Posted to rec.arts.tv.uk.misc,rec.food.cooking,rec.pets.dogs.misc

Default Eating Puppy Meat Is the Same as Eating Pork, British TV Chef Says

(Sky News) - British TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall claimed that
eating puppy meat is no more morally objectionable than consuming pork.

The celebrity chef previously shocked viewers by eating placenta pate,
curried fruit bat, giraffe and calf testicles and now claims that he
would not be against a "high-welfare organic puppy farm."

Fearnley-Whittingstall, the star of Channel 4's "River Cottage," was
asked by British magazine Radio Times whether he would try loin of
Labrador or cat liver.

"Not unless I was on the point of starvation," he replied. "In principle,
but not in practice, I have no objection to a high-welfare organic puppy
farm."

He added, "You can't object, unless you also object to the farming of
pigs. It's an artificial construct of our society, a cultural decision,
to make pets out of dogs and meat out of pigs. Both animals could be used
the other way round, although pigs probably do make better meat than dogs
and dogs better pets than pigs, but it's not a foregone conclusion."

Posted to rec.arts.tv.uk.misc,rec.food.cooking,rec.pets.dogs.misc

On 10/12/2011 8:36 AM, Stephen Newport wrote:
> (Sky News) - British TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall claimed that
> eating puppy meat is no more morally objectionable than consuming pork.
>
> The celebrity chef previously shocked viewers by eating placenta pate,
> curried fruit bat, giraffe and calf testicles and now claims that he
> would not be against a "high-welfare organic puppy farm."
>
> Fearnley-Whittingstall, the star of Channel 4's "River Cottage," was
> asked by British magazine Radio Times whether he would try loin of
> Labrador or cat liver.
>
> "Not unless I was on the point of starvation," he replied. "In principle,
> but not in practice, I have no objection to a high-welfare organic puppy
> farm."
>
> He added, "You can't object, unless you also object to the farming of
> pigs. It's an artificial construct of our society, a cultural decision,
> to make pets out of dogs and meat out of pigs. Both animals could be used
> the other way round, although pigs probably do make better meat than dogs
> and dogs better pets than pigs, but it's not a foregone conclusion."

The Vietnamese Pot-bellied (or miniature) Pig makes quite a good pet but
I don't refuse pork. Given the long intertwined evolutionary development
of dogs and people, I think dogs deserve to be respected. See the recent
PBS documentary.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.pets.dogs.misc

In article >,
wrote:
>On 10/12/2011 8:36 AM, Stephen Newport wrote:
>> (Sky News) - British TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall claimed that
>> eating puppy meat is no more morally objectionable than consuming pork.
>>
>> The celebrity chef previously shocked viewers by eating placenta pate,
>> curried fruit bat, giraffe and calf testicles and now claims that he
>> would not be against a "high-welfare organic puppy farm."
>>
>> Fearnley-Whittingstall, the star of Channel 4's "River Cottage," was
>> asked by British magazine Radio Times whether he would try loin of
>> Labrador or cat liver.
>>
>> "Not unless I was on the point of starvation," he replied. "In principle,
>> but not in practice, I have no objection to a high-welfare organic puppy
>> farm."
>>
>> He added, "You can't object, unless you also object to the farming of
>> pigs. It's an artificial construct of our society, a cultural decision,
>> to make pets out of dogs and meat out of pigs. Both animals could be used
>> the other way round, although pigs probably do make better meat than dogs
>> and dogs better pets than pigs, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

>The Vietnamese Pot-bellied (or miniature) Pig makes quite a good pet but
>I don't refuse pork. Given the long intertwined evolutionary development
>of dogs and people, I think dogs deserve to be respected. See the recent
>PBS documentary.

I haven't seen anything from PBS (whatever that is :-) but I read a
paper recently on the domestication of animals in general in which it
was suggested dogs may have domesticated us, rather than the other way
around.

That said, I've often maintained that I couldn't eat an animal with
such noxious shit as a dog! (But as others have pointed out "If you
have cream with it, you could even eat dog shit!" :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:40:43 AM UTC-5, Phred wrote:
> In article >,
> wrote:
> >On 10/12/2011 8:36 AM, Stephen Newport wrote:
> >> (Sky News) - British TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall claimed that
> >> eating puppy meat is no more morally objectionable than consuming pork.
> >>
> >> The celebrity chef previously shocked viewers by eating placenta pate,
> >> curried fruit bat, giraffe and calf testicles and now claims that he
> >> would not be against a "high-welfare organic puppy farm."
> >>
> >> Fearnley-Whittingstall, the star of Channel 4's "River Cottage," was
> >> asked by British magazine Radio Times whether he would try loin of
> >> Labrador or cat liver.
> >>
> >> "Not unless I was on the point of starvation," he replied. "In principle,
> >> but not in practice, I have no objection to a high-welfare organic puppy
> >> farm."
> >>
> >> He added, "You can't object, unless you also object to the farming of
> >> pigs. It's an artificial construct of our society, a cultural decision,
> >> to make pets out of dogs and meat out of pigs. Both animals could be used
> >> the other way round, although pigs probably do make better meat than dogs
> >> and dogs better pets than pigs, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

> >The Vietnamese Pot-bellied (or miniature) Pig makes quite a good pet but
> >I don't refuse pork. Given the long intertwined evolutionary development
> >of dogs and people, I think dogs deserve to be respected. See the recent
> >PBS documentary.

> I haven't seen anything from PBS (whatever that is :-) but I read a
> paper recently on the domestication of animals in general in which it
> was suggested dogs may have domesticated us, rather than the other way
> around.

PBS is American public TV. The documentary is excellent.

> That said, I've often maintained that I couldn't eat an animal with
> such noxious shit as a dog!

I assume you've never found yourself downwind from a pig farm.

> Cheers, Phred.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.arts.tv.uk.misc,rec.food.cooking,rec.pets.dogs.misc

On Oct 12, 5:36*am, "Stephen Newport" > wrote:
> (Sky News) - British TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall claimed that
> eating puppy meat is no more morally objectionable than consuming pork.

Can you say "attention whore"?

I knew you could.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stephen Newport wrote:

> Fearnley-Whittingstall, the star of Channel 4's "River Cottage," was
> asked by British magazine Radio Times whether he would try loin of
> Labrador or cat liver.

Dog liver accumulates enough vitamins A/D to be toxic. Plenty of artic
explorers died fromt eh effects of eating the livers of their dogs
before that was learned. Cat liver should be at least as problematic.

Many object to eating pet animals. Heck, many object to eating venison
because "Bambi is too cute".
Posted to rec.arts.tv.uk.misc,rec.food.cooking,rec.pets.dogs.misc

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:00:00 -0700 (PDT), tutall >
wrote:

>On Oct 12, 5:36*am, "Stephen Newport" > wrote:
>> (Sky News) - British TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall claimed that
>> eating puppy meat is no more morally objectionable than consuming pork.
>>

>Can you say "attention whore"?

Puppy meat is probably how faggots refer to their SO... faggots don't
eat pussy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2011 12:24 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Stephen Newport wrote:
>>
>> Fearnley-Whittingstall, the star of Channel 4's "River Cottage," was
>> asked by British magazine Radio Times whether he would try loin of
>> Labrador or cat liver.

> Dog liver accumulates enough vitamins A/D to be toxic. Plenty of artic
> explorers died fromt eh effects of eating the livers of their dogs
> before that was learned. Cat liver should be at least as problematic.
>
> Many object to eating pet animals. Heck, many object to eating venison
> because "Bambi is too cute".

Tho as a gardener, I think of deer as horned rats, we have coexisted
until this dry summer. Then, a trio of cute, spotted, beautiful but very
thin fawns ate all the leaves off my house plants. I've been putting the
plants outside for the summer for 20 years without problems. There is
only one plant, periwinkle or Vinca minor, that deer don't eat in my
experience.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> Many object to eating pet animals. Heck, many object to eating venison
>> because "Bambi is too cute".

> Tho as a gardener, I think of deer as horned rats, we have coexisted
> until this dry summer. Then, a trio of cute, spotted, beautiful but very
> thin fawns ate all the leaves off my house plants. I've been putting the
> plants outside for the summer for 20 years without problems. There is
> only one plant, periwinkle or Vinca minor, that deer don't eat in my
> experience.

When the opening day of deer season was one of the most popular holidays
there were enough hunters that deer in the country did not survive to
learn to live in the suburbs. Over time the number of hunters has
declined and the amount of suburbs has expanded.

The deer who did finally wander into the suburbs have experienced a lack
of predators so they are now multiplying like rats. And so they are
eating more and more gardens.

At some point animal control officers will be called in to cull the herd
the same as has happened with coyotes in many areas. What a waste of
venison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2011 2:32 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

> When the opening day of deer season was one of the most popular holidays
> there were enough hunters that deer in the country did not survive to
> learn to live in the suburbs. Over time the number of hunters has
> declined and the amount of suburbs has expanded.
>
> The deer who did finally wander into the suburbs have experienced a lack
> of predators so they are now multiplying like rats. And so they are
> eating more and more gardens.
>
> At some point animal control officers will be called in to cull the herd
> the same as has happened with coyotes in many areas. What a waste of
> venison.

Here in suburban MD, and even urban, I wonder if they will eventually do
that here? My mom sometimes has a dozen or more deer in her very small
backyard and she has nothing left in her gardens for them to eat.
They've even eaten some plants that they've previously left alone. I
think I already posted on here somewhere about all the deer poop she
finds and has to avoid in her yard.

I think the only predators deer have here are cars and trucks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, since this is a cooking forum and the title compares eating puppy
meat to eating pork, I'd have to say that although puppy meat tastes OK
to me, a pork tenderloin tastes much better. The first time I ever ate
puppy was back in 1980 in Guilin, China. Tasted OK, but again, nothing
special to write home about (although I think I did at the time).

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Silverton[_4_] View Post
[...]

Agreed. i do love dogs and they deserve more than that. i think the thought of it just gross me out.
Posted to rec.arts.tv.uk.misc,rec.food.cooking,rec.pets.dogs.misc

Who wants to try "puppy dog tail" soup. (c.f. oxtail soup) One can
imagine it wagging!

Sorry, couldn't resist the above.

The Meat-Free Life - Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian and Ten Arguments Against Eating Meat - Hinduism Today Magazine Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 1 22-10-2013 10:04 PM
Are we eating more meat than ever? Julie Bove Diabetic 3 06-08-2010 11:00 PM
Chef dies after eating 'super hot' chilli LeoS General Cooking 6 03-10-2008 12:55 AM
Goo and ethical meat eating dh@. Vegan 0 12-08-2008 01:52 PM
Caution on Meat Eating Beach Runner Vegan 1 08-11-2005 11:22 PM