciated.

http://www.basicinstructions.net/200...ndolences.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> With everything that has been going on this week (Mom's funeral was on
> Tuesday, had to meet with her attorney on Thursday) I was quite relieved
> when my middle-brother suggested we eat out for Thanksgiving. Oh thank
> bast, I don't have to cook!
>
> My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area chain. They
> offered their regular menu but also had a few "specials" for Thanksgiving.
> I really don't like turkey but I knew they were also offering roasted pork
> loin. Okay, I can live with that But when we got there they'd added
> another "special" to the menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.
>
> I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when they
> became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death in every
> possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It almost seemed to have
> some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy outside (but no sort of breading
> <shudder>) and fork tender and juicy inside.
>
> They also seemed to know "scampi" doesn't mean shrimp in butter/garlic
> sauce! Both the salmon and the shrimp were topped with a lovely herbed
> cream sauce, served on a bed of rice. But hey, this is the south. I also
> had to select two side dishes (and no, macaroni & cheese wasn't one of them
> LOL). I chose broccoli casserole and spinach. It never occurred to me I'd
> get a double whammy of rice since broccoli casserole, which I've made many
> times in the past, also contains rice. But no matter. I couldn't eat half
> of my dinner anyway. So I <gasp> asked for a to-go box.
>
> This place routinely places a basket of bread on the table. It includes
> delicious pumpkin bread which tastes a lot like gingerbread to me. Also
> jalapeno cornbread and huge whole wheat rolls.
>
> Anyway, it was a very good, albeit rather odd, Thanksgiving meal. I
> couldn't quite identify what herbs were in that cream sauce. I've made
> basil cream sauces in the past but this wasn't basil. And not quite strong
> enough to be tarragon. Since technically I'm from out of town I plan to
> call the restaurant just before they open for lunch today to see if I can
> get the recipe for that salmon/shrimp & sauce. All they can do is say no.
> And sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will actually give you their recipes.

Odd? I made liver and onions.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 3:29*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > With everything that has been going on this week (Mom's funeral was on
> > Tuesday, had to meet with her attorney on Thursday) I was quite relieved
> > when my middle-brother suggested we eat out for Thanksgiving. *Oh thank
> > bast, I don't have to cook!

> > My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area chain. *They
> > offered their regular menu but also had a few "specials" for Thanksgiving.
> > I really don't like turkey but I knew they were also offering roasted pork
> > loin. *Okay, I can live with that *But when we got there they'd added
> > another "special" to the menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". *I ordered that.

> > I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. *(I think when they
> > became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death in every
> > possible restaurant.) *The salmon was pan seared. *It almost seemed to have
> > some sort of glaze on it. *It was crispy outside (but no sort of breading
> > <shudder>) and fork tender and juicy inside.

> > They also seemed to know "scampi" doesn't mean shrimp in butter/garlic
> > sauce! *Both the salmon and the shrimp were topped with a lovely herbed
> > cream sauce, served on a bed of rice. *But hey, this is the south. *I also
> > had to select two side dishes (and no, macaroni & cheese wasn't one of them
> > LOL). *I chose broccoli casserole and spinach. *It never occurred to me I'd
> > get a double whammy of rice since broccoli casserole, which I've made many
> > times in the past, also contains rice. *But no matter. *I couldn't eat half
> > of my dinner anyway. *So I <gasp> asked for a to-go box.

> > This place routinely places a basket of bread on the table. *It includes
> > delicious pumpkin bread which tastes a lot like gingerbread to me. *Also
> > jalapeno cornbread and huge whole wheat rolls.

> > Anyway, it was a very good, albeit rather odd, Thanksgiving meal. *I
> > couldn't quite identify what herbs were in that cream sauce. *I've made
> > basil cream sauces in the past but this wasn't basil. *And not quite strong
> > enough to be tarragon. *Since technically I'm from out of town I plan to
> > call the restaurant just before they open for lunch today to see if I can
> > get the recipe for that salmon/shrimp & sauce. *All they can do is say no.
> > And sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will actually give you their recipes.

> Odd? *I made liver and onions. *
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
> Need a new news feed? *http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Oh Wow! There's not much in this world that I like better than
scratch ,ashed potatoes and good turkey gravy . . . except liver and
onions (cooked in bacon fat).
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julian Vrieslander" > wrote in
message
> In article
> >
> ,
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
>> The salmon sounds similar to what we make on the grill. The high
>> temperature gives it the crispy exterior, along with the glaze (in our
>> case, a 1:1 mixture of maple syrup and soy sauce).

> That would be rather salty, dear. I'm usually the one mixing this stuff
> up, and I'm probably doing 3:1 or 2:1. And sometimes with a bit of
> minced fresh ginger.

Reduced sodium soy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 8:08 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:

also seemed to know "scampi" doesn't mean shrimp in butter/garlic
> sauce!

Would you please elaborate on this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Cindy Fuller wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>
>>> With everything that has been going on this week (Mom's funeral was
>>> on Tuesday, had to meet with her attorney on Thursday) I was quite
>>> relieved when my middle-brother suggested we eat out for
>>> Thanksgiving. Oh thank bast, I don't have to cook!
>>>
>>> My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area
>>> chain. They offered their regular menu but also had a few
>>> "specials" for Thanksgiving. I really don't like turkey but I knew
>>> they were also offering roasted pork loin. Okay, I can live with
>>> that But when we got there they'd added another "special" to the
>>> menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.
>>>
>>> I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when
>>> they became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death
>>> in every possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It
>>> almost seemed to have some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy
>>> outside (but no sort of breading <shudder>) and fork tender and
>>> juicy inside.
>>>

>> The salmon sounds similar to what we make on the grill. The high
>> temperature gives it the crispy exterior, along with the glaze (in our
>> case, a 1:1 mixture of maple syrup and soy sauce).
>>
>> The original Thanksgiving feast included wild game (venison and fowl)
>> and seafood, so you weren't too far off. Having Tofurky would be
>> another story entirely.
>>
>> Cindy, wondering what her Pilgrim ancestors would have thought of
>> Tofurky...

> Tofu isn't turkey. Tofu isn't beef. Tofu isn't anything. But feel
> free to pretend it is!
>
> Maple glaze might have factored into the glaze for the salmon although
> I didn't taste anything maple. I'm in South Carolina so maybe it was
> Karo corn syrup. Just a light brushing.
>
> I was more interested in the herbed cream sauce. I called the
> restaurant and they offered to sell me their cookbook. Um, no thanks, I
> am not buying a cook book.
>
> Most of this restaurants food is middle of the road southern U.S fare
> even though we are in the Carolina "Low Country". I already know how to
> make she-crab soup, broccoli or squash casserole, green bean casserole,
> mustard or turnip greens, etc. CFS with cream gravy. I know how to
> make red beans & rice. This is pretty ordinary southern fare. It was
> just the shrimp and salmon that was really good. And sorry, I'm not
> going to buy a $30 cookbook. It's not that important.
>
> Jill

Maybe it is in the library or a local bookstore (where you could
take a peek).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 3:51*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> > In article
> > >
> > ,
> > Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> >> The salmon sounds similar to what we make on the grill. *The high
> >> temperature gives it the crispy exterior, along with the glaze (in
> >> our case, a 1:1 mixture of maple syrup and soy sauce).

> > That would be rather salty, dear. *I'm usually the one mixing this
> > stuff up, and I'm probably doing 3:1 or 2:1. *And sometimes with a
> > bit of minced fresh ginger.

> > [So says Cindy's infamous SO]

> But what's in the herb sauce? *The shrimp were grilled, certainly. *It's the
> herbed cream sauce I was actually interested in. *It wasn't a basil cream
> sauce, it wasn't tarragon in the sauce. *I can't quite place it.
>
> I called the restaurant and they said "If you want to buy our cookbook..."
> Why would I want to buy their $30 cookbook for one item I liked that was
> only on the Thanksgiving menu? *I've got enough cookbooks at home, assuming
> I ever get back there. LOL
>
> Jill

I'm betting since they didn't eat the shrimp dish you describe, they
don't know what's in it.
However, did it ever occur to you to see if the book is at the
library???
You could easily look at the book for free, and copy the recipe down
if its in there.
Or you could go back there and see if the recipe is in the book for
the dish you're looking for and peek at the ingredients.
There are ways you can obtain the recipe if you think about it.
I suspect you prefer to just whine about it here though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote:
> On Nov 28, 8:08 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> also seemed to know "scampi" doesn't mean shrimp in butter/garlic
>> sauce!

> Would you please elaborate on this.

Pretty simple, val. "shrimp scampi" is a misnomer. "Scampi" means shrimp.
Shrimp scampi translates to "shrimp shrimp" when you get literal about it.
To a lot of people it means shrimp in butter and garlic sauce because that's
what many restaurant menus call "scampi". Not that there's anything wrong
with that

In this case it was seared shrimp served with a wonderful herbed cream sauce
on top of a bed of rice It was delicious.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Cindy Fuller wrote:

>>> The salmon sounds similar to what we make on the grill. The high
>>> temperature gives it the crispy exterior, along with the glaze (in
>>> our case, a 1:1 mixture of maple syrup and soy sauce).
>>>
>>> The original Thanksgiving feast included wild game (venison and
>>> fowl) and seafood, so you weren't too far off. Having Tofurky
>>> would be another story entirely.
>>>
>>> Cindy, wondering what her Pilgrim ancestors would have thought of
>>> Tofurky...

>> Tofu isn't turkey. Tofu isn't beef. Tofu isn't anything. But feel
>> free to pretend it is!
>>
>> Maple glaze might have factored into the glaze for the salmon although I
>> didn't taste anything maple. I'm in South Carolina so
>> maybe it was Karo corn syrup. Just a light brushing.
>>
>> I was more interested in the herbed cream sauce. I called the
>> restaurant and they offered to sell me their cookbook. Um, no
>> thanks, I am not buying a cook book.
>>
>> Most of this restaurants food is middle of the road southern U.S fare
>> even though we are in the Carolina "Low Country". I already know
>> how to make she-crab soup, broccoli or squash casserole, green bean
>> casserole, mustard or turnip greens, etc. CFS with cream gravy. I
>> know how to make red beans & rice. This is pretty ordinary southern
>> fare. It was just the shrimp and salmon that was really good. And
>> sorry, I'm not going to buy a $30 cookbook. It's not that important.
>>
>> Jill

> Maybe it is in the library or a local bookstore (where you could
> take a peek).

Heh, if you can find a bookstore with this cookbook (or a library for that
matter) within 20 miles of where I am I'll eat one of Mom's 1940's felt hats
I found a treasure trove of felt hats LOL

It's a cream herb sauce... can't be that difficult. Getting decent fresh
shrimp back in Memphis, now *that* will be difficult

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> With everything that has been going on this week (Mom's funeral was on
>> Tuesday, had to meet with her attorney on Thursday) I was quite relieved
>> when my middle-brother suggested we eat out for Thanksgiving. Oh thank
>> bast, I don't have to cook!
>>
>> My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area chain.
>> They
>> offered their regular menu but also had a few "specials" for
>> Thanksgiving.
>> I really don't like turkey but I knew they were also offering roasted
>> pork
>> loin. Okay, I can live with that But when we got there they'd added
>> another "special" to the menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.
>>
>> I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when they
>> became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death in every
>> possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It almost seemed to
>> have
>> some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy outside (but no sort of breading
>> <shudder>) and fork tender and juicy inside.
>>
>> They also seemed to know "scampi" doesn't mean shrimp in butter/garlic
>> sauce! Both the salmon and the shrimp were topped with a lovely herbed
>> cream sauce, served on a bed of rice. But hey, this is the south. I
>> also
>> had to select two side dishes (and no, macaroni & cheese wasn't one of
>> them
>> LOL). I chose broccoli casserole and spinach. It never occurred to me
>> I'd
>> get a double whammy of rice since broccoli casserole, which I've made
>> many
>> times in the past, also contains rice. But no matter. I couldn't eat
>> half
>> of my dinner anyway. So I <gasp> asked for a to-go box.
>>
>> This place routinely places a basket of bread on the table. It includes
>> delicious pumpkin bread which tastes a lot like gingerbread to me. Also
>> jalapeno cornbread and huge whole wheat rolls.
>>
>> Anyway, it was a very good, albeit rather odd, Thanksgiving meal. I
>> couldn't quite identify what herbs were in that cream sauce. I've made
>> basil cream sauces in the past but this wasn't basil. And not quite
>> strong
>> enough to be tarragon. Since technically I'm from out of town I plan to
>> call the restaurant just before they open for lunch today to see if I can
>> get the recipe for that salmon/shrimp & sauce. All they can do is say
>> no.
>> And sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will actually give you their
>> recipes.

> Odd? I made liver and onions.

I made creamy smooth polenta, cooked with butter, garlic, stock, milk and
thyme. Cut into wedges, dredged in flour and fried.
Italian spinach cooked with olive oil, garlic parmesan and bread crumbs - so
delightful with the polenta served on top
roasted portabella mushroom caps filled with humus topped with caramelized
sweet onion and feta cheese
roast honey glazed ham (for me the only carnivore present)
home made refrigerator dinner rolls (had to do something traditional)
pumpkin pudding served with whipped cream laced with cognac

Not traditional but a huge hit.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> On Nov 28, 3:29 pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>

>> Odd? I made liver and onions.
>>
>> --
>> Blinky
>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
>> Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html
>>

> Oh Wow! There's not much in this world that I like better than
> scratch ,ashed potatoes and good turkey gravy . . . except liver and
> onions (cooked in bacon fat).
> Lynn in Fargo

Liver & onions cooked in bacon fat. Oh, baby... <sigh> Bacon fat rules!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Pretty simple, val. "shrimp scampi" is a misnomer. "Scampi" means
> shrimp. Shrimp scampi translates to "shrimp shrimp" when you get
> literal about it. To a lot of people it means shrimp in butter and
> garlic sauce because that's what many restaurant menus call "scampi".
> Not that there's anything wrong with that

Scampi has always been 'small lobster'..... like the Pommy langoustine, or
our Marron/Freshwater cray.

Shrimp=prawn.

Shrimp/prawns in butter and garlic, is Garlic Prawns/shrimp.

But on closer checking.......... we see that the US (*and* the Poms) have
*******ised the terms to suit themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scampi

Scampi is a culinary term that is alternately used for a species of lobster
or a method of preparing seafood.

The particular lobster referred to as scampi is the Norway lobster
(Nephrops norvegicus). This lobster is also known—especially in Ireland and
the United Kingdom—as the Dublin Bay Prawn. The French term is langoustine.
[1] It is the plural of Italian scampo, but that form is rarely used in
English. The name is used loosely both in Italy and elsewhere to refer to
other similar species, though some food labelling laws (in Britain, for
example) define "scampi" as Nephrops norvegicus.

The fleshy tail of the Norway lobster is closer in both taste and texture
to lobster and crayfish than prawn or shrimp.

In both the United Kingdom and USA the word has come to define the method
of preparation rather than the ingredient, although referring to quite
different methods in the two countries.

In the United Kingdom, "scampi" refers to a dish of shelled tail meat
coated in breadcrumbs or batter, deep fried, and often served with chips,
peas and Tartar sauce.[1] In the Southern Hemisphere, other species of
lobster are used instead, such as Metanephrops challengeri.

In the USA, "scampi" is often the menu name for shrimp in Italian-American
cuisine. The term "Scampi", by itself, is also the name of a dish of shrimp
served in garlic butter and dry white wine, served either with bread, or
over pasta. The word "scampi" is often construed as that style of
preparation rather than an ingredient, with that preparation being called
"shrimp scampi", and with variants such as "chicken scampi".

Scampi recipe......

http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/...30/1087284.htm

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I was having dinner with my boss and his wife and she said to me, "How

many potatoes would you like Peter?". I said "Ooh, I'll just have one

please". She said "It's OK, you don?t have to be polite" "Alright" I

said "I'll just have one then, you stupid cow".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I called the restaurant and they said "If you want to buy our cookbook..."
> Why would I want to buy their $30 cookbook for one item I liked that was
> only on the Thanksgiving menu?
>
> Jill

So you could replicate it in your own kitchen, I suppose.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - raspberry pie, 11/26/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> I called the restaurant and they said "If you want to buy our
>> cookbook..." Why would I want to buy their $30 cookbook for one item
>> I liked that was only on the Thanksgiving menu?
>>
>> Jill

> So you could replicate it in your own kitchen, I suppose.

Heh, Barbara, I can figure it out but it's not on their regular menu. The
cream sauce. I'll get it right eventually. The glaze was probably not
maple since that's not common down here. Corn syrup, maybe. It's the sauce
that will test me. And once I get back home the shrimp won't be fresh. But
not to worry, I'll figure it out, test and post it. Meanwhile I had a
different Thanksgiving meal.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter-Lucas wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>

>> Pretty simple, val. "shrimp scampi" is a misnomer. "Scampi" means
>> shrimp. Shrimp scampi translates to "shrimp shrimp" when you get
>> literal about it. To a lot of people it means shrimp in butter and
>> garlic sauce because that's what many restaurant menus call "scampi".
>> Not that there's anything wrong with that
>>

> Scampi has always been 'small lobster'..... like the Pommy
> langoustine, or our Marron/Freshwater cray.
>
> Shrimp=prawn.
>
> Shrimp/prawns in butter and garlic, is Garlic Prawns/shrimp.
>

> In the USA, "scampi" is often the menu name for shrimp in
> Italian-American cuisine. The term "Scampi", by itself, is also the
> name of a dish of shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine,

Gee, thanks Peter. Didn't I just say that?!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:6pbfl1F755rvU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Peter-Lucas wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> Pretty simple, val. "shrimp scampi" is a misnomer. "Scampi" means
>>> shrimp. Shrimp scampi translates to "shrimp shrimp" when you get
>>> literal about it. To a lot of people it means shrimp in butter and
>>> garlic sauce because that's what many restaurant menus call

"scampi".
>>> Not that there's anything wrong with that
>>>

>> Scampi has always been 'small lobster'..... like the Pommy
>> langoustine, or our Marron/Freshwater cray.
>>
>> Shrimp=prawn.
>>
>> Shrimp/prawns in butter and garlic, is Garlic Prawns/shrimp.
>>

>> In the USA, "scampi" is often the menu name for shrimp in
>> Italian-American cuisine. The term "Scampi", by itself, is also the
>> name of a dish of shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine,
>>

> Gee, thanks Peter. Didn't I just say that?!

It was one part of a large text taken from Wiki. You also left off the
part where it says you and your Pommy mates have *******ised the words
to suit yourselves.

You said Scampi means Shrimp. It doesn't.

Scampi (to the rest of the world) means small lobster.

Shrimp = Prawns.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I was having dinner with my boss and his wife and she said to me, "How

many potatoes would you like Peter?". I said "Ooh, I'll just have one

please". She said "It's OK, you don't have to be polite" "Alright" I

said "I'll just have one then, you stupid cow".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

snippage...

> The original Thanksgiving feast included wild game (venison and fowl)
> and seafood, so you weren't too far off. Having Tofurky would be
> another story entirely.
>
> Cindy, wondering what her Pilgrim ancestors would have thought of
> Tofurky...

Probably the same thoughts as most humans have - What the f' is that
crap?!

Tofu is good when prepared properly, but tofurky most certainly does not
constitute "properly".

Tofu is also about as far from a "natural" food as you can get if you
look at how it is produced.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter-Lucas" > wrote in message
.25...
> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:6pbfl1F755rvU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Peter-Lucas wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>>> :

> "scampi".
>>>>

>>> Scampi has always been 'small lobster'..... like the Pommy
>>> langoustine, or our Marron/Freshwater cray.
>>>
>>> Shrimp=prawn.
>>>
>>> Shrimp/prawns in butter and garlic, is Garlic Prawns/shrimp.
>>>

>>> In the USA, "scampi" is often the menu name for shrimp in
>>> Italian-American cuisine. The term "Scampi", by itself, is also the
>>> name of a dish of shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine,
>>>

>> Gee, thanks Peter. Didn't I just say that?!
>>

> It was one part of a large text taken from Wiki. You also left off the
> part where it says you and your Pommy mates have *******ised the words
> to suit yourselves.
>
> You said Scampi means Shrimp. It doesn't.
>
> Scampi (to the rest of the world) means small lobster.
>
> Shrimp = Prawns.

Indeed in eating circles in these parts "scasmpi" means a butter and garlic
sauce. Jill obviously never ate scampi or she'd know the "secret"
ingredient is parsely. Some people cook, others read books.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter-Lucas wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:6pbfl1F755rvU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Peter-Lucas wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Scampi has always been 'small lobster'..... like the Pommy
>>> langoustine, or our Marron/Freshwater cray.

No, langostine or langostinos are not scampi.

>>> Shrimp=prawn.
>>>
>>> In the USA, "scampi" is often the menu name for shrimp in
>>> Italian-American cuisine. The term "Scampi", by itself, is also the
>>> name of a dish of shrimp served in garlic butter and dry white wine,
>>>

>> Gee, thanks Peter. Didn't I just say that?!
>>

> It was one part of a large text taken from Wiki. You also left off the
> part where it says you and your Pommy mates have *******ised the words
> to suit yourselves.
>
> You said Scampi means Shrimp. It doesn't.
>
> Scampi (to the rest of the world) means small lobster.
>
> Shrimp = Prawns.

I said nothing about Wikipedia. Scampi means shrimp in Italian. In YOUR
part of the world shrimp are prawns. Hello, get a grip on the global
language thing. Prawns are shrimp. Scampi doesn't mean shrimp in garlic
butter sauce nor does it mean langostinos.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> [...]
>>> call the restaurant just before they open for lunch today to see if I can
>>> get the recipe for that salmon/shrimp & sauce. All they can do is say
>>> no.
>>> And sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will actually give you their
>>> recipes.

>> Odd? I made liver and onions.

> I made creamy smooth polenta, cooked with butter, garlic, stock, milk and
> thyme. Cut into wedges, dredged in flour and fried.
> Italian spinach cooked with olive oil, garlic parmesan and bread crumbs - so
> delightful with the polenta served on top
> roasted portabella mushroom caps filled with humus topped with caramelized
> sweet onion and feta cheese
> roast honey glazed ham (for me the only carnivore present)
> home made refrigerator dinner rolls (had to do something traditional)
> pumpkin pudding served with whipped cream laced with cognac

I had traditional, today (Friday), at a friend's home. Mmmmmm.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 3:29 pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>>

>>> Odd? I made liver and onions.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Blinky
>>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
>>> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
>>> Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html
>>>

>> Oh Wow! There's not much in this world that I like better than
>> scratch ,ashed potatoes and good turkey gravy . . . except liver and
>> onions (cooked in bacon fat).
>> Lynn in Fargo

> Liver & onions cooked in bacon fat. Oh, baby... <sigh> Bacon fat rules!

You *******s! You let me forget the bacon fat!

(Actually, I may not have had enough. I'm very low on it.)

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Peter-Lucas wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in news:6pbfl1F755rvU1
>> @mid.individual.net:

> No, langostine or langostinos are not scampi.

I said *LIKE*.

Very similar, in other words.

Here's Scampi.

http://wandererseye.com/pictures/main.php?g2_itemId=369

http://www.fotosearch.com/FDC103/923578/

Notice the long pincers??

Here's *langostine*

http://www.debbymason.com/Images/LangoustineLrg.jpg

http://www.fotosearch.com/UNE004/u19222186/

Notice the similar body shape and pincers to Scampi??

>>> Gee, thanks Peter. Didn't I just say that?!
>>>

>> It was one part of a large text taken from Wiki. You also left off
>> the part where it says you and your Pommy mates have *******ised the
>> words to suit yourselves.
>>
>> You said Scampi means Shrimp. It doesn't.
>>
>> Scampi (to the rest of the world) means small lobster.
>>
>> Shrimp = Prawns.

> I said nothing about Wikipedia.

Jeeeeezus!!! Did you drink too much on TD???

> Scampi means shrimp in Italian. In
> YOUR part of the world shrimp are prawns. Hello, get a grip on the
> global language thing.

Take your own frikken advice, and stop thinking just because you call
something by onw name, everyone in the frikken world has to do the same.

> Prawns are shrimp. Scampi doesn't mean shrimp
> in garlic butter sauce nor does it mean langostinos.

You said "Scampi means shrimp" ie, scampi means prawns. They are no such
thing.

They are *LIKE* langostine, and to a certain extent, our
Marron/Yabbies/Freshwater crays.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I was having dinner with my boss and his wife and she said to me, "How

many potatoes would you like Peter?". I said "Ooh, I'll just have one

please". She said "It's OK, you don't have to be polite" "Alright" I

said "I'll just have one then, you stupid cow".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter-Lucas wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> Here's Scampi.
>
> http://wandererseye.com/pictures/main.php?g2_itemId=369
>
> http://www.fotosearch.com/FDC103/923578/
>

> Notice the long pincers??
>

> Here's *langostine*
>
> http://www.debbymason.com/Images/LangoustineLrg.jpg
>
> http://www.fotosearch.com/UNE004/u19222186/
>

> Notice the similar body shape and pincers to Scampi??

Peter, I've worked in several restaurants, one of which (sadly) was "Red
Lobster" (a US chain specializing in "seafood"). Trust me, I know the
difference between shrimp and langostine. Val wasn't asking about that, she
was asking why "scampi" isn't shrimp in butter/garlic sauce. But thank you
for the education in seafood for the population in general

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area
>> chain. They offered their regular menu but also had a few
>> "specials" for Thanksgiving. I really don't like turkey but I knew
>> they were also offering roasted pork loin. Okay, I can live with
>> that But when we got there they'd added another "special" to the
>> menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.
>>
>> I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when
>> they became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death
>> in every possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It
>> almost seemed to have some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy
>> outside (but no sort of breading <shudder>) and fork tender and
>> juicy inside.
>>

> Odd? I made liver and onions.

My mother *loved* properly prepared calves liver and onions. There was a
restaurant in Bartlett, TN (no longer there, this was nearly 25 years ago)
where she and I would go to lunch and she'd always order the calves liver
and onions. They knew just how to cook them. Sometimes I looked at the
calves liver at the grocery store but I just knew I'd screw it up trying to
cook it for her. So I never bought any. Hope you enjoyed it, Blinky!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> My brothers and I went to Barbara Jeans, which is a local area
>>> chain. They offered their regular menu but also had a few
>>> "specials" for Thanksgiving. I really don't like turkey but I knew
>>> they were also offering roasted pork loin. Okay, I can live with
>>> that But when we got there they'd added another "special" to the
>>> menu: salmon & shrimp "scampi". I ordered that.
>>>
>>> I'm not normally a big fan of salmon fillets, either. (I think when
>>> they became really popular some 15 years ago they were done to death
>>> in every possible restaurant.) The salmon was pan seared. It
>>> almost seemed to have some sort of glaze on it. It was crispy
>>> outside (but no sort of breading <shudder>) and fork tender and
>>> juicy inside.
>>>

>> Odd? I made liver and onions.

> My mother *loved* properly prepared calves liver and onions. There was a
> restaurant in Bartlett, TN (no longer there, this was nearly 25 years ago)
> where she and I would go to lunch and she'd always order the calves liver
> and onions. They knew just how to cook them. Sometimes I looked at the
> calves liver at the grocery store but I just knew I'd screw it up trying to
> cook it for her. So I never bought any. Hope you enjoyed it, Blinky!

Oh, yes I did.

Today I had traditional TG dinner at a friend's house.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Jean B. wrote:

>> Maybe it is in the library or a local bookstore (where you could
>> take a peek).

> Heh, if you can find a bookstore with this cookbook (or a library for that
> matter) within 20 miles of where I am I'll eat one of Mom's 1940's felt
> hats I found a treasure trove of felt hats LOL
>
> It's a cream herb sauce... can't be that difficult. Getting decent fresh
> shrimp back in Memphis, now *that* will be difficult

It's gotta be easier than here in Floriduh.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Heh, if you can find a bookstore with this cookbook (or a library for that
> matter) within 20 miles of where I am I'll eat one of Mom's 1940's felt hats
> I found a treasure trove of felt hats LOL

Be careful if you go to sell those. They are collectors items and some
can be worth a LOT if they are in good shape.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Sorry to piggy back on your post Julian but this is a prime example of
> why I have google groupers and gmail users blocked. They're mostly
> idiots. If I wanted to buy a cookbook I'd just go to the restaurant and
> plunk down $50 for the book. This isn't something that is on their
> regular menu. I did say it was a "special" they suddenly offered on
> Thanksgiving, didn't I? RIF.
>
> Jill

I'm wondering if the restaurant would have suggested you buy the
cookbook if it wasn't in there? Did you ask "is the recipe in there?" or
not? Perhaps it is something they do make on special days, not just this
one day you went there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Sorry to piggy back on your post Julian but this is a prime example of
> > why I have google groupers and gmail users blocked. They're mostly
> > idiots. If I wanted to buy a cookbook I'd just go to the restaurant and
> > plunk down $50 for the book. This isn't something that is on their
> > regular menu. I did say it was a "special" they suddenly offered on
> > Thanksgiving, didn't I? RIF.
> >
> > Jill

> I'm wondering if the restaurant would have suggested you buy the
> cookbook if it wasn't in there? Did you ask "is the recipe in there?" or
> not? Perhaps it is something they do make on special days, not just this
> one day you went there.

I was curious to see if it was searchable on Amazon, which is
sometimes helpful for locating specific recipes, and it's not. The
copies they have all appear to be from re-sellers.

While looking at Amazon, I saw a (blistering) customer review of the
first cookbook (another came out last year), saying that the cookbook
is mostly narrative rather than recipes. Whether the second one is
different or not, I don't know, but both the one reviewer and someone
who commented on the review were rather unhappy about the absence of
recipes in the first book. I don't know which book they were telling
Jill to buy.

pat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Heh, if you can find a bookstore with this cookbook (or a library
>> for that matter) within 20 miles of where I am I'll eat one of Mom's
>> 1940's felt hats I found a treasure trove of felt hats LOL

> Be careful if you go to sell those. They are collectors items and some
> can be worth a LOT if they are in good shape.

I don't plan to sell them. Mom had exquisite taste when it came to hats. I
plan to wear them

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Sorry to piggy back on your post Julian but this is a prime example
>> of why I have google groupers and gmail users blocked. They're
>> mostly idiots. If I wanted to buy a cookbook I'd just go to the
>> restaurant and plunk down $50 for the book. This isn't something
>> that is on their regular menu. I did say it was a "special" they
>> suddenly offered on Thanksgiving, didn't I? RIF.
>>
>> Jill

> I'm wondering if the restaurant would have suggested you buy the
> cookbook if it wasn't in there? Did you ask "is the recipe in there?"
> or not? Perhaps it is something they do make on special days, not
> just this one day you went there.

All I know is we had lunch there the day of Mom's funeral, decided when we
found out they'd be open on Thanksgiving not to cook but to come back and
eat. At that time (Tuesday) the server told us they would be serving turkey
with gravy and sides or roasted pork loin with sides. We got there and
suddenly there was this other "special" available. (It was delicious, BTW.)
I called and asked about it and they said I'd have to buy the cookbook. I
looked at the cookbook while I was there but I wasn't going to pay $50 for a
cookbook I'd have to haul back to Memphis along with everything else.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. It was a last minute "special" even the servers
didn't know about two days prior.

I'm just looking for the cream sauce recipe. I can figure it out with a
little fuss and bother. I've made basil cream sauce, I've made tarragon
cream sauce. This was, perhaps, thyme. Definitely not rosemary.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>
>>> Heh, if you can find a bookstore with this cookbook (or a library
>>> for that matter) within 20 miles of where I am I'll eat one of Mom's
>>> 1940's felt hats I found a treasure trove of felt hats LOL

>> Be careful if you go to sell those. They are collectors items and
>> some can be worth a LOT if they are in good shape.

> I don't plan to sell them. Mom had exquisite taste when it came to
> hats. I plan to wear them
>
> Jill

After dry-cleaning to get the cigarette stench out? Or are you a smoker
like your parents?

Not being bitchy at all....... just interested to know.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I was having dinner with my boss and his wife and she said to me, "How

many potatoes would you like Peter?". I said "Ooh, I'll just have one

please". She said "It's OK, you don't have to be polite" "Alright" I

said "I'll just have one then, you stupid cow".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> But what's in the herb sauce? The shrimp were grilled, certainly. It's
> the herbed cream sauce I was actually interested in. It wasn't a basil
> cream sauce, it wasn't tarragon in the sauce. I can't quite place it.
>
> I called the restaurant and they said "If you want to buy our cookbook..."
> Why would I want to buy their $30 cookbook for one item I liked that was
> only on the Thanksgiving menu? I've got enough cookbooks at home,
> assuming I ever get back there. LOL

Since the shrimp dish wasn't on their regular menu, it's extremely unlikely
that it would be in their cookbook anyway. The person to whom you spoke was
simply being a shithead because he or she had no idea what was in the sauce.

Bob

Thanksgiving meal. Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 34 18-11-2012 04:13 AM
Thanksgiving meal piedmont Barbecue 8 01-12-2009 07:31 PM
Our Thanksgiving meal :) Arri London General Cooking 24 29-11-2008 05:33 AM
Integrate a Few New Superfoods into Thanksgiving Meal Planning? DGJ General Cooking 11 12-11-2007 11:05 PM
Thanksgiving meal mostly original Amerindian stuff Wayne Lundberg Mexican Cooking 25 29-11-2006 06:38 AM