Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eating and hot weather

I can remember reading something written I think by Fran Liebowitz when I
was a teen. She was complaining that during hot weather, people seem to
think we don't want to eat. So they serve her things like light little
salads. She said she gets hungrier during hot weather.

I have noticed that myself. And Angela seems to be a lot hungrier as well!
Today it reached 97 here in Bothell. That's pretty unusual. We were out
and near a store where I knew I needed to buy something. But what? Oddly
my memory seems to have improved since I started taking vitamin E, but do
you think I could remember what it was? I knew it was something gluten
free. Of course I couldn't remember it until later. We stopped at another
store and by then I had remembered that it was gluten free macaroni and
cheese that I needed. Luckily that store had the brand that I wanted.
*whew* Anyway... I decided to go in to see if something would jar my
memory and see if they had cheese samples. Heh.

They had brie. I don't really like brie so went on to the other two
barrels. One was empty. But the other? Loaded with little chilled cups of
their version of salad Caprese. Half a cherry tomato, ball of mozzarella,
drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and bit of basil. Oh yum! Angela
didn't like hers.

Then later at Costco, I had two more cheese samples and grabbed up a sample
of some sort of pepperoni pizza. I don't even LIKE pepperoni. The piece I
had, had just a tiny triangle of pepperoni and according to Angela, I wolfed
it down like a pig. I was just soooo hungry.

Then on to Target. I had a bag of popcorn there and also some Light
Lemonade. I didn't finish the popcorn. I gave the rest to Angela. She
always eats some of hers then brings the bag home where she will have it
later. Last year she would bring it to school for a snack. I don't think
they get snacks in Jr. High. But I guess we'll see.

Now I am watching the clock, waiting for dinner. Should get it in the oven
soon. We're having pizza and salad bar. I figure it won't matter to have
the oven on since it is already so hot in here. What's a little more heat?
Heh.

So... Does hot weather make you hungrier? I don't know why it would. But
it sure does seem to.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> I can remember reading something written I think by Fran Liebowitz when I
> was a teen. She was complaining that during hot weather, people seem to
> think we don't want to eat. So they serve her things like light little
> salads. She said she gets hungrier during hot weather.
>
> I have noticed that myself. And Angela seems to be a lot hungrier as well!
> Today it reached 97 here in Bothell. That's pretty unusual. We were out
> and near a store where I knew I needed to buy something. But what? Oddly
> my memory seems to have improved since I started taking vitamin E, but do
> you think I could remember what it was? I knew it was something gluten
> free. Of course I couldn't remember it until later. We stopped at another
> store and by then I had remembered that it was gluten free macaroni and
> cheese that I needed. Luckily that store had the brand that I wanted.
> *whew* Anyway... I decided to go in to see if something would jar my
> memory and see if they had cheese samples. Heh.
>
> They had brie. I don't really like brie so went on to the other two
> barrels. One was empty. But the other? Loaded with little chilled cups of
> their version of salad Caprese. Half a cherry tomato, ball of mozzarella,
> drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and bit of basil. Oh yum! Angela
> didn't like hers.
>
> Then later at Costco, I had two more cheese samples and grabbed up a sample
> of some sort of pepperoni pizza. I don't even LIKE pepperoni. The piece I
> had, had just a tiny triangle of pepperoni and according to Angela, I wolfed
> it down like a pig. I was just soooo hungry.
>
> Then on to Target. I had a bag of popcorn there and also some Light
> Lemonade. I didn't finish the popcorn. I gave the rest to Angela. She
> always eats some of hers then brings the bag home where she will have it
> later. Last year she would bring it to school for a snack. I don't think
> they get snacks in Jr. High. But I guess we'll see.
>
> Now I am watching the clock, waiting for dinner. Should get it in the oven
> soon. We're having pizza and salad bar. I figure it won't matter to have
> the oven on since it is already so hot in here. What's a little more heat?
> Heh.
>
> So... Does hot weather make you hungrier? I don't know why it would. But
> it sure does seem to.

we 'bake' our food on the BBQ
it has a themostat and works like any other gas stove, you have to learn
what temp the marks will drop you to

tonight, we had "Shake N Bake" Cajung pork chops on the BBQ
boy, that was good!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> we 'bake' our food on the BBQ
> it has a themostat and works like any other gas stove, you have to learn
> what temp the marks will drop you to
>
> tonight, we had "Shake N Bake" Cajung pork chops on the BBQ
> boy, that was good!

I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors and
that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day. I also dislike the
flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 17/08/2010 3:39 PM, Alan S wrote:

I remember a documentary I saw once, best quote;

"50 thousand years ago man discovered fire, 20 minutes later he invented
BBQ"

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
>I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors and
>that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day.

Barbecuing of course originated in past centuries when being outside was always
going to be cooler than staying indoors.

>I also dislike the flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.

That's your choice, but I think you're selling yourself short on lots of
succulent smoky low-carb protein.

Orlando

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:56:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> we 'bake' our food on the BBQ
>>> it has a themostat and works like any other gas stove, you have to learn
>>> what temp the marks will drop you to
>>>
>>> tonight, we had "Shake N Bake" Cajung pork chops on the BBQ
>>> boy, that was good!

>>I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors
>>and
>>that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day. I also dislike
>>the
>>flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.

> Here, part of the concept is that on hot days Dad is outside cooking
> on the BBQ and playing with the kids; which means that Mum is wherever
> she wants to be and not inside in a hot house (not all have air-con
> here) over a hot stove.
>
> Despite the implied sexism of that scenario, it is pretty true for
> many families.
>
> I use ours two or three times a week, summer and winter. It has
> several advantages. Minimal washing-up, fat drains off the meat well,
> chops don't fill the house with smoke or smell when cooking, simple to
> use and I'm outside in the fresh air (and BBQ smoke) sipping a glass
> of wine and watching a glorious sunset while she watches the gloomy
> news of the day.
>
> Tonight will be a shared pork chop with tomatoes, potato slices,
> pumpkin slices, onions and peas. Simple but delicious.

---

Hmmm... Perhaps it is just because we didn't have it much when I was
growing up. When we did, it was always a big deal. Oooh! Daddy is
cooking. We only ever had hamburgers. Perhaps hot dogs. I don't remember.
I would never eat hot dogs so if they were served, I ignored them.

We had a BBQ maybe once or twice a summer. I actually thought somehow that
my dad liked to do it!

Last year or maybe it was the year before, we got my dad a new set of BBQ
tools and some cookbooks, only to find out just recently that he never liked
it!

Perhaps one reason why we didn't do it often is that we generally only get
one really hot week out of the year. We're having it now. It was much
nicer just to go to some air conditioned restaurant than to have to sit
outside in the smoke of the BBQ. We didn't have the gas kind that many
people do these days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors
>>and
>>that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day.

> Barbecuing of course originated in past centuries when being outside was
> always
> going to be cooler than staying indoors.
>
>>I also dislike the flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.

> That's your choice, but I think you're selling yourself short on lots of
> succulent smoky low-carb protein.

It's the smoky flavor that I can't stand. And I can't eat much in the way
of protein. Mostly it is in the form of beans. I don't do low carb.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> we 'bake' our food on the BBQ
> it has a themostat and works like any other gas stove, you have to
> learn what temp the marks will drop you to
>
> tonight, we had "Shake N Bake" Cajung pork chops on the BBQ
> boy, that was good!

Sounds great. Tonight we are having Sizzle steak with a parmiagana sauce
and topped with cheese.

http://www.redmeatinnovation.com.au/...s/sizzle-steak

Basically you toss slices on a hot pan and turn it over straight away
and its ready Daughter's choice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Hmmm... Perhaps it is just because we didn't have it much when I was
> growing up. When we did, it was always a big deal. Oooh! Daddy is
> cooking. We only ever had hamburgers. Perhaps hot dogs. I don't
> remember. I would never eat hot dogs so if they were served, I ignored
> them.

I wouldn't even arc up the barbie for hamburgers and hot dogs. I love
steak, chops, chicken kebabs and prawns best on the barbie. Sausages
too.

> We had a BBQ maybe once or twice a summer. I actually thought somehow
> that my dad liked to do it!
>
> Last year or maybe it was the year before, we got my dad a new set of
> BBQ tools and some cookbooks, only to find out just recently that he
> never liked it!

lol

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:32:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hmmm... Perhaps it is just because we didn't have it much when I was
>>growing up. When we did, it was always a big deal. Oooh! Daddy is
>>cooking. We only ever had hamburgers. Perhaps hot dogs. I don't
>>remember.
>>I would never eat hot dogs so if they were served, I ignored them.
>>
>>We had a BBQ maybe once or twice a summer. I actually thought somehow
>>that
>>my dad liked to do it!
>>
>>Last year or maybe it was the year before, we got my dad a new set of
>>BBQ
>>tools and some cookbooks, only to find out just recently that he never
>>liked
>>it!
>>
>>Perhaps one reason why we didn't do it often is that we generally only
>>get
>>one really hot week out of the year. We're having it now. It was
>>much
>>nicer just to go to some air conditioned restaurant than to have to
>>sit
>>outside in the smoke of the BBQ. We didn't have the gas kind that
>>many
>>people do these days.
>>

> The pork chop and veges was delicious.
>
> It's the middle of winter here, it was about 20C(68F) at sunset when I
> was cooking

We were at the beach swimming today on this wonderful winter's day.
Daughter took a break for a couple of days and stayed in Caloundra with
a friend. I drove up with her two babies and my youngest (day off
school! lol) this morning. After lunch we went to one of the beaches. It
had lots of fabulous playground equipment, the water was quite warm and
one party member shouted us all to ice cream cones with sprinkles on
top.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> Hmmm... Perhaps it is just because we didn't have it much when I was
>> growing up. When we did, it was always a big deal. Oooh! Daddy is
>> cooking. We only ever had hamburgers. Perhaps hot dogs. I don't
>> remember. I would never eat hot dogs so if they were served, I ignored
>> them.

> I wouldn't even arc up the barbie for hamburgers and hot dogs. I love
> steak, chops, chicken kebabs and prawns best on the barbie. Sausages too.

---

I did eat steak as a child. Quit eating it at probably about age 12. I
don't think we had it at home too often. Mainly in a restaurant. Never had
a kebab. My mom made pork chops on occasion but she did them with Shake and
Bake (yuck!). Nobody in the family ate prawns but my dad and he was very
picky about them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> We were at the beach swimming today on this wonderful winter's day.
> Daughter took a break for a couple of days and stayed in Caloundra with a
> friend. I drove up with her two babies and my youngest (day off school!
> lol) this morning. After lunch we went to one of the beaches. It had lots
> of fabulous playground equipment, the water was quite warm and one party
> member shouted us all to ice cream cones with sprinkles on top.

---

We tried a Mexican place in Woodinville, the name of which must mean, "No
air conditioning!" I didn't realize this until we had been seated. That's
when I noticed everyone blotting themselves with napkins.

Don't think we'll be eating there again. Angela didn't like it. Oddly,
they put ground beef on top of their bean dip. The other place we ate at in
Woodinville put chicken chunks on top of their bean dip! I didn't mind the
ground beef, but Angela hates it. And I hate chicken. So neither one was
good for us.

Angela didn't like her chicken or taco shells today and said something
wasn't right with the rice, but I don't know what the complaint was. I
thought my food was fine but it was just too hot to enjoy it. Supposed to
be slightly cooler today. Yeah, we are still up because it is too hot to
sleep.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 17/08/2010 8:26 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> We were at the beach swimming today on this wonderful winter's day.
> Daughter took a break for a couple of days and stayed in Caloundra with
> a friend. I drove up with her two babies and my youngest (day off
> school! lol) this morning. After lunch we went to one of the beaches. It
> had lots of fabulous playground equipment, the water was quite warm and
> one party member shouted us all to ice cream cones with sprinkles on top.

Yep winter is hard to take here in the Sunshine State, did you enjoy
EKKA week? Always the same clear blue skies and always that westerly
wind makes the boys from the bush feel at home :-)
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 17/08/2010 8:26 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>

>> We were at the beach swimming today on this wonderful winter's day.
>>
>> Daughter took a break for a couple of days and stayed in Caloundra
>> with
>> a friend. I drove up with her two babies and my youngest (day off
>> school! lol) this morning. After lunch we went to one of the beaches.
>> It
>> had lots of fabulous playground equipment, the water was quite warm
>> and
>> one party member shouted us all to ice cream cones with sprinkles on
>> top.

> Yep winter is hard to take here in the Sunshine State, did you enjoy
> EKKA week? Always the same clear blue skies and always that westerly
> wind makes the boys from the bush feel at home :-)

I loved the two extra days of sleep-in.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:35:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>So... Does hot weather make you hungrier? I don't know why it would. But
>it sure does seem to.

Might be that it revs your metabolism up - does that to me, I need
less thyroxine in the summer, or if I go somewhere hot in the winter.

The event of this summer was to buy a new BBQ I bought a kettle
type, so it can be used come sun, rain, or snow... lovely thing. Best
roast chicken I've ever tasted.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
>We tried a Mexican place in Woodinville, the name of which must mean, "No
>air conditioning!" I didn't realize this until we had been seated. That's
>when I noticed everyone blotting themselves with napkins.
>Don't think we'll be eating there again.

What a shame!

>Angela didn't like it. Oddly,
>they put ground beef on top of their bean dip.

That's not odd, but you could always have it without ground meat.

>The other place we ate at in Woodinville put chicken chunks on top of their

bean dip! I didn't mind the ground beef, but Angela hates it. And I hate
chicken. So neither one was
>good for us.

Just curious, are you and Angela ever satisfied with where you eat and the
temperature?

>Angela didn't like her chicken or taco shells today and said something
>wasn't right with the rice, but I don't know what the complaint was. I
>thought my food was fine but it was just too hot to enjoy it. Supposed to
>be slightly cooler today. Yeah, we are still up because it is too hot to
>sleep.

How ever do people sleep in hot climates?

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>We tried a Mexican place in Woodinville, the name of which must mean, "No
>>air conditioning!" I didn't realize this until we had been seated.
>>That's
>>when I noticed everyone blotting themselves with napkins.
>>Don't think we'll be eating there again.

> What a shame!
>
>>Angela didn't like it. Oddly,
>>they put ground beef on top of their bean dip.

> That's not odd, but you could always have it without ground meat.

---

The menu didn't say that it had meat on it so we didn't expect it to be
there.

>>The other place we ate at in Woodinville put chicken chunks on top of
>>their

> bean dip! I didn't mind the ground beef, but Angela hates it. And I hate
> chicken. So neither one was
>>good for us.

> Just curious, are you and Angela ever satisfied with where you eat and the
> temperature?

---

Of course!

>>Angela didn't like her chicken or taco shells today and said something
>>wasn't right with the rice, but I don't know what the complaint was. I
>>thought my food was fine but it was just too hot to enjoy it. Supposed to
>>be slightly cooler today. Yeah, we are still up because it is too hot to
>>sleep.

> How ever do people sleep in hot climates?

---

I don't know. We can't. I can't stand hot or cold.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:35:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>So... Does hot weather make you hungrier? I don't know why it would.
>>But
>>it sure does seem to.
>>

> Might be that it revs your metabolism up - does that to me, I need
> less thyroxine in the summer, or if I go somewhere hot in the winter.
>
> The event of this summer was to buy a new BBQ I bought a kettle
> type, so it can be used come sun, rain, or snow... lovely thing. Best
> roast chicken I've ever tasted.

---

Hmmm... Interesting.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
: On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:56:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
: > wrote:

: >
: >"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: >> we 'bake' our food on the BBQ
: >> it has a themostat and works like any other gas stove, you have to learn
: >> what temp the marks will drop you to
: >>
[...]

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

In the summer, between the barbecue outside and the microwave I do not
have to put on the oven i the kitchen. In my summer home(where I am NOT
this summer) oven in on an inside wall and heats up the whole little
house. This is nic ein the Spring and Fall when ia little heat is very
nice so cookign a pot of soup or stew is wonderful!.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:

: How ever do people sleep in hot climates?

: Orlando

I found a kind of system this June when we had a heat wae during my
husband's last illness and I had no airconditioner. (remember we spent
our summer upstate). I found that taking a shower and then sitiing under
the ceiling fan cooled me down enough to get to sleep(with the fan still
going) and in the morning another shower with a similar sit, got me red to
get dressed adn go get a nice COLD breakfast ready.

I now have a small air conditioner in the bedroom and it is gret on the
very hot nights. I still prefer fresh air if it is not crazy hot.

Wendy in NYC havign had a very hot June and July.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
: . ..
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >>I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors
: >>and
: >>that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day.
: >
: > Barbecuing of course originated in past centuries when being outside was
: > always
: > going to be cooler than staying indoors.
: >
: >>I also dislike the flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.
: >
: > That's your choice, but I think you're selling yourself short on lots of
: > succulent smoky low-carb protein.

: It's the smoky flavor that I can't stand. And I can't eat much in the way
: of protein. Mostly it is in the form of beans. I don't do low carb.

roasted vegetables are also glorious! Portobello mushrooms . whole make a
very meaty tasting food too adn onions, green peppers, etc are to die for.
Pour a little balsamic vnegar on when they com eoff the grill.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
>I don't know. We can't. I can't stand hot or cold.

What do you enjoy in life? If you can stand neither hot nor cold, which
temperature suits you?

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Hmmm... Perhaps it is just because we didn't have it much when I was
>>> growing up. When we did, it was always a big deal. Oooh! Daddy is
>>> cooking. We only ever had hamburgers. Perhaps hot dogs. I don't
>>> remember. I would never eat hot dogs so if they were served, I ignored
>>> them.

>> I wouldn't even arc up the barbie for hamburgers and hot dogs. I love
>> steak, chops, chicken kebabs and prawns best on the barbie. Sausages too.

> ---
>
> I did eat steak as a child. Quit eating it at probably about age 12. I
> don't think we had it at home too often. Mainly in a restaurant. Never
> had a kebab. My mom made pork chops on occasion but she did them with
> Shake and Bake (yuck!). Nobody in the family ate prawns but my dad and he
> was very picky about them.

When I was growing up grilled steak was always Porterhouse or T-bone.1.5 or
2 inches thick. When Wayne and I started going steady (I was 14) my Mother
invited him over for BBQ steak. He didn't even know what kind of steak we
had. To him steak was round steak that was cooked in the oven on slow heat
for a while. There were ten people in his family...I'm sure round steak was
all they could afford. Wayne likes all cuts of steak now I used to grill
chicken bell pepper onion and pineapple kabob...it was a hit here
Sometimes I would cook a roast on the BBQ wrapped in foil with a beer
marinade. I would make a potato, carrot and onion packet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>We tried a Mexican place in Woodinville, the name of which must mean, "No
>>air conditioning!" I didn't realize this until we had been seated.
>>That's
>>when I noticed everyone blotting themselves with napkins.
>>Don't think we'll be eating there again.

> What a shame!
>
>>Angela didn't like it. Oddly,
>>they put ground beef on top of their bean dip.

> That's not odd, but you could always have it without ground meat.
>
>>The other place we ate at in Woodinville put chicken chunks on top of
>>their

> bean dip! I didn't mind the ground beef, but Angela hates it. And I hate
> chicken. So neither one was
>>good for us.

> Just curious, are you and Angela ever satisfied with where you eat and the
> temperature?
>
>>Angela didn't like her chicken or taco shells today and said something
>>wasn't right with the rice, but I don't know what the complaint was. I
>>thought my food was fine but it was just too hot to enjoy it. Supposed to
>>be slightly cooler today. Yeah, we are still up because it is too hot to
>>sleep.

> How ever do people sleep in hot climates?
>
> Orlando

We have Swamp Boxes or AC...LOL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
. ..
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>I don't know. We can't. I can't stand hot or cold.

> What do you enjoy in life? If you can stand neither hot nor cold, which
> temperature suits you?

65 or 70 is perfect.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
> : . ..
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >>I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them
> outdoors
> : >>and
> : >>that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day.
> : >
> : > Barbecuing of course originated in past centuries when being outside
> was
> : > always
> : > going to be cooler than staying indoors.
> : >
> : >>I also dislike the flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.
> : >
> : > That's your choice, but I think you're selling yourself short on lots
> of
> : > succulent smoky low-carb protein.
>
> : It's the smoky flavor that I can't stand. And I can't eat much in the
> way
> : of protein. Mostly it is in the form of beans. I don't do low carb.
>
> roasted vegetables are also glorious! Portobello mushrooms . whole make a
> very meaty tasting food too adn onions, green peppers, etc are to die for.
> Pour a little balsamic vnegar on when they com eoff the grill.

I really prefer my veggies to be raw. Not a fan of mushrooms, although I
can eat them if they are chopped fine and mixed in things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:49:21 +0000, W. Baker wrote:

> I now have a small air conditioner in the bedroom and it is gret on the
> very hot nights. I still prefer fresh air if it is not crazy hot.
>
> Wendy in NYC havign had a very hot June and July.

Last fall we installed an air-to-air heat pump, to help heat the house in
winter. It can be run in reverse as a cooler, but we haven't needed it
this summer. Having AC in the rental car for our vacation was nice,
though.

GPS: 59.90 N, 10.83 E

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 20/08/2010 4:29 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:

> GPS: 59.90 N, 10.83 E

Just checked on Google earth and I think your lawn needs mowing :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 20/08/2010 4:29 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>

>> GPS: 59.90 N, 10.83 E
>>

> Just checked on Google earth and I think your lawn needs mowing :-)

Whew! I was hoping it wasn't mine. Mine needs water but we are on water
restrictions.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:05:49 +1000, RodS wrote:

> On 20/08/2010 4:29 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>

>> GPS: 59.90 N, 10.83 E
>>

> Just checked on Google earth and I think your lawn needs mowing :-)

Possibly :-) It's not the exact coordinates, but in that neighborhood.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:56:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors
>>> and
>>> that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day. I also dislike
>>> the
>>> flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.

>> Here, part of the concept is that on hot days Dad is outside cooking
>> on the BBQ and playing with the kids; which means that Mum is wherever
>> she wants to be and not inside in a hot house (not all have air-con
>> here) over a hot stove.
>>
>> Despite the implied sexism of that scenario, it is pretty true for
>> many families.
>>
>> I use ours two or three times a week, summer and winter. It has
>> several advantages. Minimal washing-up, fat drains off the meat well,
>> chops don't fill the house with smoke or smell when cooking, simple to
>> use and I'm outside in the fresh air (and BBQ smoke) sipping a glass
>> of wine and watching a glorious sunset while she watches the gloomy
>> news of the day.
>>
>> Tonight will be a shared pork chop with tomatoes, potato slices,
>> pumpkin slices, onions and peas. Simple but delicious.

> ---
>
> Hmmm... Perhaps it is just because we didn't have it much when I was
> growing up. When we did, it was always a big deal. Oooh! Daddy is
> cooking. We only ever had hamburgers. Perhaps hot dogs. I don't remember.
> I would never eat hot dogs so if they were served, I ignored them.
>
> We had a BBQ maybe once or twice a summer. I actually thought somehow that
> my dad liked to do it!
>
> Last year or maybe it was the year before, we got my dad a new set of BBQ
> tools and some cookbooks, only to find out just recently that he never liked
> it!
>
> Perhaps one reason why we didn't do it often is that we generally only get
> one really hot week out of the year. We're having it now. It was much
> nicer just to go to some air conditioned restaurant than to have to sit
> outside in the smoke of the BBQ. We didn't have the gas kind that many
> people do these days.

remember the "Hibatchi" with bbq briquetted ?? (charcoal)

i used that until 23 years ago when i moved and my new neighbours gave
me a propane BBQ

we BBQ 6 times a week on average (summer thru winter)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
>
> : How ever do people sleep in hot climates?
>
> : Orlando
>
> I found a kind of system this June when we had a heat wae during my
> husband's last illness and I had no airconditioner. (remember we spent
> our summer upstate). I found that taking a shower and then sitiing under
> the ceiling fan cooled me down enough to get to sleep(with the fan still
> going) and in the morning another shower with a similar sit, got me red to
> get dressed adn go get a nice COLD breakfast ready.
>
> I now have a small air conditioner in the bedroom and it is gret on the
> very hot nights. I still prefer fresh air if it is not crazy hot.
>
> Wendy in NYC havign had a very hot June and July.

Wendy, we have no air conditioning (ok, we have a window unit, but for
as little as we need it, it often doesn't get put into place)

i LOVE my window fans (we have double hung windows, so we can do this
easier than with sliders or the ones that 'scroll' outwards) and turning
them on gives enough air movement that i'm not too hot at night

of course, there are additional room fans (pedestal or floor or........
you choose) that also help

when i was in Cuba, we had those slatted wood venting systems that
allowed air-flow at night......... we used that! LOL
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> I never understood the concept of BBQs. Generally you use them outdoors
>>> and
>>> that is about the last place I want to be on a hot day.

>> Barbecuing of course originated in past centuries when being outside was
>> always
>> going to be cooler than staying indoors.
>>
>>> I also dislike the flavor of food that has been on a BBQ.

>> That's your choice, but I think you're selling yourself short on lots of
>> succulent smoky low-carb protein.

> It's the smoky flavor that I can't stand. And I can't eat much in the way
> of protein. Mostly it is in the form of beans. I don't do low carb.

err, but, err

why is your BBQ meat smokey?

mine isn't (i don't put hickory or apple or whatever chips in my BBQ)

i do have a smoker and i use the chips there

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>
>> we 'bake' our food on the BBQ
>> it has a themostat and works like any other gas stove, you have to
>> learn what temp the marks will drop you to
>>
>> tonight, we had "Shake N Bake" Cajung pork chops on the BBQ
>> boy, that was good!

> Sounds great. Tonight we are having Sizzle steak with a parmiagana sauce
> and topped with cheese.
>
> http://www.redmeatinnovation.com.au/...s/sizzle-steak
>

> Basically you toss slices on a hot pan and turn it over straight away
> and its ready Daughter's choice.

i'll be right over ! ! !

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>
>>> we 'bake' our food on the BBQ
>>> it has a themostat and works like any other gas stove, you have to
>>> learn what temp the marks will drop you to
>>>
>>> tonight, we had "Shake N Bake" Cajung pork chops on the BBQ
>>> boy, that was good!

>> Sounds great. Tonight we are having Sizzle steak with a parmiagana
>> sauce and topped with cheese.
>>
>> http://www.redmeatinnovation.com.au/...s/sizzle-steak
>> Basically you toss slices on a hot pan and turn it over straight away
>> and its ready Daughter's choice.

> i'll be right over ! ! !

It was very nice, she was supposed to add canned, crushed tomatoes to
the pre-made sauce but chose not to, it was delicious as it was.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> remember the "Hibatchi" with bbq briquetted ?? (charcoal)
>
> i used that until 23 years ago when i moved and my new neighbours gave me
> a propane BBQ
>
> we BBQ 6 times a week on average (summer thru winter)

I remember buying my dad a Hibachi. Before I was able to give it to him, he
bought a big BBQ. So we returned it.

My friend's dad had not only a Hibachi but a big BBQ. My friend once heated
up the little Hibachi so we could make s'mores. I had no clue what s'mores
were. She told me to bring a Hershey (chocolate) bar to make them. My mom
had no idea what they were either so had me buy one of those giant bars. My
friend was furious when she saw the size of the bar because it was too thick
to melt into the s'mores. I was sorely disappointed when I found out what
s'mores were because I hated both marshmallows (particularly melted ones)
and graham crackers.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> W. Baker wrote:
>> Orlando Enrique Fiol > wrote:
>>
>> : How ever do people sleep in hot climates?
>>
>> : Orlando
>>
>> I found a kind of system this June when we had a heat wae during my
>> husband's last illness and I had no airconditioner. (remember we spent
>> our summer upstate). I found that taking a shower and then sitiing under
>> the ceiling fan cooled me down enough to get to sleep(with the fan still
>> going) and in the morning another shower with a similar sit, got me red
>> to get dressed adn go get a nice COLD breakfast ready. I now have a
>> small air conditioner in the bedroom and it is gret on the very hot
>> nights. I still prefer fresh air if it is not crazy hot. Wendy in NYC
>> havign had a very hot June and July.

> Wendy, we have no air conditioning (ok, we have a window unit, but for as
> little as we need it, it often doesn't get put into place)
>
> i LOVE my window fans (we have double hung windows, so we can do this
> easier than with sliders or the ones that 'scroll' outwards) and turning
> them on gives enough air movement that i'm not too hot at night
>
> of course, there are additional room fans (pedestal or floor or........
> you choose) that also help
>
> when i was in Cuba, we had those slatted wood venting systems that allowed
> air-flow at night......... we used that! LOL

My bedroom has this stupidly high window in it. It's up so high that to see
out of it, I have to stand on my toes. There is another such window in this
room. I don't feel bad leaving those windows open. Yes, a burglar could
get in if he/she really wanted to climb up there, but I guess it's better
than having no window.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Barbecuing of course originated in past centuries when being outside was
>>> always
>>> going to be cooler than staying indoors.

>>> That's your choice, but I think you're selling yourself short on lots of
>>> succulent smoky low-carb protein.

>> It's the smoky flavor that I can't stand. And I can't eat much in the
>> way of protein. Mostly it is in the form of beans. I don't do low carb.

> err, but, err
>
> why is your BBQ meat smokey?
>
> mine isn't (i don't put hickory or apple or whatever chips in my BBQ)
>
> i do have a smoker and i use the chips there

I don't know. I haven't eaten very much BBQ'd meat. But I didn't care for
the stuff I did have. My dad has an old fashioned charcoal grill and it
puts off a ton of smoke.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
>when i was in Cuba, we had those slatted wood venting systems that
>allowed air-flow at night......... we used that! LOL

When were you in Cuba? I was there in 1996 to be consecrated to ritual batá
drums. I'm also doing my Ph.D. on arranging processes in Cuban popular music.

Orlando
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> "Orlando Enrique Fiol" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> It's the smoky flavor that I can't stand. And I can't eat much in the
>>> way of protein. Mostly it is in the form of beans. I don't do low
>>> carb.

>> err, but, err
>>
>> why is your BBQ meat smokey?
>>
>> mine isn't (i don't put hickory or apple or whatever chips in my BBQ)
>>
>> i do have a smoker and i use the chips there

> I don't know. I haven't eaten very much BBQ'd meat. But I didn't care
> for the stuff I did have. My dad has an old fashioned charcoal grill and
> it puts off a ton of smoke.

One of the reasons we went to a gas grill is because of the way charcoal
made our food taste.