Old 27-09-2012, 08:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Anyone plan on trying new foods/recipes?

Seeing as how I have a cupboard full of beans and also some bacon tucked
away, I will be making a new to me recipe next week. It was posted recently
on the food newsgroup. I have all of the ingredients except for needing
fresh garlic, more onions, jalapenos, tomatoes and cilantro.

That will probably be the bulk of my meals for next week. We are going to
go to Winco this week so hopefully I will be able to get some fresh produce.
We did not go this week because I really only needed a few things that I
couldn't get at Target or Costco and I didn't want to drive all the way out
there. Plus our day was not normal because I went to a friend's party and
left there later than I intended to. Another friend wound up going to
dinner with us and by the time I took her home, it was much later than we
would normally do our shopping. But... When I went to Albertsons I just
refused to pay their prices. $1.99 for a small red pepper when they were 69
cents at Winco for a really large one? Nope.

Target has chicken on sale so I will be buying some of that for Angela.
Anyone know of a Mexican type recipe for preparing boneless, skinless
chicken breasts? Mostly I have failed in making chicken that she likes to
eat. I did get some Teriyaki marinade that doesn't quite conform to the
South Beach diet but... I have been using just enough to dampen the meat
and give it some flavor. She did like that until I made the last batch and
burned it. But that wouldn't go so well with the Mexican beans.

Old 27-09-2012, 07:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Does she like chicken quesadillas?

Old 27-09-2012, 08:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'd like to try green salsa aka salsa verde on tacos sometime.

Old 27-09-2012, 08:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Target has chicken on sale so I will be buying some of that for Angela.
Anyone know of a Mexican type recipe for preparing boneless, skinless
chicken breasts?

Maybe something here would work.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/meat-a...n/ViewAll.aspx

Old 27-09-2012, 10:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:46:49 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Target has chicken on sale so I will be buying some of that for Angela.
Anyone know of a Mexican type recipe for preparing boneless, skinless
chicken breasts?

Maybe something here would work.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/meat-a...n/ViewAll.aspx

Thank you. I just went and had a look. I found a chicken enchilada
casserole that I'm going to cook for dinner tonight.

Old 27-09-2012, 11:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

No. Hates them actually.

Old 27-09-2012, 11:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" wrote in message
I'd like to try green salsa aka salsa verde on tacos sometime.

It's good.

Old 27-09-2012, 11:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Target has chicken on sale so I will be buying some of that for Angela.
Anyone know of a Mexican type recipe for preparing boneless, skinless
chicken breasts?

Maybe something here would work.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/meat-a...n/ViewAll.aspx

I don't think so. Those appear to be recipes that *use* chicken. Like
enchiladas. Seeing as how she is only allowed one serving of carb with her
meal, those wouldn't work. I just need a way to cook the chicken. Not put
it *in* something.

Old 28-09-2012, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: Target has chicken on sale so I will be buying some of that for Angela.
: Anyone know of a Mexican type recipe for preparing boneless, skinless
: chicken breasts?
:
: Maybe something here would work.
:
: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/meat-a...n/ViewAll.aspx

: I don't think so. Those appear to be recipes that *use* chicken. Like
: enchiladas. Seeing as how she is only allowed one serving of carb with her
: meal, those wouldn't work. I just need a way to cook the chicken. Not put
: it *in* something.
There are all kinds of low carb tortillas available that could be used in
this kind of recipe. I get some that are small and 3 carbs per tortilla,
and others that arae large(like a wrap) with about 6 net carbs. I use
these for all kinds of things.

Wendy

Old 28-09-2012, 02:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

She does *not* eat low carb. She is on the South Beach diet. She can not
eat low carb tortillas and neither can I because of the ingredients. If I
wanted a recipe for something that involved tortillas I would have asked for
that. I did not. I foolishly assumed that somebody might actually have a
recipe for boneless skinless chicken breast with a Mexican seasoning. But
no. All I get are other recipes that are not for that.

Old 28-09-2012, 02:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Burrito style. Cube the chicken and fry it in a bit of oil then add the
seasonings.

Old 28-09-2012, 03:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I might try that next. I have a recipe for baking in the oven. Of course I
would find something that wouldn't involve the three new pans I have been
itching to use.

When you cube it, how long does it cook for? My big mistake is always in
cooking it for too long. My mom always cooked her meat to death which is
probably one reason why I dislike meat so much today. I tend to do the same
after once serving my husband some chicken that caused him to shriek that it
was raw in the middle. It wasn't. It was just slightly pink. Oh and his
mom cooked meat to death too.

Old 28-09-2012, 03:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

Burrito style. Cube the chicken and fry it in a bit of oil then add
the seasonings.

I might try that next. I have a recipe for baking in the oven. Of
course I would find something that wouldn't involve the three new pans
I have been itching to use.

When you cube it, how long does it cook for? My big mistake is always
in cooking it for too long. My mom always cooked her meat to death
which is probably one reason why I dislike meat so much today. I tend
to do the same after once serving my husband some chicken that caused
him to shriek that it was raw in the middle. It wasn't. It was just
slightly pink. Oh and his mom cooked meat to death too.

Couple of minutes. I cut a piece open to see if it is cooked.

Old 28-09-2012, 03:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

Burrito style. Cube the chicken and fry it in a bit of oil then add the
seasonings.

I might try that next. I have a recipe for baking in the oven. Of
course I would find something that wouldn't involve the three new pans I
have been itching to use.

When you cube it, how long does it cook for? My big mistake is always in
cooking it for too long. My mom always cooked her meat to death which is
probably one reason why I dislike meat so much today. I tend to do the
same after once serving my husband some chicken that caused him to shriek
that it was raw in the middle. It wasn't. It was just slightly pink. Oh
and his mom cooked meat to death too.

Couple of minutes. I cut a piece open to see if it is cooked.

OMG! I was cooking it for like 20 minutes. I did cut back on that slightly
after someone (was it here?) said that was too long. My mom still thinks 20
minutes isn't enough.

You probably never saw the commercial for it there but there used to be a
Shake and Bake commercial for pork chops. Started out with a guy saying
something like... Fried pork chops can be dry! Baked pork chops can be
dry! And then they would tell you to use the Shake and Bake because those
chops were not dry. Well let me tell ya. At our house they were dry!

The first time I had pork chops that were not dry were at my MIL's house. I
had to go cook for her for about a week after my FIL: died. She did have
cookbooks in the house but I wasn't sure how many or which ones she kept
after they moved. So I wrote a few down that looked easy. One was for pork
chops. It was soooo easy. Just salt and pepper on them. Lightly oiled
pan. Cook 10 minutes on each side. I remember serving them with applesauce
but can't remember what all else. Everyone kept commenting on how good the
were.

Old 28-09-2012, 03:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:20:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

Once again, people go out of their way to offer suggestions and all
Julie does is bitch.

Ross