Terry Pulliam Burd

Default Buffets

I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...

[pulling on asbestos britches here]

....of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.

Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
Puester

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!

---

I agree, but for a slightly different reason.

Buffet platters, after the first three people have served themselves,
look like garbage, as though wild animals have been stomping through
them. I have eaten at a few that are the exception, but these are
rare.

gloria p
Nancy Young

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...

You know, I'm just not a buffet kinda girl. Yes, once a year, I go to
a brunch buffet. To me it's just not brunch unless it's all you can
eat. (laugh) Which for me is like almost a plate full. But no, I
don't pick out of platters that look as if they've been around forever,
nothing like that.

Having said that, I did go to a buffet in Atlantic City earlier this
year, really did put me off. So I think that's the kind of buffet
you're talking about. No, not my thing. Me, I wanna have a seat and
people come bring me food. Spoiled brat. People were kinda climbing
over each other to get to so so food (just this one place, I'm not
saying anything about the food in AC).

> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.

Okay, you just *had* to make me pull out one of my dictionaries. I
admit, I don't know what abstemious means. I'm thinking it's related
to abstain, but it doesn't fit in the sentence.

It's no big secret, when I go to brunch, I'll overindulge in bacon
and sausage. You might think, what a pig. (laugh) It's just a once
a year indulgence. I don't eat much else except some fruit. Oh!
last time I had a mini waffle, too. With syrup.

I would not like to see people eating right off the buffet, if that's
what you mean by grazing. Yuck.

But yeah ... I'm okay with a good brunch buffet. Once a year.

nancy
Levelwave©

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

One exception... The Chinese Buffet... Yum...

~john
Gregory Morrow

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!

No need to don yer britches for me - I agree 1000% with everything you say.

There is a very good Thai Sunday brunch buffet here in Chicago (there are
many, actually), but a few years back we just stopped going. The food is
great, fresh, and varied, but the behavior of some of the "diners" turned me
off. One guy took a *whole* newly - replenished platter of rock lobster
tails and dumped them on his plate...there were kids running around putting
their grimy fingers in the food (some of the adults did this, too)...people
with truly piggish table manners....

I won't tell you the squicky things I've seen at places like Olde Kuntry
Boofay and the like...gross!

No more buffets for me.

Besides which, when I go out to eat I want to be served at the table.
Hundreds of days of the year I have a buffet - it's called "Greg's
Kitchen"...lol. Wanna give my gams a break!

I do sometimes go to a local place for all - you - can - eat fish n' chips
on Fridays and Wednesdays. But they serve you, so that's acceptable to
me....

--
Best
Greg

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:33:36 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
>recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
>curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
>I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
>eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
>not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
>about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
>be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
>[pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
>...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
>like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
>eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
>Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!

I am with you on this. During my years writing for a trade magazine, I
suffered through endless buffets. Sometimes there would be something
that actually tasted good, but I still hate eating standing up.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light
projectile vomit chick

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!

Yeah but, if you have the old lady bring her big purse, you can eat for the
rest of the week!

projectile vomit chick

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
> I am with you on this. During my years writing for a trade magazine, I
> suffered through endless buffets. Sometimes there would be something
> that actually tasted good, but I still hate eating standing up.

Um, hey dipshit, you do know that you are supposed to get your food and go
sit down at a table, right? Don't tell me you stood there at the buffet
line, napkin tucked under chin, fork in hand, grazing!

Wayne Boatwright

Levelwave© > wrote in news:c4asor$2f6jaj$1@ID-
199095.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>
>> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
>> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
>> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

> One exception... The Chinese Buffet... Yum...
>
> ~john

The one exception for me is that Chinese buffets usually look like garbage
to start with, and that's before people have picked them apart.

Buffets, in general, are disgusting.

Wayne
Blair P. Houghton

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
>recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
>curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

Most are dreck. But the ones in Vegas keep enough volume
flow that you're getting good, hot food if they start
out with good, hot food.

Then there's the breakfast buffet at Circus Circus,
which must be experienced at least once in your life
(preferably when you need to cover a massive hangover
in grease and salt). The food reminded me of army chow,
but the scene was like 5 army chow-halls in one room.

Outside Vegas I limit my buffet action to happy hour (because
it's there) and Hong Kong style (because the food lends itself
to that sort of handling).

--Blair
"Gambling with your gut."

Alex Rast

at Tue, 30 Mar 2004 03:33:36 GMT in <a0qh605udejbccnop14tmvigs31qj4krdt@
4ax.com>, (Terry Pulliam Burd) wrote :

>I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
>recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
>curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
>I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
>eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
>not exactly enticing.

The key is high turnover. If the buffet does a really roaring trade, the
food will be fresh because each tray will get emptied very quickly.
Combined with a small size per tray, this also minimises the messiness
problem.

Interesting how some people find the sight of others eating off-putting. In
Bangor, Maine, there is an enormous buffet our family used to make an
annual trip to during our vacation to Canada. Me, my sister,and my dad dug
in without reservations, but my mom was always sickened.

The one beef I have with buffets (excuse the pun, as you'll see in a bit)
is that there's generally not very much meat, and if they have roasts, you
can't take what you want - there's invariably someone slicing it. Not only
does this mean you can never get enough, but it's invariably impossible to
get the doneness level you want because a request for slices out of the
center usually gets met with a deaf ear. I can understand why they have the
slicers - if everyone took the massive amounts of meat, that would pretty
much kill their price structure - but I suggest an alternative - a tiered
price structure whereby if you wanted all-you-can-eat on the meat, you paid
commensurately more. The other issue they no doubt have to deal with is the
liability one - were someone to cut themselves slicing their own meat, no
doubt somebody would sue, no matter how self-evident it was that it's
entirely their own fault.
--
Alex Rast

Charles Gifford

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

I got stopped even earlier Terry. Why would one go to Las Vegas and eat at
buffets? The place is chock-a-block with every famous chef's restaurants.

Charlie

Daisy

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

I also dislike buffet serving arrangements. Give me table service every
time! The beetroot dishes and some of the salads seem to get mixed and
there is always an awful mess around these dishes. I simply cannot
stand helping myself to stewed-over stir-fry vegetables, and rice that
is beginning to have little rock edges because it has been warmed up too
long.

No -- I prefer to pay the extra and have the meal served to me at the
table thanks.
Kajikit

Blair P. Houghton had something important to tell us on Tue, 30 Mar
2004 06:19:02 GMT:

>Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>>I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
>>recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
>>curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

>Most are dreck. But the ones in Vegas keep enough volume
>flow that you're getting good, hot food if they start
>out with good, hot food.
>
>Then there's the breakfast buffet at Circus Circus,
>which must be experienced at least once in your life
>(preferably when you need to cover a massive hangover
>in grease and salt). The food reminded me of army chow,
>but the scene was like 5 army chow-halls in one room.

The buffets at Treasure Island are pretty good. There was a high
turnover so the food stayed pretty fresh, and it certainly didn't look
'pawed over' to me. We didn't have any trouble eating it.

I don't mind buffets as long as they're busy enough to look fresh...
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 29 March 2004 - 46 cards, 28 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 48 decos & more!

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

Kajikit

Charles Gifford had something important to tell us on Tue, 30 Mar
2004 08:56:01 GMT:

>"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
>> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
>> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

>I got stopped even earlier Terry. Why would one go to Las Vegas and eat at
>buffets? The place is chock-a-block with every famous chef's restaurants.

In our case it was because our tour package included breakfast buffets
and a dinner at the hotel buffet... it was nicer than the dinner I had
the other night in the hotel restaurant. We didn't have time,
resources or money to go elsewhere.
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 29 March 2004 - 46 cards, 28 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 48 decos & more!

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Jack Schidt®

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!

'Buffet' in Vegas isn't always the same as 'buffet' in Cowtown, USA. Yes,
some of them are the steam table to death variety but others are quite fine
dining. Sam's Town on the way to Boulder City had a seafood buffet that was
outstanding: fresh fish, ahi tuna, every kind of shellfish imaginable, raw
bar, crawdads, on and on and on.....all fresh and very tasty.

I know the other kinda buffet you mean.....they should open a buffet chain
called Cafe 212, as everything is either boiled or steamed to death, food
for those who don't chew.

Jack Polygrip

Jack Schidt®

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
> > I am with you on this. During my years writing for a trade magazine, I
> > suffered through endless buffets. Sometimes there would be something
> > that actually tasted good, but I still hate eating standing up.

> Um, hey dipshit, you do know that you are supposed to get your food and go
> sit down at a table, right? Don't tell me you stood there at the buffet
> line, napkin tucked under chin, fork in hand, grazing!

I just toss my food on the sneeze guard and tuck in right then and there.

Jack Manners

Jack Schidt®

"Dan Levy" > wrote in message

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
> > I got stopped even earlier Terry. Why would one go to Las Vegas and eat

at
> > buffets? The place is chock-a-block with every famous chef's

restaurants.

> Never been there myself and I think gambling is unwise, but I thought I'd
> heard that some of the casinos serve free snacks to their customers. How
> much gambling the customer has to do in order to be fed, however, is
> something I don't know.

It's free drinks while you're gambling, doesn't matter what game, doesn't
matter what you drink. I guess the cheapest way to drink is to play a
couple of keno numbers and enjoy the libations. I won't touch on the most
expensive way is.

Jack Sands

Kswck

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

To quote an old adage, "If I am going to pay for my food in a restaurant, it
is going to be served TO me."

Mpoconnor7

>I got stopped even earlier Terry. Why would one go to Las Vegas and eat at
>buffets? The place is chock-a-block with every famous chef's restaurants.

In the casinos, the breakfast buffets are generally about 4 bucks each and the
one I went to at the Sahara had Lox and Roast Beef on it.. To go eat at
Emeril's probably costs an arm or leg and I doubt those celebrity places even
serve breakfast.

I live less than a mile from two chinese buffets. One I like because they do
have crab legs and fried on the menu and I can have a meal strongly rooted in
seafood. The only problem is that eating at those places causes me severe
digestive problems. If I'm backed up, I know I can always go to the chinese
buffet and within twenty minutes after leaving the restaurant my constipation
problem is solved.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
kilikini

"Mpoconnor7" > wrote in message
> >I got stopped even earlier Terry. Why would one go to Las Vegas and eat

at
> >buffets? The place is chock-a-block with every famous chef's restaurants.

> In the casinos, the breakfast buffets are generally about 4 bucks each and

the
> one I went to at the Sahara had Lox and Roast Beef on it.. To go eat at
> Emeril's probably costs an arm or leg and I doubt those celebrity places

even
> serve breakfast.
>
> I live less than a mile from two chinese buffets. One I like because they

do
> have crab legs and fried on the menu and I can have a meal strongly rooted

in
> seafood. The only problem is that eating at those places causes me severe
> digestive problems. If I'm backed up, I know I can always go to the

chinese
> buffet and within twenty minutes after leaving the restaurant my

constipation
> problem is solved.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man
>
> "The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
> proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
> James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

Chinese & Mexican restaurants do the exact same thing to me! <VBG>
kili

Kajikit > wrote:
>>but the scene was like 5 army chow-halls in one room.

> The buffets at Treasure Island are pretty good. There was a high
> turnover so the food stayed pretty fresh, and it certainly didn't look
> 'pawed over' to me. We didn't have any trouble eating it.

If you're referring to the Treasure Island casino in Las Vegas, it
does not offer a buffet.

Charles Gifford > wrote:

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
>> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
>> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

> I got stopped even earlier Terry. Why would one go to Las Vegas and eat at
> buffets? The place is chock-a-block with every famous chef's restaurants.

Because the food at some Las Vegas buffets is superb. The buffets at
Belagio, Aladan, Monte Carlo, and Paris casinos offer excellent food
with high turnover and reasonable prices.

Dan Levy > wrote:

> Never been there myself and I think gambling is unwise, but I thought I'd
> heard that some of the casinos serve free snacks to their customers. How
> much gambling the customer has to do in order to be fed, however, is
> something I don't know.

I have been to Las Vegas many times. I assure you, there is plenty to
do in Vegas for those who do not gamble. For those that do gamble, all
the casinos offer free alcoholic and soft drinks. No casino that I have
ever been to in Vegas or anywhere else offers free snacks to gamblers;
only free drinks. I never accept alcoholic drinks when I gamble though;
I usually just order bottled water or soda. Gambling and alcohol do not
mix, which is why the casinos offer free alcoholic drinks to players.

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
> I know the other kinda buffet you mean.....they should open a buffet chain
> called Cafe 212, as everything is either boiled or steamed to death, food
> for those who don't chew.

For those who enjoy Sunday brunch, the Paris buffet has an excellent
deal. I think they offer it on Saturdays too. The Paris buffet for
brunch has what seems like endless smoked salmon, an omelet station,
seafood quiche, different kinds of blintses, and superb desserts.

Julia Altshuler

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?

The question is a little like asking who likes restaurants and who
doesn't. If your experience with restaurants is good, you like them.
If you've been to bad ones, you don't.

I haven't been to many buffets, but I think of them kindly. There was a
hotel in New Orleans many years ago that did a wonderful brunch.
Instead of the guy slicing meat, they had a woman with a wok. The
vegetables were sliced and in bowls on the table. You pointed to what
you wanted in your stir-fry, and she made your order fresh.

I'm also a big fan of Indian lunch buffets. Indian stews lend
themselves wonderfully to slow cooking in a steam table. There are
several restaurants around here that offer all-you-can eat Indian lunch
buffets. My appetite is never big enough to make money on the deal, but
I do feel well fed and like I got my money's worth.

When Jim's job took us to San Jose a few times a year, we stayed in a
hotel that did a nice job on breakfast. In some ways it was simple, but
it was the perfect business breakfast. They had a table of baked goods
including some fancy pastries and croissants but also plain bagels and
whole wheat bread, butter, cream cheese and jam, serving size boxes of
package cereal, thermoses of coffee, tea, hot water, cream, whole and
skim milk, and big bowls of freshly cut fruit. That was it, all self
serve and all refreshed by a staff that was kept busy during the morning
rush. I loved it.

The worst buffets are the ones where some hotel is trying to save on
serving staff for breakfast. Invariably there's those doughnut shaped
rolls that are trying to be bagels but are really bad white bread, the
bacon under the hot lamp, the drying out eggs, the sorry looking fruit.
Sometimes there's that greasy french toast.

No, I can think of a worse one. I've said before how my in-laws and I
have different opinions on what makes a good meal. Jim and I keep
trying to take them out to what we think is a good restaurant, and they
keep being unhappy. Finally, we asked where they'd like to go, and they
took us to the buffet dinner at some club. I had to keep telling myself
that they go here on purpose and not because they're forced. As near as
I could tell, they bought big boxes of batter fried and frozen foods,
defrosted and put them under a hot lamp. I couldn't name a brand, but
this is the sort where the batter tastes of pure salt. They'd also
battered the tails on the shrimp so I found myself chewing up shrimp
shells. Everything else was like what others have described in this
thread including the ubiquitous roast beef with server. My in-laws are
of a generation that values all-you-can eat.

--Lia

Felice Friese

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

No buffets, thank you. For all the reasons you cited, plus if I wanted to
serve myself I could do it at home.

Felice

Dimitri

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

I have seen and eaten at some lovely Sunday Brunch buffets. IMHO there is a
very big difference between those and, well "Hometown Buffet"

Dimitri

Wayne Boatwright

"Dimitri" > wrote in
:

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
>> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out
>> of curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>>
>> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
>> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
>> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks
>> standing about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff
>> appears to be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the
>> visual...
>>
>> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>>
>> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just
>> looks like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly
>> abstemious eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>>
>> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>>
>> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
>> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
>> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
>> good dinner." Anonymous.
>>
>> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

> I have seen and eaten at some lovely Sunday Brunch buffets. IMHO
> there is a very big difference between those and, well "Hometown
> Buffet"
>
> Dimitri

We have the "Old Country Buffet" in the Phoenix area, which is often
frequented by "snowbirds", our perennial out of state winter
visitors/residents. Many, of not most, of the snowbirds are elderly and
we have dubbed the restaurant the "Old Folks Buffet". It's not the
cheapest meal in town, but at least they get a good bang for their buck.

Personally, most of my feelings about most buffets are negative and for
most of the previously posted reasons.

Wayne

Dimitri

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dimitri" > wrote in

<snip>

> > I have seen and eaten at some lovely Sunday Brunch buffets. IMHO
> > there is a very big difference between those and, well "Hometown
> > Buffet"
> >
> > Dimitri

> We have the "Old Country Buffet" in the Phoenix area, which is often
> frequented by "snowbirds", our perennial out of state winter
> visitors/residents. Many, of not most, of the snowbirds are elderly and
> we have dubbed the restaurant the "Old Folks Buffet". It's not the
> cheapest meal in town, but at least they get a good bang for their buck.
>
> Personally, most of my feelings about most buffets are negative and for
> most of the previously posted reasons.
>
> Wayne

Same ownership - http://www.buffet.com/

Eating at the Ritz..

The Ritz-Carlton in Coconut Grove turns its exceptionally rated culinary
talents to one of America's favorite weekend pastimes, Sunday Brunch. Served
indoors in the hotel's signature restaurant, Bizcaya Grill, and outside
overlooking a lush courtyard waterfall, Sunday Brunch features an abundant
array of culinary specialties from around the world and is accompanied by
free-flowing champagne and mimosas from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Executive Chef Roberto Holz varies the menu each Sunday to combine new
specialties and seasonal favorites with such mouthwatering selections as
baked grouper with wilted spinach and tomato vinaigrette, beef tenderloin
with caramelized shallots in a red wine reduction, cannelloni of duck confit
with lemon and thyme, mushroom, spinach and asparagus risotto with marinated
shrimp and roasted garlic, marinated lamb chops with fresh herbs and more.

Ever-changing culinary offerings are complemented by cuisine of the world,
featuring a different region each month:

March: Spain August: Russia

April: India September: Hawaii

May: Tuscany October: Germany

June: Mexico November/December: Provence

July: Caribbean

A dramatic of fresh seafood and salads features oysters on the half shell
with mignonettes, gazpacho shooters, Bacalao salad with sweet potatoes,
antipasti displays, roasted asparagus with Serrano ham, exotic cheeses from
around the world, fresh shrimp and smoked salmon. For traditionalists, the
restaurant offers French toast, a selection of bacon and house-made sausages
and omelettes made to order,

Working with Executive Chef Roberto Holz, 32, formerly of Hotel Arts,
Barcelona, Spain (a Ritz-Carlton Hotel), is Willis Loughhead, 31, Restaurant
Chef for Bizcaya Grill. The restaurant recently received an "Exceptional"
rating from the Miami Herald.

Sunday Brunch at The Ritz-Carlton, Coconut Grove is served from 11:30 a.m.
to 3 p.m. and is $45 for adults; $25 for children under 12. Reservations can
be made by calling 305-644-4670. The hotel is located at 3300 S.W. 27th
Avenue, in the heart of Miami's most historic bay front neighborhood.

Dimitri

Bob Westcott

<pulling on the extra heavy duty asbestos britches here>

OK.... all I'm gonna say is that buffets are merely the result of the
average American's desire for quantity over quality.

You all get what you deserve.

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> I was just strolling through the Las Vegas thread restaurant
> recommendations and saw a *lot* of buffet recommendations. Just out of
> curiosity, who hereabouts like buffets and who can't stand 'em?
>
> I'm in the "can't stand 'em" category. First of all, the idea of
> eating food that's been sitting in steamers for God knows how long is
> not exactly enticing. And, yeah, I know they often have cooks standing
> about to do things to order <shrug>, but most of the stuff appears to
> be just laid out for hours. I also have a problem with the visual...
>
> [pulling on asbestos britches here]
>
> ...of people just *grazing* and piling plates yea high - it just looks
> like an overeating festival to me. Granted, I'm a fairly abstemious
> eater, but I find buffets just repulsive.
>
> Okay, flame away. I have my protective britches on!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

PENMART01

>stanwrote:
>
>>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>>
>> I know the other kinda buffet you mean.....they should open a buffet chain
>> called Cafe 212, as everything is either boiled or steamed to death, food
>> for those who don't chew.

>For those who enjoy Sunday brunch, the Paris buffet has an excellent
>deal. I think they offer it on Saturdays too. The Paris buffet for
>brunch has what seems like endless smoked salmon, an omelet station,
>seafood quiche, different kinds of blintses, and superb desserts.

Harrah's Tahoe seafood dinner buffet is world class, as good if not better than
the world's finest seafood restaurants; last time I was there (about 6 years
ago) the price was $14.99, had to make reservations and no children under 12.
The food was tastefully presented and most dishes were served, everything
spotless. you could refill as often as you liked but no used dishes were
permitted... that's my number one turn off at "all u can eats", people going
back for refills with a plateful of half eaten food. And Nevada's casino
buffets are in a class by themselves, not your typical Texas type All U Can
Eat hog trough.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Young

Bob Westcott wrote:

> <pulling on the extra heavy duty asbestos britches here>
>
> OK.... all I'm gonna say is that buffets are merely the result of the
> average American's desire for quantity over quality.
>
> You all get what you deserve.

Are you trying to say that buffets are the only type of restaurants
in America? Or that there are no buffets in other countries? Or,
no good buffets? What.

nancy
RMiller

>There is a very good Thai Sunday brunch buffet here in Chicago (there are
>many, actually), but a few years back we just stopped going. The food is
>great, fresh, and varied, but the behavior of some of the "diners" turned me
>off. One guy took a *whole* newly - replenished platter of rock lobster
>tails and dumped them on his plate...there were kids running around putting
>their grimy fingers in the food (some of the adults did this, too)...people
>with truly piggish table manners....
>
>I won't tell you the squicky things I've seen at places like Olde Kuntry
>Boofay and the like...gross!
>
>No more buffets for me.
>
>Besides which, when I go out to eat I want to be served at the table.
>Hundreds of days of the year I have a buffet - it's called "Greg's
>Kitchen"...lol. Wanna give my gams a break!
>
>I do sometimes go to a local place for all - you - can - eat fish n' chips
>on Fridays and Wednesdays. But they serve you, so that's acceptable to
>me....
>
>--
>Best
>Greg>

Do you believe it is just concidence that a buffet and a trough look very much
alike ???

Rosie

Nancy Young

Alex Rast wrote:

> I can understand why they have the
> slicers - if everyone took the massive amounts of meat, that would pretty
> much kill their price structure - but I suggest an alternative - a tiered
> price structure whereby if you wanted all-you-can-eat on the meat, you paid
> commensurately more.

There's an idea I can get behind. I never get my money's worth at
a buffet, I wouldn't mind if I could only go up once, fill up my
plate and that's it, for a lower price. Of course, it would be a
logistical nightmare to keep track of.

I just remembered a buffet I used to go to ... they had it every
Friday night, and they called it a smorgasbord. Not a sneeze guard
in sight. One of the swankiest restaurants in these parts. Wonder
if they still have that. At any rate, the food and service was top
notch. I always ended dinner with a big pile of strawberries
Romanoff.

Speaking of sneeze guards, I wonder just how well they work. For
instance, the other day I decided I would like to make tacos for
dinner, but I really didn't feel like buying a ton of lettuce.
So I went to the salad bar and got some, then got some other salad
stuff. Well, if I wanted to get something from the back of the
thing, I had to stick my head under the sneeze guard to reach it.
No, I did not sneeze. But you get what I'm saying. Stupid thing
was in my way.

nancy
Julia Altshuler

Dimitri wrote:

> Sunday Brunch at The Ritz-Carlton, Coconut Grove is served from 11:30 a.m.
> to 3 p.m. and is $45 for adults; $25 for children under 12. Reservations can
> be made by calling 305-644-4670. The hotel is located at 3300 S.W. 27th
> Avenue, in the heart of Miami's most historic bay front neighborhood.

So that's 27th Avenue and Bayshore Drive? Or corner Tigertail? Or
Bird? I lived in a little apartment on 27th Ave and Bird Road from
1985-1993 and can't remember my old address to save me. I haven't been
back to Miami in ages and am trying to figure out where the Ritz-Carlton
is. I was there long enough to see the townhouses that got put up when
my apartment was torn down (and think of my old dog buried in the
backyard there).

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Nancy Young wrote:
> Alex Rast wrote:
>

>> I can understand why they have the
>>slicers - if everyone took the massive amounts of meat, that would pretty
>>much kill their price structure - but I suggest an alternative - a tiered
>>price structure whereby if you wanted all-you-can-eat on the meat, you paid
>>commensurately more.

> There's an idea I can get behind. I never get my money's worth at
> a buffet, I wouldn't mind if I could only go up once, fill up my
> plate and that's it, for a lower price. Of course, it would be a
> logistical nightmare to keep track of.

I eat often at a Brazillian cafeteria. You serve yourself from the
steam table and cold table, take your plate over to the skewers line and
get served roast beef, chicken, and/or sausage from the man in front of
the fire, then place your plate on a scale and get a check from the lady
who also gets drinks from the fridge behind her. For people who want no
meat at all, there's a lower per pound price.

I think this could work at a buffet. Two prices. One is for all you
can eat of everything offered. The other is all you can eat of
everything except the expensive items on the special table.

--Lia

Bob Westcott > wrote:
> <pulling on the extra heavy duty asbestos britches here>

> OK.... all I'm gonna say is that buffets are merely the result of the
> average American's desire for quantity over quality.

You should get out of the habit of generalizing. There are plenty of
lousy buffets, just as there are plenty of lousy full service restaurants.
There are also many buffets where the food is superb. One example that's
sort of near where I live is Miller's which is in Lancaster, PA. Miller's
buffet serves only home made items, and most of the items on the buffet
there are Pennsylvania Dutch foods.

RMiller > wrote:

> Do you believe it is just concidence that a buffet and a trough look very much
> alike ???

So? The dish my cat eats out of looks a lot like the dishes I eat out
of. What's your point?