Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ping wendy and evelyn ot

i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen matsa
ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so what
brand/where would she get it? Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen matsa
>ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so what
>brand/where would she get it? Lee

http://www.amazon.com/MANISCHEWITZ-M.../dp/B001EO5X7G

Should be in the Jewish section of any grocery store.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we only have "an ethnic" section here in the midwest... mostly asian and
mexican some indian no jewish or italian in that section... but then most of
our groceries are walmart or small independents, might be a section in one
of the upscale ones in st louis, but i will send her this link for amazon,
never even thought to look there, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen matsa
>>ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so what
>>brand/where would she get it? Lee

> http://www.amazon.com/MANISCHEWITZ-M.../dp/B001EO5X7G
>
> Should be in the Jewish section of any grocery store.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen matsa
: ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so what
: brand/where would she get it? Lee

Matzo ball soup in a package, which I have never used, should be a packet
of a mix that you make into matzo balls by following instructions and a
packed of a dehydrated soup mix that is probably quite salty. I generally
make my own matzo balls from a recipe and add them to my home make chicken
soup.

There are matxo ball mix in boxes without the soup packet, which some
poeple say are vry good. You could than put them(once cooked) into your
own soup or a boxed chicken soup of yur choice.

The brands I see are Manishevitz(sp?) Goodmans, and several others of
much smaller brands.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 00:07:47 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen matsa
>ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so what
>brand/where would she get it? Lee

Lee,

All it is, is plain, good-quality chicken broth, but you have to make
the Matzo balls yourself. I buy Streits Matzo meal in the Jewish
food section of the supermarket and follow the recipe right on the
box. It is very simple to do, but there are some tricks.

Basically You beat the eggs, add a little water and salt and pepper to
that, then put in the Matzo meal and some melted butter, blend it
together and then allow it to sit in the fridge for a good half hour
while the matzo meal soaks up the eggs. The mixture thickens up
while it sits.

Then you bring your broth to a boil and with WET hands, form the
mixture into small balls and drop them into the simmering soup. It
is time consuming, since you may need to re-wet your hands from time
to time, and you can't cheat on the size either... they swell up as
they cook, so keep them small.

Cover the pot and simmer gently till they are done.

This recipe, with the exact amounts, is on the box. Also, I use
melted butter in them, which is NOT properly Kosher, if that is
important to you. The recipe usually calls for melted chicken fat.
If you have some on hand, that is perfect.

I also do NOT cook them in the broth, but in a separate pot of boiling
salted water, since they tend to soak up all the broth. Then
afterwards I add them to the broth and serve.

It is absolutely delicious.

A neighbor of mine makes something similar with dumplings made of egg
and farina. The taste is almost exactly the same, but the matzo
balls are probably easier to make.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 22:48:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen matsa
>>ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so what
>>brand/where would she get it? Lee

>http://www.amazon.com/MANISCHEWITZ-M.../dp/B001EO5X7G
>
>Should be in the Jewish section of any grocery store.

I haven't had such good luck with their matzo meal, but the Streit's
is perfect.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 01:12:33 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>we only have "an ethnic" section here in the midwest... mostly asian and
>mexican some indian no jewish or italian in that section... but then most of
>our groceries are walmart or small independents, might be a section in one
>of the upscale ones in st louis, but i will send her this link for amazon,
>never even thought to look there, Lee

Lee, this is a reasonable alternative with similar ingredients and
similar taste. These are the farina dumplings I mentioned in my
other posting.

FARINA SOUP DUMPLINGS
6 tbsp. soft butter
4 med. eggs
12 heaping tbsp. reg. farina
2 1/2 to 3 qts. chicken or beef stock

In a bowl, mix by hand the butter and eggs. Gradually add farina and
mix until well blended. Let sit 25 to 30 minutes. Spoon batter, a
generous teaspoon at a time, into simmering soup stock. Hold spoon in
stock for a second or two, the dumplings will fall from the spoon more
quickly. Cover and simmer dumplings until light and fluffy, 35 to 40
minutes.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

[...]

I hold with what Evelyn says, except for that butter, which, IMHO woul
dchange the tste. You can us, eithe rmelted rendered chicken fat(the
original) or us a not highly flavor oil and use some chicken soup powder
in place of the slt in the recipe.

I also always boil my matzo balls in a large pot, very full of water, not
th soup, as it uses up all yur soup:-) Keep the pot covered if you want
them nice and light and don't crowd the pot.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

There is no such thing as "matzo ball soup" It is chicken broth with
matzo meal dumplings.

Never cook matzo balls in the soup.*

I use rendered chicken fat** for my matzo balls, too. The trick is to
refrigerate the mixture for at least 45 minutes. Most times I make the
mixture a day ahead and keep it in the fridge until ready to use.

They should be rolled into golf ball size or smaller, with wet hands and
put into rapidly boiling water which has a little salt in it. Be very
gentle with the matzo balls. Just get them round and don't handle the
mixture too much.

When all the balls are in the pot, lower the heat to a slow boil, cover
and cook undisturbed for 45 minutes.

While the matzo balls are cooking, heat your soup/broth to luke warm.
When the matzo balls are done, remove them one at a time with a slotted
spoon and put them into the soup. Continue to heat the soup to desired
serving temp.

The colder the matzo meal mix and the length of slow boiling the matzo
balls are what makes for fluffy matzo balls.

The recipe on the matzo meal box is just fine. I add white pepper and a
tiny pinch of freshly grated nutmeg to mine.

Now you know the secrets of the Harlingen, TX "Matzo Ball Queen" who has
been feeding them to 80+ congregants every year at our communal seder. :-)

*The fat in the matzo balls cooks out during the cooking process and
that will make your soup greasy. You can see it in the water.

**To make chicken fat, save the fat from around the cavity of a whole
chicken or from the skin of chicken breasts. Just freeze it in a baggie.
It keeps forever. Keep adding more fat clumps and fatty skin to the
baggie and refreeze.

When you have about half a pound, let it thaw slightly and cut it into
small pieces. (partially frozen fat cuts better)

Place the pieces (skins also good) into a small, heavy sauce pan. Add a
tablespoon of water and heat until the pieces of skin floating on the
top (cracklings or gribbeness) start to turn golden and the fat is
rendered into liquid. Add a tablespoon of finely chopped onion and
continue to cook until the onion starts to brown. Remove from the heat
and strain the fat into a heatproof glass measuring cup. Wren cool, you
can transfer it to refrigerator container. It will keep in the fridge
for eternity.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, perhaps i should have just asked for the ball/soup recipe in the
first place, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen matsa
> : ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so
> what
> : brand/where would she get it? Lee
>
> Matzo ball soup in a package, which I have never used, should be a packet
> of a mix that you make into matzo balls by following instructions and a
> packed of a dehydrated soup mix that is probably quite salty. I generally
> make my own matzo balls from a recipe and add them to my home make chicken
> soup.
>
> There are matxo ball mix in boxes without the soup packet, which some
> poeple say are vry good. You could than put them(once cooked) into your
> own soup or a boxed chicken soup of yur choice.
>
> The brands I see are Manishevitz(sp?) Goodmans, and several others of
> much smaller brands.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks so much, kosher isn't a strict thing although she is interested in
that from a cultural study sort of perspective, last year she went to a
sater, sp meal hosted by a friends church in an interdenominational program,
she is as fascinated with diverse cultures as i am, and frankly from my
reading kosher is pretty healthy as well, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 00:07:47 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen matsa
>>ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so what
>>brand/where would she get it? Lee

> Lee,
>
> All it is, is plain, good-quality chicken broth, but you have to make
> the Matzo balls yourself. I buy Streits Matzo meal in the Jewish
> food section of the supermarket and follow the recipe right on the
> box. It is very simple to do, but there are some tricks.
>
> Basically You beat the eggs, add a little water and salt and pepper to
> that, then put in the Matzo meal and some melted butter, blend it
> together and then allow it to sit in the fridge for a good half hour
> while the matzo meal soaks up the eggs. The mixture thickens up
> while it sits.
>
> Then you bring your broth to a boil and with WET hands, form the
> mixture into small balls and drop them into the simmering soup. It
> is time consuming, since you may need to re-wet your hands from time
> to time, and you can't cheat on the size either... they swell up as
> they cook, so keep them small.
>
> Cover the pot and simmer gently till they are done.
>
> This recipe, with the exact amounts, is on the box. Also, I use
> melted butter in them, which is NOT properly Kosher, if that is
> important to you. The recipe usually calls for melted chicken fat.
> If you have some on hand, that is perfect.
>
> I also do NOT cook them in the broth, but in a separate pot of boiling
> salted water, since they tend to soak up all the broth. Then
> afterwards I add them to the broth and serve.
>
> It is absolutely delicious.
>
> A neighbor of mine makes something similar with dumplings made of egg
> and farina. The taste is almost exactly the same, but the matzo
> balls are probably easier to make.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i think this is going on our project list next time we get together, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 00:07:47 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> : > wrote:
>
> : >i was talking to a firend tonight and neither of us have ever seen
> matsa
> : >ball, sp soup in a prepared package, is there such a thing and if so
> what
> : >brand/where would she get it? Lee
>

> : Lee,
>
> : All it is, is plain, good-quality chicken broth, but you have to make
> : the Matzo balls yourself. I buy Streits Matzo meal in the Jewish
> : food section of the supermarket and follow the recipe right on the
> : box. It is very simple to do, but there are some tricks.
>
> : Basically You beat the eggs, add a little water and salt and pepper to
> : that, then put in the Matzo meal and some melted butter, blend it
> : together and then allow it to sit in the fridge for a good half hour
> : while the matzo meal soaks up the eggs. The mixture thickens up
> : while it sits.
>
> : Then you bring your broth to a boil and with WET hands, form the
> : mixture into small balls and drop them into the simmering soup. It
> : is time consuming, since you may need to re-wet your hands from time
> : to time, and you can't cheat on the size either... they swell up as
> : they cook, so keep them small.
>
> : Cover the pot and simmer gently till they are done.
>
> : This recipe, with the exact amounts, is on the box. Also, I use
> : melted butter in them, which is NOT properly Kosher, if that is
> : important to you. The recipe usually calls for melted chicken fat.
> : If you have some on hand, that is perfect.
>
> : I also do NOT cook them in the broth, but in a separate pot of boiling
> : salted water, since they tend to soak up all the broth. Then
> : afterwards I add them to the broth and serve.
>
> : It is absolutely delicious.
>
> : A neighbor of mine makes something similar with dumplings made of egg
> : and farina. The taste is almost exactly the same, but the matzo
> : balls are probably easier to make.
>
> : Evelyn
>
> I hold with what Evelyn says, except for that butter, which, IMHO woul
> dchange the tste. You can us, eithe rmelted rendered chicken fat(the
> original) or us a not highly flavor oil and use some chicken soup powder
> in place of the slt in the recipe.
>
> I also always boil my matzo balls in a large pot, very full of water, not
> th soup, as it uses up all yur soup:-) Keep the pot covered if you want
> them nice and light and don't crowd the pot.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, these are all good things to know, i really think this is on our
project list, Lee
eb.com...

Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 6 13-10-2013 07:04 AM
Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 42 23-06-2011 10:10 AM
ping Evelyn W. Baker Diabetic 1 15-03-2010 09:57 PM
Ping: Wendy and Janet Priscilla Ballou Diabetic 0 01-06-2008 04:03 AM
Ping: Wendy Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 14 30-05-2008 03:53 AM