Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you overeat at buffets?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : >
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >> "KROM" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> subway is the last fast food place I've eaten at..I got a 6 inch sub
> and
> : >>> scooped the inside of the bread out and it was a cheese bread so I
> : >>> figured the fat and protein might help..lol
> : >>>
> : >>> it was good but with subway WAYYYY more then Chinese I'm hungry
> again
> : >>> right away..those subs are like air to me.
> : >>
> : >> I have only had a Subway sandwich a few times but it didn't even come
> : >> close to filling me up.
> : >>
> : >> I don't like making sandwiches. But when I make one, I put a LOT of
> : >> filling in it. Half of one of my sandwiches is quite filling to me.
> : >
> : > In Australia they tend to overfill sandwiches. Very messy My
> daughter
> : > has to ask for a little of everything she wants in the salad line.
> : > They look at her like she has two heads, lol.
>
> : Angela sometimes orders a chef salad and then decides that she doesn't
> : really like it. She likes the ones they sell at the grocery store
> because
> : they are somewhat small and have just a few bites of each kind of
> topping.
> : But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in them.
>
> So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do that
> all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
> week, iis fine.

Can't do that. The only places that serve them are places we go to when we
are not going home for hours.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:07:28 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>>: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>: ...
>>: >
>>: >
>>: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>: > ...
>>: >>
>>: >> "KROM" > wrote in message
>>: >> ...
>>: >>> subway is the last fast food place I've eaten at..I got a 6 inch sub
>>and
>>: >>> scooped the inside of the bread out and it was a cheese bread so I
>>: >>> figured the fat and protein might help..lol
>>: >>>
>>: >>> it was good but with subway WAYYYY more then Chinese I'm hungry
>>again
>>: >>> right away..those subs are like air to me.
>>: >>
>>: >> I have only had a Subway sandwich a few times but it didn't even come
>>: >> close to filling me up.
>>: >>
>>: >> I don't like making sandwiches. But when I make one, I put a LOT of
>>: >> filling in it. Half of one of my sandwiches is quite filling to me.
>>: >
>>: > In Australia they tend to overfill sandwiches. Very messy My
>>daughter
>>: > has to ask for a little of everything she wants in the salad line.
>>: > They look at her like she has two heads, lol.
>>
>>: Angela sometimes orders a chef salad and then decides that she doesn't
>>: really like it. She likes the ones they sell at the grocery store
>>because
>>: they are somewhat small and have just a few bites of each kind of
>>topping.
>>: But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in them.
>>
>>So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do that
>>all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
>>week, iis fine.
>>
>>Wendy

> I always take home whatever leftovers I have from a restaurant. I
> also always eat leftover salad. In fact I love it and regard it as a
> treat! The Italians make a deliberately wilted salad using hot
> dressing in some instances.

We usually don't go home for many hours when we dine out. If we are eating
with my parents then we usually go to their house so she can use their
fridge.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 22:03:51 +1000, RodS > wrote:

>>> In Australia they tend to overfill sandwiches. Very messy My daughter
>>> has to ask for a little of everything she wants in the salad line.
>>> They look at her like she has two heads, lol.

>>At Subway on the odd occasion I go there I always ask for a lot less
>>lettuce they seem to try to put a whole one on each roll :-)
>>

>> (- -)
>>=m=(_)=m=
>>RodS T2
>>Australia

> Been following this thread, and I never eat at Subway because they are
> junk. For a good fast sandwich we go to Blimpie. They make an
> awesome tuna sandwich well filled with good quality tuna. Of course
> every shop is slightly different and some may not make it as well. You
> get to choose your own bread and every topping you like. They make
> the sandwich to order just as you tell them to. I usually discard
> most of the bread, but Hubby eats his.

We used to have a Blimpie. We ate there twice. I can't say that it was any
better than Subway although they did offer several more choices of sides.
It went out of business. Nobody was ever in there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Must be different here, there are a few varieties of roll, the salads, in
> my experience, have always been fresh. I usually have just the salad
> though. Usually its lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrot, peppers, onions,
> olives, jalapenos, pickle. A choice of a dozen or so sauces and whatever
> protein I fancy.

The meat at our Subway is what's really bad. Loaded with stuff you wouldn't
want to eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 07:19:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>At Subway on the odd occasion I go there I always ask for a lot less
>>>lettuce they seem to try to put a whole one on each roll :-)
>>>

>>> (- -)
>>>=m=(_)=m=
>>>RodS T2
>>>Australia

>> Been following this thread, and I never eat at Subway because they are
>> junk. For a good fast sandwich we go to Blimpie. They make an
>> awesome tuna sandwich well filled with good quality tuna. Of course
>> every shop is slightly different and some may not make it as well. You
>> get to choose your own bread and every topping you like. They make
>> the sandwich to order just as you tell them to. I usually discard
>> most of the bread, but Hubby eats his.

>We used to have a Blimpie. We ate there twice. I can't say that it was any
>better than Subway although they did offer several more choices of sides.
>It went out of business. Nobody was ever in there.

We have at least 3 of them locally that I know of. One is in Walmart,
another in a Hess Station and the other is a separate business. They
are all doing great, and for good reason.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Here's a few videos of my baby girl at her recent Harmony Day at school:
>
> http://youtu.be/vfemQEabycU
>
> http://youtu.be/pFhvbLabbOQ
>
> http://youtu.be/Bm0844pIxlE
>
> http://youtu.be/yHdzZdLIHmg
>
> http://youtu.be/Uv_k9R753fg

Very nice pictures!

Cheri
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

awesome!..lol

speaking of doctors you should see them wash their hands between patients..

KROM

"BjørnSteensrud" wrote ...

Heh. I noticed a grandson (5 years old at the time) washing his hands after
the bathroom - he used his elbow to close the faucet. But then, both his
parents are MDs (and now PhDs).
:-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kmart is dying here..they bought out by sears to keep from totally going
under.

used to be a Kmart every miles or so..now there's maybe five left in the
entire state..so few I forget they still exist.

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote ...

They are an icon here. They separated into two branches. Originally
Woolies was a dept store style shop, but on a much smaller scale. Then
it became a supermarket and they started the Big W chain of dept stores
which are way cheaper than KMart in my opinion, better stuff too. They
have now branched out into mega hardware stores as well.

As to Subway, I rarely buy the sub, I have bought salads in a bowl from
them for years. Mainly because they have so many different items and
meats you can put into it for the same price. And so many sauces to
choose from

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

her pics always make me happy!

everybody these days tries to be a "celebrity" on camera..so every pic is
people making sour faces or duck faces..I blame social media..

its just nice to see a person happy and having fun!

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote in message ...

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : >
> : > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >>
> : >>
> : >> "KROM" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >>> my wife pointed out to me that EVERYONE touches that
> : >>> ladle/spoon/tong handle so even if they don't touch the food your
> : >>> still getting contact with everyone before you.
> : >>
> : >> Wear a glove or carry the antibacterial gels and wipes for use after
> : >> ladling. Pain in the arse but so many bugs around these days,
> : >> airborne and on public objects.
> : >
> : > The Dr. told us that the stomach bug virus is resistant to the
> : > antibacterial gels.
>
> : I've never been able to prevent the spread of tummy bugs in our house
> : but we do take precautions just in case they will work
>
> My cousin, who after her second marriage, had 6 kids in the house. she
> sain if anyone got the slightest stomach bug she puteeveryone on a light
> diet to lessen the effects if it spread.

Sounds like a plan I think I avoided one recently by buying in some
probiotics. I never miss catching a tummy bug in this family and this
time I did. Strangely, Jazz hasn't caught anything in the last two
years. Not since she had the swine flu injection. She normally gets
everything under the sun especially colds which often go to her chest.
I actually have a dilemma now because no doctor here knows here and she
has to have all kinds of medical reports done before she turns 16 next
month. That's when she leaves my family payments and gets Disability
Support Pension (not a full one until she is 21 and no difference in
amounts of money coming into the household but its something I have to
do).

Here's a few videos of my baby girl at her recent Harmony Day at school:

http://youtu.be/vfemQEabycU

http://youtu.be/pFhvbLabbOQ

http://youtu.be/Bm0844pIxlE

http://youtu.be/yHdzZdLIHmg

http://youtu.be/Uv_k9R753fg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Evelyn" > wrote in message
[...]

If you are not going home or to your mother's take an insulated bag, etc.
with you if you usually ave leftovers.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: >
: > : Angela sometimes orders a chef salad and then decides that she doesn't
: > : really like it. She likes the ones they sell at the grocery store
: > because
: > : they are somewhat small and have just a few bites of each kind of
: > topping.
: > : But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in them.
: >
: > So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do that
: > all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
: > week, iis fine.

: Can't do that. The only places that serve them are places we go to when we
: are not going home for hours.
See my previous post about taking an insulated bag.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : >
> : > : Angela sometimes orders a chef salad and then decides that she
> doesn't
> : > : really like it. She likes the ones they sell at the grocery store
> : > because
> : > : they are somewhat small and have just a few bites of each kind of
> : > topping.
> : > : But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in
> them.
> : >
> : > So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do
> that
> : > all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
> : > week, iis fine.
>
> : Can't do that. The only places that serve them are places we go to when
> we
> : are not going home for hours.
> See my previous post about taking an insulated bag.

Those keep the food cold for only two hours. Besides, she won't eat a
leftover salad. I know she won't. So I won't bother to take it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Evelyn" > wrote in message
> : >>topping.
> : >>: But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in
> them.
> : >>
> : >>So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do
> that
> : >>all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
> : >>week, iis fine.
> : >>
> : >>Wendy
> : >
> : >
> : > I always take home whatever leftovers I have from a restaurant. I
> : > also always eat leftover salad. In fact I love it and regard it as a
> : > treat! The Italians make a deliberately wilted salad using hot
> : > dressing in some instances.
>
> : We usually don't go home for many hours when we dine out. If we are
> eating
> : with my parents then we usually go to their house so she can use their
> : fridge.
>
> If you are not going home or to your mother's take an insulated bag, etc.
> with you if you usually ave leftovers.

Those only keep food cold for two hours and she wouldn't eat a leftover
salad. I know she wouldn't. She eats what she wants of it at the
restaurant.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 07:19:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Been following this thread, and I never eat at Subway because they are
>>> junk. For a good fast sandwich we go to Blimpie. They make an
>>> awesome tuna sandwich well filled with good quality tuna. Of course
>>> every shop is slightly different and some may not make it as well. You
>>> get to choose your own bread and every topping you like. They make
>>> the sandwich to order just as you tell them to. I usually discard
>>> most of the bread, but Hubby eats his.

>>We used to have a Blimpie. We ate there twice. I can't say that it was
>>any
>>better than Subway although they did offer several more choices of sides.
>>It went out of business. Nobody was ever in there.

> We have at least 3 of them locally that I know of. One is in Walmart,
> another in a Hess Station and the other is a separate business. They
> are all doing great, and for good reason.

Our Walmart has a McDonalds. The one in Lynnwood has a Subway.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> Kmart is dying here..they bought out by sears to keep from totally
> going under.
>
> used to be a Kmart every miles or so..now there's maybe five left in
> the entire state..so few I forget they still exist.

I have one within walking distance and 3 fairly short drives away (7, 10
and 10 minutes) and I am out in the 'burbs

> KROM
>

> "Ozgirl" wrote ...
>

> They are an icon here. They separated into two branches. Originally
> Woolies was a dept store style shop, but on a much smaller scale. Then
> it became a supermarket and they started the Big W chain of dept
> stores
> which are way cheaper than KMart in my opinion, better stuff too. They
> have now branched out into mega hardware stores as well.
>
> As to Subway, I rarely buy the sub, I have bought salads in a bowl
> from
> them for years. Mainly because they have so many different items and
> meats you can put into it for the same price. And so many sauces to
> choose from

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> her pics always make me happy!
>
> everybody these days tries to be a "celebrity" on camera..so every pic
> is people making sour faces or duck faces..I blame social media..
>
> its just nice to see a person happy and having fun!
>
> KROM

Miss Happiness was the opposite this morning. Had to really conjole and
bribe her every step of the way from bed to bath to brekky to bus. She
has left with her hair not done but a bright pink spray of hair colour
across the front A new every day habit that started with Crazy Hair
day at school a few weeks ago, sigh. I am covered in pink spray because
I turned the can the wrong way in my haste to get her out the door.
Every day I have to excite with her something to get her moving. Luckily
there is dancing, sailing, swimming and Scouts

> "Ozgirl" wrote in message ...
>

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>>

>> : "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> : >
>> : > "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> : > ...
>> : >>
>> : >>
>> : >> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> : >> ...
>> : >>> my wife pointed out to me that EVERYONE touches that
>> : >>> ladle/spoon/tong handle so even if they don't touch the food
>> your
>> : >>> still getting contact with everyone before you.
>> : >>
>> : >> Wear a glove or carry the antibacterial gels and wipes for use
>> after
>> : >> ladling. Pain in the arse but so many bugs around these days,
>> : >> airborne and on public objects.
>> : >
>> : > The Dr. told us that the stomach bug virus is resistant to the
>> : > antibacterial gels.
>>
>> : I've never been able to prevent the spread of tummy bugs in our
>> house
>> : but we do take precautions just in case they will work
>>
>> My cousin, who after her second marriage, had 6 kids in the house.
>> she
>> sain if anyone got the slightest stomach bug she puteeveryone on a
>> light
>> diet to lessen the effects if it spread.

> Sounds like a plan I think I avoided one recently by buying in some
> probiotics. I never miss catching a tummy bug in this family and this
> time I did. Strangely, Jazz hasn't caught anything in the last two
> years. Not since she had the swine flu injection. She normally gets
> everything under the sun especially colds which often go to her chest.
> I actually have a dilemma now because no doctor here knows here and
> she
> has to have all kinds of medical reports done before she turns 16 next
> month. That's when she leaves my family payments and gets Disability
> Support Pension (not a full one until she is 21 and no difference in
> amounts of money coming into the household but its something I have to
> do).
>
> Here's a few videos of my baby girl at her recent Harmony Day at
> school:
>
> http://youtu.be/vfemQEabycU
>
> http://youtu.be/pFhvbLabbOQ
>
> http://youtu.be/Bm0844pIxlE
>
> http://youtu.be/yHdzZdLIHmg
>
> http://youtu.be/Uv_k9R753fg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:03:31 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>: "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>: >>topping.
>: >>: But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in them.
>: >>
>: >>So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do that
>: >>all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
>: >>week, iis fine.
>: >>
>: >>Wendy
>: >
>: >
>: > I always take home whatever leftovers I have from a restaurant. I
>: > also always eat leftover salad. In fact I love it and regard it as a
>: > treat! The Italians make a deliberately wilted salad using hot
>: > dressing in some instances.
>
>: We usually don't go home for many hours when we dine out. If we are eating
>: with my parents then we usually go to their house so she can use their
>: fridge.
>
>If you are not going home or to your mother's take an insulated bag, etc.
>with you if you usually ave leftovers.
>
>Wendy

That is an excellent idea, Wendy!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "Evelyn" > wrote in message
: > : >>topping.
: > : >>: But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in
: > them.
: > : >>
: > : >>So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do
: > that
: > : >>all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
: > : >>week, iis fine.
: > : >>
: > : >>Wendy
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > I always take home whatever leftovers I have from a restaurant. I
: > : > also always eat leftover salad. In fact I love it and regard it as a
: > : > treat! The Italians make a deliberately wilted salad using hot
: > : > dressing in some instances.
: >
: > : We usually don't go home for many hours when we dine out. If we are
: > eating
: > : with my parents then we usually go to their house so she can use their
: > : fridge.
: >
: > If you are not going home or to your mother's take an insulated bag, etc.
: > with you if you usually ave leftovers.

: Those only keep food cold for two hours and she wouldn't eat a leftover
: salad. I know she wouldn't. She eats what she wants of it at the
: restaurant.

With a frozen ice thing it can go for hours and hours. I know as we
always had a stil frozen ice pack in our insulated bag after our summer
time 3 hour trips to the country. You could try to encourage her to order
and eat her large servings with the leftovers for next day in mind.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> her pics always make me happy!
>>
>> everybody these days tries to be a "celebrity" on camera..so every pic is
>> people making sour faces or duck faces..I blame social media..
>>
>> its just nice to see a person happy and having fun!
>>
>> KROM

> Miss Happiness was the opposite this morning. Had to really conjole and
> bribe her every step of the way from bed to bath to brekky to bus. She has
> left with her hair not done but a bright pink spray of hair colour across
> the front A new every day habit that started with Crazy Hair day at
> school a few weeks ago, sigh. I am covered in pink spray because I turned
> the can the wrong way in my haste to get her out the door. Every day I
> have to excite with her something to get her moving. Luckily there is
> dancing, sailing, swimming and Scouts

Angela went through the colored hair thing a few years back. For her it was
mousse. But she was picking colors that were so light they wouldn't show up
in her hair and then she got frustrated.

Then it was the feather. She got a clip in one. Wasn't hard to clip it in.
Was hard to get it exactly as she wanted it. The hairdresser put it in for
her the first time and managed to do it so that her other hair would cover
the clip. The problem? The feather wasn't highly visible. But in order to
get it highly visible, then you could see the clip. Thankfully that trend
seems to be over here with the exception of the really little girls.

More recently she has taken a keen interest in her nails. She is keeping
them groomed and polished and freaks if the polish gets a chip.

Then last night it was makeup. I bought it for her last year. All subtle
colors. That is what she wanted. I think she wore it once or twice last
year. But last night she just had to have it and couldn't find it. I kept
telling her to look in the bottom drawer of the bathroom. She kept replying
that she had looked everywhere except for the bottom drawer of the bathroom.
For some reason she just didn't want to look there. So after about an hour
and her turning the bathroom all topsy turvy, guess where she found it?
Yep.

I didn't even have to show her how to use the makeup. She did it herself
and it looks good. I remember when I first started wearing makeup. Mine
didn't look so good. I wore far too much of it and tried all kinds of wild
colors.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:03:31 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>>: "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>: >>topping.
>>: >>: But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in
>>them.
>>: >>
>>: >>So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do
>>that
>>: >>all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
>>: >>week, iis fine.
>>: >>
>>: >>Wendy
>>: >
>>: >
>>: > I always take home whatever leftovers I have from a restaurant. I
>>: > also always eat leftover salad. In fact I love it and regard it as a
>>: > treat! The Italians make a deliberately wilted salad using hot
>>: > dressing in some instances.
>>
>>: We usually don't go home for many hours when we dine out. If we are
>>eating
>>: with my parents then we usually go to their house so she can use their
>>: fridge.
>>
>>If you are not going home or to your mother's take an insulated bag, etc.
>>with you if you usually ave leftovers.
>>
>>Wendy

> That is an excellent idea, Wendy!

Insulated bags only keep the food cold for two hours. We are generally not
home in that time frame. And she would never eat leftover salad at home.
Frankly neither would I.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "Evelyn" > wrote in message
> : > : >>topping.
> : > : >>: But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent
> in
> : > them.
> : > : >>
> : > : >>So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I
> do
> : > that
> : > : >>all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it
> sit a
> : > : >>week, iis fine.
> : > : >>
> : > : >>Wendy
> : > : >
> : > : >
> : > : > I always take home whatever leftovers I have from a restaurant.
> : > : > also always eat leftover salad. In fact I love it and regard it
> as a
> : > : > treat! The Italians make a deliberately wilted salad using hot
> : > : > dressing in some instances.
> : >
> : > : We usually don't go home for many hours when we dine out. If we are
> : > eating
> : > : with my parents then we usually go to their house so she can use
> their
> : > : fridge.
> : >
> : > If you are not going home or to your mother's take an insulated bag,
> etc.
> : > with you if you usually ave leftovers.
>
> : Those only keep food cold for two hours and she wouldn't eat a leftover
> : salad. I know she wouldn't. She eats what she wants of it at the
> : restaurant.
>
> With a frozen ice thing it can go for hours and hours. I know as we
> always had a stil frozen ice pack in our insulated bag after our summer
> time 3 hour trips to the country. You could try to encourage her to order
> and eat her large servings with the leftovers for next day in mind.

Seriously? There is no WAY I would do that. Haul half of a salad that
won't get eaten around with me? And on ice? Do you know what happens to
lettuce when it has been put on ice? I do! And it's not good. I don't
really *want* to bring leftovers home ever. Chances are they will not get
eaten. If she has steak or rice there is a 50/50 chance that she will eat
it. Other things? No. They sit in the fridge until they rot. Then not
only do I have to pay for a biobag to dispose of them but the restaurant had
to pay for a takeout box that didn't need to be used.

She eats the parts of the salad that she wants. And doesn't eat the parts
that she doesn't want. Do you ever finish a large salad? Even in two days?
I know I don't. And I would never take the rest of it home. If I didn't
want it then, I sure am not going to want it on a subsequent day.

I very rarely take any leftovers home. We did it once at an Italian
restaurant on Staten Island. We all ordered different kinds of pasta and
were shocked when the food arrived at how much we got. We immediately asked
for boxes and packed up about half of what was on our plates to take to my
husband who got off work later that night. He did not appreciate it and
said we had brought him our scraps. So we never did that again.

I just really do not like leftovers. I will have leftovers tonight because
I am making meatloaf. That is something I only make maybe a couple of times
a year. There are 8 of them. I will be freezing the rest. There really is
no way around that with meatloaf. It is such a pain to make that I make a
lot of it at once. And once in a while we will have leftover casserole.
Sometimes it can't be avoided.

Not so much of a problem when my husband is home. His mom deliberately made
a lot of food so she didn't have to cook as often. I try to do just the
opposite. I actually like to cook. But if I were feeding just me I would
probably rarely cook. I am fine to eat bean tacos every night again and
again and again. Angela won't do that. She doesn't like to eat the same
foods. She wants different foods every night. I'm fine with that because
that is how we *should* eat. It's just hard sometimes to scale things down
for just two people with no leftovers. And really that is how we should all
be eating. If there are leftovers it could encourage someone to eat more
than they should. If I make only enough for two or three of us and we are
still hungry we either just stay hungry or find something else to eat. Like
baby carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > Julie Bove > wrote:
: > : >
: > : > : "Evelyn" > wrote in message
: > : > : >>topping.
: > : > : >>: But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent
: > in
: > : > them.
: > : > : >>
: > : > : >>So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I
: > do
: > : > that
: > : > : >>all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it
: > sit a
: > : > : >>week, iis fine.
: > : > : >>
: > : > : >>Wendy
: > : > : >
: > : > : >
[...]

I am now alone and cooking for one. sometimes I make a hanburger or osme
other single meal item, but I generally make for for several days, either
to have a few days in a row, like chicken parts, or even a small chicken,
wole, or a turkey meatloaf, etc and sometimes I freeze food for later
meals. I will then have , either a home made salad with home made
vinegrette r a cooked veetalbe like asparagus, broccoli(fresh)
cauliflower, etc. If iI do artichokes I will cook at least 2 and have
them once hot and once as a cold vegetable with teh vinegrette. If I go
restaurant(usually at lunch) I may well order a large salad(different
restaurant in my neighborhood use different sized bowls, so i cna pick my
size to some extent). I usualy eat the whole thing and don't order any
salad with ingredients I don't eat. I do ask fo olives on the side as I
once broke a front tooth on a hidden olive pit in a Greek Salad. If a
meal in a restaurant is too much, I will take it home for next day's lunch
or dinner. At many of these paced my husband and I used to share a
dinner, now I have to take half home or order something like a turkey
sandwich with no bread on a bed of lettuce. sometimes, at one restaurant
that is too much so I bring the rest home for luch the next day. The
lettuce is still fine the next day.

When my husband was alive, I loved to cook for us both, but also would
have "plannedovers" so I would cook a whoe chicken and it would be for 2
nights or a meatloaf from 1 pound of ground meat tht also lasted for 2
nights. If I go(or now get) a whole bag of greenpeppers from the sale
tble, I will make stuffed peppers from that same pound of mground meat
with aded low carb bread crumbs made in my food processor, and onions ,
also finely chopped, hot, sweet and smoked paprika(recipe from a Hungarian
friend) and cook it in a seasoned 28oz can of tomatoes, with some wine,
chunked mushrooms, etc. and have it for a few nights, freezing the rest in
single serve plastic containers. This makes 7 portions of medium sized
greenpeppers. Nothing goes to waste and no one overeats because there is
something in the fridge. I do find tat I now sometimes do have some
lettue in the fridge that goes too soft because I am only 1 person, so I
have begun to buy bags or loose salad greens in smaller quantities. One
adapts to the situation and I eat healty meals, mostly home cooked and if
i don't watnt chicen in my salad I donby a salad with chicken in it and
trhow away the rest. My children were also trained when young not to
waste food either.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
> KROM wrote:
>
>> its more of the fact people dont wash their hands after the bathroom
>> more
>> then just germs.
>>
>> think about this..everyone going into a buffet uses the door handle then
>> the money to pay if its pay ahead like many are then they touch the chair
>> or the tables etc to get their seats then they get right to the buffet
>> and
>> start touching everything.
>>
>> nobody goes to the place goes to the bathroom to wash their hands and
>> then
>> goes to the line..
>>
>> KROM

> Heh. I noticed a grandson (5 years old at the time) washing his hands
> after
> the bathroom - he used his elbow to close the faucet. But then, both his
> parents are MDs (and now PhDs).
> :-)

I heard somewhere to have your child sing a verse of Happy Birthday or a
song that is the same length and tell them to keep on washing until they are
done with the song...makes it a bit more fun:

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROM View Post
my wife pointed out to me that EVERYONE touches that ladle/spoon/tong handle
so even if they dont touch the food your still getting contact with
everyone before you.

KROM

"Evelyn" wrote ...

I go with my husband to one of his favorite places to eat, a chinese
buffet. They have a sneeze guard, a glass protector over the food,
and every dish has a long handled spoon in it, to prevent people from
getting too close or breathing or coughing on the food. The
particular buffet we go to, puts out only a smallish amount of food at
a time in order to keep things fresh. We understand there is only so
much you can do and only so much you can guarantee or control. I had
a second job years ago working in restaurants. You really don't want
to know what happens behind the scenes. I think taking my chances at
a buffet is no more dangerous than ordering ala carte.

Evelyn
Over eating become a serious aspects so be cooperative and get well accomplishment so be conscious and get a remarkable demand as well as
best direction.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> with aded low carb bread crumbs made in my food processor, and onions ,
> also finely chopped, hot, sweet and smoked paprika(recipe from a Hungarian
> friend) and cook it in a seasoned 28oz can of tomatoes, with some wine,
> chunked mushrooms, etc. and have it for a few nights, freezing the rest in
> single serve plastic containers. This makes 7 portions of medium sized
> greenpeppers. Nothing goes to waste and no one overeats because there is
> something in the fridge. I do find tat I now sometimes do have some
> lettue in the fridge that goes too soft because I am only 1 person, so I
> have begun to buy bags or loose salad greens in smaller quantities. One
> adapts to the situation and I eat healty meals, mostly home cooked and if
> i don't watnt chicen in my salad I donby a salad with chicken in it and
> trhow away the rest. My children were also trained when young not to

I grew up in a house where it was no big deal to waste food. So it doesn't
bother me at all. We don't set out to waste food but it happens and it sure
as heck doesn't bother me. People who insist on eating every bite drive me
nuts!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 02:49:12 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> [...]

>with aded low carb bread crumbs made in my food processor, and onions ,
>also finely chopped, hot, sweet and smoked paprika(recipe from a Hungarian
>friend) and cook it in a seasoned 28oz can of tomatoes, with some wine,
>chunked mushrooms, etc. and have it for a few nights, freezing the rest in
>single serve plastic containers. This makes 7 portions of medium sized
>greenpeppers. Nothing goes to waste and no one overeats because there is
>something in the fridge. I do find tat I now sometimes do have some
>lettue in the fridge that goes too soft because I am only 1 person, so I
>have begun to buy bags or loose salad greens in smaller quantities. One
>adapts to the situation and I eat healty meals, mostly home cooked and if
>i don't watnt chicen in my salad I donby a salad with chicken in it and
>trhow away the rest. My children were also trained when young not to

I do exactly as you do, Wendy. I try to not waste food. I cook a
big meal every night, but I often will make an entree that will serve
us for two nights, or else freeze the leftovers for another day. I
only throw something out rarely, perhaps if it is something I really
don't like for some reason or if it turned out badly enough for us not
to want it the next day. I don't think anybody gets more out of a
supermarket rotisserie chicken than we do!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:27:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:03:31 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Julie Bove > wrote:
>>>
>>>: "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>>: >>topping.
>>>: >>: But at a restaurant they are so huge she can't even make a dent in
>>>them.
>>>: >>
>>>: >>So ask them to pack up what is left and have it the next day. I do
>>>that
>>>: >>all the time with some of hose huge salads. If you don't let it sit a
>>>: >>week, iis fine.
>>>: >>
>>>: >>Wendy
>>>: >
>>>: >
>>>: > I always take home whatever leftovers I have from a restaurant. I
>>>: > also always eat leftover salad. In fact I love it and regard it as a
>>>: > treat! The Italians make a deliberately wilted salad using hot
>>>: > dressing in some instances.
>>>
>>>: We usually don't go home for many hours when we dine out. If we are
>>>eating
>>>: with my parents then we usually go to their house so she can use their
>>>: fridge.
>>>
>>>If you are not going home or to your mother's take an insulated bag, etc.
>>>with you if you usually ave leftovers.
>>>
>>>Wendy

>> That is an excellent idea, Wendy!

>Insulated bags only keep the food cold for two hours. We are generally not
>home in that time frame. And she would never eat leftover salad at home.
>Frankly neither would I.

Do suit yourself. I on the other hand, love leftover salad, and I
hate to waste money, and food is money.

I don't worry over the two hours either. I have left food in a
cooler for days when our fridge was broken. It stayed cold with ice.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie > wrote:

: "Bj?rn Steensrud" > wrote in message
: ...
: > KROM wrote:
: >
[...]
: > :-)
: >
: >
: I heard somewhere to have your child sing a verse of Happy Birthday or a
: song that is the same length and tell them to keep on washing until they are
: done with the song...makes it a bit more fun:

I learned that here frome a former poster, Barbara "pointy-?" who had been
a nurse adn told us that they had been taught tht in nursing school.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I grew up in a house where it was no big deal to waste food. So it doesn't
> bother me at all. We don't set out to waste food but it happens and it sure
> as heck doesn't bother me. People who insist on eating every bite drive me
> nuts!

I grew up in a solid middle class home. Money for things we needed, and
even for most things we *wanted*, wasn't an issue. But I was raised not
to waste money. We got new clothes when we outgrew our old clothes, and
for the first day of school, but not necessarily because we wanted the
latest fad. My sister and I were encouraged to save our allowances for
things we wanted.

In that context, wasting food is wasting money. Sure, once in a while
you end up with more than you can eat in a restaurant and no way to keep
the leftovers chilled. But in the grocery store, cost is very much a
consideration. Whole chicken is cheaper, per pound, than boneless
breasts. Pre-washed salad costs substantially more than a head of
lettuce does. Plain yoghurt in large tubs is cheaper per serving than
the same yoghurt in single-serving containers, and also lets me decide
what size serving I want. (This kind of buying frees up grocery money
for additive-free peanut butter and such like.) In any case, it makes me
very sad to read about a lifestyle built around deliberately wasting
money.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:08:08 -0400, Alice Faber >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> I grew up in a house where it was no big deal to waste food. So it doesn't
>> bother me at all. We don't set out to waste food but it happens and it sure
>> as heck doesn't bother me. People who insist on eating every bite drive me
>> nuts!

>I grew up in a solid middle class home. Money for things we needed, and
>even for most things we *wanted*, wasn't an issue. But I was raised not
>to waste money. We got new clothes when we outgrew our old clothes, and
>for the first day of school, but not necessarily because we wanted the
>latest fad. My sister and I were encouraged to save our allowances for
>things we wanted.
>
>In that context, wasting food is wasting money. Sure, once in a while
>you end up with more than you can eat in a restaurant and no way to keep
>the leftovers chilled. But in the grocery store, cost is very much a
>consideration. Whole chicken is cheaper, per pound, than boneless
>breasts. Pre-washed salad costs substantially more than a head of
>lettuce does. Plain yoghurt in large tubs is cheaper per serving than
>the same yoghurt in single-serving containers, and also lets me decide
>what size serving I want. (This kind of buying frees up grocery money
>for additive-free peanut butter and such like.) In any case, it makes me
>very sad to read about a lifestyle built around deliberately wasting
>money.

AMEN! Absolutely..... and well said!

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

lol..its wrong that I'm giggling hard over the "pinking" of yourself...hehe

maybe today is the day she cheered me up!

:-D

KROM

"Ozgirl" wrote ...

Miss Happiness was the opposite this morning. Had to really conjole and
bribe her every step of the way from bed to bath to brekky to bus. She
has left with her hair not done but a bright pink spray of hair colour
across the front A new every day habit that started with Crazy Hair
day at school a few weeks ago, sigh. I am covered in pink spray because
I turned the can the wrong way in my haste to get her out the door.
Every day I have to excite with her something to get her moving. Luckily
there is dancing, sailing, swimming and Scouts

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

solutions have to be wanted Wendy...

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote ...

With a frozen ice thing it can go for hours and hours. I know as we
always had a stil frozen ice pack in our insulated bag after our summer
time 3 hour trips to the country. You could try to encourage her to order
and eat her large servings with the leftovers for next day in mind.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> I grew up in a house where it was no big deal to waste food. So it
>> doesn't
>> bother me at all. We don't set out to waste food but it happens and it
>> sure
>> as heck doesn't bother me. People who insist on eating every bite drive
>> me
>> nuts!

> I grew up in a solid middle class home. Money for things we needed, and
> even for most things we *wanted*, wasn't an issue. But I was raised not
> to waste money. We got new clothes when we outgrew our old clothes, and
> for the first day of school, but not necessarily because we wanted the
> latest fad. My sister and I were encouraged to save our allowances for
> things we wanted.
>
> In that context, wasting food is wasting money. Sure, once in a while
> you end up with more than you can eat in a restaurant and no way to keep
> the leftovers chilled. But in the grocery store, cost is very much a
> consideration. Whole chicken is cheaper, per pound, than boneless
> breasts. Pre-washed salad costs substantially more than a head of
> lettuce does. Plain yoghurt in large tubs is cheaper per serving than
> the same yoghurt in single-serving containers, and also lets me decide
> what size serving I want. (This kind of buying frees up grocery money
> for additive-free peanut butter and such like.) In any case, it makes me
> very sad to read about a lifestyle built around deliberately wasting
> money.

That's the same way we grew up, we raised a lot of our own food, milk etc.,
and had plenty to eat, but we still couldn't waste it. My mom used to always
tell us, you can take as much as you want, but you have to eat what you
take. She meant it. To this day, I don't waste food, planning for the
leftovers etc, unless of course something got pushed to the back of the
fridge and I didn't know it was there until it grew legs. I also look for
specials and stock up, plus a lot of cooking from scratch. I don't really
buy many convenience foods.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:58:09 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>

>>> I grew up in a house where it was no big deal to waste food. So it
>>> doesn't
>>> bother me at all. We don't set out to waste food but it happens and it
>>> sure
>>> as heck doesn't bother me. People who insist on eating every bite drive
>>> me
>>> nuts!

>> I grew up in a solid middle class home. Money for things we needed, and
>> even for most things we *wanted*, wasn't an issue. But I was raised not
>> to waste money. We got new clothes when we outgrew our old clothes, and
>> for the first day of school, but not necessarily because we wanted the
>> latest fad. My sister and I were encouraged to save our allowances for
>> things we wanted.
>>
>> In that context, wasting food is wasting money. Sure, once in a while
>> you end up with more than you can eat in a restaurant and no way to keep
>> the leftovers chilled. But in the grocery store, cost is very much a
>> consideration. Whole chicken is cheaper, per pound, than boneless
>> breasts. Pre-washed salad costs substantially more than a head of
>> lettuce does. Plain yoghurt in large tubs is cheaper per serving than
>> the same yoghurt in single-serving containers, and also lets me decide
>> what size serving I want. (This kind of buying frees up grocery money
>> for additive-free peanut butter and such like.) In any case, it makes me
>> very sad to read about a lifestyle built around deliberately wasting
>> money.

>That's the same way we grew up, we raised a lot of our own food, milk etc.,
>and had plenty to eat, but we still couldn't waste it. My mom used to always
>tell us, you can take as much as you want, but you have to eat what you
>take. She meant it. To this day, I don't waste food, planning for the
>leftovers etc, unless of course something got pushed to the back of the
>fridge and I didn't know it was there until it grew legs. I also look for
>specials and stock up, plus a lot of cooking from scratch. I don't really
>buy many convenience foods.
>
>Cheri

A good philosophy. Especially the "You can take what you want but
you have to eat what you take" part.

I believe that children should be taught to calculate their needs
properly and to respect and honor the fact that everything on the
table came from someone's efforts, to grow, transport, cook, serve,
etc.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> A good philosophy. Especially the "You can take what you want but
> you have to eat what you take" part.
>
> I believe that children should be taught to calculate their needs
> properly and to respect and honor the fact that everything on the
> table came from someone's efforts, to grow, transport, cook, serve,
> etc.
>
> Evelyn

I like to tell this story...once when I took a big helping, and I mean big
helping of my mom's canned cherries, she asked if I'm sure I'm going to want
all of that. I said yes. Well, I didn't really want all of that and couldn't
finish, so I did sit at that damned kitchen table looking at those cherries
for a very long time before she set me free...to never do that again. LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:23:05 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>> A good philosophy. Especially the "You can take what you want but
>> you have to eat what you take" part.
>>
>> I believe that children should be taught to calculate their needs
>> properly and to respect and honor the fact that everything on the
>> table came from someone's efforts, to grow, transport, cook, serve,
>> etc.
>>
>> Evelyn

>I like to tell this story...once when I took a big helping, and I mean big
>helping of my mom's canned cherries, she asked if I'm sure I'm going to want
>all of that. I said yes. Well, I didn't really want all of that and couldn't
>finish, so I did sit at that damned kitchen table looking at those cherries
>for a very long time before she set me free...to never do that again. LOL
>
>Cheri

Your mom was a wise woman. Wisdom is unfortunately a very rare trait.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> I grew up in a house where it was no big deal to waste food. So it
>> doesn't
>> bother me at all. We don't set out to waste food but it happens and it
>> sure
>> as heck doesn't bother me. People who insist on eating every bite drive
>> me
>> nuts!

> I grew up in a solid middle class home. Money for things we needed, and
> even for most things we *wanted*, wasn't an issue. But I was raised not
> to waste money. We got new clothes when we outgrew our old clothes, and
> for the first day of school, but not necessarily because we wanted the
> latest fad. My sister and I were encouraged to save our allowances for
> things we wanted.

OTOH I pretty much always got the latest fad and in some cases at my school,
I started it. I did a display window for DECA using shoes from a downtown
shoe store. I featured the new Famolare Get There shoes. This was in the
1970's. The owner was so pleased that when he got new stock, he would call
me, let me buy a pair then wait two days to put the shoes out on the floor.
He also gave me a big discount on the shoes. That was the start of my
collecting shoes. I had one of every kind they made.

> In that context, wasting food is wasting money. Sure, once in a while
> you end up with more than you can eat in a restaurant and no way to keep
> the leftovers chilled. But in the grocery store, cost is very much a
> consideration. Whole chicken is cheaper, per pound, than boneless
> breasts. Pre-washed salad costs substantially more than a head of
> lettuce does. Plain yoghurt in large tubs is cheaper per serving than
> the same yoghurt in single-serving containers, and also lets me decide
> what size serving I want. (This kind of buying frees up grocery money
> for additive-free peanut butter and such like.) In any case, it makes me
> very sad to read about a lifestyle built around deliberately wasting
> money.

I don't buy something simply because it is cheaper. Parents have tried to
use me to help explain to their kids why it is better to buy a big bag of
something from the store rather than from a machine. I am a bad person to
ask. I love machines! I always have.

And where did it say that I deliberately waste money? I did not. But you
do know there are countless people who do just that. Right?

> --
> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message
> lol..its wrong that I'm giggling hard over the "pinking" of
> yourself...hehe
>
> maybe today is the day she cheered me up!

lol. Mothers are used to having weird things on themselves, like finding
yourself at the supermarket with baby poop on your shirt. Last night my
17 yr old son tried to write on me. I'm like WTF??? He said oh come on,
its been years since I have drawn on you, let me do it just once, lol.
Weirdo.

> :-D
>
> KROM
>

> "Ozgirl" wrote ...
>

> Miss Happiness was the opposite this morning. Had to really conjole
> and bribe her every step of the way from bed to bath to brekky to bus.
> She has left with her hair not done but a bright pink spray of hair
> colour across the front A new every day habit that started with
> Crazy Hair day at school a few weeks ago, sigh. I am covered in pink
> spray because I turned the can the wrong way in my haste to get her
> out the door. Every day I have to excite with her something to get her
> moving. Luckily there is dancing, sailing, swimming and Scouts

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:23:05 -0700, "Cheri" >
: wrote:

: >"Evelyn" > wrote in message
: .. .
: >
[...]

My mom always gave a small portion or suggested we take a small one as
there was always more for seconds, and there always was.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:23:05 -0700, "Cheri" >
> : wrote:
>
> : >"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> : .. .
> : >
> : >> A good philosophy. Especially the "You can take what you want but
> : >> you have to eat what you take" part.
> : >>
> : >> I believe that children should be taught to calculate their needs
> : >> properly and to respect and honor the fact that everything on the
> : >> table came from someone's efforts, to grow, transport, cook, serve,
> : >> etc.
> : >>
> : >> Evelyn
> : >
> : >I like to tell this story...once when I took a big helping, and I mean
> big
> : >helping of my mom's canned cherries, she asked if I'm sure I'm going to
> want
> : >all of that. I said yes. Well, I didn't really want all of that and
> couldn't
> : >finish, so I did sit at that damned kitchen table looking at those
> cherries
> : >for a very long time before she set me free...to never do that again.
> LOL
> : >
> : >Cheri
>

> : Your mom was a wise woman. Wisdom is unfortunately a very rare trait.
>
> : Evelyn
>
> My mom always gave a small portion or suggested we take a small one as
> there was always more for seconds, and there always was.

We just got a plate. Sometimes there was more of some foods. Usually not.