Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Tiger Lily Tiger Lily is offline

Default Craving fruit

On 10/9/2010 10:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> W. Baker wrote:
>>> I believe tht Alan has a piece on one of his blogs about good lancing
>>> and testing technique. I have been teting for some 14 years now and
>>> have never had a really sore finger or an infection(knock on wood:-)
>>> I have changed the lancet qite a few times in that period:-)
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> When I started testing, I actually stabbed myself a few times quite
>> painfully in bad places--when changing the lancet! I yanked off the
>> little cap too abruptly and the rebound got me in a finger joint. I have
>> learned that easy does it. (I confess that when those little cups of
>> coffee creamer with tear off tops first appeared, I managed to spray
>> myself with creamer while trying to open them! Despite being such a klutz
>> at times, I actually do have quite good facility for detailed hand work,
>> believe it or not.<G>)

> I HATE changing the lancet. I constantly stab myself when doing it and
> often more than once.
>
> After testing for a few weeks I realized that an old lancet was far less
> painful than a new one. I used to change them daily as I was instructed to
> do. My dad changes his each time. I just can't imagine how painful that
> would be.
>
> Now I keep using the same one until it starts to hurt again or until I can't
> get a good drop of blood. This usually takes many months.

Julie, when i insert the new lancet into the lancing device, i leave the
security cap on

once the lancet is in position, i hold the base of the lancet and twist
of the cap

before i remove the OLD lancet, i recap it with the twist off cap that i
saved from when i last changed it

yes, i change my lancet once a year whether or not it needs to be

hope this helps!
kate