Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ping: Wendy

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
> : Wendy, have you seen this?
>
> : It's a Kosher diabetic cookbook.
>
> : http://www.jewishdiabetes.org/
> : --
> : Janet Wilder
> : Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> : Good Friends. Good Life
>
> Just back from a LOOONG weekend so havn't had a chance to look it up.
> will let you know. My DIL got me a diabetic cookbook canlled Enlitened
> Kosher Cooking by Nechemia Cohen. It seems to be written TO ACCOMODATE
> BOTH LOW ER CARB AND LOWER FAT DIETS, EMPHASISING (AS USUAL) "HEALTHY"
> WHOLE GRAIN CARBS AND "GOOD" FATS AND OILS. Many of the recipes are quite
> low carb and may pastry recipes use almond flour, soy flour etc, so it can
> be quite low carb. There is, of course emphasis on on finding ways to
> have many traditional kosher dishes and shabat and holiday foods adapted
> to lower carb and, usually, lower fat versions. They are not afraid of
> artificial sweeteners as so many diabetic cookbooks seem to be. some of
> the recipies I have tried are quite good. I want to try a mandelbrot
> (biscotti type cookie) that they have that used almond flour.

That is the same one I sent you the link to. I'd be interested in how
the mandelbrot comes out. Let me know, please.

> By the way, with Shavuot coming up I will post my spinach kugel tht i
> adapted from my mother's noodle kugel, which is rich in cheese, sour
> cream, if desired, etc. but no noodles! I alsoo make my lower fat, low
> carb cheesecake for this holiday and hope to have my vegetarian son and
> his family over for that meal. Not sure how Zoe, aged 5, will like tht
> spinach kugel, althose she does like "trees", (brocolli crowns).

I'd love the spinach kugel recipe. Please, please post it.

I used to be able to get Manischewitz low-carb luxion (noodles) but the
stores no longer carry it now that "low-carb" is no longer the diet
craze of the moment. I have thought about breaking up Dreamfields
lasagna noodles to use in a kugel, but....nah. If I do make a noodle
kugel, most of it gets frozen and we use extreme portion control.

My mother always made cheese blintzes for Shavuot. DH only likes potato
blintzes so he doesn't get any. :-)

Janet