Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Wendy, have you seen this?

: It's a Kosher diabetic cookbook.

: http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/
: --
: Janet Wilder
: Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
: Good Friends. Good Life

Just back from a LOOONG weekend so havn't had a chance to look it up.
will let you know. My DIL got me a diabetic cookbook canlled Enlitened
Kosher Cooking by Nechemia Cohen. It seems to be written TO ACCOMODATE
BOTH LOW ER CARB AND LOWER FAT DIETS, EMPHASISING (AS USUAL) "HEALTHY"
WHOLE GRAIN CARBS AND "GOOD" FATS AND OILS. Many of the recipes are quite
low carb and may pastry recipes use almond flour, soy flour etc, so it can
be quite low carb. There is, of course emphasis on on finding ways to
have many traditional kosher dishes and shabat and holiday foods adapted
to lower carb and, usually, lower fat versions. They are not afraid of
artificial sweeteners as so many diabetic cookbooks seem to be. some of
the recipies I have tried are quite good. I want to try a mandelbrot
(biscotti type cookie) that they have that used almond flour.

By the way, with Shavuot coming up I will post my spinach kugel tht i
adapted from my mother's noodle kugel, which is rich in cheese, sour
cream, if desired, etc. but no noodles! I alsoo make my lower fat, low
carb cheesecake for this holiday and hope to have my vegetarian son and
his family over for that meal. Not sure how Zoe, aged 5, will like tht
spinach kugel, althose she does like "trees", (brocolli crowns).

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ping: Wendy

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
> : Wendy, have you seen this?
>
> : It's a Kosher diabetic cookbook.
>
> : http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/
> : --
> : Janet Wilder
> : Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> : Good Friends. Good Life
>
> Just back from a LOOONG weekend so havn't had a chance to look it up.
> will let you know. My DIL got me a diabetic cookbook canlled Enlitened
> Kosher Cooking by Nechemia Cohen. It seems to be written TO ACCOMODATE
> BOTH LOW ER CARB AND LOWER FAT DIETS, EMPHASISING (AS USUAL) "HEALTHY"
> WHOLE GRAIN CARBS AND "GOOD" FATS AND OILS. Many of the recipes are quite
> low carb and may pastry recipes use almond flour, soy flour etc, so it can
> be quite low carb. There is, of course emphasis on on finding ways to
> have many traditional kosher dishes and shabat and holiday foods adapted
> to lower carb and, usually, lower fat versions. They are not afraid of
> artificial sweeteners as so many diabetic cookbooks seem to be. some of
> the recipies I have tried are quite good. I want to try a mandelbrot
> (biscotti type cookie) that they have that used almond flour.

That is the same one I sent you the link to. I'd be interested in how
the mandelbrot comes out. Let me know, please.

> By the way, with Shavuot coming up I will post my spinach kugel tht i
> adapted from my mother's noodle kugel, which is rich in cheese, sour
> cream, if desired, etc. but no noodles! I alsoo make my lower fat, low
> carb cheesecake for this holiday and hope to have my vegetarian son and
> his family over for that meal. Not sure how Zoe, aged 5, will like tht
> spinach kugel, althose she does like "trees", (brocolli crowns).

I'd love the spinach kugel recipe. Please, please post it.

I used to be able to get Manischewitz low-carb luxion (noodles) but the
stores no longer carry it now that "low-carb" is no longer the diet
craze of the moment. I have thought about breaking up Dreamfields
lasagna noodles to use in a kugel, but....nah. If I do make a noodle
kugel, most of it gets frozen and we use extreme portion control.

My mother always made cheese blintzes for Shavuot. DH only likes potato
blintzes so he doesn't get any. :-)

Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> W. Baker wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> > : Wendy, have you seen this?
> >
> > : It's a Kosher diabetic cookbook.
> >
> > : http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/
> > : --
> > : Janet Wilder
> > : Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> > : Good Friends. Good Life
> >
> > Just back from a LOOONG weekend so havn't had a chance to look it up.
> > will let you know. My DIL got me a diabetic cookbook canlled Enlitened
> > Kosher Cooking by Nechemia Cohen. It seems to be written TO ACCOMODATE
> > BOTH LOW ER CARB AND LOWER FAT DIETS, EMPHASISING (AS USUAL) "HEALTHY"
> > WHOLE GRAIN CARBS AND "GOOD" FATS AND OILS. Many of the recipes are quite
> > low carb and may pastry recipes use almond flour, soy flour etc, so it can
> > be quite low carb. There is, of course emphasis on on finding ways to
> > have many traditional kosher dishes and shabat and holiday foods adapted
> > to lower carb and, usually, lower fat versions. They are not afraid of
> > artificial sweeteners as so many diabetic cookbooks seem to be. some of
> > the recipies I have tried are quite good. I want to try a mandelbrot
> > (biscotti type cookie) that they have that used almond flour.

> That is the same one I sent you the link to. I'd be interested in how
> the mandelbrot comes out. Let me know, please.
>
> > By the way, with Shavuot coming up I will post my spinach kugel tht i
> > adapted from my mother's noodle kugel, which is rich in cheese, sour
> > cream, if desired, etc. but no noodles! I alsoo make my lower fat, low
> > carb cheesecake for this holiday and hope to have my vegetarian son and
> > his family over for that meal. Not sure how Zoe, aged 5, will like tht
> > spinach kugel, althose she does like "trees", (brocolli crowns).

> I'd love the spinach kugel recipe. Please, please post it.

Yes, yes, spinach kugel. Pretty please.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> W. Baker wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> My mother always made cheese blintzes for Shavuot. DH only likes potato
> blintzes so he doesn't get any. :-)

Mmmm. This Sichy Bronx goy boy hasn't had cheese blintzes in over 50 years.
Could you post/email Mamme's recipe? Post it on rec.food.cuisine.jewish, if
you want.

A sheynem dank e molto grazie!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> W. Baker wrote:
>>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]

>> My mother always made cheese blintzes for Shavuot. DH only likes potato
>> blintzes so he doesn't get any. :-)

> Mmmm. This Sichy Bronx goy boy hasn't had cheese blintzes in over 50 years.
> Could you post/email Mamme's recipe? Post it on rec.food.cuisine.jewish, if
> you want.
>
> A sheynem dank e molto grazie!

Sorry, Nick. I can't. She used pot cheese and there isn't any more pot
cheese in the world. After pot cheese went away she tried other kinds of
cheese but nothing worked as well.

I think the recipe she used came from "Jewish Home Beautiful" a thin
cookbook with, IIRC, a purple cover. She used a lot of those recipes. I
should check Amazon for a copy. I believe it was published by United
Synagogues (the Conservatives).

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >> My mother always made cheese blintzes for Shavuot. DH only likes
> >> potato blintzes so he doesn't get any. :-)

> > Mmmm. This Sichy Bronx goy boy hasn't had cheese blintzes in over 50
> > years. Could you post/email Mamme's recipe? Post it on
> > rec.food.cuisine.jewish, if you want.
> >
> > A sheynem dank e molto grazie!
> >

> Sorry, Nick. I can't. She used pot cheese and there isn't any more pot
> cheese in the world. After pot cheese went away she tried other kinds of
> cheese but nothing worked as well.
>
> I think the recipe she used came from "Jewish Home Beautiful" a thin
> cookbook with, IIRC, a purple cover. She used a lot of those recipes. I
> should check Amazon for a copy. I believe it was published by United
> Synagogues (the Conservatives).

Thanks, Janet. I just ordered it used from Amazon.

From what I've found with Google, it seems that Pot Cheese is Cottage
Cheese with more of the whey drained out. Cheesecloth might work for that.
;-/

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:

: Thanks, Janet. I just ordered it used from Amazon.

: From what I've found with Google, it seems that Pot Cheese is Cottage
: Cheese with more of the whey drained out. Cheesecloth might work for that.
: ;-/

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

It is also a larger curd that most cottage cheese I see, being kind of dry
and chunky.

It should also come from a cheese and dairy and egg store, taken from a
tub and wrapped in white paper:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Thanks, Janet. I just ordered it used from Amazon.

I ordered it this morning. I might just scan a few of the recipes I
remember well and give it as a gift to a local gal whose entire family
just converted.

> From what I've found with Google, it seems that Pot Cheese is Cottage
> Cheese with more of the whey drained out. Cheesecloth might work for that.

We tried putting large curd cottage cheese in cheese cloth overnight.
It was better than just cottage cheese, but wasn't pot cheese. It tasted
a little different, too.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> : Thanks, Janet. I just ordered it used from Amazon.
>
> : From what I've found with Google, it seems that Pot Cheese is Cottage
> : Cheese with more of the whey drained out. Cheesecloth might work for
> : that. ;-/

> It is also a larger curd that most cottage cheese I see, being kind of
> dry and chunky.

According to foodreference.com "Cottage cheese is the fresh drained curds
of slightly soured, low fat pasteurized milk. When the curds are drained,
the cheese is called cottage cheese; allow the curds to drain longer and it
is called pot cheese. Press the remaining moisture out so it becomes drier
and crumbly, and it is called farmer's cheese."

> It should also come from a cheese and dairy and egg store, taken from a
> tub and wrapped in white paper:-)

Thanks, Wendy. ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Janet. I just ordered it used from Amazon.

> I ordered it this morning. I might just scan a few of the recipes I
> remember well and give it as a gift to a local gal whose entire family
> just converted.

Janet, where did you order yours from? I ordered mine from
, through Amazon. If you got MY copy, I'll never talk
to you again! ;-D

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> >
>> > Mmmm. This Sichy Bronx goy boy hasn't had cheese blintzes in over 50
>> > years. Could you post/email Mamme's recipe? Post it on
>> > rec.food.cuisine.jewish, if you want.
>> >
>> > A sheynem dank e molto grazie!
>> >

>> Sorry, Nick. I can't. She used pot cheese and there isn't any more pot
>> cheese in the world. After pot cheese went away she tried other kinds of
>> cheese but nothing worked as well.
>>
>> I think the recipe she used came from "Jewish Home Beautiful" a thin
>> cookbook with, IIRC, a purple cover. She used a lot of those recipes. I
>> should check Amazon for a copy. I believe it was published by United
>> Synagogues (the Conservatives).

> Thanks, Janet. I just ordered it used from Amazon.
>
> From what I've found with Google, it seems that Pot Cheese is Cottage
> Cheese with more of the whey drained out. Cheesecloth might work for that.
> ;-/
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

Sounds like what was called cottage when my parents bought it. I only saw
it at a farmer's market, not at a grocery store.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> Thanks, Janet. I just ordered it used from Amazon.

>> I ordered it this morning. I might just scan a few of the recipes I
>> remember well and give it as a gift to a local gal whose entire family
>> just converted.

> Janet, where did you order yours from? I ordered mine from
> , through Amazon. If you got MY copy, I'll never talk
> to you again! ;-D

$11.49 includes shipping. Also through Amazon.

I am sure that my daughter, the New Jersey Princess, has a copy that she
got as a wedding gift. She doesn't know where it is, but why would she
know anything about a cookbook? :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >> I ordered it this morning. I might just scan a few of the recipes I
> >> remember well and give it as a gift to a local gal whose entire family
> >> just converted.

> > Janet, where did you order yours from? I ordered mine from
> > , through Amazon. If you got MY copy, I'll never
> > talk to you again! ;-D

$11.49 includes shipping. Also through
> Amazon.
>
> I am sure that my daughter, the New Jersey Princess, has a copy that she
> got as a wedding gift. She doesn't know where it is, but why would she
> know anything about a cookbook? :-)

LMAO

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 6 13-10-2013 07:04 AM
ping wendy and evelyn ot Storrmmee Diabetic 12 16-10-2011 06:17 PM
Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 42 23-06-2011 10:10 AM
ping wendy baker OT Storrmmee Diabetic 97 05-12-2010 03:54 AM
Ping: Wendy and Janet Priscilla Ballou Diabetic 0 01-06-2008 04:03 AM