Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Quick and dirty fish recipe.

This is a very simple fish dish great for weeknights adn for a change
from plain broiled fish.

fish, either thick or thin. I have used tilapia, salmon o whtever is
cheap at the fishman.

Lemon- about 1/2

sliced onions

Sliced green or other colored pepper

Salt and Pepper

Salsa of a hotness you enjoy.

Put the fish in a microwave safe pan and squeeze lemon juice al over it.
Add the sliced onions and peppers, salt and pepper and spread them around.
pour on some salsa, enough to jsut cover the fish and vegetables, cover
the pan with plastic wrap(well about the level of he food) and microwave
unti done. naturally, the thin fish will cook sooner than the thick, so
check every few minutes. If you put in enough onions and peppers, it an
be a one dish meal alonge wiwth a salad adn bread adn butter for the
non-diabetics in your family.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> This is a very simple fish dish great for weeknights adn for a change
> from plain broiled fish.
>
> fish, either thick or thin. I have used tilapia, salmon o whtever is
> cheap at the fishman.
>
> Lemon- about 1/2
>
> sliced onions
>
> Sliced green or other colored pepper
>
> Salt and Pepper
>
> Salsa of a hotness you enjoy.
>
> Put the fish in a microwave safe pan and squeeze lemon juice al over it.
> Add the sliced onions and peppers, salt and pepper and spread them around.
> pour on some salsa, enough to jsut cover the fish and vegetables, cover
> the pan with plastic wrap(well about the level of he food) and microwave
> unti done. naturally, the thin fish will cook sooner than the thick, so
> check every few minutes. If you put in enough onions and peppers, it an
> be a one dish meal alonge wiwth a salad adn bread adn butter for the
> non-diabetics in your family.

Along with the onions and peppers I add cracked pepper, mushrooms and
crushed (canned) tomatoes. I just cook up some veggies to go with it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > This is a very simple fish dish great for weeknights adn for a change
: > from plain broiled fish.
: >
[...]

I prefer to use more salsa, which has lots of tomato, but the mushrooms
are a good idea, as is the cracked pepper. I generally just use freshly
ground black pepper in all my cooking.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > This is a very simple fish dish great for weeknights adn for a change
> : > from plain broiled fish.
> : >
> : > fish, either thick or thin. I have used tilapia, salmon o whtever is
> : > cheap at the fishman.
> : >
> : > Lemon- about 1/2
> : >
> : > sliced onions
> : >
> : > Sliced green or other colored pepper
> : >
> : > Salt and Pepper
> : >
> : > Salsa of a hotness you enjoy.
> : >
> : > Put the fish in a microwave safe pan and squeeze lemon juice al over
> it.
> : > Add the sliced onions and peppers, salt and pepper and spread them
> around.
> : > pour on some salsa, enough to jsut cover the fish and vegetables,
> cover
> : > the pan with plastic wrap(well about the level of he food) and
> microwave
> : > unti done. naturally, the thin fish will cook sooner than the thick,
> so
> : > check every few minutes. If you put in enough onions and peppers, it
> an
> : > be a one dish meal alonge wiwth a salad adn bread adn butter for the
> : > non-diabetics in your family.
>
> : Along with the onions and peppers I add cracked pepper, mushrooms and
> : crushed (canned) tomatoes. I just cook up some veggies to go with it.
> I prefer to use more salsa, which has lots of tomato, but the mushrooms
> are a good idea, as is the cracked pepper. I generally just use freshly
> ground black pepper in all my cooking.

Yes. the salsa or tomatoes stop the fish drying out I find.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Yes. the salsa or tomatoes stop the fish drying out I find.

I've said here before and will probably say again that one of my
favorites is catfish filets baked in salsa. I had that just last Friday
night. YUM!

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> Yes. the salsa or tomatoes stop the fish drying out I find.

> I've said here before and will probably say again that one of my
> favorites is catfish filets baked in salsa. I had that just last Friday
> night. YUM!

When you say Salsa, do you mean home made or the stuff in a jar you dip corn
chips into? My home made salsa is raw.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> >
> >> Yes. the salsa or tomatoes stop the fish drying out I find.

> > I've said here before and will probably say again that one of my
> > favorites is catfish filets baked in salsa. I had that just last
> > Friday night. YUM!

> When you say Salsa, do you mean home made or the stuff in a jar you dip
> corn chips into? My home made salsa is raw.

As is mine.

Nick's Salsa Verde

1 pound tomatillos
2 or more Serrano and/or other chiles
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro
salt
1 teaspoon sugar or Splenda
1 to 10 cloves garlic, peeled (optional)
avocado (optional for Tex-Mex style)

Remove dry paperlike skins from tomatillos. Coarsely puree uncooked
tomatillos, chiles, green onions, cilantro leaves, (avocado) and garlic in
food processor or blender. Season with salt to taste and add 1 teaspoon
sugar or Splenda. Serve with soft tacos or burritos and as a dip for corn
chips. Also wonderful with fish, fried chicken, pan fried pork chops, and
pan fried potatoes.

This sauce is also great with grilled tortillas filled with slices of Jack
cheese, a few strips of green chiles, and a few epazote leaves (about 2 per
serving). Heat griddle or skillet. Put the filling on one corn tortilla,
top with a second tortilla, and press down on the "package" with something
heavy while grilling on top of the stove. To serve, set the cheese-filled
tortillas flat on the plate, smother with this sauce, and eat with a fork.
A great substitute for grilled cheese sandwiches! Recipe from "Mexican
Family Cooking"

My Thai daughter makes a dynamite raw red salsa, but, like her mother,
won't divulge her recipe. ;-/

Catfish is one my favorites.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hey Nick,

I hope you do not mind me forwarding that recipe onto my e-mail so I can try
it out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Zareth" > wrote:
> Hey Nick,
>
> I hope you do not mind me forwarding that recipe onto my e-mail so I can
> try it out.

Mind? Never mind!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In article >,
: > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
: >
: >> Yes. the salsa or tomatoes stop the fish drying out I find.
: >
: > I've said here before and will probably say again that one of my
: > favorites is catfish filets baked in salsa. I had that just last Friday
: > night. YUM!

: When you say Salsa, do you mean home made or the stuff in a jar you dip corn
: chips into? My home made salsa is raw.

Whichever you prefer. For quick, I use the jarred, using one with no
sweetener and little salt(for my husband) and a medioum heat and that I
can find inexpensively. works fine.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Ozgirl > wrote:
>
> : "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > In article >,
> : > "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> : >
> : >> Yes. the salsa or tomatoes stop the fish drying out I find.
> : >
> : > I've said here before and will probably say again that one of my
> : > favorites is catfish filets baked in salsa. I had that just last Friday
> : > night. YUM!
>

> : When you say Salsa, do you mean home made or the stuff in a jar you dip
> : corn
> : chips into? My home made salsa is raw.
>
> Whichever you prefer. For quick, I use the jarred, using one with no
> sweetener and little salt(for my husband) and a medioum heat and that I
> can find inexpensively. works fine.

Sorry. I missed the reply. I use jarred. Currently my favorite is
Ortega Homestyle Chunky - Mild, but I doubt that's available in Oz. I
don't care for hot peppers, preferring more subtle ranges of flavors,
but mild jarred salsa is usually tolerable for me.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Priscilla Ballou wrote in message ...

>Sorry. I missed the reply. I use jarred. Currently my favorite is
>Ortega Homestyle Chunky - Mild, but I doubt that's available in Oz.

>don't care for hot peppers, preferring more subtle ranges of flavors,
>but mild jarred salsa is usually tolerable for me.
>
>Priscilla

That's my favorite too Priscilla. Very good.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri said...

> Priscilla Ballou wrote in message ...
>
>>Sorry. I missed the reply. I use jarred. Currently my favorite is
>>Ortega Homestyle Chunky - Mild, but I doubt that's available in Oz.

>>don't care for hot peppers, preferring more subtle ranges of flavors,
>>but mild jarred salsa is usually tolerable for me.
>>
>>Priscilla

> That's my favorite too Priscilla. Very good.
>
> Cheri

Same here.

I'm past my younger "sweat through your scalp" hot pepper days.

Salsa Verde and Salsa Authentic by Trader Joe's here in America is as hot
(mild) as I go these days, as dipping sauce for chicken tenders mostly.

I've been meaning to try spaghetti and meatballs with "steaming" hot salsa.

Andy
--
T2
HBP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message

> Ortega Homestyle Chunky - Mild, but I doubt that's available in Oz. I
> don't care for hot peppers, preferring more subtle ranges of flavors,
> but mild jarred salsa is usually tolerable for me.

We do get chunky style just not that brand. I like medium hot but as a sauce
over fish tend to go for the mild.

quick/dirty beef stew notbob General Cooking 0 18-01-2013 04:12 AM
New Quick and Dirty Dish W. Baker Diabetic 6 12-01-2013 07:19 PM
Quick and dirty lunch Ozgirl Diabetic 0 11-05-2010 03:46 AM
Quick and dirty soup! Ozgirl Diabetic 143 25-12-2009 11:03 PM
Quick & Dirty Wild Rice Soup jmcquown General Cooking 1 11-10-2007 06:01 PM