Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ping wendy baker OT

i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this include
all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy cream
cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
>allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this include
>all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
>soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy cream
>cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee

I'm not Wendy but Parkay contains dairy, I believe. Here we can get Nucoa
and Benecol. They are the only two with no dairy in this area. I hear tell
there is a Fleischman's with no dairy and there is also one called Mother's,
but I think it is only put out at a certain time of the year. Some soy and
rice cheese also contains dairy. You have to check the label.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, i had no idea, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
>>allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this include
>>all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
>>soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy cream
>>cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee

> I'm not Wendy but Parkay contains dairy, I believe. Here we can get Nucoa
> and Benecol. They are the only two with no dairy in this area. I hear
> tell there is a Fleischman's with no dairy and there is also one called
> Mother's, but I think it is only put out at a certain time of the year.
> Some soy and rice cheese also contains dairy. You have to check the
> label.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
: allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this include
: all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
: soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy cream
: cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee

All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
approved by a kosher supervising agancy.

There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit of
lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds of
tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we first
ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk, lol, she
asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned about the
basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead... later in the
evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful memories, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
> : allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this
> include
> : all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
> : soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy
> cream
> : cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee
>
> All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
> same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
> there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
> non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
> approved by a kosher supervising agancy.
>
> There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
> make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit of
> lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds of
> tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i
> am reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when
> we first ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of
> milk, lol, she asked if i would not order it

That is astonishing. I've had a number of friends who kept kosher, and they
never asked other people to observe their rules in a public restaurant. If
you are sharing the food, sure. But otherwise? Very strange.

I'm glad you weren't bothered by it. I would have been surprised, to say the
least.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we had a very interesting friendship, we both do the same kind of work,
except she had more disabilities than blindness, we were able to discuss
anything, and our relationship was much more open than most women share...
she stuttered tremendously, but as i grew up next door to a guy that did,
not only did her stuttering not bother me, i was able to NOT help her so she
actually calmed down and she talked better, she would NEVER have asked
someone else, but she was comfortable enough with me that she felt she
could, just as when she came to a meeting a few months later, i asked her to
NEVER wear the perfume she had on around me... i am allergic to most but
this one was really hard on me... again, i am sure she wouldn't have asked
another person, but we had almost immediate trust in each other,

Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i
>> am reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when
>> we first ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of
>> milk, lol, she asked if i would not order it

> That is astonishing. I've had a number of friends who kept kosher, and
> they never asked other people to observe their rules in a public
> restaurant. If you are sharing the food, sure. But otherwise? Very
> strange.
>
> I'm glad you weren't bothered by it. I would have been surprised, to say
> the least.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
> : allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this
> include
> : all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
> : soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy
> cream
> : cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee
>
> All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
> same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
> there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
> non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
> approved by a kosher supervising agancy.
>
> There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
> make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit of
> lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds of
> tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.
>
> Wendy

I think lactose per se is not the issue, if it is possible to create it
chemically without physical milk it wouldn't be dairy. The issue is
physical milk, i.e. milk that was produced by an animal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

There is no rule that says a Jew shouldn't watch a non-Jew eating meat and
dairy together, or for that matter eating any other non-kosher food such as
pork or shellfish. Our rules are only applicable to ourselves.

However, if your friend was fully observant she would not eat food prepared
in a non-kosher establishment.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
> reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we first
> ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk, lol, she
> asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned about the
> basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead... later in the
> evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful memories, Lee
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Storrmmee > wrote:
>> : i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
>> : allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this
>> include
>> : all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
>> : soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy
>> cream
>> : cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee
>>
>> All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
>> same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
>> there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
>> non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
>> approved by a kosher supervising agancy.
>>
>> There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
>> make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit
>> of
>> lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds
>> of
>> tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.
>>
>> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
> reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we first
> ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk, lol, she
> asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned about the
> basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead... later in the
> evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful memories, Lee
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Storrmmee > wrote:
>> : i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
>> : allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this
>> include
>> : all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
>> : soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy
>> cream
>> : cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee
>>
>> All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
>> same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
>> there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
>> non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
>> approved by a kosher supervising agancy.
>>
>> There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
>> make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit
>> of
>> lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds
>> of
>> tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.
>>
>> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
> reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we first
> ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk, lol, she
> asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned about the
> basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead... later in the
> evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful memories, Lee
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Storrmmee > wrote:
>> : i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does ntot
>> : allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this
>> include
>> : all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
>> : soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy
>> cream
>> : cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee
>>
>> All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
>> same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
>> there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
>> non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
>> approved by a kosher supervising agancy.
>>
>> There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
>> make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit
>> of
>> lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds
>> of
>> tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.
>>
>> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sorry,

it wasn't the "kosherness", if thats a word, of the food, it was that she
was raised kosher and the smell of the two together really bothered her,
kosher only got explained when i asked what it meant, she gave me a very,
and i mean "designed for the ignorant gentile basic, but it was just by way
of explaining that she was grossed out by the smells, Lee
"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> There is no rule that says a Jew shouldn't watch a non-Jew eating meat and
> dairy together, or for that matter eating any other non-kosher food such
> as pork or shellfish. Our rules are only applicable to ourselves.
>
> However, if your friend was fully observant she would not eat food
> prepared in a non-kosher establishment.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
>> reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we first
>> ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk, lol, she
>> asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned about the
>> basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead... later in the
>> evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful memories, Lee
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Storrmmee > wrote:
>>> : i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does
>>> ntot
>>> : allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this
>>> include
>>> : all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
>>> : soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy
>>> cream
>>> : cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee
>>>
>>> All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
>>> same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
>>> there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
>>> non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
>>> approved by a kosher supervising agancy.
>>>
>>> There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
>>> make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit
>>> of
>>> lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds
>>> of
>>> tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.
>>>
>>> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't eat
them anyway...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

see my other post, Lee
"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> There is no rule that says a Jew shouldn't watch a non-Jew eating meat and
> dairy together, or for that matter eating any other non-kosher food such
> as pork or shellfish. Our rules are only applicable to ourselves.
>
> However, if your friend was fully observant she would not eat food
> prepared in a non-kosher establishment.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
>> reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we first
>> ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk, lol, she
>> asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned about the
>> basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead... later in the
>> evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful memories, Lee
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Storrmmee > wrote:
>>> : i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does
>>> ntot
>>> : allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this
>>> include
>>> : all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
>>> : soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy
>>> cream
>>> : cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee
>>>
>>> All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
>>> same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
>>> there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
>>> non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
>>> approved by a kosher supervising agancy.
>>>
>>> There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
>>> make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit
>>> of
>>> lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds
>>> of
>>> tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.
>>>
>>> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
> Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
> especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't eat
> them anyway...

So maybe it's just as well!

However, I think something pretty closely resembling real cheese blintzes
can be made low-carb. The blettlakh (crepes) don't have much flour to begin
with, haven't looked at a recipe but if a person is only going to eat one or
two blintzes, that part might not really be an issue... and the filling, ok
first of all use splenda instead of sugar, and then make sure to use
full-fat farmer cheese and cream cheese for the cheese parts, and the eggs
aren't a problem anyway... ???

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
> Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
> especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't eat
> them anyway...

So maybe it's just as well!

However, I think something pretty closely resembling real cheese blintzes
can be made low-carb. The blettlakh (crepes) don't have much flour to begin
with, haven't looked at a recipe but if a person is only going to eat one or
two blintzes, that part might not really be an issue... and the filling, ok
first of all use splenda instead of sugar, and then make sure to use
full-fat farmer cheese and cream cheese for the cheese parts, and the eggs
aren't a problem anyway... ???

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
> Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
> especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't eat
> them anyway...

So maybe it's just as well!

However, I think something pretty closely resembling real cheese blintzes
can be made low-carb. The blettlakh (crepes) don't have much flour to begin
with, haven't looked at a recipe but if a person is only going to eat one or
two blintzes, that part might not really be an issue... and the filling, ok
first of all use splenda instead of sugar, and then make sure to use
full-fat farmer cheese and cream cheese for the cheese parts, and the eggs
aren't a problem anyway... ???

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: we had a very interesting friendship, we both do the same kind of work,
: except she had more disabilities than blindness, we were able to discuss
: anything, and our relationship was much more open than most women share...
: she stuttered tremendously, but as i grew up next door to a guy that did,
: not only did her stuttering not bother me, i was able to NOT help her so she
: actually calmed down and she talked better, she would NEVER have asked
: someone else, but she was comfortable enough with me that she felt she
: could, just as when she came to a meeting a few months later, i asked her to
: NEVER wear the perfume she had on around me... i am allergic to most but
: this one was really hard on me... again, i am sure she wouldn't have asked
: another person, but we had almost immediate trust in each other,

: Lee

As a person who observes the kosher regulations, I would have no problem
with someone etng non-kosher food or combinations when eating with me, as
long as I have access to foods tht fit my religious requirements. If you
are not Jewish, yourself, you are under absolutely no obligation to
follow these rules.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
: Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
: especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't eat
: them anyway...

Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet > wrote:
>> This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on
>> Fifth Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their
>> blintzes, especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now
>> I couldn't eat them anyway...

> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-)
> You could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>
> Wendy

This is probably one of the times that it is lucky I'm not Jewish. I love, I
mean LOOVE, latkes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Janet > wrote:
> : This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
> : Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
> : especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't
> eat
> : them anyway...
>
> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
> could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>
> Wendy

I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.

Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs, zucchini,
onion, salt and pepper?

BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good substitutes
there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Janet > wrote:
> : This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
> : Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
> : especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't
> eat
> : them anyway...
>
> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
> could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>
> Wendy

I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.

Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs, zucchini,
onion, salt and pepper?

BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good substitutes
there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ellen K." > wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> > Janet > wrote:
> > : This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
> > : Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
> > : especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't
> > eat
> > : them anyway...
> >
> > Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
> > could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
> >
> > Wendy
> >

> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>
> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs, zucchini,
> onion, salt and pepper?

You need a little something to hold them together, if you care about
that. Last year, I used some gram (chickpea) flour, but you could use a
wee bit of matzo meal I suppose (I've done that). Obviously, you'd serve
them with sour cream, not applesauce!

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> W. Baker wrote:
>> Janet > wrote:
>>> This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on
>>> Fifth Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their
>>> blintzes, especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now
>>> I couldn't eat them anyway...

>> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-)
>> You could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>>
>> Wendy

> This is probably one of the times that it is lucky I'm not Jewish. I love,
> I mean LOOVE, latkes.

I don't think I have ever had one but I saw a pic the other day and they do
look good!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ellen K." > wrote:
>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> > Janet > wrote:
>> > : This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on
>> > Fifth
>> > : Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
>> > : especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't
>> > eat
>> > : them anyway...
>> >
>> > Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
>> > could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>> >
>> > Wendy
>> >

>> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>>
>> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs,
>> zucchini,
>> onion, salt and pepper?

> You need a little something to hold them together, if you care about
> that. Last year, I used some gram (chickpea) flour, but you could use a
> wee bit of matzo meal I suppose (I've done that). Obviously, you'd serve
> them with sour cream, not applesauce!

CHICKPEA FLOUR!!! What a great idea!!! Thank you!!!

> --
> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ellen K." > wrote:
>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> > Janet > wrote:
>> > : This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on
>> > Fifth
>> > : Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
>> > : especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't
>> > eat
>> > : them anyway...
>> >
>> > Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
>> > could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>> >
>> > Wendy
>> >

>> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>>
>> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs,
>> zucchini,
>> onion, salt and pepper?

> You need a little something to hold them together, if you care about
> that. Last year, I used some gram (chickpea) flour, but you could use a
> wee bit of matzo meal I suppose (I've done that). Obviously, you'd serve
> them with sour cream, not applesauce!

CHICKPEA FLOUR!!! What a great idea!!! Thank you!!!

> --
> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have already responded to this, Lee
"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> There is no rule that says a Jew shouldn't watch a non-Jew eating meat and
> dairy together, or for that matter eating any other non-kosher food such
> as pork or shellfish. Our rules are only applicable to ourselves.
>
> However, if your friend was fully observant she would not eat food
> prepared in a non-kosher establishment.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
>> reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we first
>> ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk, lol, she
>> asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned about the
>> basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead... later in the
>> evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful memories, Lee
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Storrmmee > wrote:
>>> : i know this sounds weird, but it is my impression that kosher does
>>> ntot
>>> : allow meat and dairy in the same meal/same time? if so does this
>>> include
>>> : all dairy or just milk? also can you use a substitute like parkey or
>>> : soy/rice cheese? i know this is off topic but i just read about soy
>>> cream
>>> : cheese substitute and that set me wondering, Lee
>>>
>>> All dairy is included in the injunction to not eat meat and milk in the
>>> same mal, etc. You can use supbstitutes like soy milk, etc as long as
>>> there is no lctose in it t all. that is , often why you have to use
>>> non-daiary products that carry a small label that tells you that it is
>>> approved by a kosher supervising agancy.
>>>
>>> There is a soy cream cheese substitute, brand name, Tofutti. They also
>>> make a sour cram subastitute. You can amake a substitue by adding bit
>>> of
>>> lemon juic eor vinegar to the soy milk to kind of curdle it. All kinds
>>> of
>>> tricks to try to broaden ones repetoire.
>>>
>>> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks but as i said before kosher was a sidbar/only a related topic, that
was brought up when i ask why a cheeseburger and milk grossed her out, and
no I am not jewish, although, if there were a jewish sect with jesus i might
be pursuaded, sounds odd but many of the customs do make a lot of sense, I
just heard a BBC heart and soul on the prayer for those who have passed on,
i won't even attempt a spelling of it, very beautiful if sad ritual, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : we had a very interesting friendship, we both do the same kind of work,
> : except she had more disabilities than blindness, we were able to discuss
> : anything, and our relationship was much more open than most women
> share...
> : she stuttered tremendously, but as i grew up next door to a guy that
> did,
> : not only did her stuttering not bother me, i was able to NOT help her so
> she
> : actually calmed down and she talked better, she would NEVER have asked
> : someone else, but she was comfortable enough with me that she felt she
> : could, just as when she came to a meeting a few months later, i asked
> her to
> : NEVER wear the perfume she had on around me... i am allergic to most but
> : this one was really hard on me... again, i am sure she wouldn't have
> asked
> : another person, but we had almost immediate trust in each other,
>
> : Lee
>
> As a person who observes the kosher regulations, I would have no problem
> with someone etng non-kosher food or combinations when eating with me, as
> long as I have access to foods tht fit my religious requirements. If you
> are not Jewish, yourself, you are under absolutely no obligation to
> follow these rules.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ellen K. > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Janet > wrote:
: > : This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on Fifth
: > : Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their blintzes,
: > : especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course now I couldn't
: > eat
: > : them anyway...
: >
: > Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
: > could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.

: Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs, zucchini,
: onion, salt and pepper?

: BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good substitutes
: there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

Also Bimuelos! I think you would need some binder for zuchinni latkes.
Perhaps a wee bit of flour. perhaps chick pea flour whichis a bit less
carby.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ellen K. wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Janet > wrote:
>>> This topic is making me yearn for the Kosher dairy restaurant on
>>> Fifth Avenue near a former office of mine in Manhattan. Their
>>> blintzes, especially the potato ones, were to die for. Of course
>>> now I couldn't eat them anyway...

>> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
>> could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>
> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs,
> zucchini, onion, salt and pepper?
>
> BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good
> substitutes there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

Possibly, but since the zucchini has no starch to bind things together you'd
have to experiment with the amount of egg. One thing that you would
*definitely* have to do is coarsely grate the zucchini, then toss it with
kosher salt in a colander and let the liquid drain for 1/2 hour. To reduce
the saltiness, rinse it briefly with cold water and squeeze the liquid out
with your hands.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I know. I'm really sorry about the multiple appearances of my posts, I have
complained to my ISP whose news server it is, they referred me to the
hosting outfit, who acknowledged my complaint but haven't yet responded.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i have already responded to this, Lee
> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>> There is no rule that says a Jew shouldn't watch a non-Jew eating meat
>> and dairy together, or for that matter eating any other non-kosher food
>> such as pork or shellfish. Our rules are only applicable to ourselves.
>>
>> However, if your friend was fully observant she would not eat food
>> prepared in a non-kosher establishment.
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
>>> reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we
>>> first ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk,
>>> lol, she asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned
>>> about the basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead...
>>> later in the evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful
>>> memories, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i have already responded to this, Lee
> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>> There is no rule that says a Jew shouldn't watch a non-Jew eating meat
>> and dairy together, or for that matter eating any other non-kosher food
>> such as pork or shellfish. Our rules are only applicable to ourselves.
>>
>> However, if your friend was fully observant she would not eat food
>> prepared in a non-kosher establishment.
>>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>> thanks, i find this subject very interesting, when i think of this i am
>>> reminded of a jewish friend who first introduced me to this when we
>>> first ate lunch together, i ordered a cheeseburger and glass of milk,
>>> lol, she asked if i would not order it and when i asked why i learned
>>> about the basics... so i got grilled chicken and iced tea instead...
>>> later in the evening we had milkshakes instead of dinner, wonderful
>>> memories, Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. wrote:
>>>
>>> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
>>> could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>>
>> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs,
>> zucchini, onion, salt and pepper?
>>
>> BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good
>> substitutes there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

> Possibly, but since the zucchini has no starch to bind things together
> you'd have to experiment with the amount of egg. One thing that you would
> *definitely* have to do is coarsely grate the zucchini, then toss it with
> kosher salt in a colander and let the liquid drain for 1/2 hour. To reduce
> the saltiness, rinse it briefly with cold water and squeeze the liquid out
> with your hands.

Well, I'm gonna look for chickpea flour which I imagine might be ok since I
can eat chickpeas... but IAC I think if I don't mind them coming out not
exactly like latkes it would even be ok without. I don't deepfry them
anyway (I know, I know, latkes are SUPPOSED to be fried...), so as long as
the pan is hot when I put the batter in they should form and be able to be
turned without breaking.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. wrote:
>>>
>>> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
>>> could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>>
>> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs,
>> zucchini, onion, salt and pepper?
>>
>> BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good
>> substitutes there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

> Possibly, but since the zucchini has no starch to bind things together
> you'd have to experiment with the amount of egg. One thing that you would
> *definitely* have to do is coarsely grate the zucchini, then toss it with
> kosher salt in a colander and let the liquid drain for 1/2 hour. To reduce
> the saltiness, rinse it briefly with cold water and squeeze the liquid out
> with your hands.

Well, I'm gonna look for chickpea flour which I imagine might be ok since I
can eat chickpeas... but IAC I think if I don't mind them coming out not
exactly like latkes it would even be ok without. I don't deepfry them
anyway (I know, I know, latkes are SUPPOSED to be fried...), so as long as
the pan is hot when I put the batter in they should form and be able to be
turned without breaking.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. wrote:
>>>
>>> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
>>> could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>>
>> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs,
>> zucchini, onion, salt and pepper?
>>
>> BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good
>> substitutes there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

> Possibly, but since the zucchini has no starch to bind things together
> you'd have to experiment with the amount of egg. One thing that you would
> *definitely* have to do is coarsely grate the zucchini, then toss it with
> kosher salt in a colander and let the liquid drain for 1/2 hour. To reduce
> the saltiness, rinse it briefly with cold water and squeeze the liquid out
> with your hands.

Well, I'm gonna look for chickpea flour which I imagine might be ok since I
can eat chickpeas... but IAC I think if I don't mind them coming out not
exactly like latkes it would even be ok without. I don't deepfry them
anyway (I know, I know, latkes are SUPPOSED to be fried...), so as long as
the pan is hot when I put the batter in they should form and be able to be
turned without breaking.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. wrote:
>>>
>>> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
>>> could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>>
>> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs,
>> zucchini, onion, salt and pepper?
>>
>> BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good
>> substitutes there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

> Possibly, but since the zucchini has no starch to bind things together
> you'd have to experiment with the amount of egg. One thing that you would
> *definitely* have to do is coarsely grate the zucchini, then toss it with
> kosher salt in a colander and let the liquid drain for 1/2 hour. To reduce
> the saltiness, rinse it briefly with cold water and squeeze the liquid out
> with your hands.

Well, I'm gonna look for chickpea flour which I imagine might be ok since I
can eat chickpeas... but IAC I think if I don't mind them coming out not
exactly like latkes it would even be ok without. I don't deepfry them
anyway (I know, I know, latkes are SUPPOSED to be fried...), so as long as
the pan is hot when I put the batter in they should form and be able to be
turned without breaking.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. wrote:
>>>
>>> Get ready to not et potato latkes. channukah starts Wed. night:-) You
>>> could , of course, try some zuchinni ones:-)
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>

>> I always made zucchini latkes with part potato, part zucchini.
>>
>> Do you think something like latkes would come out with only eggs,
>> zucchini, onion, salt and pepper?
>>
>> BTW, even worse, the Sephardim eat DONUTS for Chanukah, no good
>> substitutes there. The Moroccan ones are called sfenj.

> Possibly, but since the zucchini has no starch to bind things together
> you'd have to experiment with the amount of egg. One thing that you would
> *definitely* have to do is coarsely grate the zucchini, then toss it with
> kosher salt in a colander and let the liquid drain for 1/2 hour. To reduce
> the saltiness, rinse it briefly with cold water and squeeze the liquid out
> with your hands.

Well, I'm gonna look for chickpea flour which I imagine might be ok since I
can eat chickpeas... but IAC I think if I don't mind them coming out not
exactly like latkes it would even be ok without. I don't deepfry them
anyway (I know, I know, latkes are SUPPOSED to be fried...), so as long as
the pan is hot when I put the batter in they should form and be able to be
turned without breaking.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am also sorry, I didn't realize until afterwords that was what was going
on, on another group i am on i noticed it was gong on with another poster
there, then i came back and looked at this group again, our ISP is a major
PITA, so i will wish you the best of luck in getting a resolution... quick
would probably too much to ask for, lol, Lee
"Ellen K." > wrote in message
>I know. I'm really sorry about the multiple appearances of my posts, I
>have complained to my ISP whose news server it is, they referred me to the
>hosting outfit, who acknowledged my complaint but haven't yet responded.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i have already responded to this, Lee
>> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>>> There is no rule that says a Jew shouldn't watch a non-Jew eating meat
>>> and dairy together, or for that matter eating any other non-kosher food
>>> such as pork or shellfish. Our rules are only applicable to ourselves.
>>>
>>> However, if your friend was fully observant she would not eat food
>>> prepared in a non-kosher establishment.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and lol, haven't fixed it either, just hang in there, at least yours are
coming a few minutes apart, on the other group, they were showing up all at
once, I really do feel your pain, Lee
"Ellen K." > wrote in message
news
>I know. I'm really sorry about the multiple appearances of my posts, I
>have complained to my ISP whose news server it is, they referred me to the
>hosting outfit, who acknowledged my complaint but haven't yet responded.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i have already responded to this, Lee
>> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>>> There is no rule that says a Jew shouldn't watch a non-Jew eating meat
>>> and dairy together, or for that matter eating any other non-kosher food
>>> such as pork or shellfish. Our rules are only applicable to ourselves.
>>>
>>> However, if your friend was fully observant she would not eat food
>>> prepared in a non-kosher establishment.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ellen K. > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Storrmmee > wrote:
[...]

That is why those of us wh keep kosher need to have our hachsher on many
priducts , because there well may be ingrredients with a long distnt dairy
base that can be a problem, like much lactic acid. this is also why many
with milk allergies look for products that have hechshers tht show either
meat or neutral(parev) so they can have the assurance that there is no
dairy based acids etc in the product.

Wendy

Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 6 13-10-2013 07:04 AM
ping wendy and evelyn ot Storrmmee Diabetic 12 16-10-2011 06:17 PM
Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 42 23-06-2011 10:10 AM
Ping: Wendy and Janet Priscilla Ballou Diabetic 0 01-06-2008 04:03 AM
Ping: Wendy Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 14 30-05-2008 03:53 AM