Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ping Wendy

I could be wrong here but I believe you said you either work at a food bank
or have worked at one. If this is true, I have a question. Do they take
expired food? This subject came up on a couponing site where many people
are saying they donate their expired food. But there is one woman there who
works at a food bank and she said they are unable to give it out and have to
just toss it. She said they toss most of the food donated because the cans
are dented or the food is badly expired. Some by as much as years. Yet
there are other people who claim their food bank does take expired food or
that they themselves have gotten expired food from a food bank. I know
there is no universal answer on this and each food bank would be different.
I just would never donate expired food. To me that seems like a mean thing
to do.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

The food banks I am associated with, both in NYC and Margaretville discard
all expired food. I believe that it is the law in NYC. I, myself, have
often used slighly outdated food with no harm. Of course, I do examine it
to make sure the can and the contents are all OK.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I could be wrong here but I believe you said you either work at a
> food bank
> : or have worked at one. If this is true, I have a question. Do they
> take
> : expired food? This subject came up on a couponing site where many
> people
> : are saying they donate their expired food. But there is one woman
> there who
> : works at a food bank and she said they are unable to give it out and
> have to
> : just toss it. She said they toss most of the food donated because
> the cans
> : are dented or the food is badly expired. Some by as much as years.
> Yet
> : there are other people who claim their food bank does take expired
> food or
> : that they themselves have gotten expired food from a food bank. I
> know
> : there is no universal answer on this and each food bank would be
> different.
> : I just would never donate expired food. To me that seems like a
> mean thing
> : to do.
>
> : Thanks!
>
> The food banks I am associated with, both in NYC and Margaretville
> discard
> all expired food. I believe that it is the law in NYC. I, myself,
> have
> often used slighly outdated food with no harm. Of course, I do
> examine it
> to make sure the can and the contents are all OK.

Are they expired dates or best by dates? Canned food will last for years
after best by. Packaged or fresh obviously don't. I have received cans
past best by date from food banks and nothing wrong with them. Pity the
rules couldn't be bit more lenient especially for canned foods. I was
given a bunch of stuff when an aunt died and I made buttermilk pancakes
from a powdered mix in sachets that were 7 years past the expiry date. I
lived And the quality was great.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I could be wrong here but I believe you said you either work at a food
> bank
> : or have worked at one. If this is true, I have a question. Do they
> take
> : expired food? This subject came up on a couponing site where many
> people
> : are saying they donate their expired food. But there is one woman there
> who
> : works at a food bank and she said they are unable to give it out and
> have to
> : just toss it. She said they toss most of the food donated because the
> cans
> : are dented or the food is badly expired. Some by as much as years. Yet
> : there are other people who claim their food bank does take expired food
> or
> : that they themselves have gotten expired food from a food bank. I know
> : there is no universal answer on this and each food bank would be
> different.
> : I just would never donate expired food. To me that seems like a mean
> thing
> : to do.
>
> : Thanks!
>
> The food banks I am associated with, both in NYC and Margaretville discard
> all expired food. I believe that it is the law in NYC. I, myself, have
> often used slighly outdated food with no harm. Of course, I do examine it
> to make sure the can and the contents are all OK.

Thanks. I pointed out that while I don't normally eat expired food, I do
sometimes eat it at home but that's my call. I would never give expired
food to other people like that. Some people seem to think it is a kind
thing to do. I think otherwise. I'm glad they throw it out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> : I could be wrong here but I believe you said you either work at a food
>> bank
>> : or have worked at one. If this is true, I have a question. Do they
>> take
>> : expired food? This subject came up on a couponing site where many
>> people
>> : are saying they donate their expired food. But there is one woman
>> there who
>> : works at a food bank and she said they are unable to give it out and
>> have to
>> : just toss it. She said they toss most of the food donated because the
>> cans
>> : are dented or the food is badly expired. Some by as much as years. Yet
>> : there are other people who claim their food bank does take expired food
>> or
>> : that they themselves have gotten expired food from a food bank. I know
>> : there is no universal answer on this and each food bank would be
>> different.
>> : I just would never donate expired food. To me that seems like a mean
>> thing
>> : to do.
>>
>> : Thanks!
>>
>> The food banks I am associated with, both in NYC and Margaretville
>> discard
>> all expired food. I believe that it is the law in NYC. I, myself, have
>> often used slighly outdated food with no harm. Of course, I do examine
>> it
>> to make sure the can and the contents are all OK.

> Are they expired dates or best by dates? Canned food will last for years
> after best by. Packaged or fresh obviously don't. I have received cans
> past best by date from food banks and nothing wrong with them. Pity the
> rules couldn't be bit more lenient especially for canned foods. I was
> given a bunch of stuff when an aunt died and I made buttermilk pancakes
> from a powdered mix in sachets that were 7 years past the expiry date. I
> lived And the quality was great.

Canned tomatoes can go very bad. I accidentally bought some that were
expired by just a few months. I also had a can that was not expired. I
opened them and compared them. World of difference between them as to color
and texture. I threw them out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things
in the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
deterioration in canned foods.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Canned tomatoes can go very bad. I accidentally bought some that were
> expired by just a few months. I also had a can that was not expired.
> I opened them and compared them. World of difference between them as
> to color and texture. I threw them out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things in
>the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
>deterioration in canned foods.

Me either.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things in
>the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
>deterioration in canned foods.

A while back I put a bunch of old canned things down the sink. I have been
more careful since then to check expiration dates and not buy too many
extras. Anyway... Most of the stuff looked fine when I tossed it. I
didn't taste anything. There were several cans of beans, some soup and I
can't remember what all else. It was mostly the tomato or tomato containing
things that didn't look right.

We were just having a discussion on a couponing forum that the cans in this
country seem to get dented very easily of late. So there is some
difference. I just don't know what it is.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find
>>things in the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never
>>seen a deterioration in canned foods.

> A while back I put a bunch of old canned things down the sink. I have
> been more careful since then to check expiration dates and not buy too
> many extras. Anyway... Most of the stuff looked fine when I tossed
> it. I didn't taste anything. There were several cans of beans, some
> soup and I can't remember what all else. It was mostly the tomato or
> tomato containing things that didn't look right.
>
> We were just having a discussion on a couponing forum that the cans in
> this country seem to get dented very easily of late. So there is some
> difference. I just don't know what it is.

Do your cans have a white lining like ours do?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find
>>things in the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never
>>seen a deterioration in canned foods.

> Me either.
>
> Cheri

I even, gasp, eat canned fish out of date

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things
>>>in the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
>>>deterioration in canned foods.

>> A while back I put a bunch of old canned things down the sink. I have
>> been more careful since then to check expiration dates and not buy too
>> many extras. Anyway... Most of the stuff looked fine when I tossed it.
>> I didn't taste anything. There were several cans of beans, some soup and
>> I can't remember what all else. It was mostly the tomato or tomato
>> containing things that didn't look right.
>>
>> We were just having a discussion on a couponing forum that the cans in
>> this country seem to get dented very easily of late. So there is some
>> difference. I just don't know what it is.

> Do your cans have a white lining like ours do?

I think only the ones with acidic foods in them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:48:30 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find
>>>things in the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never
>>>seen a deterioration in canned foods.

>> Me either.
>>
>> Cheri

>I even, gasp, eat canned fish out of date

When my husband was in Vietnam, he told me they were serving them
canned food which had been put away during WWII and it was still good.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:15:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things in
>>the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
>>deterioration in canned foods.

>A while back I put a bunch of old canned things down the sink. I have been
>more careful since then to check expiration dates and not buy too many
>extras. Anyway... Most of the stuff looked fine when I tossed it. I
>didn't taste anything. There were several cans of beans, some soup and I
>can't remember what all else. It was mostly the tomato or tomato containing
>things that didn't look right.
>
>We were just having a discussion on a couponing forum that the cans in this
>country seem to get dented very easily of late. So there is some
>difference. I just don't know what it is.

When the cans are lined with white plastic the tomatoes seldom go bad.
Years ago they didn't line the cans, and the acidity of the tomatoes
would eat away at the sealed edges and the cans would go bad more
often. Nowadays I never even see a can without that lining if the
contents are acidic.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:15:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things
>>>in
>>>the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
>>>deterioration in canned foods.

>>A while back I put a bunch of old canned things down the sink. I have
>>been
>>more careful since then to check expiration dates and not buy too many
>>extras. Anyway... Most of the stuff looked fine when I tossed it. I
>>didn't taste anything. There were several cans of beans, some soup and I
>>can't remember what all else. It was mostly the tomato or tomato
>>containing
>>things that didn't look right.
>>
>>We were just having a discussion on a couponing forum that the cans in
>>this
>>country seem to get dented very easily of late. So there is some
>>difference. I just don't know what it is.

> When the cans are lined with white plastic the tomatoes seldom go bad.
> Years ago they didn't line the cans, and the acidity of the tomatoes
> would eat away at the sealed edges and the cans would go bad more
> often. Nowadays I never even see a can without that lining if the
> contents are acidic.

Well I know my tomatoes went bad. The can wasn't eaten through but the
quality of the tomatoes suffered.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>>I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things
>>>in the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
>>>deterioration in canned foods.

>> Me either.
>>
>> Cheri

> I even, gasp, eat canned fish out of date

I don't usually pay attention to outdates on canned food at all. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]
: >
: > : Thanks!
: >
: > The food banks I am associated with, both in NYC and Margaretville
: > discard
: > all expired food. I believe that it is the law in NYC. I, myself,
: > have
: > often used slighly outdated food with no harm. Of course, I do
: > examine it
: > to make sure the can and the contents are all OK.

: Are they expired dates or best by dates? Canned food will last for years
: after best by. Packaged or fresh obviously don't. I have received cans
: past best by date from food banks and nothing wrong with them. Pity the
: rules couldn't be bit more lenient especially for canned foods. I was
: given a bunch of stuff when an aunt died and I made buttermilk pancakes
: from a powdered mix in sachets that were 7 years past the expiry date. I
: lived And the quality was great.

It is the date that is usually eithe rstamped on the top or sometimes in
raised letters on the top. I know that I keep my home made jam in jars
that I sterilize for years on occasiona, but , appparantly, the
government is trying to not have the peole at the food banks have to use
an judgement once the date is passed. What I love is the guessy donations
of cans with n paper labels, so you have no idea what is inside:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things
: in the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
: deterioration in canned foods.

Me too!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:15:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
: > wrote:

: >
: >"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Yup! I remember those swollen or, even oozing cans before the white
linings. I just realized that I havn't seen that in years.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/24/2011 10:48 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find
>>> things in the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never
>>> seen a deterioration in canned foods.

>> Me either.
>>
>> Cheri

> I even, gasp, eat canned fish out of date

being home canned fish and vegetables and such............. we've never
had an expiry date on the cans, just the date we canned/pickled the items

the beets from Sept 2003 still taste great, the seals are good, there is
no rusting of the lid/ring.........the cans/jars are stored in a dark
cool room

oh well, i'm still alive
(no, i do not eat food that smells bad when i open it........ oddly
enough, that happened with the store bought tomato paste that i had in
the cupboard)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/25/2011 2:41 AM, Evelyn wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:15:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message
>>> I wonder if we have different canning methods here. I often find things in
>>> the back of the pantry I had forgotten about and have never seen a
>>> deterioration in canned foods.

>> A while back I put a bunch of old canned things down the sink. I have been
>> more careful since then to check expiration dates and not buy too many
>> extras. Anyway... Most of the stuff looked fine when I tossed it. I
>> didn't taste anything. There were several cans of beans, some soup and I
>> can't remember what all else. It was mostly the tomato or tomato containing
>> things that didn't look right.
>>
>> We were just having a discussion on a couponing forum that the cans in this
>> country seem to get dented very easily of late. So there is some
>> difference. I just don't know what it is.

> When the cans are lined with white plastic the tomatoes seldom go bad.
> Years ago they didn't line the cans, and the acidity of the tomatoes
> would eat away at the sealed edges and the cans would go bad more
> often. Nowadays I never even see a can without that lining if the
> contents are acidic.
>
> Evelyn

that's the type of lining the tomato paste can had/has in it

it still went 'off'

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> was
> : given a bunch of stuff when an aunt died and I made buttermilk
> pancakes
> : from a powdered mix in sachets that were 7 years past the expiry
> date. I
> : lived And the quality was great.
>
> It is the date that is usually eithe rstamped on the top or sometimes
> in
> raised letters on the top. I know that I keep my home made jam in
> jars
> that I sterilize for years on occasiona, but , appparantly, the
> government is trying to not have the peole at the food banks have to
> use
> an judgement once the date is passed. What I love is the guessy
> donations
> of cans with n paper labels, so you have no idea what is inside:-)

When I was a teenager a friend's father used to buy unlabelled stuff
very cheap. He wrote down the codes stamped on the bottoms of the can so
when he went to buy them he knew what he was buying.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

when the dh and i realised we had some food that got pushed to the back of
the line, we brought everything onto the counter that was close or already
expired, we sorted it to things like gree vegetables canned starches, when
we made a meal we chose from those foods first... again being careful, and
if something was the least suspect it went, however this worked well enough
to get through the food, stopped us from buying and made us much more aware
of what we were purchasing.

Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I could be wrong here but I believe you said you either work at a food
> bank
> : or have worked at one. If this is true, I have a question. Do they
> take
> : expired food? This subject came up on a couponing site where many
> people
> : are saying they donate their expired food. But there is one woman there
> who
> : works at a food bank and she said they are unable to give it out and
> have to
> : just toss it. She said they toss most of the food donated because the
> cans
> : are dented or the food is badly expired. Some by as much as years. Yet
> : there are other people who claim their food bank does take expired food
> or
> : that they themselves have gotten expired food from a food bank. I know
> : there is no universal answer on this and each food bank would be
> different.
> : I just would never donate expired food. To me that seems like a mean
> thing
> : to do.
>
> : Thanks!
>
> The food banks I am associated with, both in NYC and Margaretville discard
> all expired food. I believe that it is the law in NYC. I, myself, have
> often used slighly outdated food with no harm. Of course, I do examine it
> to make sure the can and the contents are all OK.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the whole date thing is to cya of the producer and sellers not to protect
you the consumer... if you know how the food has been handled it can be
eaten without any issues at all.

Lee

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> : I could be wrong here but I believe you said you either work at a food
>> bank
>> : or have worked at one. If this is true, I have a question. Do they
>> take
>> : expired food? This subject came up on a couponing site where many
>> people
>> : are saying they donate their expired food. But there is one woman
>> there who
>> : works at a food bank and she said they are unable to give it out and
>> have to
>> : just toss it. She said they toss most of the food donated because the
>> cans
>> : are dented or the food is badly expired. Some by as much as years. Yet
>> : there are other people who claim their food bank does take expired food
>> or
>> : that they themselves have gotten expired food from a food bank. I know
>> : there is no universal answer on this and each food bank would be
>> different.
>> : I just would never donate expired food. To me that seems like a mean
>> thing
>> : to do.
>>
>> : Thanks!
>>
>> The food banks I am associated with, both in NYC and Margaretville
>> discard
>> all expired food. I believe that it is the law in NYC. I, myself, have
>> often used slighly outdated food with no harm. Of course, I do examine
>> it
>> to make sure the can and the contents are all OK.

> Are they expired dates or best by dates? Canned food will last for years
> after best by. Packaged or fresh obviously don't. I have received cans
> past best by date from food banks and nothing wrong with them. Pity the
> rules couldn't be bit more lenient especially for canned foods. I was
> given a bunch of stuff when an aunt died and I made buttermilk pancakes
> from a powdered mix in sachets that were 7 years past the expiry date. I
> lived And the quality was great.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> when the dh and i realised we had some food that got pushed to the back of
> the line, we brought everything onto the counter that was close or already
> expired, we sorted it to things like gree vegetables canned starches, when
> we made a meal we chose from those foods first... again being careful, and
> if something was the least suspect it went, however this worked well
> enough to get through the food, stopped us from buying and made us much
> more aware of what we were purchasing.

I pull that stuff out of the cupboard and put it on the counter to use.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it works really well because you also don't buy more food in general and
maybe you don't buy what expired again for quite a while, Lee

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> when the dh and i realised we had some food that got pushed to the back
>> of the line, we brought everything onto the counter that was close or
>> already expired, we sorted it to things like gree vegetables canned
>> starches, when we made a meal we chose from those foods first... again
>> being careful, and if something was the least suspect it went, however
>> this worked well enough to get through the food, stopped us from buying
>> and made us much more aware of what we were purchasing.

> I pull that stuff out of the cupboard and put it on the counter to use.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> the whole date thing is to cya of the producer and sellers not to protect
> you the consumer... if you know how the food has been handled it can be
> eaten without any issues at all.

Someone on the couponing group pointed out that you don't necessarily know
how it was handled before it got to you. And that's true!

I learned that the Costco here used to leave their carrots out of
refrigeration for a while. Either that or they were being left
unrefrigerated before they got to the store. They would look fine but would
go slimy right away.

I also learned that the dairy products I was buying at a store in NY were
being left out of refrigeration for hours at a time. I know this because
one day Angela and I were in the store and saw stuff sitting on flatbeds,
not being attended to. We did our shopping very slowly, going up and down
each aisle and taking our time. Two hours later they were still there. So
we went to the Family Dollar in the same shopping center then when we were
done there went back to check the dairy. It was still out. I had been
buying dairy at this store only to eventually discover that it was sour.
Nobody bothered to tell me this. I just know Angela refused to drink milk.
It smelled sour to me but I hate milk. Then my husband told me it was bad.
I had been buying it for months! I then discovered the faulty dairy case
and also noted that during big sales they would put floor stacks of milk and
other things in front of the case.

The same store was caught trying to sell meat that had been left out of
refrigeration for about a week when we had that power outage. And it was
teeming with fruit flies. Alas, it was the closet supermarket to us. After
I discovered how horrid they were I would only buy canned goods there.
There was a little family grocer closer to where we lived. I could count on
them for fresh dairy and meat but their prices were high. So mostly I tried
to buy as much as I could at the commissary in Brooklyn.

Someone many years ago posted either here or at ASD that their store
mishandled diet soda Apparently things with Aspartame go bad quite quickly
when exposed to high heat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i sell soda as a part of my business, i can tell you the shelf life for
regular is twice as long as nutracrap, and might be for splenda but i
haven't looked at that yet...

if it gets much over eighty f i hesitate to sell it as it can go off and in
a big hurry...Lee

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> the whole date thing is to cya of the producer and sellers not to protect
>> you the consumer... if you know how the food has been handled it can be
>> eaten without any issues at all.
>>

> Someone on the couponing group pointed out that you don't necessarily know
> how it was handled before it got to you. And that's true!
>
> I learned that the Costco here used to leave their carrots out of
> refrigeration for a while. Either that or they were being left
> unrefrigerated before they got to the store. They would look fine but
> would go slimy right away.
>
> I also learned that the dairy products I was buying at a store in NY were
> being left out of refrigeration for hours at a time. I know this because
> one day Angela and I were in the store and saw stuff sitting on flatbeds,
> not being attended to. We did our shopping very slowly, going up and down
> each aisle and taking our time. Two hours later they were still there.
> So we went to the Family Dollar in the same shopping center then when we
> were done there went back to check the dairy. It was still out. I had
> been buying dairy at this store only to eventually discover that it was
> sour. Nobody bothered to tell me this. I just know Angela refused to
> drink milk. It smelled sour to me but I hate milk. Then my husband told
> me it was bad. I had been buying it for months! I then discovered the
> faulty dairy case and also noted that during big sales they would put
> floor stacks of milk and other things in front of the case.
>
> The same store was caught trying to sell meat that had been left out of
> refrigeration for about a week when we had that power outage. And it was
> teeming with fruit flies. Alas, it was the closet supermarket to us.
> After I discovered how horrid they were I would only buy canned goods
> there. There was a little family grocer closer to where we lived. I could
> count on them for fresh dairy and meat but their prices were high. So
> mostly I tried to buy as much as I could at the commissary in Brooklyn.
>
> Someone many years ago posted either here or at ASD that their store
> mishandled diet soda Apparently things with Aspartame go bad quite
> quickly when exposed to high heat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> i sell soda as a part of my business, i can tell you the shelf life
> for regular is twice as long as nutracrap, and might be for splenda
> but i haven't looked at that yet...

I've always heard about that heat thing in here but I have to tell you I
have been drinking diet drinks with aspartame for many years and there
is always one left unfinished somewhere in my car at any one time. I
have never noticed a difference in flavour, sometimes they even still
have gas. I live in a very hot climate. I can drink something that's
been sitting in my drink holder for months during summer and no change
of taste. once again, like canning there may be some kind of difference
here in Australia to you guys. Could even be an ingredient difference.
I do know for one thing that we don't use HFCS in anything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> it works really well because you also don't buy more food in general and
> maybe you don't buy what expired again for quite a while, Lee

I am trying to keep much closer tabs on the food. I am doing pretty well
for the most part. I do have to throw out some bread and lettuce each week
because I can rarely finish a loaf of bread unless perhaps husband is home
and even then we don't usually. Sometimes I can get a small bag of lettuce
and that's great! But last time all they had was the family size and that
is just too much for the two of us unless we eat a big taco salad, which we
didn't.

The only really bad thing in the last couple of weeks was all the bags of
gluten free pretzels I threw out. They're Snyders and they're really good.
But they do not sell them in any stores around here that I have seen. So I
ordered them from Synders and they only sell them by the case. Well after
the first two bags, Angela didn't touch them at all. They were good for
many months beyond when I bought them but since she never touched them...
Well they got recycled. I have since bought them from celiac.com and can
get them by the bag. But I will only be ordering them when I need something
else.

What really amazes me is the small amount of food that Angela and I eat. We
do go through a lot of black olives, canned green beans, raw baby carrots
and a fair amount of apple slices and applesauce. Also popcorn. I usually
pop my own from some really fresh kernels I get at the health food store.
But sometimes Angela likes the microwave or pre-popped stuff. And we do eat
a fair amount of cottage and other cheeses.

But the other stuff? Not so much! I've gotten it down to where I can
usually cook enough for two. I did make too much Spanish rice the other
day. It worked out okay because she was still sick today and didn't go to
school. We had it for breakfast. And I have now learned that Augmentin is
a form of Amoxicillin and that she is allergic to it and can never have it
again. She got the most interesting looking rash. So now she is on another
med! I am sick of Drs. and hospitals and just wish her ear infection would
get better. She is in soooo much pain! Some sort of really nasty
respiratory thing is going around here and all the kids are getting it. I
guess I got lucky. I didn't get sick.

I made the pasta salad tonight. I made enough for two but the proportions
were off a bit. It's mostly olives and veggies even though I wasn't able to
put in as many of the veggies as I would have liked. For instance each
container has only two radish slices. There is very little pasta. So we
will round out that meal with some apple slices because we need more carbs
than that. Especially Angela because she will be dancing tomorrow.
Assuming she gets well enough to dance. She may just be sitting out for the
most part but I have to be there to get the recital information for the
remaining two classes.

Now the big trick will be to buy just enough food for my husband when he
comes home on Fri. I have been trying to buy him only shelf stable milk
because I don't drink milk at all and Angela rarely has it. She does have
rice milk once in a while but really not much of that either. At least we
have discovered Winco foods. They have all sorts of things that he will eat
and their prices are cheap! Angela actually loves to shop there. She found
a very nice and inexpensive perch for the cats and they have a HUGE bulk
candy section. Now if she wants something like Andes mints, she can buy
just a few and not have to get the whole box. They also carry Shasta sodas
and she loves the diet cream soda.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i sell soda as a part of my business, i can tell you the shelf life for
>regular is twice as long as nutracrap, and might be for splenda but i
>haven't looked at that yet...
>
> if it gets much over eighty f i hesitate to sell it as it can go off and
> in a big hurry...Lee

That's what I heard.

I'll never forget the idiotic manager we had when I worked at K Mart. He
was a really nice guy. Just did things that were not so bright.

For whatever reason we had a ton of very muchly expired Diet Coke in what we
called the "fire room". It was a small room made with very thick walls and
had only a tiny window. I hated being in it because it reminded me of being
in a prison. We normally stored certain chemicals in it but at some point
in time these cans of Diet Coke got put in there.

Well this guy took them all because they were going to be thrown away,
loaded them in his vehicle and took them down to a local beach in an attempt
to drum up business for our store. He was walking down the beach with a
wagon full of them, handing them out and saying they were compliments of our
store.

After people tasted the drinks he said he was very rapidly chased down the
beach where he left the wagon and the drinks.

Not knowing what to do, he came racing into the store's office begging for
help. We all thought it was hysterically funny and were picturing him
running. Luckily nothing became of it but he did quit not long after that.
He went to work for some athletic shoe store but I'm not sure which one or
where.

My friend said the people probably just assumed he was some deranged
customer who had some sort of beef with our store.

I still remember the look on his face though. It was rather comical and
terribly sad all at the same time.

I very rarely buy regular soda. I did get Angela a slushy maker and it must
be used with regular soda or juice. Since Christmas I have bought her three
single serve bottles of regular soda. We still have one of them. I have
noticed that they keep for a very long time.

I also have some cans of seltzer and sparkling water. They seem to have no
expiration dates on them at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/25/2011 10:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Someone many years ago posted either here or at ASD that their store
> mishandled diet soda Apparently things with Aspartame go bad quite quickly
> when exposed to high heat.

yup, many years ago i posted about a diet soda i ordered at a restaurant

i don't know WHAT they served me, but it was all i could do to get to
the bathroom and spit out that NASTY taste (undrinkable!)

when we were leaving, i noticed they had a cage outside, south & west
exposure, that they 'stored' all the canned beverages in

guess where the diet pepsi was located?

no wonder they gave so much ice in the glass for the pop! LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 5/25/2011 10:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Someone many years ago posted either here or at ASD that their store
>> mishandled diet soda Apparently things with Aspartame go bad quite
>> quickly
>> when exposed to high heat.

> yup, many years ago i posted about a diet soda i ordered at a restaurant
>
> i don't know WHAT they served me, but it was all i could do to get to the
> bathroom and spit out that NASTY taste (undrinkable!)
>
> when we were leaving, i noticed they had a cage outside, south & west
> exposure, that they 'stored' all the canned beverages in
>
> guess where the diet pepsi was located?
>
> no wonder they gave so much ice in the glass for the pop! LOL
>
> kate

I drink it seldomly, but had a six pack of diet in the garage where it gets
hot. When I went to get one, it was completely unsweet and nasty too.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/26/2011 12:52 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 5/25/2011 10:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Someone many years ago posted either here or at ASD that their store
>>> mishandled diet soda Apparently things with Aspartame go bad quite
>>> quickly
>>> when exposed to high heat.

>> yup, many years ago i posted about a diet soda i ordered at a restaurant
>>
>> i don't know WHAT they served me, but it was all i could do to get to
>> the bathroom and spit out that NASTY taste (undrinkable!)
>>
>> when we were leaving, i noticed they had a cage outside, south & west
>> exposure, that they 'stored' all the canned beverages in
>>
>> guess where the diet pepsi was located?
>>
>> no wonder they gave so much ice in the glass for the pop! LOL
>>
>> kate

> I drink it seldomly, but had a six pack of diet in the garage where it
> gets hot. When I went to get one, it was completely unsweet and nasty too.
>
> Cheri

oh ya, big time UNdrinkable whatever the heck it had turned into!

had i been outside, the drink would have sprayed off to the side it was
THAT nasty!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and it could be if you aren't sensitive to the sweetener it might not be
noticed by your taste buds... but here in the us, regular pepsi and diet
made on the same day will have vastly differing expiri dates...

which brings up another point. those dates are as often for the protection
of the manufacutrer as they are for the seller... and something really are
more sensitive... if you can drink it at all i sorta envy you, Lee

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i sell soda as a part of my business, i can tell you the shelf life for
>> regular is twice as long as nutracrap, and might be for splenda but i
>> haven't looked at that yet...

> I've always heard about that heat thing in here but I have to tell you I
> have been drinking diet drinks with aspartame for many years and there is
> always one left unfinished somewhere in my car at any one time. I have
> never noticed a difference in flavour, sometimes they even still have gas.
> I live in a very hot climate. I can drink something that's been sitting in
> my drink holder for months during summer and no change of taste. once
> again, like canning there may be some kind of difference here in Australia
> to you guys. Could even be an ingredient difference. I do know for one
> thing that we don't use HFCS in anything.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

can you make bread pudding or dressing for the dh when he is home... i often
repacakage and freeze breads as when we eat it its mostly toast these
dayss... i know the carbs are an issue... but that lettuce... you can stir
fry it, wilt it or put it in place of anything you would use spinach for,
even that soup... spinach and tomatoe??? oh yes maybe florintine? as good
as but different than spinach.

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

> the most part but I have to be there to get the recital information for
> the remaining two classes.
>
> Now the big trick will be to buy just enough food for my husband when he
> comes home on Fri. I have been trying to buy him only shelf stable milk
> because I don't drink milk at all and Angela rarely has it. She does have
> rice milk once in a while but really not much of that either. At least we
> have discovered Winco foods. They have all sorts of things that he will
> eat and their prices are cheap! Angela actually loves to shop there. She
> found a very nice and inexpensive perch for the cats and they have a HUGE
> bulk candy section. Now if she wants something like Andes mints, she can
> buy just a few and not have to get the whole box. They also carry Shasta
> sodas and she loves the diet cream soda.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if they have no sugary substances they might have a very long date, the
cooler you keep it the better. Lee...
who is wondering if he managed a running shoe store...
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i sell soda as a part of my business, i can tell you the shelf life for
>>regular is twice as long as nutracrap, and might be for splenda but i
>>haven't looked at that yet...
>>
>> if it gets much over eighty f i hesitate to sell it as it can go off and
>> in a big hurry...Lee

> That's what I heard.
>
> I'll never forget the idiotic manager we had when I worked at K Mart. He
> was a really nice guy. Just did things that were not so bright.
>
> For whatever reason we had a ton of very muchly expired Diet Coke in what
> we called the "fire room". It was a small room made with very thick walls
> and had only a tiny window. I hated being in it because it reminded me of
> being in a prison. We normally stored certain chemicals in it but at some
> point in time these cans of Diet Coke got put in there.
>
> Well this guy took them all because they were going to be thrown away,
> loaded them in his vehicle and took them down to a local beach in an
> attempt to drum up business for our store. He was walking down the beach
> with a wagon full of them, handing them out and saying they were
> compliments of our store.
>
> After people tasted the drinks he said he was very rapidly chased down the
> beach where he left the wagon and the drinks.
>
> Not knowing what to do, he came racing into the store's office begging for
> help. We all thought it was hysterically funny and were picturing him
> running. Luckily nothing became of it but he did quit not long after
> that. He went to work for some athletic shoe store but I'm not sure which
> one or where.
>
> My friend said the people probably just assumed he was some deranged
> customer who had some sort of beef with our store.
>
> I still remember the look on his face though. It was rather comical and
> terribly sad all at the same time.
>
> I very rarely buy regular soda. I did get Angela a slushy maker and it
> must be used with regular soda or juice. Since Christmas I have bought
> her three single serve bottles of regular soda. We still have one of
> them. I have noticed that they keep for a very long time.
>
> I also have some cans of seltzer and sparkling water. They seem to have
> no expiration dates on them at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> can you make bread pudding or dressing for the dh when he is home... i
> often repacakage and freeze breads as when we eat it its mostly toast
> these dayss... i know the carbs are an issue... but that lettuce... you
> can stir fry it, wilt it or put it in place of anything you would use
> spinach for, even that soup... spinach and tomatoe??? oh yes maybe
> florintine? as good as but different than spinach.

He won't eat bread pudding. And I assume by dressing you mean stuffing? I
don't think I would make that. Not sure if he would eat it or not and then
if I did make it, Angela would want it and can't have it.

I don't like bread once it has been in the freezer. Yeah it is okay for
toast but I very rarely eat toast. And I have no room in the freezer. We
don't like stir fries either. And I can't stand cooked lettuce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> if they have no sugary substances they might have a very long date, the
> cooler you keep it the better. Lee...
> who is wondering if he managed a running shoe store...

He was the assistant manager at our store. I assume he got an assistant
manager position at the other store but don't know for sure.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i was with you until the no stir fried stuff... my taste buds just cringed
at the thought of never having that again... lol...

i just assumed you got gluton free bread for both of you since angela is
restricted...

btw those pretzels make great filler for bread pudding dressing/stuffing,
and as bread crumbs for breaded items...

Lee,
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> can you make bread pudding or dressing for the dh when he is home... i
>> often repacakage and freeze breads as when we eat it its mostly toast
>> these dayss... i know the carbs are an issue... but that lettuce... you
>> can stir fry it, wilt it or put it in place of anything you would use
>> spinach for, even that soup... spinach and tomatoe??? oh yes maybe
>> florintine? as good as but different than spinach.

> He won't eat bread pudding. And I assume by dressing you mean stuffing?
> I don't think I would make that. Not sure if he would eat it or not and
> then if I did make it, Angela would want it and can't have it.
>
> I don't like bread once it has been in the freezer. Yeah it is okay for
> toast but I very rarely eat toast. And I have no room in the freezer. We
> don't like stir fries either. And I can't stand cooked lettuce.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> i was with you until the no stir fried stuff... my taste buds just
> cringed at the thought of never having that again... lol...
>
> i just assumed you got gluton free bread for both of you since angela
> is restricted...

No. Gluten free bread doesn't taste very good and for the most part is much
higher in carbs than the regular stuff. I try to buy Bimbo white bread for
me, but I can usually only get it every two weeks because that's how often
we go to Winco. Target used to have it but I haven't seen it there in a
while. And Walmart has it but we rarely go there. If I can't get that
there is one kind of potato or one kind of sourdough I can eat. I won't buy
anything with milk in it. And I have to be careful of cross contamination
from nuts and eggs.

Angela eats very little bread. I used to be able to get the 2 slice
packages and those were great! But they quit doing them. So I hate opening
a package of it for her because it goes bad right away. The Ener-G bread
doesn't freeze. It just crumbles if you try to freeze it. Rudi's and Udi's
come frozen but both contain eggs so she can have those only once a week.
Mostly she eats her lunch meat in a Teff Wrap.

I used to try to make stir fries but really none of us like the stuff. I do
like Chinese Tomato Beef but it doesn't like my BG and nobody else will eat
it.

> btw those pretzels make great filler for bread pudding
> dressing/stuffing, and as bread crumbs for breaded items...

We don't eat that stuff though. And I think it would be waaay too salty.

..

Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 6 13-10-2013 07:04 AM
ping wendy and evelyn ot Storrmmee Diabetic 12 16-10-2011 06:17 PM
ping wendy baker OT Storrmmee Diabetic 97 05-12-2010 03:54 AM
Ping: Wendy and Janet Priscilla Ballou Diabetic 0 01-06-2008 04:03 AM
Ping: Wendy Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 14 30-05-2008 03:53 AM