Julie Bove

Default Slow-Cooked Turkey-Wild Rice Casserole

4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 lb. turkey breast tenderloins, cut into 1/2-1-inch pieces
1 cup coarsely chopped carrots (3 to 4 medium)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 cup sliced celery (1 medium stalk)
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup uncooked wild rice
2 cups water
2 T. soy sauce
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1/8 teaspoon pepper

In 10 inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp,
stirring frequently. Drain off fat.

Stir in turkey, carrots, onion and celery. Cook approx. 2 minutes, stirring
frequently, until turkey is browned. Spoon into 3-4 quart slow cooker.
Stir in all remaining ingredients.

Cover; cook on Low setting for 6 to 7 hours.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:

Total fat: 8g
Carbohydrate: 38g
Fiber: 3g
Protein: 30g

I made this recipe tonight and it was yummy! I did help to lower the carb
count by adding twice as much turkey, bacon, carrots and celery. I also
added a bit less soy sauce and increased the water a little bit. Next time
I will add even more vegetables. I was concerned that I might overfill the
crockpot. I have a tendency to do that since I really love vegetables. But
I wasn't sure how much the wild rice would expand. I still had about 4" to
spare, so I can safely add more. I think mushrooms would also be a good
addition to this.

--
See my webpage:

See my webpage:

Hahabogus

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
> 1 lb. turkey breast tenderloins, cut into 1/2-1-inch pieces
> 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots (3 to 4 medium)
> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
> 1/2 cup sliced celery (1 medium stalk)
> 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
> 1 cup uncooked wild rice
> 2 cups water
> 2 T. soy sauce
> 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
>
> In 10 inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp,
> stirring frequently. Drain off fat.
>
> Stir in turkey, carrots, onion and celery. Cook approx. 2 minutes,
> stirring frequently, until turkey is browned. Spoon into 3-4 quart
> slow cooker. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
>
> Cover; cook on Low setting for 6 to 7 hours.
>
> Nutritional Information Per Serving:
>
> Total fat: 8g
> Carbohydrate: 38g
> Fiber: 3g
> Protein: 30g
>
> I made this recipe tonight and it was yummy! I did help to lower the
> carb count by adding twice as much turkey, bacon, carrots and celery.
> I also added a bit less soy sauce and increased the water a little
> bit. Next time I will add even more vegetables. I was concerned that
> I might overfill the crockpot. I have a tendency to do that since I
> really love vegetables. But I wasn't sure how much the wild rice
> would expand. I still had about 4" to spare, so I can safely add
> more. I think mushrooms would also be a good addition to this.

I thought carrots were on the "use sparingly" list as they are/were
carbish. And I won't even mention the rice.

Looks tasty though. When you say wild rice; do you mean 100% wild rice or
that store bought mixture of 1 part wild to 3 parts white?

Tiger Lily

100% wild rice is a grass seed

very nutty in flavour and very good tasting
also very low on the glycemic index
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>
> > 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
> > 1 lb. turkey breast tenderloins, cut into 1/2-1-inch pieces
> > 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots (3 to 4 medium)
> > 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
> > 1/2 cup sliced celery (1 medium stalk)
> > 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
> > 1 cup uncooked wild rice
> > 2 cups water
> > 2 T. soy sauce
> > 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
> > 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> >
> > In 10 inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp,
> > stirring frequently. Drain off fat.
> >
> > Stir in turkey, carrots, onion and celery. Cook approx. 2 minutes,
> > stirring frequently, until turkey is browned. Spoon into 3-4 quart
> > slow cooker. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
> >
> > Cover; cook on Low setting for 6 to 7 hours.
> >
> > Nutritional Information Per Serving:
> >
> > Total fat: 8g
> > Carbohydrate: 38g
> > Fiber: 3g
> > Protein: 30g
> >
> > I made this recipe tonight and it was yummy! I did help to lower the
> > carb count by adding twice as much turkey, bacon, carrots and celery.
> > I also added a bit less soy sauce and increased the water a little
> > bit. Next time I will add even more vegetables. I was concerned that
> > I might overfill the crockpot. I have a tendency to do that since I
> > really love vegetables. But I wasn't sure how much the wild rice
> > would expand. I still had about 4" to spare, so I can safely add
> > more. I think mushrooms would also be a good addition to this.
> >

> I thought carrots were on the "use sparingly" list as they are/were
> carbish. And I won't even mention the rice.
>
> Looks tasty though. When you say wild rice; do you mean 100% wild rice or
> that store bought mixture of 1 part wild to 3 parts white?

Tiger Lily

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>
> > 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
> > 1 lb. turkey breast tenderloins, cut into 1/2-1-inch pieces
> > 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots (3 to 4 medium)
> > 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
> > 1/2 cup sliced celery (1 medium stalk)
> > 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
> > 1 cup uncooked wild rice
> > 2 cups water
> > 2 T. soy sauce
> > 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
> > 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> >
> > In 10 inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp,
> > stirring frequently. Drain off fat.
> >
> > Stir in turkey, carrots, onion and celery. Cook approx. 2 minutes,
> > stirring frequently, until turkey is browned. Spoon into 3-4 quart
> > slow cooker. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
> >
> > Cover; cook on Low setting for 6 to 7 hours.
> >
> > Nutritional Information Per Serving:
> >
> > Total fat: 8g
> > Carbohydrate: 38g
> > Fiber: 3g
> > Protein: 30g
> >
> > I made this recipe tonight and it was yummy! I did help to lower the
> > carb count by adding twice as much turkey, bacon, carrots and celery.
> > I also added a bit less soy sauce and increased the water a little
> > bit. Next time I will add even more vegetables. I was concerned that
> > I might overfill the crockpot. I have a tendency to do that since I
> > really love vegetables. But I wasn't sure how much the wild rice
> > would expand. I still had about 4" to spare, so I can safely add
> > more. I think mushrooms would also be a good addition to this.
> >

> I thought carrots were on the "use sparingly" list as they are/were
> carbish. And I won't even mention the rice.
>
> Looks tasty though. When you say wild rice; do you mean 100% wild rice or
> that store bought mixture of 1 part wild to 3 parts white?

Hahabogus

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in :

> 100% wild rice is a grass seed
>
> very nutty in flavour and very good tasting
> also very low on the glycemic index
> --
> Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
> /server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
> More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/

Yes they farm it up here about 60-100 miles from me. I have several (10lbs)
pounds in a sack purchased from a wild rice dryer. Wild rice is a aquatic
plant grows in shallow lakes. For some reason hand harvested tastes better,
probably because less kernels get damaged that way. Usually the same lakes
have good fishin.

But that still doesn't answer my question ...the comercial blended wild and
long grain rice mix or completely wild rice? Parboiled rice is low GI too.
But it raises me too much.

Starchless in Manitoba.

Tiger Lily

ahhhhh....... i can tell from your sig that you are eating
the same wild rice i purchase

dang expensive when you buy it in 1/2 cup bags!!!

lol
--

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in :
>
> > 100% wild rice is a grass seed
> >
> > very nutty in flavour and very good tasting
> > also very low on the glycemic index
> > --
> > Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
> > /server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
> > More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/
> >

> Yes they farm it up here about 60-100 miles from me. I have several

(10lbs)
> pounds in a sack purchased from a wild rice dryer. Wild rice is a aquatic
> plant grows in shallow lakes. For some reason hand harvested tastes

better,
> probably because less kernels get damaged that way. Usually the same lakes
> have good fishin.
>

> But that still doesn't answer my question ...the comercial blended wild

and
> long grain rice mix or completely wild rice? Parboiled rice is low GI too.
> But it raises me too much.
>

> Starchless in Manitoba.

Hahabogus

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in :

> ahhhhh....... i can tell from your sig that you are eating
> the same wild rice i purchase
>
> dang expensive when you buy it in 1/2 cup bags!!!
>
> lol

Pinfalls is a cheap place to buy wild rice. I go there every then and now.

--
Starcless in Manitoba.
Julie Bove

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message

> I thought carrots were on the "use sparingly" list as they are/were
> carbish. And I won't even mention the rice.

I don't have a "use sparingly" list. And carrots are not high in carbs. I
eat them almost every day. As for the rice, it is not regular rice, but
wild rice. And because it is mixed into the dish, you are not eating a lot
of it. As I said, you can make this dish have less carbs by increasing the
veggies you put in. You could also cut back on the wild rice.

> Looks tasty though. When you say wild rice; do you mean 100% wild rice or
> that store bought mixture of 1 part wild to 3 parts white?

100% wild. No regular rice at all.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message

<snip>

> But that still doesn't answer my question ...the comercial blended wild

and
> long grain rice mix or completely wild rice? Parboiled rice is low GI too.
> But it raises me too much.

Just wild rice. I rarely ever eat regular rice. When I do, it's just a
tiny amount mixed in soup or something.

--
See my webpage: