Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Quick and dirty soup!

Its day before shopping day and I was clearing out the fridge ready for the
big shop and realised I had almost no salad veggies left and no protein. I
had a few bits and pieces in the vegetable line and considered what I could
have for lunch today.

So I gathered the bits and pieces together (carrot, onion, garlic, limp
celery, a zucchini and a bit of fresh basil). I sautéed the onion and garlic
in olive oil and in a saucepan put the onion/garlic, the veggies chopped up,
a can of diced tomatoes, some bottled V8 veggie juice and a can of 4 bean
mix.

It has been simmering for about an hour and the smell alone is superb, the
test taste was similar to minestrone. Will be even better when I add a bit
of dry parmesan and FGBP! Can't wait. Looks like it might be my dinner as
well as I can only see sausages left in the freezer so the kids will get
that - the soup is not the kind they like.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

That's the best kind of soup! Angela doesn't really like it either but she
will eat it.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow night's dinner. Leftover pasta. I
used to eat a lot of it and liked it. I don't know if it's just that the
gluten free stuff tastes so much different or what. Or maybe because I
can't have real cheese. I just don't want to eat it any more. Alas, it is
one of Angela's favorite meals. I used a jarred sauce so there were 6
servings. I guess when my husband isn't here I will have to start making my
own sauce and in a small quantity so I can make less pasta.

I have to start being careful what I buy at Costco. I bought a 2 pack of
cooked chicken breast strips and a 3 pack of sliced turkey. Angela ate none
of the chicken before it expired. I don't like it. And only one sandwich
from the turkey. There are times when she grabs handfuls of meat, but this
wasn't one of them. And I didn't eat any sandwiches. So it all got thrown
out.

I have used all of the meat in the fridge except for some pre-cooked bacon,
bologna and the new turkey I bought.

Now the big thing is to clean out the freezer. There's another package of
pre-cooked chicken breast in there that I stuck in there rather than throw
it out. I can't stand the stuff. For some reason they put sugar in it and
when I eat it, that's all I taste. There's half a gluten free pizza. Can't
get Angela to eat the other half. There's the giant package of uncooked
chicken breasts. Some cooked hamburger, a few boxes of chicken nuggets and
fish sticks and I'm not sure what all else. Angela keeps wanting ice cream
but there is no room for it.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

I gave away my chest freezer when I moved interstate so only have a small
fridge and freezer. Anything that comes in a container or packet I take out
then I divide what I took out into meal sizes. If I had a pizza in a box I
would toss the box and cut the pizza into serving sizes and freeze it. I
freeze just about everything I buy in the meat line as soon as I get home
from the shops. I don't buy in bulk anymore like when I had 4 kids at home
and a deep freeze but doing it the way I do it now works for me. If I get 6
chops I put 3 in a freezer bag and 3 in another. That way there is no
waste.

I can rarely fit ice cream in the fridge. I have my bread frozen because I
don't eat it quickly enough, I have a large bag of walnuts in there pluse
the flattened out meat in their portions. I don't need boxes or packages
anymore to know how to cook something but I mostly have just meat in there
and on the odd occasion something that came boxed that the kids like.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

I gave away my chest freezer when I moved interstate so only have a small
fridge and freezer. Anything that comes in a container or packet I take
out then I divide what I took out into meal sizes. If I had a pizza in a
box I would toss the box and cut the pizza into serving sizes and freeze
it. I freeze just about everything I buy in the meat line as soon as I get
home from the shops. I don't buy in bulk anymore like when I had 4 kids
at home and a deep freeze but doing it the way I do it now works for me.
If I get 6 chops I put 3 in a freezer bag and 3 in another. That way
there is no waste.

I think she likes the concept of pizza. I mean it's always being advertised
on TV and such. And people talk about eating it. But when it comes right
down to it, I don't think she really likes it. I hated the stuff as a kid.
My parents used to complain that when we went out for pizza, they had to get
my food from McDonalds. So to me, pizza must have been really vile because
I hated the food at McDonalds, except for the fries. I did like those, but
could never get as much of them as I wanted. If I did get them, they were
rationed. We would get one portion (I think they came in one size in those
days) and split it four ways.

Only after I began to venture out and was able to try different kinds of
pizza did I realize that I didn't necessarily hate it, although I still
don't really like it. My parents only ever got sausage and black olives in
those days. I can't stand greasy sausage and I don't like olives on a
pizza. I actually don't like any vegetables or meat or anything other than
cheese on a pizza. Unless it is a Taco pizza and I don't think that's
really Italian.

So perhaps she will never eat that other half of the pizza.

As for the meat, I generally don't like dealing with it once it has been
frozen. I always forget to take it out to defrost. I have tried to defrost
it in the microwave but that never seems to work very well. The ground beef
is okay once frozen, so long as I cook it ahead of time. Really only shaves
a few minutes off of the cooking time though. Now I did like those
pre-cooked patties I bought, but I haven't seen them since.

I really must stop buying the big packs of meat though. Neither of us is a
big meat eater. I should probably just make vegan/vegetarian meals at home
and save the meat for when we dine out.

I can rarely fit ice cream in the fridge. I have my bread frozen because I
don't eat it quickly enough, I have a large bag of walnuts in there pluse
the flattened out meat in their portions. I don't need boxes or packages
anymore to know how to cook something but I mostly have just meat in there
and on the odd occasion something that came boxed that the kids like.

I go through nuts like crazy. I get them at the health food store. They
keep them in their freezer there, packaging them only as needed. They are
always fresh and the price is good. As for bread, I don't buy it often any
more. Not for me anyway. I did try it in the freezer but don't like what
the freezer does to it. It's okay for toast, but then I rarely eat toast.

Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice packages.
I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be perfect for me! The
whole loaves which I also buy are usually good for a year or two after I get
them. The slices are good for a few months at least. I keep them in a
thick plastic lidded bin in the garage.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

[...]

When I shop at Sam's club, (we don't have a costco here) I always repackage
any meat into portions I can use. I also do that with other things I buy
there too.

We have a big upright freezer in the basement, and a small freezer in my
kitchen side by side fridge. One shelf in the kitchen freezer is only for
bread. We like to keep several kinds on hand. If I didn't freeze it, it
would almost always go bad very quickly. We just don't eat a lot of bread.

I have nearly stopped buying meat at Sam's club because they sell Perdue
chickens which I always thought were pretty decent. Now I get fresh
natural chickens from a local store and the taste is so fantastic it is like
eating a whole different bird. I will NEVER buy perdue chicken again.

Their chopped meat is really disgusting, even if you buy the 90 percent
lean. It always has so many pieces of gristle and little bits of bone in
it, and the meat itself is tough and tasteless, even though it is ground.
So I might buy a pot roast or some steaks there, as those are usually OK,
but not much else.

When I buy beef from the local natural place, it is also like a whole
different animal. The flavor is incredible and I have never once found any
gristle or bone bits.

The one kind of meat I do buy at Sam's is the ground turkey. I buy huge
packages of it because that is the one kind of meat I feed my dogs that
doesn't give them any digestive upsets. I cook it up with a little water
in a gigantic pot and then freeze it in big plastic containers. One
container usually lasts us almost a week since each dog gets about a half a
cup of cooked ground turkey in with their kibble.

I started making meatballs with the ground turkey, for us. Believe it or
not, I like the ground turkey meatballs better than the ones I used to make
with ground beef! It makes a wonderful mellow tomato sauce too! I
haven't made turkey chili yet, but I am going to try.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

there is just the two of us not counting the cats. i cook portion and
freeze almost everything... DH does most of the daily cooking but when it
comes to bulk cooking and the slow cooker i do that, also i portion and
freeze all of the raw meat, once cooked DH portions it out by weight and i
freeze it... i do WW and our work schedule that haveing easy items that are
healthy is very important... i have a med sized chest freezer and one on top
the frig... i just can't abide waste... i keep a list on the frig of what is
in the big freezer, little freezer and both are on the computer so i can
read/edit them. I feel it is bad for me emotionally to waste food which we
worked so hard to earn the money for, and i also think food budget is one of
the few places you can save money these days... and since my diet requires
some speciality foods i find saving where i can allows me to buy these items
without impacting the budget. and having portions ready made also helps cut
down on over eating, if i have to back to the freezer for another portion i
might think twice about it.

Lee

--
Have a great day

Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

defrosting in the micro is best for us when done at about 15 percent power.
we often bulk cook meat then package, right now we are working on turkey
rolls DH made from a huge turkey, we will eat it until one or the both of us
get bored, then we will package and freeze, then when its time for turkey i
will take out two portions, and some dressing i have pre portioned and bake
in the oven... i will also put in a frozen veg and heat it up, so majic our
own tv dinners in about a half hour, which gives time for setting the table,
mmaking the coffee and slicing the bread. Lee

--
Have a great day

Old 07-10-2009, 12:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

ground turkey is excellent for dogs, when my GS would have a bout of what
the vet called "inbred belly" i would mix ground lamb ground turkey and
brown rice for her, a few days on that and she was as good as new. Lee

--
Have a great day

Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" wrote in message
ground turkey is excellent for dogs, when my GS would have a bout of what
the vet called "inbred belly" i would mix ground lamb ground turkey and
brown rice for her, a few days on that and she was as good as new. Lee

Yes, my two dogs are GS dogs as well.
Barley is also excellent for them, like the brown rice.
They do have sensitive stomachs.
Beef gives them very bad gas and horsemeat will give a dog severe diarrhea.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

this one was an excellent dog guide, perfect in her job and manners, but she
came to be a dog guide because she was originally supposed to be breeding
stock of the then new "blue merril" coloration which i think is totally
cream except saddle and muzzle which is the blue color... she had the
faintest of darker brown on her ears so was disqualified form breeding... am
i ever glad she was a wonderful being.

Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

Old 07-10-2009, 11:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:54:04 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

Check out your local op shop. I'm involved with the one for our
neighborhood Centre. We often get fridges and freezers in as people
up-grade. We sell them incredibly cheaply. I don't know what your
equivalent would be; ask around.

Unfortunately, unless you have a friend with a trailer, the delivery
from down here would be prohibitive.

Will do, most second hand stuff I have ever encountered has been
prohibitively high considering the age of them. I have an acquaintance who
moved to Kirra just before I came north and she emailed me about how great
the charity shops were up here so I best be looking! I do believe there is
also a NILS system running up here as well. Non interest loan schemes on new
goods but I do know before I left NSW they had reduced the items on offer to
necessities like fridges and washing machines.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

[...]

I have a Big upright freezer and a food saver vacuum bag machine. I love
this machine ...you can vacuum and seal, or just seal...it has buttons for
Dry and moist and wet food...and also came with canisters. When meat is on
sale I will buy it and come home and cut roasts to size for just two of
us....or break down the amount of Pork Chops etc., and vacuum and seal them.
A few months ago the store had a big hunk of New York Strip...I had them cut
it into steaks...I came home and vacuumed and froze them...still have some
left I do the same with the large pack of chicken pieces. I also keep
bread in the freezer.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I will use my MW to defrost some things. I used the water method for
fish...it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to defrost fish that way...I have
also defrosted steak that way. Always use cold water. I found that if I
defrost ground beef in my microwave and use it for meatloaf the meat loaf
will fall apart. I think I saw on line or someone told me if you are using
ground beef for burgers or meat loaf defrost it in the fridge not the MW.
Jacquie

Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...
I will use my MW to defrost some things. I used the water method for
fish...it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to defrost fish that way...I have
also defrosted steak that way. Always use cold water. I found that if I
defrost ground beef in my microwave and use it for meatloaf the meat loaf
will fall apart. I think I saw on line or someone told me if you are using
ground beef for burgers or meat loaf defrost it in the fridge not the MW.
Jacquie

I defrost in the MW all the time and never had a problem.
I do add egg and breadcrumbs to the meatloaf mix, and that helps keep it
together.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

quick/dirty beef stew notbob General Cooking 0 18-01-2013 04:12 AM
New Quick and Dirty Dish W. Baker Diabetic 6 12-01-2013 07:19 PM
Quick and dirty lunch Ozgirl Diabetic 0 11-05-2010 03:46 AM
Quick and dirty fish recipe. W. Baker Diabetic 13 04-03-2008 01:50 AM
Quick & Dirty Wild Rice Soup jmcquown General Cooking 1 11-10-2007 06:01 PM