Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I've gotta start eating more carbs

FBG 76. Before dinner BG 69. Had bitter melon soup with ground pork. One
hour PP BG 76. Had 1/4 of a lo carb bagel with Limburger. One hour later,
BG 96. <sigh>

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

only reason to eat more carbs is if you feel crappy or regular sink into
30's etc...otherwise tweak your diet to be more stable but you will always
have low and high dies..part of this disease.

70-80 is a non diabetic range..especially a person who eats healthier foods
like fish and fresh veggies...so why fight against it?

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> FBG 76. Before dinner BG 69. Had bitter melon soup with ground pork. One
> hour PP BG 76. Had 1/4 of a lo carb bagel with Limburger. One hour later,
> BG 96. <sigh>
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12 Jun 2008 07:32:37 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>FBG 76. Before dinner BG 69. Had bitter melon soup with ground pork. One
>hour PP BG 76. Had 1/4 of a lo carb bagel with Limburger. One hour later,
>BG 96. <sigh>

Bitter melon is a pancreas stimulator - definitely best eaten
alongside a carb or two. You might be better off eating it as part of
a stir-fry with a T or two of rice?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> only reason to eat more carbs is if you feel crappy or regular sink into
> 30's etc...otherwise tweak your diet to be more stable but you will always
> have low and high dies..part of this disease.
>
> 70-80 is a non diabetic range..especially a person who eats healthier
> foods like fish and fresh veggies...so why fight against it?

That's just not true. 70 to 80 might be a non-diabetic range, but we are
not non-diabetics! I have had many a hypo and was unaware of it. That
doesn't mean I was acting right or rational. IMO, you should always treat
hypos. But of course it is best to avoid them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2008 07:32:37 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >FBG 76. Before dinner BG 69. Had bitter melon soup with ground pork. One
> >hour PP BG 76. Had 1/4 of a lo carb bagel with Limburger. One hour
> >later, BG 96. <sigh>

> Bitter melon is a pancreas stimulator - definitely best eaten
> alongside a carb or two. You might be better off eating it as part of
> a stir-fry with a T or two of rice?

Thanks, Nicky. Jun's making some bitter melon soup for me tonight, which
I'll have with some BBQ'd pork ribs. A couple of Tbs of rice sounds like a
plan.

Dawn effect is a PITA. That 1/4 bagel last night raised my BG 20 mg/dL.
Same thing this AM (but no cheese) raised it 57! I con't know why Limburger
gets such a bad rap? It's such a delicious, cheesy cheese. Should have put
some on this morning. ;-(

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "krom" > wrote in message

> > only reason to eat more carbs is if you feel crappy or regular sink
> > into 30's etc...otherwise tweak your diet to be more stable but you
> > will always have low and high dies..part of this disease.
> >
> > 70-80 is a non diabetic range..especially a person who eats healthier
> > foods like fish and fresh veggies...so why fight against it?

> That's just not true. 70 to 80 might be a non-diabetic range, but we are
> not non-diabetics! I have had many a hypo and was unaware of it. That
> doesn't mean I was acting right or rational. IMO, you should always
> treat hypos. But of course it is best to avoid them.

Hi Julie. You're so right that WE are not non-diabetics and our bodies
react differently than do those of non-diabetics. I've never noticed hypos,
even in the 40's, nor spikes in the 200's+. Some tell me I've never acted
right or rational! Even though I eat a lot of fish and meat, I keep losing
weight. Two or three pounds a month. I can't figure out how to get enough
carbs without spiking! I know graze and exercise portion control.
Implementation is the hard part for me.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

its not a hypo if your not having problems..i said IF you arent going lower
its not a big deal..he describes being in that range alot and not much
higher that often..

Of cours if your routinly 120 and drop to 70 thats a hypo..but if your day
is normally 80 and you eat bitter melon and goto 70 so what?
As long as youre aware and not symptomatic it rediculous to panic and eat to
adjust a 10 point difference.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> only reason to eat more carbs is if you feel crappy or regular sink into
>> 30's etc...otherwise tweak your diet to be more stable but you will
>> always have low and high dies..part of this disease.
>>
>> 70-80 is a non diabetic range..especially a person who eats healthier
>> foods like fish and fresh veggies...so why fight against it?

> That's just not true. 70 to 80 might be a non-diabetic range, but we are
> not non-diabetics! I have had many a hypo and was unaware of it. That
> doesn't mean I was acting right or rational. IMO, you should always treat
> hypos. But of course it is best to avoid them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

your regularly talking about fasting in the 80's and post meal numbers of
90's a hour after eating...and this is without meds..sounds like your doing
fine to me..its when you eat the carbs you got a probleme so guess
what?..dont eat carbs or find ones that dont spike you.

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "krom" > wrote in message

>> > only reason to eat more carbs is if you feel crappy or regular sink
>> > into 30's etc...otherwise tweak your diet to be more stable but you
>> > will always have low and high dies..part of this disease.
>> >
>> > 70-80 is a non diabetic range..especially a person who eats healthier
>> > foods like fish and fresh veggies...so why fight against it?

>> That's just not true. 70 to 80 might be a non-diabetic range, but we are
>> not non-diabetics! I have had many a hypo and was unaware of it. That
>> doesn't mean I was acting right or rational. IMO, you should always
>> treat hypos. But of course it is best to avoid them.

> Hi Julie. You're so right that WE are not non-diabetics and our bodies
> react differently than do those of non-diabetics. I've never noticed
> hypos,
> even in the 40's, nor spikes in the 200's+. Some tell me I've never acted
> right or rational! Even though I eat a lot of fish and meat, I keep losing
> weight. Two or three pounds a month. I can't figure out how to get enough
> carbs without spiking! I know graze and exercise portion control.
> Implementation is the hard part for me.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> its not a hypo if your not having problems..i said IF you arent going
> lower its not a big deal..he describes being in that range alot and not
> much higher that often..

It's still a hypo. And there will be problems. You just might not notice
them.

> Of cours if your routinly 120 and drop to 70 thats a hypo..but if your day
> is normally 80 and you eat bitter melon and goto 70 so what?
> As long as youre aware and not symptomatic it rediculous to panic and eat
> to adjust a 10 point difference.

It's still a hypo. And bitter melon has been known to cause it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 13 Jun 2008 02:00:14 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Dawn effect is a PITA. That 1/4 bagel last night raised my BG 20 mg/dL.
>Same thing this AM (but no cheese) raised it 57! I con't know why Limburger
>gets such a bad rap? It's such a delicious, cheesy cheese. Should have put
>some on this morning. ;-(

Is not the bagel, or maybe is not dawn effect. Dawn effect is when
your morning reading is significantly higher than your bedtime reading
(no snacks...) and keeps on rising until you eat some carbs. It's
linked to diurnal hormone cycles, and heaven knows what the hours you
keep is doing to them!

You would have used up the bagel before the liver was contemplating
DP-ing you. Adding the Limburger (ak! ew...) is a Good Idea because
the fat slows absorption down.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:

> As long as youre aware and not symptomatic it rediculous to panic and eat
> to adjust a 10 point difference.

The only time I'll panic is when they're shoveling dirt in my face, because
I specified cremation! ;-D

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> your regularly talking about fasting in the 80's and post meal numbers of
> 90's a hour after eating...and this is without meds..sounds like your
> doing fine to me..its when you eat the carbs you got a probleme so guess
> what?..dont eat carbs or find ones that dont spike you.

I've gotta exercise portion control, Kr OM. And eat something else with the
carbs. I'm slowly losing weight, so I've gotta up my carb count.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "krom" > wrote in message

> > its not a hypo if your not having problems..i said IF you arent going
> > lower its not a big deal..he describes being in that range alot and
> > not much higher that often..

> It's still a hypo. And there will be problems. You just might not
> notice them.
> >
> > Of cours if your routinly 120 and drop to 70 thats a hypo..but if your
> > day is normally 80 and you eat bitter melon and goto 70 so what?
> > As long as youre aware and not symptomatic it rediculous to panic and
> > eat to adjust a 10 point difference.

> It's still a hypo. And bitter melon has been known to cause it.

I had bitter melon tea every morning in Thailand. Looks like I'll be
getting bitter melon more often. Jub's already cut out my other Thai herbs
(well, I do like sadao). Good. I can start eating more carbs (which I
need) with it!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "krom" > wrote:
>> your regularly talking about fasting in the 80's and post meal
>> numbers of 90's a hour after eating...and this is without
>> meds..sounds like your doing fine to me..its when you eat the carbs
>> you got a probleme so guess what?..dont eat carbs or find ones that
>> dont spike you.

> I've gotta exercise portion control, Kr OM. And eat something else
> with the carbs. I'm slowly losing weight, so I've gotta up my carb
> count.

Fat. Fat has lots of calories. What brand of low carb bagel are you having?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2008 02:00:14 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
> >Dawn effect is a PITA. That 1/4 bagel last night raised my BG 20 mg/dL.
> >Same thing this AM (but no cheese) raised it 57! I con't know why
> >Limburger gets such a bad rap? It's such a delicious, cheesy cheese.
> >Should have put some on this morning. ;-(

> Is not the bagel, or maybe is not dawn effect. Dawn effect is when
> your morning reading is significantly higher than your bedtime reading
> (no snacks...) and keeps on rising until you eat some carbs. It's
> linked to diurnal hormone cycles, and heaven knows what the hours you
> keep is doing to them!
>
> You would have used up the bagel before the liver was contemplating
> DP-ing you. Adding the Limburger (ak! ew...) is a Good Idea because
> the fat slows absorption down.

Thanks, Nicky. My FBG's are pretty good unless I go carb crazy while
watching a late night/early morning movie. I try to limit myself to six
locarb crackers with cheese.

I've gotta find a local source for Limburger. Ordering it on line is
pretty expensive.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "krom" > wrote:
> >> your regularly talking about fasting in the 80's and post meal
> >> numbers of 90's a hour after eating...and this is without
> >> meds..sounds like your doing fine to me..its when you eat the carbs
> >> you got a probleme so guess what?..dont eat carbs or find ones that
> >> dont spike you.

> > I've gotta exercise portion control, Kr OM. And eat something else
> > with the carbs. I'm slowly losing weight, so I've gotta up my carb
> > count.

> Fat. Fat has lots of calories. What brand of low carb bagel are you
> having?

"Western Bagel.' 18 Gms net carbs per one whole bagel.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thats fine..but your post made it sound DIRE you add carbs like "oh no i
need to make corrections" and i was saying maybe not...to each thier own
control..

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote:
>> your regularly talking about fasting in the 80's and post meal numbers of
>> 90's a hour after eating...and this is without meds..sounds like your
>> doing fine to me..its when you eat the carbs you got a probleme so guess
>> what?..dont eat carbs or find ones that dont spike you.

> I've gotta exercise portion control, Kr OM. And eat something else with
> the
> carbs. I'm slowly losing weight, so I've gotta up my carb count.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wrong..if your reg 80 and you hit 70;s its not a hypo.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> its not a hypo if your not having problems..i said IF you arent going
>> lower its not a big deal..he describes being in that range alot and not
>> much higher that often..

> It's still a hypo. And there will be problems. You just might not notice
> them.
>>
>> Of cours if your routinly 120 and drop to 70 thats a hypo..but if your
>> day is normally 80 and you eat bitter melon and goto 70 so what?
>> As long as youre aware and not symptomatic it rediculous to panic and eat
>> to adjust a 10 point difference.

> It's still a hypo. And bitter melon has been known to cause it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Wrong..if your reg 80 and you hit 70;s its not a hypo.

Yes it is.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:16:10 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>"krom" > wrote in message
>> Wrong..if your reg 80 and you hit 70;s its not a hypo.

>Yes it is.

3.9 in my terms - I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Below 3 - your
55 - I would.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> Thats fine..but your post made it sound DIRE you add carbs like "oh no i
> need to make corrections" and i was saying maybe not...to each thier own
> control..

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like an alarmist. ;-)

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

No hypo is a condition not a number..a ten point deviation from normal is
NOT a hypo.

Thas why for example my meter lets ME set what number i consider hypo and
then you get a question "do you need a snack?"..not "EAT NOW"

But whatever.. im not going to argue about it..if he is 80's fasting and
eats a food that drops him to 70's and he feels fine and clearly just ate
its silly to eat more food just to bump up 10 points..i was saying he might
as well wait and see at two or three hours if he rises which i would expect
and maybe add a few more carbs next meal but again its not a must..he is not
on insulin or meds so the fear of a severe hypo is virtually none and common
sense prevails.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> Wrong..if your reg 80 and you hit 70;s its not a hypo.

> Yes it is.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

right and sense he isnt on meds i doubt he would drop that low unless he was
having a reactive hypo due to overdoing some carbs..then he would
rollorcoaster..not so much pass out or go into coma like a insulin user
could...he just would feel like crap...which why i recomended against trying
to overcorrect such a small deviation from normal.

Of course if he felt bad then duh..correct it..but so many people see a a
lower number as a reason to pig out when it isnt necessary.

KROM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:16:10 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"krom" > wrote in message
>>> Wrong..if your reg 80 and you hit 70;s its not a hypo.

>>Yes it is.
>>

> 3.9 in my terms - I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Below 3 - your
> 55 - I would.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

No problem at all i was just pointing out your numbers were so good from
what i read without meds other then diet..that i saw no reason to
overcorrect what are great numbers if you feel good...there is NO damage
beig done if your base is 80's and you drop 10 points..lol.
Its a good thing...keep it up!

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote:
>> Thats fine..but your post made it sound DIRE you add carbs like "oh no i
>> need to make corrections" and i was saying maybe not...to each thier own
>> control..

> Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like an alarmist. ;-)
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> No hypo is a condition not a number..a ten point deviation from normal is
> NOT a hypo.

It is actually a number.

> Thas why for example my meter lets ME set what number i consider hypo and
> then you get a question "do you need a snack?"..not "EAT NOW"

Never heard of that before.

> But whatever.. im not going to argue about it..if he is 80's fasting and
> eats a food that drops him to 70's and he feels fine and clearly just ate
> its silly to eat more food just to bump up 10 points..i was saying he
> might as well wait and see at two or three hours if he rises which i would
> expect and maybe add a few more carbs next meal but again its not a
> must..he is not on insulin or meds so the fear of a severe hypo is
> virtually none and common sense prevails.

I am to treat for hypo at 80. Why? Because my BG tends to plummet rapidly
from there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> No hypo is a condition not a number..a ten point deviation from normal is
> NOT a hypo.

70 is definitely in normal range for BG.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> No hypo is a condition not a number..a ten point deviation from normal is
>> NOT a hypo.
>>

> It is actually a number.
>
>> Thas why for example my meter lets ME set what number i consider hypo and
>> then you get a question "do you need a snack?"..not "EAT NOW"

> Never heard of that before.
>>
>> But whatever.. im not going to argue about it..if he is 80's fasting and
>> eats a food that drops him to 70's and he feels fine and clearly just ate
>> its silly to eat more food just to bump up 10 points..i was saying he
>> might as well wait and see at two or three hours if he rises which i
>> would expect and maybe add a few more carbs next meal but again its not a
>> must..he is not on insulin or meds so the fear of a severe hypo is
>> virtually none and common sense prevails.

> I am to treat for hypo at 80. Why? Because my BG tends to plummet
> rapidly from there.

But you are on insulin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "krom" > wrote in message

> > No hypo is a condition not a number..a ten point deviation from normal
> > is NOT a hypo.

> 70 is definitely in normal range for BG.

Agreed. When my BG is below 70, my recording software will alert me that I
might be going hypo. Asks me if I'm feeling alright, etc. Suggests I might
want a few carbs. Very low key.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

your on insulin and before that meds and you run higher then he does..and
you have a different system.

I cant explain it more then i have..

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> No hypo is a condition not a number..a ten point deviation from normal is
>> NOT a hypo.
>>

> It is actually a number.
>
>> Thas why for example my meter lets ME set what number i consider hypo and
>> then you get a question "do you need a snack?"..not "EAT NOW"

> Never heard of that before.
>>
>> But whatever.. im not going to argue about it..if he is 80's fasting and
>> eats a food that drops him to 70's and he feels fine and clearly just ate
>> its silly to eat more food just to bump up 10 points..i was saying he
>> might as well wait and see at two or three hours if he rises which i
>> would expect and maybe add a few more carbs next meal but again its not a
>> must..he is not on insulin or meds so the fear of a severe hypo is
>> virtually none and common sense prevails.

> I am to treat for hypo at 80. Why? Because my BG tends to plummet
> rapidly from there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>> I am to treat for hypo at 80. Why? Because my BG tends to plummet
>> rapidly from there.

> But you are on insulin.

It did that before I was on insulin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bovey" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
>>> I am to treat for hypo at 80. Why? Because my BG tends to plummet
>>> rapidly from there.

>> But you are on insulin.

> It did that before I was on insulin.

From meds or too many carbs? There is not much else that can make a bg
plummet. An person not taking med or insulin and low carbing for example
will keep pretty static numbers, even very low numbers without hypoing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bovey" > wrote in message

>>> But you are on insulin.

>> It did that before I was on insulin.

> From meds or too many carbs? There is not much else that can make a bg
> plummet. An person not taking med or insulin and low carbing for example
> will keep pretty static numbers, even very low numbers without hypoing.

When I was on meds or not on meds. Once my numbers got around 80 they would
plummet quickly. Low carbing doesn't help me. It rasies my numbers.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bovey" > wrote in message

>>> It did that before I was on insulin.

>> From meds or too many carbs? There is not much else that can make a bg
>> plummet. An person not taking med or insulin and low carbing for example
>> will keep pretty static numbers, even very low numbers without hypoing.

> When I was on meds or not on meds. Once my numbers got around 80 they
> would plummet quickly.

That would be an RH episode when not on meds and would happen when too many
carbs for your system were eaten in one go. The number of carbs that cause
RH differs from person to person.