Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Craving fruit

this is excellent advice, a food diary with bg is really helpful, as you
will se on this group if you read archives, some can tolerate small amounts
of potato while not tolerating bananas at all, and so on, Lee
"Janet" wrote in message
Kate wrote:

snip

What a neat group of educated folks here.

I spoke with my doc's nurse yesterday, and I will be going
back to see the doc the first week in January. I need to get all the
blood workup done again, and I am happy to do this.

For now, she does not recommend that I get a machine to test my BG
levels.
The worst part of all of this is that the tests will be performed
right after the holidays. Oh well, I am determined to eat better.

Thanks again.

Kate- Who is now down 6 lbs.

Kate, if you can afford to buy a WalMart meter and strips, I would
*consider* setting aside the nurse's advice, which is probably predicated
on the idea that "if the doctor didn't prescribe it, you don't need it."
It sounds like you may not in fact absolutely need it, but IMHO if you are
going to go through the trouble to seriously revamp your eating habits you
might as well really know what ou are dealing with--assuming that the cost
of a cheap WalMart meter and strips is not a problem for you. I also think
that meter results might help you get through the holidays eating
realistically. You would know what you really can eat, rather than feeling
helplessly that you "ought" to cut out this or that.

I can also contrast the feeling I had when first DXed of feeling helpless:
all food seemed like poison. What could I eat? What couldn't I eat? It was
so overwhelming. After I got my meter and started testing, I at least
could feel that I was proceding under my own control, no longer powerless.
There is a lot to be said for that.

I think it's great that your doctor is sufficiently proactive to give you
good advice about taking measures to stave off T2 before--hopefully--you
have a full-blown condition. As I and many others can testify, this
happens all-too infrequently.

In my small sample of one, I have found that those involved with diabetes
treatment and education seem to regard those of us who take our condition
into our own hands as almost unique. They seem to be accustomed to dealing
with those who are barely compliant, and often seem to tailor their advice
to that which they think the barely compliant may actually be willing to
do, which is understandable.

Ironically, in the middle of typing this post, the diabetes case manager
called to check in with me. She is very supportive, and made some good
suggestions about strategies for managing my desired increased carb
intake, addressing specific weightloss goals, etc. I asked her if, as I
have gotten the feeling, I am the exception amongst those she deals with,
and whether advice was often tailored to those who are, shall we say, less
compliant. She--very diplomatically--confirmed my impression. She said
that many people are simply overwhelmed, and seem to remain so even in the
longer term. It seems to be a combination of factors: some are of the
mindset that the doctor will fix any illness with a pill. Some don't seem
to take seriously the idea that uncontrolled BGs can result in blindness
and other complications. Many don't seem to believe that they can really
significantly control their own BGs and really can avoid complications if
they are willing to work on their eating and exercise habits.

It sounds as if you are planning to continue this course of action for
several months. I would suggest that if you are going to devote the effort
to changing your eating patterns--in a way that is, let's face it, not
convenient or particularly pleasant--and losing weight that you might as
well do it right: keep a detailed food diary accompanied by a record of BG
testing. If nothing else, after that time you will know what is really
happening with your body. I think it is always better to be armed with
knowledge.

BTW, what are you doing to lose weight? Have you adopted a particular
calorie target, have you upped your exercise, are you keeping a food
diary, etc? Do you have a rough weekly goal?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kate wrote:
: Now go get a machine ,I am resistant but with changes recovery time is
: much improved and don't miss most things at all ,I replace ketchup with
: caramelised oinions
:
: I am going to get a machine. Thanks. Then, I will need to read up on
: how to do it. From what I am reading, it sounds like I will need to
: test myself after every meal.

At first it is a good idea. Ultimaely you find, say what breakfasts are
good FOR YOU and need't test everytime you eat ne of them, but sould you
want to try something new, you might well want to test to see if it works.
Same for other meals. after a while you will have a fine stable of food
you can eat at luch or dinner and may well not need to test much.

God luck nd keep on trying and asking. don't b frad of it all. a few
mistakes will do you no long term harm.

Wendy
Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
Kate wrote:
Now go get a machine ,I am resistant but with changes recovery time
is much improved and don't miss most things at all ,I replace
ketchup with caramelised oinions

I am going to get a machine. Thanks. Then, I will need to read up
on how to do it. From what I am reading, it sounds like I will need
to test myself after every meal.

At first it is a good idea. Ultimaely you find, say what breakfasts
are good FOR YOU and need't test everytime you eat ne of them, but
sould you want to try something new, you might well want to test to
see if it works. Same for other meals. after a while you will have a
fine stable of food you can eat at luch or dinner and may well not
need to test much.

God luck nd keep on trying and asking. don't b frad of it all. a few
mistakes will do you no long term harm.

Wendy

People have all different schedules, but to get started you might consider
something like this:

When you get up in the morning before you eat or drink anything
One hour afer breakfast
Two hours after breakfast
Immediately before lunch
One hour after lunch
Two hours after lunch
Immediately before dinner
One hour after dinner
Two hours after dinner

If you do that for a few days it will give you a pretty good idea of what is
going with what you currently eat, your current BMI, etc. If it is difficult
for you to schedule all those tests in one day, do the lunch ones one day
and the dinner ones the next. I always have a problem because I tend to eat
dinner late and can't fit in two tests afterwards. G

If you then want to get scientific about it, you can start by establishing
readings for a lunch you often have, then add different foods. For example,
if you often eat 4 oz of grilled chicken and an apple and have tested that,
have canteloupe instead of the apple and see how you do. Next day try
carrots and low carb salad dressing as a dip with the chicken. And so forth.
If you do fine with the 15 gms of carb in the apple, add some carrots and
see how you do with 20 or 25 gms of carb with the chicken. Add some fat in
the form of mayo and make a chicken salad with apple, celery, and toasted
walnuts. And so forth.

It's enlessly amusing! (Yeah, right eyeroll) As they say, your body, your
science experiment. G

Old 09-10-2010, 12:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/8/2010 12:37 PM, Janet wrote:
W. Baker wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yikes, that is a lot of testing. Do you draw blood from different
fingers each time? This, I think, will take some getting used to.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: W. Baker wrote:
: wrote:
[...]

Yes it wll, but it eventually becomes kind of second nature. Don't use
alcohol swabs to clean your fingers, just wash your hands well in warm
soapy water. Easier on the fingertips and the warm water makes the blood
come out easier. It will be tricky at first, but you will find the best
fingers for you to use. Personally, I find that ring man and middle man
work best, with pinky easy to get blood form, but painful(for me) and
pointer kind of hard to puncture easily. Your fingers might well be
different. The best lane r that I know of is the sooftclix by AccuChek.
Yu o NOT have t change the lancet for each test, but do change it if it
seems to get dull enough to hurt too much. some in here jokingly say that
they change theirs every year on St. Swithins Day, but just do what makes
you feel comfortalbe. Only if you let someone else use your lancer do you
have to change the lance right away, both before and after they use it.

I believe tht Alan has a piece on one of his blogs about good lancing and
testing technique. I have been teting for some 14 years now and have
never had a really sore finger or an infection(knock on wood:-) I have
changed the lancet qite a few times in that period:-)

Wendy

Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I used to alternate fingers. Both sides of the finger on both hands. Never
the thumbs. My thumbs hurt too much to test there, but some people only use
their thumbs. These days I pretty much just use the pointers and sometimes
the pinkies. For some reason these bleed better for me.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
I believe tht Alan has a piece on one of his blogs about good lancing
and testing technique. I have been teting for some 14 years now and
have never had a really sore finger or an infection(knock on wood:-)
I have changed the lancet qite a few times in that period:-)

Wendy

When I started testing, I actually stabbed myself a few times quite
painfully in bad places--when changing the lancet! I yanked off the little
cap too abruptly and the rebound got me in a finger joint. I have learned
that easy does it. (I confess that when those little cups of coffee creamer
with tear off tops first appeared, I managed to spray myself with creamer
while trying to open them! Despite being such a klutz at times, I actually
do have quite good facility for detailed hand work, believe it or not. G)

Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
wrote:
[...]

More good info. It will be interesting as this is totally new to me.

Thank you.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
W. Baker wrote:
I believe tht Alan has a piece on one of his blogs about good lancing
and testing technique. I have been teting for some 14 years now and
have never had a really sore finger or an infection(knock on wood:-)
I have changed the lancet qite a few times in that period:-)

Wendy

When I started testing, I actually stabbed myself a few times quite
painfully in bad places--when changing the lancet! I yanked off the
little cap too abruptly and the rebound got me in a finger joint. I have
learned that easy does it. (I confess that when those little cups of
coffee creamer with tear off tops first appeared, I managed to spray
myself with creamer while trying to open them! Despite being such a klutz
at times, I actually do have quite good facility for detailed hand work,
believe it or not. G)

I HATE changing the lancet. I constantly stab myself when doing it and
often more than once.

After testing for a few weeks I realized that an old lancet was far less
painful than a new one. I used to change them daily as I was instructed to
do. My dad changes his each time. I just can't imagine how painful that
would be.

Now I keep using the same one until it starts to hurt again or until I can't
get a good drop of blood. This usually takes many months.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/9/2010 10:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
W. Baker wrote:
[...]

Julie, when i insert the new lancet into the lancing device, i leave the
security cap on

once the lancet is in position, i hold the base of the lancet and twist
of the cap

before i remove the OLD lancet, i recap it with the twist off cap that i
saved from when i last changed it

yes, i change my lancet once a year whether or not it needs to be

hope this helps!
kate

Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
W. Baker wrote:
[...]

When I try to recap is when I stick myself. I use the Bayer Contour meter.
The way they used to make the lancet caps made them easy to recap. The way
they make them now makes it easy to stick yourself.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily wrote:
Julie, when i insert the new lancet into the lancing device, i leave
the security cap on

once the lancet is in position, i hold the base of the lancet and
twist of the cap

So do I--but I still managed to stab myself. Unbeleivable klutz, I know. But
I haven't done it for months, so apparently my technique has improved. G

Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"[email protected]k" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 00:20:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

When I try to recap is when I stick myself. I use the Bayer Contour
meter.
The way they used to make the lancet caps made them easy to recap. The
way
they make them now makes it easy to stick yourself.

with the lancet still in the lancet device, grasp the lancet as close
to the base as possible, with the old cap lying on the table press the
point of the lancet into the plastic of the cap, forget trying to hit
the original hole.

Then just pull the old lancet out of the device.

Okay. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" wrote in message
wrote in message
W. Baker wrote:

When I try to recap is when I stick myself. I use the Bayer Contour
meter.
The way they used to make the lancet caps made them easy to recap. The
way
they make them now makes it easy to stick yourself.

I suspect you are plain inept

Nope.

craving meat elaine General Cooking 8 30-05-2006 07:09 PM
I've Got a Craving For... Chuck Kopsho General Cooking 6 23-12-2005 10:14 PM