Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buffets??

Like 'em or hate 'em?

They always give me gas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

Try to get you're money's worth do you?

--
Dimitri

Soy & Vegetables

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 28, 8:37 am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

There's more than one kind. For example, I've enjoyed a buffet at a
nice large hotel hosting a business conference. They can do a buffet
as a way of efficiently offering a wide array of good food to a large
group of people. The buffet will be adequately staffed to respond to
people's needs and the food will be well presented and replenished as
needed. Roasts and hams will be carved to order.

And I've liked breakfast buffets at resort hotels with a variety of
things laid out, toasters at the ready, and eggs-to-order stations.

The inexpensive, all you can eat, quantity vs. quality type buffets
have never tempted us. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

I have come to the conclusion that they are not all they are cracked up to
be. You never eat enough to make it 'worth your while' and if you attempted
to, whatever you had planned for the next couple of hours is compromised
because you are too bloated/sick/uncomfortable to enjoy it.... Besides, look
around at the majority of the other patrons....no usually the most sanitary
bunch and then look at yourself.....do you want to eat what these people
have been handling? sneezing over? talking and spitting out food over? (the
ones who eat while they are loading the plate and continue to talk to their
friends the whold while spewing half chewed food).... Most of the items are
loss leaders, meaning that they were dirt cheap to make in order to get you
to pig out on them with way too little of 'quality' items....'ummmm, we'll
put out more roast pig in a hour or so...' in order to meet the profit
margin.

Buffets, thanks but no thanks. Now to beg the question a bit further? Your
worst buffet experience? I have one, but I want to see what others post
before I say and put people off their feedbags for an hour or so.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 9:37*am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

I live an hour's drive away from medical appointments and any special
shopping, so a girlfriend and I usually a good part of one whole day
for trips there (Palm Springs area). She is severely diabetic and has
to eat far more regularly than do I, and most trips we choose to have
lunch or dinner at either Hometown Buffet or Sizzler's. This choice
is made so that each of us can pick and choose whatever we care to.
If you are referring to places that may be the all-you-can-eat sort,
it seems that whatever particular servings you choose to eat is what
is giving you a gastric problem, though certainly not every dish that
may be offered. Choose differently or try Beano or most any quite
small, generic, common acid reduction tablet before you eat?
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 11:37*am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

The last really nice buffet I went to was at the Hotel IC in Chicago.
It was breakfast. When you're out of town, you have to eat out, and at
about $20, this was far better than paying $7-10 for one plate of
breakfast-type foods.

Lots of fresh berries were involved.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:

> The last really nice buffet I went to was at the Hotel IC in Chicago.
> It was breakfast. When you're out of town, you have to eat out, and at
> about $20, this was far better than paying $7-10 for one plate of
> breakfast-type foods.
>
> Lots of fresh berries were involved.

Breakfast buffets can be pretty good. They had great ones in hotels in
Europe. The best were in Denmark and in Bavaria. They had a great
selection of high quality mets, cheeses, cold cuts breads rolls and
pastries. The worst have been in Canada and the US. I am not a big
breakfast person, so all-you-can-eat craps is not a good deal for me,
but if there is a good selection of good food I can enjoy a good feed of
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
>> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>>
>> They always give me gas.

> Try to get you're money's worth do you?

Rule of thumb:

Good Food is never too expensive.

Bad Food is always too expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 12:29*pm, PickyJaz > wrote:
> On Oct 28, 9:37*am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> > They always give me gas.

> I live an hour's drive away from medical appointments and any special
> shopping, so a girlfriend and I usually a good part of one whole day
> for trips there (Palm Springs area). *She is severely diabetic and has
> to eat far more regularly than do I, and most trips we choose to have
> lunch or dinner at either Hometown Buffet or Sizzler's. *This choice
> is made so that each of us can pick and choose whatever we care to.
> If you are referring to places that may be the all-you-can-eat sort,
> it seems that whatever particular servings you choose to eat is what
> is giving you a gastric problem, though certainly not every dish that
> may be offered. *Choose differently or try Beano or most any quite
> small, generic, common acid reduction tablet before you eat?
> ...Picky

LOL......did your hair ruffle when that flew over your head?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> > Like 'em or hate 'em?
> >
> > They always give me gas.

> Try to get you're money's worth do you?

That's why I don't eat at buffets, unless
someone else is paying for it. I figure
the fat people are being subsidized by the
thin, so I'm getting the worse end of the
deal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> There's more than one kind. For example, I've enjoyed a buffet at a
> nice large hotel hosting a business conference. They can do a buffet
> as a way of efficiently offering a wide array of good food to a large
> group of people. The buffet will be adequately staffed to respond to
> people's needs and the food will be well presented and replenished as
> needed. Roasts and hams will be carved to order.
>
> And I've liked breakfast buffets at resort hotels with a variety of
> things laid out, toasters at the ready, and eggs-to-order stations.
>
> The inexpensive, all you can eat, quantity vs. quality type buffets
> have never tempted us. -aem

Agreed. Too many buffets look like someone has been in a food
fight after just a few people have gone through the line.

I'd rather see a lot less quantity of food, replenished more often.

The most gorgeous buffet I have ever seen (and the tastiest) was
lunch at Bluebeard's Castle in ST. Thomas, V.I. in about 1964.
Among all the "required" stuff, the fruit was incredibly good and
arranged like art.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> Like 'em or hate 'em?

Not a big fan. I'll do an Asian buffet for lunch once in a blue moon
maybe, but breakfast or dinner buffets are never a good deal and
hold no appeal. I'll go if I'm with a group and that's where they
want to go, but to me it's usually more expensive than a decent local
restaurant where you get served. I've been to buffets with good
food and selection, especially for things like receptions and large
functions, but the commercial all-you-can-eat type restaurants where
I'm paying for it do no give me my money's worth because I don't eat
like a teenager any more.

> They always give me gas.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Buffets, thanks but no thanks. Now to beg the question a bit further? Your
> worst buffet experience? I have one, but I want to see what others post
> before I say and put people off their feedbags for an hour or so.
> -ginny

My late step-father-in-law (a poster child for growing up in the
Depression) adored buffets, particularly one close to their home,
Country Buffet.

We used to argue with him about how unhealthy the food was:
("John, it's nothing but sugar, salt, and grease!") but he was
unconvinced. When we were visiting once he insisted on going
there. He raved about the French Onion Soup so I served myself a
cup of it. I watched it on the table as the fat rose to the
surface. By the time it was through rising, the cup contained
1/3 broth and onions on the bottom and 2/3 fat on top.

I think I ate only fruit salad on that occasion.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 11:37*am, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

There are excellent ones and then there are those that are nothing but
pig troughs. Unfortunately, you'll have to do the searching yourself.

And like others who have already posted, the gas problem seems to be a
personal problem and what you are choosing to eat on those buffets.
Perhaps it's over indulgence of too many selections?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Not a big fan. I'll do an Asian buffet for lunch once in a blue moon
> maybe, but breakfast or dinner buffets are never a good deal and
> hold no appeal.

I mentioned the European hotel breakfast buffets that were often
wonderful. While they were a little pricey, there was a wide variety of
really good food. It was way more that I should pay for the type of
breakfast I usually eat.... cereal and coffee... but I got my money's
worth and had enough good food to keep me going through to dinner.

They had wonderful cheeses, cold cuts, first class pastries and breads
along with eggs, bacon ham, fresh fruit and all sorts of other things,
all great.

OTOH... there are the North American buffets, which in my experience,
are a meagre assortment of cheap rolls or buns, bargain basement
croissants, plastic cheddar cheese and cold cuts, toaster waffles an
cheap syrup. I don't have alot of experience with them here because
those I have been to were se disappointing that I don't bother with them
here.

The all time worst breakfast buffet was at a Mexican place in Longmont
Colorado. All you can eat for $9.99....mushy fruit, cheap waffles and
syrup, fruit flavoured yogurt, ice cream. Yech.

I'll go if I'm with a group and that's where they
> want to go, but to me it's usually more expensive than a decent local
> restaurant where you get served. I've been to buffets with good
> food and selection, especially for things like receptions and large
> functions, but the commercial all-you-can-eat type restaurants where
> I'm paying for it do no give me my money's worth because I don't eat
> like a teenager any more.
>
>> They always give me gas.

> Sounds like a personal problem to me.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:
> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

It depends. My favorite is the buffet at the Rio in Las Vegas. The
last time I was there, all I ate was sushi and dessert.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One of the all time best buffets I was ever at was a Thanksgiving Buffet
at Pusser's in Annapolis. http://www.pussers.com/outposts/annapolis It
is part of the Marriott hotel on the downtown dock.

Had a relative who lived in Annapolis who didn't like to travel.. or
cook, so we had Thanksgiving Day dinner there a couple of times. It was
pricey, but they went all out for the holiday spread and every dish I
tried was excellent.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:37:22 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
>They always give me gas.

Hate them. To many fingers involved.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

I imagine it depends on what you eat. ;-)
I love a _good_ chinese buffet and am blessed with one locally.

NEVER gives me gas, but I don't stuff myself to where I can barely walk
either! <g>

Quality dear! Quality, not quantity!!!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 12:50*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:37:22 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>
> > wrote:
> >Like 'em or hate 'em?

> >They always give me gas.

> Hate them. *To many fingers involved.
>
> Lou

I'm not even going there....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> The all time worst breakfast buffet was at a Mexican place in Longmont
> Colorado. All you can eat for $9.99....mushy fruit, cheap waffles and
> syrup, fruit flavoured yogurt, ice cream. Yech.

Next time you are in CO for breakfast on a Sunday, try the
brunch buffet at the Broadmoor hotel in Colorado Springs.
It is pricey but incredibly good and varied.

Google Broadmoor Hotel Brunch for photos. There's one site
that ranks it as one of the 10 best in the country. That's not
hard to believe once you've tried it. One of the keys is that
there seem to be as many or more employees as guests in the room
and they are very well trained.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>>
>> They always give me gas.
>>

> It depends. My favorite is the buffet at the Rio in Las Vegas.

The BEST anywhere.

The worst? Golden Corral. Went once, NEVER again!!

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Chemo the Clown > posted:

> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

I've had some buffet foods. Sometimes I like them, sometimes not. One
thing I do like about buffets is that I can sample a wide variety of
foods. On the other hand, the quality is usually not all that great at
some of the buffets I've visited, such as Ryan's. And if I get something
I don't like, I feel sort of guilty if I get up to go get something else
without "cleaning my plate" of what I got on the first trip.

I'm less likely to overeat at a buffet because the food quality is usually
lower. If I order an entree, I'm more likely to cram to get it all down,
though in recent years, I've regained my instinct to know when I've had
enough. There's a definite window between hungry, satisfied, and
overstuffed. I can tell when that additional bite has passed the
satisfied state and gone into overeating, and it has become such a
powerful feeling that even when I first begin to take too many bites, I
start feeling nauseous pretty quickly, though not to the point where I
can't have a few small nibbles just to savor the tastes a little more.

Chinese buffets are funny. I don't like second-rate cuts of meat, so when
I get something like some fried chicken for sweet-and-sour chicken, and I
cut into it to find that it's mostly fat and gristle, I become annoyed and
want to go get something else. But then that guilt hits me. What will
the waiter think of me if I get up to go get something else before
cleaning my plate, especially when some buffets have signs that say that
you must clean your plate before going back for more.

I like Chinese food, but it's kind of hard to find a Chinese restaurant
around here that isn't a buffet. I do know of one "sit-down-and-wait"
Chinese restaurant about 50 miles away that was good 20 years ago, but I
haven't had the chance to go back. As far as Chinese food goes, though, I
mostly like fried rice with chicken and vegetables in it, and I can make
that at home:

Cold rice that has been cooked with 1 cup of chicken broth per cup of
rice, cubed white meat chicken, ginger, sesame oil, Mongolian fire oil,
soy sauce, frozen carrot cubes, frozen sweet peas, diced onion, black
pepper, red pepper flakes, dash of cayenne pepper. I like it kind of
spicy.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Van" > wrote in message

> "Becca" > wrote in message
>> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>>> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>>>
>>> They always give me gas.
>>>

>> It depends. My favorite is the buffet at the Rio in Las Vegas.

> The BEST anywhere.
>
> The worst? Golden Corral. Went once, NEVER again!!
>
> Van

Gotta agaree with this! We used to take hubby's grandfather out for dinner
once a week and he always had to go there so he could get his money's worth.
(I never understood that since we bought but whatever.) He barely ate a
single plate full though. As long as it made him happy.

You had to pick careful but you could get a not slop plate of food there.
Order a cooked to order steak and then just get a salad and veggies off the
buffet.

Skip the canned pudding though. <shudder>

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > posted:

> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> > Like 'em or hate 'em?
> >
> > They always give me gas.

> I have come to the conclusion that they are not all they are cracked up to
> be. You never eat enough to make it 'worth your while' and if you attempted
> to, whatever you had planned for the next couple of hours is compromised
> because you are too bloated/sick/uncomfortable to enjoy it.... Besides, look
> around at the majority of the other patrons....no usually the most sanitary
> bunch and then look at yourself.....do you want to eat what these people
> have been handling? sneezing over? talking and spitting out food over?

I kid you not, when I worked at Pizza Hut, we saw some guy use the tongs
off the salad bar to pick up a piece of broccoli and eat it right off the
bar, putting the tongs up to his lips to take a big bite out of it, much
like Eddie Murphy took a bite out of the tiny chicken leg in The Nutty
Professor. The shift manager said loudly, "Just take the broccoli to the
back and throw it away, then sanitize the tongs and container and refill
it."

And when I was a kid and Wendy's had salad bars, my dad went into Wendy's
and came out and said she saw a dirty old woman stick her finger in some
salad dressings to sample them before deciding which kind she wanted. He
said she dipped her finger, sucked the dressing off, then used the same
finger to sample other dressings.

So the thing about buffets is, you never really know what the food has
been through before you get to it. On the few occasions when I go to a
buffet, I just try to get what looks to be the most appetizing,
less-fondled, freshest foods.

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Virginia Tadrzynski" > posted:

> .no usually the most sanitary bunch and then look at yourself.....do
> you want to eat what these people have been handling? sneezing over?
> talking and spitting out food over? (the ones who eat while they are
> while spewing half chewed food)....

Some people have no couth when it comes to food. I remember being at a
small "fish fry" with my parents when they were having some company over.
It was just my parents, another couple, and me. I'm very nasty-nice when
it comes to food I'm going to eat, and the man-side of this other couple
took the fork he'd been eating with and while it was dripping with cole
slaw, he used that fork to stab some french fries out of the serving plate
and put them on his own plate. "No more fries for me," I thought. How
disgusting can someone be? He's had that fork in his masticating pie
hole, and then uses it to root around in food that others are going to
eat.

So that pretty much ruined dinner for me. I immediately got another
couple of pieces of fish before he decided to go after those, too, with
his contaminated fork.

Why didn't he hook a big stink nugget out of his ass with his finger, then
go dig around in the ice tray before refilling his tea glass? Seems like
that's about on the same level as what he did with his fork.

So... consider buffets. I've seen people ignore the rule that says you
should get a clean plate for each trip back to the bar. So they go pick
up the serving spoon and bang it against their plate, raking up all their
germs and slopping them back down in the pig trough.

So now, buffets are rare for me. My friend wanted to go try Ryan's again
after staying away from it for about five years since it was nasty the
last time he'd been. I warned him that I had just tried it several months
earlier and it was nasty, but he still wanted to have another try. He was
not impressed.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Ms P" > posted:

> "Van" > wrote in message
> >
> > The worst? Golden Corral. Went once, NEVER again!!

> Gotta agaree with this! We used to take hubby's grandfather out for
> dinner once a week and he always had to go there so he could get his
> money's worth. (I never understood that since we bought but
> whatever.) He barely ate a single plate full though. As long as it
> made him happy.

I don't like the Golden Corral buffet, but as a kid, my parents and I ate
there pretty regularly. We always ordered some kind of meat and a baked
potato, and I think that came with one trip to the salad bar. I always
got sirloin tips with onions and green peppers.

The thing I liked most about that arrangement is that if you ordered a
baked potato, you could go to the "potato bar" and get your toppings. I
liked that because their "cheese sauce" was good on a potato, so I got
that with what appeared to be margarine, along with sour cream and chives.
And I liked having a lot of cheese on mine. I liked the hot cheese
because the shredded cheese just made my potato too cold to enjoy.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like a buffet when I want to try a selection of foods with which I
am less familiar.

I really enjoy the Indian lunch buffet at MGR Palace. The reviewer
below thumbs her nose at the buffet, but that seems like an
affectation. I like to try lots of different things when I go
somewhere unusual to me. You get a big plate of fresh dosai brought
to the table when you order the buffet.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/restaur...=aa-movies-rtr

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 2:09*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:12:45 -0600, gloria.p wrote:
> > By the time it was through rising, the cup contained
> > 1/3 broth and onions on the bottom and 2/3 fat on top.

> That's just a little hard to believe. *Yet you seem to believe it.
>
> -sw

I was thinkin' the same thing.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Van" > wrote:

> "Becca" > wrote in message
> > Chemo the Clown wrote:
> >> Like 'em or hate 'em?
> >>
> >> They always give me gas.
> >>

> > It depends. My favorite is the buffet at the Rio in Las Vegas.

> The BEST anywhere.
>
> The worst? Golden Corral. Went once, NEVER again!!
>
> Van

<lol> There used to be one in town here, but it went out of business.
Locals nicked named it "Golden trough". ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Buffets, thanks but no thanks. Now to beg the question a bit
> further? Your worst buffet experience? I have one, but I want to see
> what others post before I say and put people off their feedbags for
> an hour or so. -ginny

Just from what you said, my worst won't be anywhere near as
bad as yours. I hardly ever eat at buffets so I don't have a lot
of experiences. Mostly I'm lazy, if I go out to eat I'm usually looking
for someone to bring me food.

Once I saw a guy sneeze into his hand then go over to the salad
bar and handle the utensils there. You know that happens all the
time, it's just when you see it, it kind of puts you off.

Other than that, I wound up at a buffet at a casino. I have a habit
of going places when they are closed, and it seems a lot of the
casino restaurants are closed on Tuesdays. It was tray after tray
of cheapo pasta type things, just filler and people were glomming
it like it was prime rib or something. I forget what it cost but it wasn't
worth it.

Most of the time the buffets I've been to are pretty nice to really nice.
I'll never get my money's worth at the really nice places, I can't eat
that much! Heh.

I didn't realize that chinese restaurants were so big on buffets. I've
only been to one place, it had a small buffet but the food was pretty
good. String beans, nice and fresh and not overcooking. Fried chicken
wings. Etc. It wasn't expensive but the food was very tasty. A good
value.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> I'd rather see a lot less quantity of food, replenished more often.
> gloria p

There's a small restaurant near us (Chinese) that has a small buffet at
lunch for $7. Maybe 10-12 items, refilled as needed.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> I'd rather see a lot less quantity of food, replenished more often.
>> gloria p

> There's a small restaurant near us (Chinese) that has a small buffet
> at lunch for $7. Maybe 10-12 items, refilled as needed.

Exactly the type of Chinese restaurant buffet I mentioned in
my post. A small number of items and they kept them filled.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

Then you are eating too fast or too much Or both...

Depends very much on the buffet. Have had some spectacular buffets laid
on at major conferences. One of the best was served at a radiation
safety course at a nuclear-power generating facility. And no, we didn't
glow in the dark afterwards Have had some very good breakfast buffets
in hotels in various places. Had some equally dire ones.

Also depends on the cuisine. Chinese buffets, though cheap and cheerful,
cannot be the best thing going. Stir-frys need to be served immediately
after preparation and don't benefit from sitting around. Ditto for
anything pasta.

Anything that can't tolerate being sat in a container on a steam table
won't make a good buffet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> > Like 'em or hate 'em?
> >
> > They always give me gas.

> I have come to the conclusion that they are not all they are cracked up to
> be. You never eat enough to make it 'worth your while' and if you attempted
> to, whatever you had planned for the next couple of hours is compromised
> because you are too bloated/sick/uncomfortable to enjoy it....

<snip>

> Buffets, thanks but no thanks. Now to beg the question a bit further? Your
> worst buffet experience? I have one, but I want to see what others post
> before I say and put people off their feedbags for an hour or so.
> -ginny

Got taken to a local buffet, 'home' cooking. Meant to be a treat.
Definitely the most disgusting food I've eaten prepared by supposedly
'professional' cooks. Have had worse meals, but those were made in
people's homes by noncooks

There were items that were just unidentifiable, even after taking a bite
or two. That's just wrong! Ate enough mystery meat in my life (school,
university, hospital meals), but can usually hazard a guess. Not this
time. Have never set foot in there since. Yet it's wildly popular and
has been there for years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Exactly the type of Chinese restaurant buffet I mentioned in
> my post. A small number of items and they kept them filled.

The Mandarin Chinese buffets, a chain in southern Ontario, has a wide
variety of Chinese and other foods. They put out only a small amount of
each and are constantly replacing it with more, freshly cooked stuff. I
used to go there with my mother because she loved it, though all she
would eat would be some chicken balls, fried rice and egg rolls. I
would have been happy to go to a regular Chinese restaurant and just
order a few dishes to share. Dinner for three would probably be just a
little more than the buffet price per person.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Exactly the type of Chinese restaurant buffet I mentioned in
>> my post. A small number of items and they kept them filled.

> The Mandarin Chinese buffets, a chain in southern Ontario, has a wide
> variety of Chinese and other foods. They put out only a small amount of
> each and are constantly replacing it with more, freshly cooked stuff. I
> used to go there with my mother because she loved it, though all she would
> eat would be some chicken balls, fried rice and egg rolls. I would have
> been happy to go to a regular Chinese restaurant and just order a few
> dishes to share. Dinner for three would probably be just a little more
> than the buffet price per person.

We eat there occasionally. Oddly enough, their roast beef and gravy are
very good. We go at the lunch price and get a senior discount. We're about
75 miles from the nearest one, but have a son who lives in the city and we
go there with him when we are in town. .......Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 28, 12:37*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> Like 'em or hate 'em?
>
> They always give me gas.

At home, we call it "buffet butt". I get the same effect at my
company's
holiday potluck.

I don't really like them. I prefer my food cooked fresh to order.
However, Indian food seems to suffer least from sitting on the
steam table; most of my buffet dining is the lunch buffet at a
local Indian restaurant.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>
>> Buffets, thanks but no thanks. Now to beg the question a bit
>> further? Your worst buffet experience? I have one, but I want to see
>> what others post before I say and put people off their feedbags for
>> an hour or so. -ginny

> Just from what you said, my worst won't be anywhere near as
> bad as yours. I hardly ever eat at buffets so I don't have a lot
> of experiences. Mostly I'm lazy, if I go out to eat I'm usually looking
> for someone to bring me food.
> Once I saw a guy sneeze into his hand then go over to the salad
> bar and handle the utensils there. You know that happens all the
> time, it's just when you see it, it kind of puts you off.
> Other than that, I wound up at a buffet at a casino. I have a habit
> of going places when they are closed, and it seems a lot of the casino
> restaurants are closed on Tuesdays. It was tray after tray of cheapo
> pasta type things, just filler and people were glomming it like it was
> prime rib or something. I forget what it cost but it wasn't
> worth it.
> Most of the time the buffets I've been to are pretty nice to really nice.
> I'll never get my money's worth at the really nice places, I can't eat
> that much! Heh.
> I didn't realize that chinese restaurants were so big on buffets. I've
> only been to one place, it had a small buffet but the food was pretty
> good. String beans, nice and fresh and not overcooking. Fried chicken
> wings. Etc. It wasn't expensive but the food was very tasty. A good
> value.
>
> nancy

Here goes. Batten down the hatches.
A new Chinese buffet opened near us in Allentown, PA (if you live near by
and want the particulars let me know). Five buffet stands not counting the
dessert one. Looked nice, food somewhat rotated when empty. Not anything
to really complain about on first glance. Ate dinner with spousal unit and
three kids. As per my usual constitution, I had to use the facilities
before we left. I go into the ladie's room and the smell and the flies that
hit you when you opened the door knocked you flat.....I did a quick look
around and exited quickly. I told spousal unit what I saw and asked him to
go to the men's room to see it was the same...he did, it was.

In the corner of the room was a cardboard box, flies swarming above it and a
sign that read....'We recycle, please put used paper in box as this saves us
water not to flush them'......they stated they were RECYCLING used TP and
CONSERVING water. Which to me meant they probably weren't washing their
hands either.....I definitely needed a restroom facility at that time, to
lose my lunch. The gas station bathroom was a welcome change!

They closed and then reopened under another name, but in passing, the same
people were running it. So, thanks, but no thanks.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:26:41 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Most of the time the buffets I've been to are pretty nice to really nice.
> I'll never get my money's worth at the really nice places, I can't eat
> that much! Heh.

that's my 'problem' as well. i would order half-portions almost everywhere
if they would let me.

your pal,
blake