Posted to rec.food.cooking
DGJ DGJ is offline

Default Integrate a Few New Superfoods into Thanksgiving Meal Planning?

Are you tired of spinach, bored with broccoli? If so, read further for
some tips for Thanksgiving from the Baylor Health System. These
experts say there's a new generation of superfoods that promise to do
double or triple-duty when it comes to preventing illness. Now is the
time to think about how you can integrate some of these new superfoods
into your Thanksgiving meal planning.

At the top of the list is Kiwi fruit, a wonderful addition to a fruit
salad. "In a recent study, kiwi was found to be one of the most
nutritionally dense fruits out of 27 fruits," says Stephanie Dean,
R.D., dietitian with Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas,
Texas.

Kiwis are full of antioxidants, vitamin E and lutein. They ward off
vision problems, blood clots, and even lower cholesterol-almost as
effectively as the second new superfood on the list, barley.

"The USDA found that barley specifically could lower your LDL or 'bad'
cholesterol by 17.4 percent which is a phenomenal percentage," adds
Dean. Barley, a type of wheat, can be added to soups or even eaten
instead of oatmeal for breakfast.

Next on the list is a traditional Thanksgiving favorite, cranberries,
which continue to receive lots of attention in the medical press for
their health benefits.

"The crimson color of cranberries signal that they are full of
flavonoids," explains Dean. Flavonoids are high in antioxidants and
they help prevent everything from infections to strokes and cancer.

Next, the Baylor doctors recommend a different type of drink for
Thanksgiving day, Kefir.

"Kefir is a wonderful source of calcium. Every eight ounce glass has
about 300 milligrams which is a little less than one-third of the
recommended daily intake for adults," says Dean. Kefir not only
contains just as much calcium as milk, but also a huge serving of
beneficial probiotic bacteria. More so than yogurt!

Lastly, the final superfood recommendation is a cousin to an old
healthy food we've all eaten at Thanksgiving. This time, make it
broccoli sprouts.

"Broccoli sprouts have been shown to actually contain 20 percent more
anti-cancer agents than regular broccoli," says Dean. These sprouts
are sold by the package and can be thrown on top of salads or can be a
great addition to leftover Turkey sandwiches after the holiday.

Dave

Full text article above extracted from http://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
DGJ DGJ is offline

On Nov 12, 9:11 am, DGJ > wrote:
> Are you tired of spinach, bored with broccoli? If so, read further for
> some tips for Thanksgiving from the Baylor Health System. These
> experts say there's a new generation of superfoods that promise to do
> double or triple-duty when it comes to preventing illness. Now is the
> time to think about how you can integrate some of these new superfoods
> into your Thanksgiving meal planning.
>
> At the top of the list is Kiwi fruit, a wonderful addition to a fruit
> salad. "In a recent study, kiwi was found to be one of the most
> nutritionally dense fruits out of 27 fruits," says Stephanie Dean,
> R.D., dietitian with Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas,
> Texas.
>
> Kiwis are full of antioxidants, vitamin E and lutein. They ward off
> vision problems, blood clots, and even lower cholesterol-almost as
> effectively as the second new superfood on the list, barley.
>
> "The USDA found that barley specifically could lower your LDL or 'bad'
> cholesterol by 17.4 percent which is a phenomenal percentage," adds
> Dean. Barley, a type of wheat, can be added to soups or even eaten
> instead of oatmeal for breakfast.
>
> Next on the list is a traditional Thanksgiving favorite, cranberries,
> which continue to receive lots of attention in the medical press for
> their health benefits.
>
> "The crimson color of cranberries signal that they are full of
> flavonoids," explains Dean. Flavonoids are high in antioxidants and
> they help prevent everything from infections to strokes and cancer.
>
> Next, the Baylor doctors recommend a different type of drink for
> Thanksgiving day, Kefir.
>
> "Kefir is a wonderful source of calcium. Every eight ounce glass has
> about 300 milligrams which is a little less than one-third of the
> recommended daily intake for adults," says Dean. Kefir not only
> contains just as much calcium as milk, but also a huge serving of
> beneficial probiotic bacteria. More so than yogurt!
>
> Lastly, the final superfood recommendation is a cousin to an old
> healthy food we've all eaten at Thanksgiving. This time, make it
> broccoli sprouts.
>
> "Broccoli sprouts have been shown to actually contain 20 percent more
> anti-cancer agents than regular broccoli," says Dean. These sprouts
> are sold by the package and can be thrown on top of salads or can be a
> great addition to leftover Turkey sandwiches after the holiday.
>
> Dave
>
> Full text article above extracted fromhttp://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

My wife pointed out when reading this that Barley is a "cereal grain
similar to wheat" but not technically a "type of wheat" as I wrote
here.

Anyway, she made a barley/mushroom soup last night that was to die
for!

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DGJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...

Cod-liver oil! Now that's a 'real' superfood. Though the past week, I've
been enjoying it every day.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 10:25 am, DGJ > wrote:
> On Nov 12, 9:11 am, DGJ > wrote:
>

> > Are you tired of spinach, bored with broccoli? If so, read further for
> > some tips for Thanksgiving from the Baylor Health System. These
> > experts say there's a new generation of superfoods that promise to do
> > double or triple-duty when it comes to preventing illness. Now is the
> > time to think about how you can integrate some of these new superfoods
> > into your Thanksgiving meal planning.

> > At the top of the list is Kiwi fruit, a wonderful addition to a fruit
> > salad. "In a recent study, kiwi was found to be one of the most
> > nutritionally dense fruits out of 27 fruits," says Stephanie Dean,
> > R.D., dietitian with Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas,
> > Texas.

> > Kiwis are full of antioxidants, vitamin E and lutein. They ward off
> > vision problems, blood clots, and even lower cholesterol-almost as
> > effectively as the second new superfood on the list, barley.

> > "The USDA found that barley specifically could lower your LDL or 'bad'
> > cholesterol by 17.4 percent which is a phenomenal percentage," adds
> > Dean. Barley, a type of wheat, can be added to soups or even eaten
> > instead of oatmeal for breakfast.

> > Next on the list is a traditional Thanksgiving favorite, cranberries,
> > which continue to receive lots of attention in the medical press for
> > their health benefits.

> > "The crimson color of cranberries signal that they are full of
> > flavonoids," explains Dean. Flavonoids are high in antioxidants and
> > they help prevent everything from infections to strokes and cancer.

> > Next, the Baylor doctors recommend a different type of drink for
> > Thanksgiving day, Kefir.

> > "Kefir is a wonderful source of calcium. Every eight ounce glass has
> > about 300 milligrams which is a little less than one-third of the
> > recommended daily intake for adults," says Dean. Kefir not only
> > contains just as much calcium as milk, but also a huge serving of
> > beneficial probiotic bacteria. More so than yogurt!

> > Lastly, the final superfood recommendation is a cousin to an old
> > healthy food we've all eaten at Thanksgiving. This time, make it
> > broccoli sprouts.

> > "Broccoli sprouts have been shown to actually contain 20 percent more
> > anti-cancer agents than regular broccoli," says Dean. These sprouts
> > are sold by the package and can be thrown on top of salads or can be a
> > great addition to leftover Turkey sandwiches after the holiday.

> > Dave

> > Full text article above extracted fromhttp://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

> My wife pointed out when reading this that Barley is a "cereal grain
> similar to wheat" but not technically a "type of wheat" as I wrote
> here.
>
> Anyway, she made a barley/mushroom soup last night that was to die
> for!
>
> Dave

Are there barley cereals out there (ready to eat)? I love barley in
beef vegetable soup.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 10:27 am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "DGJ" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> Cod-liver oil! Now that's a 'real' superfood. Though the past week, I've
> been enjoying it every day.
>
> Dee Dee

We had that daily when I was a youngster - I don't recall that it was
really a terrible-tasting thing, just odd. I can recall the taste now
pretty well. I think I'll just get some fish oil capsules. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Nov 12, 10:27 am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>> "DGJ" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> Cod-liver oil! Now that's a 'real' superfood. Though the past week,
>> I've
>> been enjoying it every day.
>>
>> Dee Dee

> We had that daily when I was a youngster - I don't recall that it was
> really a terrible-tasting thing, just odd. I can recall the taste now
> pretty well. I think I'll just get some fish oil capsules. ;-)
>
> N.

It comes up on me -- however, they do add (in the brand I'm taking) a
lemon-lime flavor which doesn't make it toooo bad the second time up --
:-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
DGJ DGJ is offline

On Nov 12, 9:34 am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> [...]

> > > healthy food we've all eaten at Thanksgiving. This time, make it
> > > broccoli sprouts.

> > > "Broccoli sprouts have been shown to actually contain 20 percent more
> > > anti-cancer agents than regular broccoli," says Dean. These sprouts
> > > are sold by the package and can be thrown on top of salads or can be a
> > > great addition to leftover Turkey sandwiches after the holiday.

> > > Dave

> > > Full text article above extracted fromhttp://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

> > My wife pointed out when reading this that Barley is a "cereal grain
> > similar to wheat" but not technically a "type of wheat" as I wrote
> > here.

> > Anyway, she made a barley/mushroom soup last night that was to die
> > for!

> > Dave

> Are there barley cereals out there (ready to eat)? I love barley in

Nancy,

I tried a breakfast cereal called "Banana Nut Barley," which I think
came from Whole Foods. It was pretty awful. But, that's purely a
personal taste comment. My wife seemed to enjoy it.

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking
DGJ DGJ is offline

On Nov 12, 9:27 am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "DGJ" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> Cod-liver oil! Now that's a 'real' superfood. Though the past week, I've
> been enjoying it every day.
>
> Dee Dee

You're right - Omega 3 fish oils are fantastic, and that Cod Liver Oil
is the king of that product category. But, you can't do much cooking
with Cod Liver Oil, eh? Imagine frying up some hash browns in the
morning in a pan with some Cod Liver Oil . . .

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DGJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Nov 12, 9:27 am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>> "DGJ" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> Cod-liver oil! Now that's a 'real' superfood. Though the past week,
>> I've
>> been enjoying it every day.
>>
>> Dee Dee

> You're right - Omega 3 fish oils are fantastic, and that Cod Liver Oil
> is the king of that product category. But, you can't do much cooking
> with Cod Liver Oil, eh? Imagine frying up some hash browns in the
> morning in a pan with some Cod Liver Oil . . .
>
> Dave

No, I wouldn't cook with it -- I would just use it as a dessert or a
condiment. ;-)))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 11:22 am, DGJ > wrote:
> On Nov 12, 9:34 am, Nancy2 > wrote:

> > > My wife pointed out when reading this that Barley is a "cereal grain
> > > similar to wheat" but not technically a "type of wheat" as I wrote
> > > here.

> > > Anyway, she made a barley/mushroom soup last night that was to die
> > > for!

> > > Dave

> > Are there barley cereals out there (ready to eat)? I love barley in
> > beef vegetable soup.

> > N.

> Nancy,
>
> I tried a breakfast cereal called "Banana Nut Barley," which I think
> came from Whole Foods. It was pretty awful. But, that's purely a
> personal taste comment. My wife seemed to enjoy it.
>
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

Sounds awful - I can't eat nuts, so that's out.

N.

The smartest meal planning app R Newell General Cooking 48 29-10-2014 12:32 AM
Meal Planning Nad R General Cooking 180 21-03-2011 09:43 AM
Ping: Nad - meal planning sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 08-03-2011 05:19 PM
Meal Planning sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 07-03-2011 12:59 AM
Meal planning: how? FERRANTE General Cooking 30 24-02-2005 03:57 AM