Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Craving fruit

I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the most I
seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section or two of
tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.

Very frustrating.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:25:43 -0400, "Janet" >
> wrote:
>
>> I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But
>> the most I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a
>> section or two of tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of
>> blueberries.
>>
>> Very frustrating.

> Accept your limits.
>
> Mine are similar - I cannot drink juice at all without spiking. I eat
> half-portions of fruits like oranges or apples as afternoon or evening
> 'tween-meal snacks. I can eat half a moderate paw-paw (ours are pretty
> big) with cream as a dessert but only if I wait couple of hours after
> dinner. The same limit applies to watermelon or rock-melon(cantelope).
>
> I can eat full fruits only with the smaller varieties, such as
> apricot, small mandarins, plums and similar.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> d & e; metformin 1500mg

It's this kind of thing that makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to use
insulin and be able to consume at least modest amounts of normal, healthy
food. Sigh.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
>It's this kind of thing that makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to use
>insulin and be able to consume at least modest amounts of normal, healthy
>food. Sigh.

I'm sticking by my wholesome, healthy food until I have no other option.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
>I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the most
>I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section or two of
>tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>
> Very frustrating.

When I was pregnant, I was craving fruit juice and punch all the time.
Normally I don't want that at all. I think it was due to high BG because I
hadn't yet been diagnosed with diabetes. Once I got my BG under control,
the cravings went away.

Perhaps you could try something like sugar free Tang, Crystal Light or one
of the other fruit flavored drinks. Or eat grapefruit.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Alan S wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:25:43 -0400, "Janet" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But
>>> the most I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a
>>> section or two of tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of
>>> blueberries.
>>>
>>> Very frustrating.

>> Accept your limits.
>>
>> Mine are similar - I cannot drink juice at all without spiking. I eat
>> half-portions of fruits like oranges or apples as afternoon or evening
>> 'tween-meal snacks. I can eat half a moderate paw-paw (ours are pretty
>> big) with cream as a dessert but only if I wait couple of hours after
>> dinner. The same limit applies to watermelon or rock-melon(cantelope).
>>
>> I can eat full fruits only with the smaller varieties, such as
>> apricot, small mandarins, plums and similar.
>>
>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>> d & e; metformin 1500mg

> It's this kind of thing that makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to
> use insulin and be able to consume at least modest amounts of normal,
> healthy food. Sigh.

I use insulin, but it doesn't allow me to eat any more carbs than I was
eating. And I gained weight to boot!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
>I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the most
>I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section or two of
>tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>
> Very frustrating.

Would it make you feel better to hear that I can only tolerate 1/4 c of
blueberries (and I won't eat them at all unless I'm at least under 110
first) or 1/4 of an apple? The apple is actually easier, I looked them both
up today and see that actually it has fewer carbs (in the serving sizes I am
using). Or I can have 1/2 a strawberry with about 2 bites worth of
watermelon.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the most
>>I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section or two of
>>tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>>
>> Very frustrating.

> When I was pregnant, I was craving fruit juice and punch all the time.
> Normally I don't want that at all. I think it was due to high BG because
> I hadn't yet been diagnosed with diabetes. Once I got my BG under
> control, the cravings went away.
>
> Perhaps you could try something like sugar free Tang, Crystal Light or one
> of the other fruit flavored drinks. Or eat grapefruit.

I have discovered sugar-free popsicles.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the most
>>I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section or two of
>>tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>>
>> Very frustrating.

> Would it make you feel better to hear that I can only tolerate 1/4 c of
> blueberries (and I won't eat them at all unless I'm at least under 110
> first) or 1/4 of an apple? The apple is actually easier, I looked them
> both up today and see that actually it has fewer carbs (in the serving
> sizes I am using). Or I can have 1/2 a strawberry with about 2 bites
> worth of watermelon.

I can eat seemingly unlimited amounts of strawberries with no problem. I
say seemingly because I don't really like them all that well that I would go
out of my way for them. And once I start eating them, I get to the point
where I don't want any more. This does not seem to be the case with most
people though. I have seen others easily eat two or three bowls (soup/salad
size) and that is more than I would ever want. But recently I bought a
medium sized container and ate half of them with some cottage cheese. BG
was fine. I can also do an apple or pear or a serving of applesauce or
canned pears. However, it is rare for me to want them so I don't eat them
often.

One thing Angela loves is drinkable applesauce. There is only one store
that sells it around here and I think it comes from some other country like
maybe Holland or Sweden. I can't remember. It looks sort of like a juice
pouch. It has a cap on it that you unscrew and then there is a sort of
tube/spout thing for drinking it. There is no sugar added and I think one
pouch only has 9 grams of carb. I can easily do one of these as a snack and
they are very portable.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>>I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the
>>>most I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section or
>>>two of tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>>>
>>> Very frustrating.

>> When I was pregnant, I was craving fruit juice and punch all the time.
>> Normally I don't want that at all. I think it was due to high BG because
>> I hadn't yet been diagnosed with diabetes. Once I got my BG under
>> control, the cravings went away.
>>
>> Perhaps you could try something like sugar free Tang, Crystal Light or
>> one of the other fruit flavored drinks. Or eat grapefruit.

> I have discovered sugar-free popsicles.

I ate those when I was pregnant. But... I believe they contain sorbitol or
another sugar alcohol and that is a problem for me. Plus I don't usually
like frozen things. However, we were living on Cape Cod when I was pregnant
and it got very hot and humid there during the summer. I used to get some
frozen pops called Trix. They had three flavors to them. I remember
sitting out on our patio in the shade of the evening and eating those things
trying to cool off. Then when my husband came home (he was out to sea), I
demanded an air conditioner.

We bought a small window unit, put it in the spare bedroom and I just moved
in there. Too bad we couldn't get it to work in this house. There have
been times when it would have been nice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message

>>> When I was pregnant, I was craving fruit juice and punch all the time.
>>> Normally I don't want that at all. I think it was due to high BG
>>> because I hadn't yet been diagnosed with diabetes. Once I got my BG
>>> under control, the cravings went away.
>>>
>>> Perhaps you could try something like sugar free Tang, Crystal Light or
>>> one of the other fruit flavored drinks. Or eat grapefruit.

>> I have discovered sugar-free popsicles.

> I ate those when I was pregnant. But... I believe they contain sorbitol
> or another sugar alcohol and that is a problem for me.

I think they do contain a sugar alcohol, I finished the box a couple of days
ago, when I get more I will check the label and try to remember to report
back.

> Plus I don't usually like frozen things.

I would rather have ice cream as a summer treat, but I have to wait 6 hours
after meat to eat dairy, whereas the sugar-free popsicles don't contain any
dairy. I wish there were a non-dairy low-carb fake ice cream. Maybe one
of these days I'll get ambitious and see what I can mix up using soft tofu
as a base.

However, we were living on Cape Cod when I was pregnant
> and it got very hot and humid there during the summer. I used to get some
> frozen pops called Trix. They had three flavors to them. I remember
> sitting out on our patio in the shade of the evening and eating those
> things trying to cool off. Then when my husband came home (he was out to
> sea), I demanded an air conditioner.
>
> We bought a small window unit, put it in the spare bedroom and I just
> moved in there. Too bad we couldn't get it to work in this house. There
> have been times when it would have been nice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I have discovered sugar-free popsicles.

>> I ate those when I was pregnant. But... I believe they contain sorbitol
>> or another sugar alcohol and that is a problem for me.

> I think they do contain a sugar alcohol, I finished the box a couple of
> days ago, when I get more I will check the label and try to remember to
> report back.
>
>> Plus I don't usually like frozen things.

> I would rather have ice cream as a summer treat, but I have to wait 6
> hours after meat to eat dairy, whereas the sugar-free popsicles don't
> contain any dairy. I wish there were a non-dairy low-carb fake ice cream.
> Maybe one of these days I'll get ambitious and see what I can mix up using
> soft tofu as a base.

I can't stand ice cream. Never could. I can remember going to the dentist
in Wichita when we lived there. I just dreaded it. Not the dentist
himself. But he gave us coupons for free ice cream because there was an ice
cream shop at the bottom of the building he was in. My parents just love
ice cream and would always take us there afterwards and I would always be
told to finish mine. My brother always got Rocky Road which horrified me
because I hated marshmallows. He used to eat his but now I find out he
never liked ice cream either. Now at birthday parties, neither of us will
eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ingredient list for sugar-free popsicles

These are the Popsicle brand:

water, glycerine, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, aspartame, natural
and artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium, locust bean gum, ascorbic
acid, red 40, yellow 6, blue 1.

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I have discovered sugar-free popsicles.

>> I ate those when I was pregnant. But... I believe they contain sorbitol
>> or another sugar alcohol and that is a problem for me.

> I think they do contain a sugar alcohol, I finished the box a couple of
> days ago, when I get more I will check the label and try to remember to
> report back.
>
>> Plus I don't usually like frozen things.

> I would rather have ice cream as a summer treat, but I have to wait 6
> hours after meat to eat dairy, whereas the sugar-free popsicles don't
> contain any dairy. I wish there were a non-dairy low-carb fake ice cream.
> Maybe one of these days I'll get ambitious and see what I can mix up using
> soft tofu as a base.
>
> However, we were living on Cape Cod when I was pregnant
>> and it got very hot and humid there during the summer. I used to get
>> some frozen pops called Trix. They had three flavors to them. I
>> remember sitting out on our patio in the shade of the evening and eating
>> those things trying to cool off. Then when my husband came home (he was
>> out to sea), I demanded an air conditioner.
>>
>> We bought a small window unit, put it in the spare bedroom and I just
>> moved in there. Too bad we couldn't get it to work in this house. There
>> have been times when it would have been nice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> These are the Popsicle brand:
>
> water, glycerine, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, aspartame, natural
> and artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium, locust bean gum, ascorbic
> acid, red 40, yellow 6, blue 1.

Thanks! One reason I dislike them is that there are assorted flavors in the
box. No matter what kind I buy, there is always that one flavor nobody
likes. Grape is one such flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>> These are the Popsicle brand:
>>
>> water, glycerine, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, aspartame, natural
>> and artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium, locust bean gum, ascorbic
>> acid, red 40, yellow 6, blue 1.

> Thanks! One reason I dislike them is that there are assorted flavors in
> the box. No matter what kind I buy, there is always that one flavor
> nobody likes. Grape is one such flavor.

I currently have a box of 24, previously I had a box of 12, the flavors that
come in each of those are orange, cherry, grape. I didn't think I would
like the grape but actually it's fine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>>> These are the Popsicle brand:
>>>
>>> water, glycerine, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, aspartame,
>>> natural and artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium, locust bean gum,
>>> ascorbic acid, red 40, yellow 6, blue 1.

>> Thanks! One reason I dislike them is that there are assorted flavors in
>> the box. No matter what kind I buy, there is always that one flavor
>> nobody likes. Grape is one such flavor.

> I currently have a box of 24, previously I had a box of 12, the flavors
> that come in each of those are orange, cherry, grape. I didn't think I
> would like the grape but actually it's fine.

We all like the cherry, but not much else. Nobody will eat the grape at
all. Grape used to be my favorite flavor as a child. But I was very ill as
a teen and unable to keep anything down. The Dr. told my mom to give me
whatever I wanted to drink so I wouldn't get dehydrated. I wanted grape
juice. The purple stuff. It tasted so good, I swigged down the big glass
she gave me and up it came. Since then just the smell of anything grape
puts me off.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

would almond breeze work as the base, Lee
"Ellen K." > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I have discovered sugar-free popsicles.

>> I ate those when I was pregnant. But... I believe they contain sorbitol
>> or another sugar alcohol and that is a problem for me.

> I think they do contain a sugar alcohol, I finished the box a couple of
> days ago, when I get more I will check the label and try to remember to
> report back.
>
>> Plus I don't usually like frozen things.

> I would rather have ice cream as a summer treat, but I have to wait 6
> hours after meat to eat dairy, whereas the sugar-free popsicles don't
> contain any dairy. I wish there were a non-dairy low-carb fake ice cream.
> Maybe one of these days I'll get ambitious and see what I can mix up using
> soft tofu as a base.
>
> However, we were living on Cape Cod when I was pregnant
>> and it got very hot and humid there during the summer. I used to get
>> some frozen pops called Trix. They had three flavors to them. I
>> remember sitting out on our patio in the shade of the evening and eating
>> those things trying to cool off. Then when my husband came home (he was
>> out to sea), I demanded an air conditioner.
>>
>> We bought a small window unit, put it in the spare bedroom and I just
>> moved in there. Too bad we couldn't get it to work in this house. There
>> have been times when it would have been nice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thats a migraine for me, bummer, popcicles are one of the very few frozen
thngs i do like, Lee
"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> These are the Popsicle brand:
>
> water, glycerine, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, aspartame, natural
> and artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium, locust bean gum, ascorbic
> acid, red 40, yellow 6, blue 1.
>

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message

>>> I ate those when I was pregnant. But... I believe they contain
>>> sorbitol or another sugar alcohol and that is a problem for me.

>> I think they do contain a sugar alcohol, I finished the box a couple of
>> days ago, when I get more I will check the label and try to remember to
>> report back.
>>
>>> Plus I don't usually like frozen things.

>> I would rather have ice cream as a summer treat, but I have to wait 6
>> hours after meat to eat dairy, whereas the sugar-free popsicles don't
>> contain any dairy. I wish there were a non-dairy low-carb fake ice
>> cream. Maybe one of these days I'll get ambitious and see what I can mix
>> up using soft tofu as a base.
>>
>> However, we were living on Cape Cod when I was pregnant
>>> and it got very hot and humid there during the summer. I used to get
>>> some frozen pops called Trix. They had three flavors to them. I
>>> remember sitting out on our patio in the shade of the evening and eating
>>> those things trying to cool off. Then when my husband came home (he was
>>> out to sea), I demanded an air conditioner.
>>>
>>> We bought a small window unit, put it in the spare bedroom and I just
>>> moved in there. Too bad we couldn't get it to work in this house.
>>> There have been times when it would have been nice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

when i was testing bg every day, it seemed so odd to me that fruit in its
natural state and some juices don't bother me at all, but bread is a big
deal, so this just proves to me how very individual food compatability is,
Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>>I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the
>>>most I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section or
>>>two of tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>>>
>>> Very frustrating.

>> Would it make you feel better to hear that I can only tolerate 1/4 c of
>> blueberries (and I won't eat them at all unless I'm at least under 110
>> first) or 1/4 of an apple? The apple is actually easier, I looked them
>> both up today and see that actually it has fewer carbs (in the serving
>> sizes I am using). Or I can have 1/2 a strawberry with about 2 bites
>> worth of watermelon.

> I can eat seemingly unlimited amounts of strawberries with no problem. I
> say seemingly because I don't really like them all that well that I would
> go out of my way for them. And once I start eating them, I get to the
> point where I don't want any more. This does not seem to be the case with
> most people though. I have seen others easily eat two or three bowls
> (soup/salad size) and that is more than I would ever want. But recently I
> bought a medium sized container and ate half of them with some cottage
> cheese. BG was fine. I can also do an apple or pear or a serving of
> applesauce or canned pears. However, it is rare for me to want them so I
> don't eat them often.
>
> One thing Angela loves is drinkable applesauce. There is only one store
> that sells it around here and I think it comes from some other country
> like maybe Holland or Sweden. I can't remember. It looks sort of like a
> juice pouch. It has a cap on it that you unscrew and then there is a sort
> of tube/spout thing for drinking it. There is no sugar added and I think
> one pouch only has 9 grams of carb. I can easily do one of these as a
> snack and they are very portable.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
>I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the most
>I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section or two of
>tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>
> Very frustrating.

I can eat just about any fruit, but I put emphasis on berries and
cantaloupe. I *never* drink *any* fruit juice. The whole fruit is much
better for us, and you may find that it would also improve your BG if you
eliminate that.

MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

MaryL wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But
>> the most I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a
>> section or two of tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of
>> blueberries. Very frustrating.
>>

> I can eat just about any fruit, but I put emphasis on berries and
> cantaloupe. I *never* drink *any* fruit juice. The whole fruit is
> much better for us, and you may find that it would also improve your
> BG if you eliminate that.
>
> MaryL

Thanks. I haven't had fruit juice since diagnosis. I still want it, though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> MaryL wrote:
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>> I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But
>>> the most I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a
>>> section or two of tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of
>>> blueberries. Very frustrating.
>>>

>> I can eat just about any fruit, but I put emphasis on berries and
>> cantaloupe. I *never* drink *any* fruit juice. The whole fruit is
>> much better for us, and you may find that it would also improve your
>> BG if you eliminate that.
>>
>> MaryL

> Thanks. I haven't had fruit juice since diagnosis. I still want it,
> though.

I have grapefruit sometimes. And maybe once or twice a year I have
strawberries. Occasionally I have unsweetened apple sauce, some apple
slices or canned pears. But most of the time I can live without fruit.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/5/2010 4:45 PM, MaryL wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the
>> most I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section
>> or two of tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>>
>> Very frustrating.
>>

> I can eat just about any fruit, but I put emphasis on berries and
> cantaloupe. I *never* drink *any* fruit juice. The whole fruit is much
> better for us, and you may find that it would also improve your BG if
> you eliminate that.
>
> MaryL

My numbers are close to being a diabetic, or so my doc says.

I did post here a few days ago.

I have dropped five pounds, and am trying hard to get my glucose level
down, which is at 101.

Can you please tell me if I can eat any and all the fruit I want, or is
this too much sugar? My doc did say to stay away from fruit juice.
I like Seltzer Water so this is not a problem for me.

I tend to have a sweet tooth, and just purchased a box of very thin
cookies called "Ginger Thins", from COSTCO. I am not too savvy about
how to read the nutritional facts, but from what I can tell, if I eat
just three of these cookies, it would amount to 9g of carbohydrate and
..84g of sugar. The total calories is 74, and there is no cholesterol.

If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get in
the mood for a light dessert.

Is this correct?

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I can.

Kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Kate" > wrote in message
> On 10/5/2010 4:45 PM, MaryL wrote:
>>
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>> I find that I am craving fruit and fruit juice more and more. But the
>>> most I seem to be able to tolerate is 1/2 cup of melon, or a section
>>> or two of tangerine, or half an apple, or 1/3 cup of blueberries.
>>>
>>> Very frustrating.
>>>

>> I can eat just about any fruit, but I put emphasis on berries and
>> cantaloupe. I *never* drink *any* fruit juice. The whole fruit is much
>> better for us, and you may find that it would also improve your BG if
>> you eliminate that.
>>
>> MaryL

> My numbers are close to being a diabetic, or so my doc says.
>
> I did post here a few days ago.
>
> I have dropped five pounds, and am trying hard to get my glucose level
> down, which is at 101.
>
> Can you please tell me if I can eat any and all the fruit I want, or is
> this too much sugar? My doc did say to stay away from fruit juice.
> I like Seltzer Water so this is not a problem for me.
>
> I tend to have a sweet tooth, and just purchased a box of very thin
> cookies called "Ginger Thins", from COSTCO. I am not too savvy about how
> to read the nutritional facts, but from what I can tell, if I eat just
> three of these cookies, it would amount to 9g of carbohydrate and .84g of
> sugar. The total calories is 74, and there is no cholesterol.
>
> If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get in
> the mood for a light dessert.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I can.

There is no one answer that applies to all of us.

Your BG is not 101. It was 101 at the time you were tested. You don't know
what it is now. You need a meter. There's your answer. The meter would
tell you whether you could eat whatever it is or not. But chances are those
cookies would never make a great snack.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kate wrote:
> My numbers are close to being a diabetic, or so my doc says.
>
> I did post here a few days ago.
>
> I have dropped five pounds, and am trying hard to get my glucose level
> down, which is at 101.
>
> Can you please tell me if I can eat any and all the fruit I want, or
> is this too much sugar?

No, you probably cannot eat any and all fruit. It can be too much sugar for
a person with BG issues. Firstly, check out the lists of fruits that have a
low glycemic load, and what the net carb count per serving is, and what size
the serving is. Armed with that information, I would suggest that you aim at
a net carb count from all sources of about 15 gms per meal or snack, and see
how that works for you. It is best for BG control to combine those carbs
with some protein and/or fat, rather than have the carbs alone. So, rather
than eating a whole apple for a snack (a 100 gm apple has about 15 gms net
carb), you might try eating half an apple sliced, with 2 *measured* TBs of
*natural* peanut butter spread on the slices. (Personally I love Teddie
Super Chunk, and had switched to it long before diagnosis.) Or eat a whole
apple for lunch with a grilled chicken breast, or something else you like.

And of course to really know what is going on it is best if you test your
BGs at least at one and two hours after eating such a snack or meal to see
how it works for you. If you aren't testing, it is basically impossible to
tell how your system tolerates that specific food. Unfortunately, we all
seem to be different, so although recommendations like "exchanges" can be a
decent guideline to start with, only your meter can tell you the real truth.

I realize that you are undertaking a "prevention" campaign in hopes of
avoiding T2, and probably don't have a meter. I think what you are doing is
exactly right for your circumstances, so following the 15 gms/low glycemic
load standard will probably be good enough for your purposes, and fit in
with your weight loss program.

> My doc did say to stay away from fruit juice.
> I like Seltzer Water so this is not a problem for me.

Good. Fruit juice is like mainlining sugar. I was drinking diet sprite mixed
with some orange juice with calcium before DX. I had observed that it seemed
to cause this incredible craving/thirst/urination cycle, but didn't connect
the dots until after DX. You probably wouldn't have such an extreme effect,
but better to eat whole fruits than juice. For one thing, it's more filling!

> I tend to have a sweet tooth, and just purchased a box of very thin
> cookies called "Ginger Thins", from COSTCO. I am not too savvy about
> how to read the nutritional facts, but from what I can tell, if I eat
> just three of these cookies, it would amount to 9g of carbohydrate and
> .84g of sugar. The total calories is 74, and there is no cholesterol.
>
> If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get
> in the mood for a light dessert.
>
> Is this correct?

Sounds like it. But again, better as part of a meal than alone as a snack.

> Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I
> can.
> Kate

No question is dumb except the unasked question. <G>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

atec77 wrote:

>>> I can eat just about any fruit, but I put emphasis on berries and
>>> cantaloupe. I *never* drink *any* fruit juice. The whole fruit is
>>> much better for us, and you may find that it would also improve your
>>> BG if you eliminate that.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Thanks. I haven't had fruit juice since diagnosis. I still want it,
>> though.

> I take a 1/2 glass of jiuce each morning with my phylium hulls and
> glycusomine , much easier to swallow and the benifits outweighs any
> potentual problems

Hey, to each his own. But I'm curious: what is your BG reading after
drinking that juice?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kate > wrote:
: >
: > I can eat just about any fruit, but I put emphasis on berries and
: > cantaloupe. I *never* drink *any* fruit juice. The whole fruit is much
: > better for us, and you may find that it would also improve your BG if
: > you eliminate that.
: >
: > MaryL

: My numbers are close to being a diabetic, or so my doc says.

: I did post here a few days ago.

: I have dropped five pounds, and am trying hard to get my glucose level
: down, which is at 101.

Good for you on the weight loss. Just one point, glocose readings are not
stable and move about durig the daay depepnding on all kinds of things
largely wht we et and how much we move. You had a single reding at the
doctor's office of 101, but that is not wht you will have all day long.
Different foods and the time of day , etc will all effet those numbers.
Tht ws why several people suggested you get a cheap meter like the Walmart
Relion and it's less expensive stirps to see just what your body is doing
with the food you eat.

: Can you please tell me if I can eat any and all the fruit I want, or is
: this too much sugar? My doc did say to stay away from fruit juice.
: I like Seltzer Water so this is not a problem for me.

Good! Juice is like drining fast sugar. I use ( as I just wrote in a
post) the Crystal Light Classic Orange jusice substitute. It tastes
quite
sweet, which might please your sweet tooth without sugar :-) :

>I tend to have a sweet tooth, and just purchased a box of very thin :
>cookies called "Ginger Thins", from COSTCO. I am not too savvy about :
>how to read the nutritional facts, but from what I can tell, if I eat :
>just three of these cookies, it would amount to 9g of carbohydrate and :
>.84g of sugar. The total calories is 74, and there is no cholesterol.

First, can you limit yourself to just 3 without going crazy? you could
have, for the same number of carbs, some strawberries, or othe rberries,
a modest sized piece of stone fruit like peach, plums or 2 apricots, a
clementine orange, a half an apple, 9 cherries etc.
: If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get in
: the mood for a light dessert.

It may well work for you with your very close to normal reading, but don't
get into the habit of having the cookies every day, etc. You really an't
know if it is correct for YOU(we are all different, hence the use of
YMMV-Your Mileage Might Vary) unless you test to find out what this
particular food does to your body a different times of the day.

: Is
this correct?

: Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I can.

Your question is NOT dumb. The only dumb question is the one you don't
ask:-)

: Kate

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> atec77 wrote:

>>> Thanks. I haven't had fruit juice since diagnosis. I still want it,
>>> though.

>> I take a 1/2 glass of jiuce each morning with my phylium hulls and
>> glycusomine , much easier to swallow and the benifits outweighs any
>> potentual problems

> Hey, to each his own. But I'm curious: what is your BG reading after
> drinking that juice?

Crystal Light makes an orange drink called Sunrise, and it's passable as OJ
IMO. You might try some of the Crystal Lights for juice cravings.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

when i was advised to test to see where i was i went to walmart, i got a
free meter with the purchase of strips, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> [...]

> extreme effect, but better to eat whole fruits than juice. For one thing,
> it's more filling!
>
>> I tend to have a sweet tooth, and just purchased a box of very thin
>> cookies called "Ginger Thins", from COSTCO. I am not too savvy about
>> how to read the nutritional facts, but from what I can tell, if I eat
>> just three of these cookies, it would amount to 9g of carbohydrate and
>> .84g of sugar. The total calories is 74, and there is no cholesterol.
>>
>> If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get
>> in the mood for a light dessert.
>>
>> Is this correct?

> Sounds like it. But again, better as part of a meal than alone as a snack.
>
>> Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I
>> can.
>> Kate

> No question is dumb except the unasked question. <G>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/6/2010 12:27 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> I can eat just about any fruit, but I put emphasis on berries and
>>> cantaloupe. I *never* drink *any* fruit juice. The whole fruit is much
>>> better for us, and you may find that it would also improve your BG if
>>> you eliminate that.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> My numbers are close to being a diabetic, or so my doc says.
>>
>> I did post here a few days ago.
>>
>> I have dropped five pounds, and am trying hard to get my glucose level
>> down, which is at 101.
>>
>> Can you please tell me if I can eat any and all the fruit I want, or is
>> this too much sugar? My doc did say to stay away from fruit juice.
>> I like Seltzer Water so this is not a problem for me.
>>
>> I tend to have a sweet tooth, and just purchased a box of very thin
>> cookies called "Ginger Thins", from COSTCO. I am not too savvy about how
>> to read the nutritional facts, but from what I can tell, if I eat just
>> three of these cookies, it would amount to 9g of carbohydrate and .84g of
>> sugar. The total calories is 74, and there is no cholesterol.
>>
>> If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get in
>> the mood for a light dessert.
>>
>> Is this correct?
>>
>> Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I can.

> There is no one answer that applies to all of us.
>
> Your BG is not 101. It was 101 at the time you were tested. You don't know
> what it is now. You need a meter. There's your answer. The meter would
> tell you whether you could eat whatever it is or not. But chances are those
> cookies would never make a great snack.

OK. This is great to know. Many thanks.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/6/2010 5:34 AM, Janet wrote:
> [...]

> but better to eat whole fruits than juice. For one thing, it's more filling!
>
>> I tend to have a sweet tooth, and just purchased a box of very thin
>> cookies called "Ginger Thins", from COSTCO. I am not too savvy about
>> how to read the nutritional facts, but from what I can tell, if I eat
>> just three of these cookies, it would amount to 9g of carbohydrate and
>> .84g of sugar. The total calories is 74, and there is no cholesterol.
>>
>> If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get
>> in the mood for a light dessert.
>>
>> Is this correct?

> Sounds like it. But again, better as part of a meal than alone as a snack.
>
>> Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I
>> can.
>> Kate

> No question is dumb except the unasked question.<G>

What a neat group of educated folks here.

I spoke with my doc's nurse yesterday, and I will be going
back to see the doc the first week in January. I need to get all the
blood workup done again, and I am happy to do this.

For now, she does not recommend that I get a machine to test my BG levels.

The worst part of all of this is that the tests will be performed right
after the holidays. Oh well, I am determined to eat better.

Thanks again.

Kate- Who is now down 6 lbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/6/2010 6:29 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> [...]

> have, for the same number of carbs, some strawberries, or othe rberries,
> a modest sized piece of stone fruit like peach, plums or 2 apricots, a
> clementine orange, a half an apple, 9 cherries etc.
> : If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get in
> : the mood for a light dessert.
>
> It may well work for you with your very close to normal reading, but don't
> get into the habit of having the cookies every day, etc. You really an't
> know if it is correct for YOU(we are all different, hence the use of
> YMMV-Your Mileage Might Vary) unless you test to find out what this
> particular food does to your body a different times of the day.
>
> : Is
> this correct?
>
> : Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I can.
>
> Your question is NOT dumb. The only dumb question is the one you don't

Wow, by reading these posts I am finding out that what works for one
person, may not work for the other. Now I see why a BG meter is so
important.

Thanks for the paragraph on the fruit. Very helpful.

Thanks Wendy.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that meter will help you eat better and is very low cost for the information
and weight loss assitance is gives you, I simply can't imagine why she would
tell you not to get a meter, Lee, who isn't even dx'ed and has one... oops
had one, it burnt up as it lived in the kitchen within easy reach, Lee
"Kate" > wrote in message
> [...]

>>> If I am reading this right, then this would be a great snack if I get
>>> in the mood for a light dessert.
>>>
>>> Is this correct?

>> Sounds like it. But again, better as part of a meal than alone as a
>> snack.
>>
>>> Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I am trying to learn all I
>>> can.
>>> Kate

>> No question is dumb except the unasked question.<G>
>>

> What a neat group of educated folks here.
>
> I spoke with my doc's nurse yesterday, and I will be going
> back to see the doc the first week in January. I need to get all the
> blood workup done again, and I am happy to do this.
>
> For now, she does not recommend that I get a machine to test my BG levels.
>
> The worst part of all of this is that the tests will be performed right
> after the holidays. Oh well, I am determined to eat better.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kate wrote:

<snip>

> What a neat group of educated folks here.
>
> I spoke with my doc's nurse yesterday, and I will be going
> back to see the doc the first week in January. I need to get all the
> blood workup done again, and I am happy to do this.
>
> For now, she does not recommend that I get a machine to test my BG
> levels.
> The worst part of all of this is that the tests will be performed
> right after the holidays. Oh well, I am determined to eat better.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Kate- Who is now down 6 lbs.

Kate, if you can afford to buy a WalMart meter and strips, I would
*consider* setting aside the nurse's advice, which is probably predicated on
the idea that "if the doctor didn't prescribe it, you don't need it." It
sounds like you may not in fact absolutely need it, but IMHO if you are
going to go through the trouble to seriously revamp your eating habits you
might as well really know what ou are dealing with--assuming that the cost
of a cheap WalMart meter and strips is not a problem for you. I also think
that meter results might help you get through the holidays eating
realistically. You would know what you really can eat, rather than feeling
helplessly that you "ought" to cut out this or that.

I can also contrast the feeling I had when first DXed of feeling helpless:
all food seemed like poison. What could I eat? What couldn't I eat? It was
so overwhelming. After I got my meter and started testing, I at least could
feel that I was proceding under my own control, no longer powerless. There
is a lot to be said for that.

I think it's great that your doctor is sufficiently proactive to give you
good advice about taking measures to stave off T2 before--hopefully--you
have a full-blown condition. As I and many others can testify, this happens
all-too infrequently.

In my small sample of one, I have found that those involved with diabetes
treatment and education seem to regard those of us who take our condition
into our own hands as almost unique. They seem to be accustomed to dealing
with those who are barely compliant, and often seem to tailor their advice
to that which they think the barely compliant may actually be willing to do,
which is understandable.

Ironically, in the middle of typing this post, the diabetes case manager
called to check in with me. She is very supportive, and made some good
suggestions about strategies for managing my desired increased carb intake,
addressing specific weightloss goals, etc. I asked her if, as I have gotten
the feeling, I am the exception amongst those she deals with, and whether
advice was often tailored to those who are, shall we say, less compliant.
She--very diplomatically--confirmed my impression. She said that many people
are simply overwhelmed, and seem to remain so even in the longer term. It
seems to be a combination of factors: some are of the mindset that the
doctor will fix any illness with a pill. Some don't seem to take seriously
the idea that uncontrolled BGs can result in blindness and other
complications. Many don't seem to believe that they can really significantly
control their own BGs and really can avoid complications if they are willing
to work on their eating and exercise habits.

It sounds as if you are planning to continue this course of action for
several months. I would suggest that if you are going to devote the effort
to changing your eating patterns--in a way that is, let's face it, not
convenient or particularly pleasant--and losing weight that you might as
well do it right: keep a detailed food diary accompanied by a record of BG
testing. If nothing else, after that time you will know what is really
happening with your body. I think it is always better to be armed with
knowledge.

BTW, what are you doing to lose weight? Have you adopted a particular
calorie target, have you upped your exercise, are you keeping a food diary,
etc? Do you have a rough weekly goal?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/7/2010 7:08 AM, Janet wrote:
> [...]

> control their own BGs and really can avoid complications if they are willing
> to work on their eating and exercise habits.
>
> It sounds as if you are planning to continue this course of action for
> several months. I would suggest that if you are going to devote the effort
> to changing your eating patterns--in a way that is, let's face it, not
> convenient or particularly pleasant--and losing weight that you might as
> well do it right: keep a detailed food diary accompanied by a record of BG
> testing. If nothing else, after that time you will know what is really
> happening with your body. I think it is always better to be armed with
> knowledge.
>
> BTW, what are you doing to lose weight? Have you adopted a particular
> calorie target, have you upped your exercise, are you keeping a food diary,

Others have recommended that I get a BC machine too. Can I get
everything over the counter? I live 1 mile from Walmart.
Can you give me the model number of the meter? I would rather this does
not go through my insurance company. I just tried switching companies
and they nabbed me, point wise, on sinusitus, which I never had. I was
misdiagnosed, but because one doc said I had it, the allergist said I
did not. So, I had plenty of points deducted on my score card. Those of
you who decide to switch companies sooner or later will understand when
I bring up a point system. Therefore,
I can't even imagine what would happen if I mentioned the word DB.

What type of strips are the best?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/7/2010 4:24 AM, atec77 wrote:
> [...]
>>> can.
>>>
>>> Your question is NOT dumb. The only dumb question is the one you don't
>>> ask:-)
>>>
>>> : Kate
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> Wow, by reading these posts I am finding out that what works for one
>> person, may not work for the other. Now I see why a BG meter is so
>> important.
>>
>> Thanks for the paragraph on the fruit. Very helpful.
>>
>> Thanks Wendy.

> I post this from time to time
> http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
> it worked for me and very well dropping the levels to near normal in a
> matter of a couple of months , it might not help but for most people the
> weight loss and other improvements are excellent
> use the meter everyday initially and keep asking

Thanks for the url. Very informative, and I printed it out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> [...]

> control their own BGs and really can avoid complications if they are willing
> to work on their eating and exercise habits.
>
> It sounds as if you are planning to continue this course of action for
> several months. I would suggest that if you are going to devote the effort
> to changing your eating patterns--in a way that is, let's face it, not
> convenient or particularly pleasant--and losing weight that you might as
> well do it right: keep a detailed food diary accompanied by a record of BG
> testing. If nothing else, after that time you will know what is really
> happening with your body. I think it is always better to be armed with
> knowledge.
>
> BTW, what are you doing to lose weight? Have you adopted a particular
> calorie target, have you upped your exercise, are you keeping a food diary,

P.S. I forgot to answer your question what am I doing to lose weight.

I usually walk 2 - 3 miles a day, at least five days a week.
I started home remodeling projects, and walking was put on the back
burner.

I am a very high energy person, and work in my yard a lot.
But, with fall here, that will taper off now. My walking will really
start to kick in now.

I don't really have a set weekly goal, but I would like to be down
another 10 lbs. by Christmas.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kate > wrote:
: >
: Others have recommended that I get a BC machine too. Can I get
: everything over the counter? I live 1 mile from Walmart.
: Can you give me the model number of the meter? I would rather this does
: not go through my insurance company. I just tried switching companies
: and they nabbed me, point wise, on sinusitus, which I never had. I was
: misdiagnosed, but because one doc said I had it, the allergist said I
: did not. So, I had plenty of points deducted on my score card. Those of
: you who decide to switch companies sooner or later will understand when
: I bring up a point system. Therefore,
: I can't even imagine what would happen if I mentioned the word DB.

: What type of strips are the best?

: Thanks.

Whatever you do you don't want a label of diabetic, new law or not, as it
does make for great problems geting new insurance.

the Walmart Relion meter is a non-perscrition item adn I believe there is
just one meter, so no model number problems. ?Strips are god only for oa
given brand of meer, so you will have to buy the Walmart,(I guess Relion)
strips, but they are the cheapest around, hence the recommenation for tht
brand when you are not getting it with a perscriion through MD adn
insurance. The Relion are about half the price of most other strips so a
big savings. The meter, itself, is, I believe, about $10 or so, so also
no a big deal. There may be other brands of meters in the store featuring
coupons that make them free, but then you have to use the more expensive
strips so resist those deals:-)

Look at it as your body, your science experiment adn you might actually
enjoy finding out how food works for you.

Good Luck and keep on reporting here and asking any queestions you want.
Yu may get several answers, but we are far from monolithic around here.
Yu have to find what works for YOU!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> the Walmart Relion meter is a non-perscrition item adn I believe
> there is just one meter, so no model number problems. ?Strips are
> god only for oa given brand of meer, so you will have to buy the
> Walmart,(I guess Relion) strips, but they are the cheapest around,
> hence the recommenation for tht brand when you are not getting it
> with a perscriion through MD adn insurance. The Relion are about
> half the price of most other strips so a big savings. The meter,
> itself, is, I believe, about $10 or so, so also no a big deal. There
> may be other brands of meters in the store featuring coupons that
> make them free, but then you have to use the more expensive strips so
> resist those deals:-)
>
> Look at it as your body, your science experiment adn you might
> actually enjoy finding out how food works for you.
>
> Good Luck and keep on reporting here and asking any queestions you
> want. Yu may get several answers, but we are far from monolithic
> around here. Yu have to find what works for YOU!
>
> Wendy

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. It may not be the greatest meter out
there, but it would be fine for your purposes now and it isn't a big
investment. You can pay for it in cash at the checkout: there will be no
record at all for the insurance trolls to sieze upon! <G>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Kate" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> BTW, what are you doing to lose weight? Have you adopted a particular
>> calorie target, have you upped your exercise, are you keeping a food
>> diary,
>> etc? Do you have a rough weekly goal?
>>

> Others have recommended that I get a BC machine too. Can I get everything
> over the counter? I live 1 mile from Walmart.
> Can you give me the model number of the meter? I would rather this does
> not go through my insurance company. I just tried switching companies and
> they nabbed me, point wise, on sinusitus, which I never had. I was
> misdiagnosed, but because one doc said I had it, the allergist said I did
> not. So, I had plenty of points deducted on my score card. Those of you
> who decide to switch companies sooner or later will understand when I
> bring up a point system. Therefore,
> I can't even imagine what would happen if I mentioned the word DB.

They are over the counter, but...!!!! It would be better for you to go to
another Dr. who will prescribe the meter and strips. That way your
insurance will pay for them. Or maybe they won't. I know don't what the
point system is.

As for the strips, you don't really have a choice. Whichever meter you get
will take only one kind.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/7/2010 11:20 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > wrote:
> :>
> : Others have recommended that I get a BC machine too. Can I get
> : everything over the counter? I live 1 mile from Walmart.
> : Can you give me the model number of the meter? I would rather this does
> : not go through my insurance company. I just tried switching companies
> : and they nabbed me, point wise, on sinusitus, which I never had. I was
> : misdiagnosed, but because one doc said I had it, the allergist said I
> : did not. So, I had plenty of points deducted on my score card. Those of
> : you who decide to switch companies sooner or later will understand when
> : I bring up a point system. Therefore,
> : I can't even imagine what would happen if I mentioned the word DB.
>
> : What type of strips are the best?
>
> : Thanks.
>
> Whatever you do you don't want a label of diabetic, new law or not, as it
> does make for great problems geting new insurance.
>
> the Walmart Relion meter is a non-perscrition item adn I believe there is
> just one meter, so no model number problems. ?Strips are god only for oa
> given brand of meer, so you will have to buy the Walmart,(I guess Relion)
> strips, but they are the cheapest around, hence the recommenation for tht
> brand when you are not getting it with a perscriion through MD adn
> insurance. The Relion are about half the price of most other strips so a
> big savings. The meter, itself, is, I believe, about $10 or so, so also
> no a big deal. There may be other brands of meters in the store featuring
> coupons that make them free, but then you have to use the more expensive
> strips so resist those deals:-)
>
> Look at it as your body, your science experiment adn you might actually
> enjoy finding out how food works for you.
>
> Good Luck and keep on reporting here and asking any queestions you want.
> Yu may get several answers, but we are far from monolithic around here.
> Yu have to find what works for YOU!
>
> Wendy

Thank you Wendy. I will be looking into the Relion products.

craving meat elaine General Cooking 8 30-05-2006 07:09 PM
I've Got a Craving For... Chuck Kopsho General Cooking 6 23-12-2005 09:14 PM