Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Janet Janet is offline

Default Craving fruit

W. Baker wrote:
> Kate > wrote:
>>> Now go get a machine ,I am resistant but with changes recovery time
>>> is much improved and don't miss most things at all ,I replace
>>> ketchup with caramelised oinions
>>>

>> I am going to get a machine. Thanks. Then, I will need to read up
>> on how to do it. From what I am reading, it sounds like I will need
>> to test myself after every meal.

> At first it is a good idea. Ultimaely you find, say what breakfasts
> are good FOR YOU and need't test everytime you eat ne of them, but
> sould you want to try something new, you might well want to test to
> see if it works. Same for other meals. after a while you will have a
> fine stable of food you can eat at luch or dinner and may well not
> need to test much.
>
> God luck nd keep on trying and asking. don't b frad of it all. a few
> mistakes will do you no long term harm.
>
> Wendy

People have all different schedules, but to get started you might consider
something like this:

When you get up in the morning before you eat or drink anything
One hour afer breakfast
Two hours after breakfast
Immediately before lunch
One hour after lunch
Two hours after lunch
Immediately before dinner
One hour after dinner
Two hours after dinner

If you do that for a few days it will give you a pretty good idea of what is
going with what you currently eat, your current BMI, etc. If it is difficult
for you to schedule all those tests in one day, do the lunch ones one day
and the dinner ones the next. I always have a problem because I tend to eat
dinner late and can't fit in two tests afterwards. <G>

If you then want to get scientific about it, you can start by establishing
readings for a lunch you often have, then add different foods. For example,
if you often eat 4 oz of grilled chicken and an apple and have tested that,
have canteloupe instead of the apple and see how you do. Next day try
carrots and low carb salad dressing as a dip with the chicken. And so forth.
If you do fine with the 15 gms of carb in the apple, add some carrots and
see how you do with 20 or 25 gms of carb with the chicken. Add some fat in
the form of mayo and make a chicken salad with apple, celery, and toasted
walnuts. And so forth.

It's enlessly amusing! (Yeah, right <eyeroll>) As they say, your body, your
science experiment. <G>