Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Quick and dirty soup!

Its day before shopping day and I was clearing out the fridge ready for the
big shop and realised I had almost no salad veggies left and no protein. I
had a few bits and pieces in the vegetable line and considered what I could
have for lunch today.

So I gathered the bits and pieces together (carrot, onion, garlic, limp
celery, a zucchini and a bit of fresh basil). I sautéed the onion and garlic
in olive oil and in a saucepan put the onion/garlic, the veggies chopped up,
a can of diced tomatoes, some bottled V8 veggie juice and a can of 4 bean
mix.

It has been simmering for about an hour and the smell alone is superb, the
test taste was similar to minestrone. Will be even better when I add a bit
of dry parmesan and FGBP! Can't wait. Looks like it might be my dinner as
well as I can only see sausages left in the freezer so the kids will get
that - the soup is not the kind they like.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Its day before shopping day and I was clearing out the fridge ready for
> the big shop and realised I had almost no salad veggies left and no
> protein. I had a few bits and pieces in the vegetable line and considered
> what I could have for lunch today.
>
> So I gathered the bits and pieces together (carrot, onion, garlic, limp
> celery, a zucchini and a bit of fresh basil). I sautéed the onion and
> garlic in olive oil and in a saucepan put the onion/garlic, the veggies
> chopped up, a can of diced tomatoes, some bottled V8 veggie juice and a
> can of 4 bean mix.
>
> It has been simmering for about an hour and the smell alone is superb, the
> test taste was similar to minestrone. Will be even better when I add a bit
> of dry parmesan and FGBP! Can't wait. Looks like it might be my dinner as
> well as I can only see sausages left in the freezer so the kids will get
> that - the soup is not the kind they like.

That's the best kind of soup! Angela doesn't really like it either but she
will eat it.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow night's dinner. Leftover pasta. I
used to eat a lot of it and liked it. I don't know if it's just that the
gluten free stuff tastes so much different or what. Or maybe because I
can't have real cheese. I just don't want to eat it any more. Alas, it is
one of Angela's favorite meals. I used a jarred sauce so there were 6
servings. I guess when my husband isn't here I will have to start making my
own sauce and in a small quantity so I can make less pasta.

I have to start being careful what I buy at Costco. I bought a 2 pack of
cooked chicken breast strips and a 3 pack of sliced turkey. Angela ate none
of the chicken before it expired. I don't like it. And only one sandwich
from the turkey. There are times when she grabs handfuls of meat, but this
wasn't one of them. And I didn't eat any sandwiches. So it all got thrown
out.

I have used all of the meat in the fridge except for some pre-cooked bacon,
bologna and the new turkey I bought.

Now the big thing is to clean out the freezer. There's another package of
pre-cooked chicken breast in there that I stuck in there rather than throw
it out. I can't stand the stuff. For some reason they put sugar in it and
when I eat it, that's all I taste. There's half a gluten free pizza. Can't
get Angela to eat the other half. There's the giant package of uncooked
chicken breasts. Some cooked hamburger, a few boxes of chicken nuggets and
fish sticks and I'm not sure what all else. Angela keeps wanting ice cream
but there is no room for it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Its day before shopping day and I was clearing out the fridge ready
>> for the big shop and realised I had almost no salad veggies left and
>> no protein. I had a few bits and pieces in the vegetable line and
>> considered what I could have for lunch today.
>>
>> So I gathered the bits and pieces together (carrot, onion, garlic,
>> limp celery, a zucchini and a bit of fresh basil). I sautéed the
>> onion and garlic in olive oil and in a saucepan put the
>> onion/garlic, the veggies chopped up, a can of diced tomatoes, some
>> bottled V8 veggie juice and a can of 4 bean mix.
>>
>> It has been simmering for about an hour and the smell alone is
>> superb, the test taste was similar to minestrone. Will be even
>> better when I add a bit of dry parmesan and FGBP! Can't wait. Looks
>> like it might be my dinner as well as I can only see sausages left
>> in the freezer so the kids will get that - the soup is not the kind
>> they like.

> That's the best kind of soup! Angela doesn't really like it either
> but she will eat it.
>
> I am not looking forward to tomorrow night's dinner. Leftover pasta.
> I used to eat a lot of it and liked it. I don't know if it's just
> that the gluten free stuff tastes so much different or what. Or
> maybe because I can't have real cheese. I just don't want to eat it
> any more. Alas, it is one of Angela's favorite meals. I used a
> jarred sauce so there were 6 servings. I guess when my husband isn't
> here I will have to start making my own sauce and in a small quantity
> so I can make less pasta.
> I have to start being careful what I buy at Costco. I bought a 2
> pack of cooked chicken breast strips and a 3 pack of sliced turkey. Angela
> ate none of the chicken before it expired. I don't like it. And only one
> sandwich from the turkey. There are times when she
> grabs handfuls of meat, but this wasn't one of them. And I didn't
> eat any sandwiches. So it all got thrown out.
>
> I have used all of the meat in the fridge except for some pre-cooked
> bacon, bologna and the new turkey I bought.
>
> Now the big thing is to clean out the freezer. There's another
> package of pre-cooked chicken breast in there that I stuck in there
> rather than throw it out. I can't stand the stuff. For some reason
> they put sugar in it and when I eat it, that's all I taste. There's
> half a gluten free pizza. Can't get Angela to eat the other half. There's
> the giant package of uncooked chicken breasts. Some cooked
> hamburger, a few boxes of chicken nuggets and fish sticks and I'm not
> sure what all else. Angela keeps wanting ice cream but there is no
> room for it.

I gave away my chest freezer when I moved interstate so only have a small
fridge and freezer. Anything that comes in a container or packet I take out
then I divide what I took out into meal sizes. If I had a pizza in a box I
would toss the box and cut the pizza into serving sizes and freeze it. I
freeze just about everything I buy in the meat line as soon as I get home
from the shops. I don't buy in bulk anymore like when I had 4 kids at home
and a deep freeze but doing it the way I do it now works for me. If I get 6
chops I put 3 in a freezer bag and 3 in another. That way there is no
waste.

I can rarely fit ice cream in the fridge. I have my bread frozen because I
don't eat it quickly enough, I have a large bag of walnuts in there pluse
the flattened out meat in their portions. I don't need boxes or packages
anymore to know how to cook something but I mostly have just meat in there
and on the odd occasion something that came boxed that the kids like.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I gave away my chest freezer when I moved interstate so only have a small
> fridge and freezer. Anything that comes in a container or packet I take
> out then I divide what I took out into meal sizes. If I had a pizza in a
> box I would toss the box and cut the pizza into serving sizes and freeze
> it. I freeze just about everything I buy in the meat line as soon as I get
> home from the shops. I don't buy in bulk anymore like when I had 4 kids
> at home and a deep freeze but doing it the way I do it now works for me.
> If I get 6 chops I put 3 in a freezer bag and 3 in another. That way
> there is no waste.

I think she likes the concept of pizza. I mean it's always being advertised
on TV and such. And people talk about eating it. But when it comes right
down to it, I don't think she really likes it. I hated the stuff as a kid.
My parents used to complain that when we went out for pizza, they had to get
my food from McDonalds. So to me, pizza must have been really vile because
I hated the food at McDonalds, except for the fries. I did like those, but
could never get as much of them as I wanted. If I did get them, they were
rationed. We would get one portion (I think they came in one size in those
days) and split it four ways.

Only after I began to venture out and was able to try different kinds of
pizza did I realize that I didn't necessarily hate it, although I still
don't really like it. My parents only ever got sausage and black olives in
those days. I can't stand greasy sausage and I don't like olives on a
pizza. I actually don't like any vegetables or meat or anything other than
cheese on a pizza. Unless it is a Taco pizza and I don't think that's
really Italian.

So perhaps she will never eat that other half of the pizza.

As for the meat, I generally don't like dealing with it once it has been
frozen. I always forget to take it out to defrost. I have tried to defrost
it in the microwave but that never seems to work very well. The ground beef
is okay once frozen, so long as I cook it ahead of time. Really only shaves
a few minutes off of the cooking time though. Now I did like those
pre-cooked patties I bought, but I haven't seen them since.

I really must stop buying the big packs of meat though. Neither of us is a
big meat eater. I should probably just make vegan/vegetarian meals at home
and save the meat for when we dine out.

> I can rarely fit ice cream in the fridge. I have my bread frozen because I
> don't eat it quickly enough, I have a large bag of walnuts in there pluse
> the flattened out meat in their portions. I don't need boxes or packages
> anymore to know how to cook something but I mostly have just meat in there
> and on the odd occasion something that came boxed that the kids like.

I go through nuts like crazy. I get them at the health food store. They
keep them in their freezer there, packaging them only as needed. They are
always fresh and the price is good. As for bread, I don't buy it often any
more. Not for me anyway. I did try it in the freezer but don't like what
the freezer does to it. It's okay for toast, but then I rarely eat toast.

Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice packages.
I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be perfect for me! The
whole loaves which I also buy are usually good for a year or two after I get
them. The slices are good for a few months at least. I keep them in a
thick plastic lidded bin in the garage.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> meat in there and on the odd occasion something that came boxed that the
>> kids like.

> I go through nuts like crazy. I get them at the health food store. They
> keep them in their freezer there, packaging them only as needed. They are
> always fresh and the price is good. As for bread, I don't buy it often
> any more. Not for me anyway. I did try it in the freezer but don't like
> what the freezer does to it. It's okay for toast, but then I rarely eat
> toast.
>
> Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice
> packages. I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be perfect
> for me! The whole loaves which I also buy are usually good for a year or
> two after I get them. The slices are good for a few months at least. I
> keep them in a thick plastic lidded bin in the garage.

When I shop at Sam's club, (we don't have a costco here) I always repackage
any meat into portions I can use. I also do that with other things I buy
there too.

We have a big upright freezer in the basement, and a small freezer in my
kitchen side by side fridge. One shelf in the kitchen freezer is only for
bread. We like to keep several kinds on hand. If I didn't freeze it, it
would almost always go bad very quickly. We just don't eat a lot of bread.

I have nearly stopped buying meat at Sam's club because they sell Perdue
chickens which I always thought were pretty decent. Now I get fresh
natural chickens from a local store and the taste is so fantastic it is like
eating a whole different bird. I will NEVER buy perdue chicken again.

Their chopped meat is really disgusting, even if you buy the 90 percent
lean. It always has so many pieces of gristle and little bits of bone in
it, and the meat itself is tough and tasteless, even though it is ground.
So I might buy a pot roast or some steaks there, as those are usually OK,
but not much else.

When I buy beef from the local natural place, it is also like a whole
different animal. The flavor is incredible and I have never once found any
gristle or bone bits.

The one kind of meat I do buy at Sam's is the ground turkey. I buy huge
packages of it because that is the one kind of meat I feed my dogs that
doesn't give them any digestive upsets. I cook it up with a little water
in a gigantic pot and then freeze it in big plastic containers. One
container usually lasts us almost a week since each dog gets about a half a
cup of cooked ground turkey in with their kibble.

I started making meatballs with the ground turkey, for us. Believe it or
not, I like the ground turkey meatballs better than the ones I used to make
with ground beef! It makes a wonderful mellow tomato sauce too! I
haven't made turkey chili yet, but I am going to try.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wonderful, i love creating and i really love when it stopss waste and tastes
good, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Its day before shopping day and I was clearing out the fridge ready for
> the big shop and realised I had almost no salad veggies left and no
> protein. I had a few bits and pieces in the vegetable line and considered
> what I could have for lunch today.
>
> So I gathered the bits and pieces together (carrot, onion, garlic, limp
> celery, a zucchini and a bit of fresh basil). I sautéed the onion and
> garlic in olive oil and in a saucepan put the onion/garlic, the veggies
> chopped up, a can of diced tomatoes, some bottled V8 veggie juice and a
> can of 4 bean mix.
>
> It has been simmering for about an hour and the smell alone is superb, the
> test taste was similar to minestrone. Will be even better when I add a bit
> of dry parmesan and FGBP! Can't wait. Looks like it might be my dinner as
> well as I can only see sausages left in the freezer so the kids will get
> that - the soup is not the kind they like.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

there is just the two of us not counting the cats. i cook portion and
freeze almost everything... DH does most of the daily cooking but when it
comes to bulk cooking and the slow cooker i do that, also i portion and
freeze all of the raw meat, once cooked DH portions it out by weight and i
freeze it... i do WW and our work schedule that haveing easy items that are
healthy is very important... i have a med sized chest freezer and one on top
the frig... i just can't abide waste... i keep a list on the frig of what is
in the big freezer, little freezer and both are on the computer so i can
read/edit them. I feel it is bad for me emotionally to waste food which we
worked so hard to earn the money for, and i also think food budget is one of
the few places you can save money these days... and since my diet requires
some speciality foods i find saving where i can allows me to buy these items
without impacting the budget. and having portions ready made also helps cut
down on over eating, if i have to back to the freezer for another portion i
might think twice about it.

Lee

--
Have a great day
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> [...]

> out then I divide what I took out into meal sizes. If I had a pizza in a
> box I would toss the box and cut the pizza into serving sizes and freeze
> it. I freeze just about everything I buy in the meat line as soon as I get
> home from the shops. I don't buy in bulk anymore like when I had 4 kids
> at home and a deep freeze but doing it the way I do it now works for me.
> If I get 6 chops I put 3 in a freezer bag and 3 in another. That way
> there is no waste.
>
> I can rarely fit ice cream in the fridge. I have my bread frozen because I
> don't eat it quickly enough, I have a large bag of walnuts in there pluse
> the flattened out meat in their portions. I don't need boxes or packages
> anymore to know how to cook something but I mostly have just meat in there
> and on the odd occasion something that came boxed that the kids like.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

defrosting in the micro is best for us when done at about 15 percent power.
we often bulk cook meat then package, right now we are working on turkey
rolls DH made from a huge turkey, we will eat it until one or the both of us
get bored, then we will package and freeze, then when its time for turkey i
will take out two portions, and some dressing i have pre portioned and bake
in the oven... i will also put in a frozen veg and heat it up, so majic our
own tv dinners in about a half hour, which gives time for setting the table,
mmaking the coffee and slicing the bread. Lee

--
Have a great day
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> meat in there and on the odd occasion something that came boxed that the
>> kids like.

> I go through nuts like crazy. I get them at the health food store. They
> keep them in their freezer there, packaging them only as needed. They are
> always fresh and the price is good. As for bread, I don't buy it often
> any more. Not for me anyway. I did try it in the freezer but don't like
> what the freezer does to it. It's okay for toast, but then I rarely eat
> toast.
>
> Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice
> packages. I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be perfect
> for me! The whole loaves which I also buy are usually good for a year or
> two after I get them. The slices are good for a few months at least. I
> keep them in a thick plastic lidded bin in the garage.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ground turkey is excellent for dogs, when my GS would have a bout of what
the vet called "inbred belly" i would mix ground lamb ground turkey and
brown rice for her, a few days on that and she was as good as new. Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> [...]

> packages of it because that is the one kind of meat I feed my dogs that
> doesn't give them any digestive upsets. I cook it up with a little water
> in a gigantic pot and then freeze it in big plastic containers. One
> container usually lasts us almost a week since each dog gets about a half
> a cup of cooked ground turkey in with their kibble.
>
> I started making meatballs with the ground turkey, for us. Believe it or
> not, I like the ground turkey meatballs better than the ones I used to
> make with ground beef! It makes a wonderful mellow tomato sauce too! I
> haven't made turkey chili yet, but I am going to try.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> ground turkey is excellent for dogs, when my GS would have a bout of what
> the vet called "inbred belly" i would mix ground lamb ground turkey and
> brown rice for her, a few days on that and she was as good as new. Lee

Yes, my two dogs are GS dogs as well.
Barley is also excellent for them, like the brown rice.
They do have sensitive stomachs.
Beef gives them very bad gas and horsemeat will give a dog severe diarrhea.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this one was an excellent dog guide, perfect in her job and manners, but she
came to be a dog guide because she was originally supposed to be breeding
stock of the then new "blue merril" coloration which i think is totally
cream except saddle and muzzle which is the blue color... she had the
faintest of darker brown on her ears so was disqualified form breeding... am
i ever glad she was a wonderful being.

Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> ground turkey is excellent for dogs, when my GS would have a bout of what
>> the vet called "inbred belly" i would mix ground lamb ground turkey and
>> brown rice for her, a few days on that and she was as good as new. Lee

> Yes, my two dogs are GS dogs as well.
> Barley is also excellent for them, like the brown rice.
> They do have sensitive stomachs.
> Beef gives them very bad gas and horsemeat will give a dog severe
> diarrhea.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:54:04 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> That's the best kind of soup! Angela doesn't really like it either
>>> but she will eat it.
>>>
>>> I am not looking forward to tomorrow night's dinner. Leftover
>>> pasta.
>>> I used to eat a lot of it and liked it. I don't know if it's just
>>> that the gluten free stuff tastes so much different or what. Or
>>> maybe because I can't have real cheese. I just don't want to eat it
>>> any more. Alas, it is one of Angela's favorite meals. I used a
>>> jarred sauce so there were 6 servings. I guess when my husband
>>> isn't here I will have to start making my own sauce and in a small
>>> quantity
>>> so I can make less pasta.
>>> I have to start being careful what I buy at Costco. I bought a 2
>>> pack of cooked chicken breast strips and a 3 pack of sliced turkey.
>>> Angela ate none of the chicken before it expired. I don't like it.
>>> And only one sandwich from the turkey. There are times when she
>>> grabs handfuls of meat, but this wasn't one of them. And I didn't
>>> eat any sandwiches. So it all got thrown out.
>>>
>>> I have used all of the meat in the fridge except for some pre-cooked
>>> bacon, bologna and the new turkey I bought.
>>>
>>> Now the big thing is to clean out the freezer. There's another
>>> package of pre-cooked chicken breast in there that I stuck in there
>>> rather than throw it out. I can't stand the stuff. For some reason
>>> they put sugar in it and when I eat it, that's all I taste. There's
>>> half a gluten free pizza. Can't get Angela to eat the other half.
>>> There's the giant package of uncooked chicken breasts. Some cooked
>>> hamburger, a few boxes of chicken nuggets and fish sticks and I'm
>>> not sure what all else. Angela keeps wanting ice cream but there
>>> is no
>>> room for it.

>> I gave away my chest freezer when I moved interstate so only have a
>> small fridge and freezer.

> Check out your local op shop. I'm involved with the one for our
> neighborhood Centre. We often get fridges and freezers in as people
> up-grade. We sell them incredibly cheaply. I don't know what your
> equivalent would be; ask around.
>
> Unfortunately, unless you have a friend with a trailer, the delivery
> from down here would be prohibitive.

Will do, most second hand stuff I have ever encountered has been
prohibitively high considering the age of them. I have an acquaintance who
moved to Kirra just before I came north and she emailed me about how great
the charity shops were up here so I best be looking! I do believe there is
also a NILS system running up here as well. Non interest loan schemes on new
goods but I do know before I left NSW they had reduced the items on offer to
necessities like fridges and washing machines.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> [...]

> packages of it because that is the one kind of meat I feed my dogs that
> doesn't give them any digestive upsets. I cook it up with a little water
> in a gigantic pot and then freeze it in big plastic containers. One
> container usually lasts us almost a week since each dog gets about a half
> a cup of cooked ground turkey in with their kibble.
>
> I started making meatballs with the ground turkey, for us. Believe it or
> not, I like the ground turkey meatballs better than the ones I used to
> make with ground beef! It makes a wonderful mellow tomato sauce too! I
> haven't made turkey chili yet, but I am going to try.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

I have a Big upright freezer and a food saver vacuum bag machine. I love
this machine ...you can vacuum and seal, or just seal...it has buttons for
Dry and moist and wet food...and also came with canisters. When meat is on
sale I will buy it and come home and cut roasts to size for just two of
us....or break down the amount of Pork Chops etc., and vacuum and seal them.
A few months ago the store had a big hunk of New York Strip...I had them cut
it into steaks...I came home and vacuumed and froze them...still have some
left I do the same with the large pack of chicken pieces. I also keep
bread in the freezer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I will use my MW to defrost some things. I used the water method for
fish...it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to defrost fish that way...I have
also defrosted steak that way. Always use cold water. I found that if I
defrost ground beef in my microwave and use it for meatloaf the meat loaf
will fall apart. I think I saw on line or someone told me if you are using
ground beef for burgers or meat loaf defrost it in the fridge not the MW.
Jacquie

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> [...]

>>> meat in there and on the odd occasion something that came boxed that the
>>> kids like.

>> I go through nuts like crazy. I get them at the health food store. They
>> keep them in their freezer there, packaging them only as needed. They
>> are always fresh and the price is good. As for bread, I don't buy it
>> often any more. Not for me anyway. I did try it in the freezer but
>> don't like what the freezer does to it. It's okay for toast, but then I
>> rarely eat toast.
>>
>> Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice
>> packages. I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be perfect
>> for me! The whole loaves which I also buy are usually good for a year or
>> two after I get them. The slices are good for a few months at least. I
>> keep them in a thick plastic lidded bin in the garage.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I will use my MW to defrost some things. I used the water method for
>fish...it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to defrost fish that way...I have
>also defrosted steak that way. Always use cold water. I found that if I
>defrost ground beef in my microwave and use it for meatloaf the meat loaf
>will fall apart. I think I saw on line or someone told me if you are using
>ground beef for burgers or meat loaf defrost it in the fridge not the MW.
> Jacquie

I defrost in the MW all the time and never had a problem.
I do add egg and breadcrumbs to the meatloaf mix, and that helps keep it
together.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> I will use my MW to defrost some things. I used the water method for
> fish...it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to defrost fish that way...I
> have also defrosted steak that way. Always use cold water. I found
> that if I defrost ground beef in my microwave and use it for meatloaf
> the meat loaf will fall apart. I think I saw on line or someone told
> me if you are using ground beef for burgers or meat loaf defrost it
> in the fridge not the MW. Jacquie

I defrost ground beef in the microwave all the time and have never had the
falling apart thing. Starting to see a funny pattern here. As a child my mum
ground our own beef and we were quite poor so it was definitely only cheaper
cuts. She often let me grind and as it came out the end she would grab it,
form patties and fry them straight away - no falling apart.

If she made rissoles/meatballs instead of burgers she would add onion and
salt etc and dust the outsides with flour but for plain hamburgers never.
Have you tried sitting the meat in a colander over paper towel for a little
while before using? Not sure if that will do anything as this moisture in
ground meat thing is not within my experience.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> I will use my MW to defrost some things. I used the water method for
>> fish...it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to defrost fish that way...I
>> have also defrosted steak that way. Always use cold water. I found
>> that if I defrost ground beef in my microwave and use it for
>> meatloaf the meat loaf will fall apart. I think I saw on line or
>> someone told me if you are using ground beef for burgers or meat
>> loaf defrost it in the fridge not the MW. Jacquie

> I defrost in the MW all the time and never had a problem.
> I do add egg and breadcrumbs to the meatloaf mix, and that helps keep
> it together.

I do egg too with meatloaf but not hamburgers.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:

> I have a Big upright freezer and a food saver vacuum bag machine. I love
> this machine ...you can vacuum and seal, or just seal...it has buttons
> for Dry and moist and wet food...and also came with canisters. When meat
> is on sale I will buy it and come home and cut roasts to size for just
> two of us....or break down the amount of Pork Chops etc., and vacuum and
> seal them. A few months ago the store had a big hunk of New York
> Strip...I had them cut it into steaks...I came home and vacuumed and
> froze them...still have some left I do the same with the large pack of
> chicken pieces. I also keep bread in the freezer.

Jumping out of lurk mode here. Our Food Saver is one item that we would
replace immediately when it goes dead. I found the retail outlet that
many small restaurants in the area use to purchase their products. They
have an area in the meat locker where they put the markdowns and I have
been able to take advantage of the prices because I can cut and vac seal
items at home. They also have great prices on deli sliced turkey, roast
beef and ham in 5 lb. packages. Another thing I do is make huge batches
of soups and stews, freeze meal sized portions in meatloaf pans and then
vacuum seal them and return to the freezer. I buy blueberries,
raspberries and strawberries by the flat when they are in season, spread
them out on cookie sheets, freeze, vacuum seal and return to the
freezer. I make the jams and such in the winter when we appreciate
having the additional heat in the house. We have two fridges (one in
the shop) so freezer area is much smaller than an upright but are able
to store an amazing amount of food (including bread).
Karen
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 23:09:16 -0700, ~Karen~ > wrote:

>I buy blueberries,
>raspberries and strawberries by the flat when they are in season, spread
>them out on cookie sheets, freeze, vacuum seal and return to the
>freezer. I make the jams and such in the winter when we appreciate
>having the additional heat in the house.

Now why has that never occurred to me?! I can live without the
pressure in the autumn!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> I will use my MW to defrost some things. I used the water method for
>>> fish...it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to defrost fish that way...I
>>> have also defrosted steak that way. Always use cold water. I found
>>> that if I defrost ground beef in my microwave and use it for
>>> meatloaf the meat loaf will fall apart. I think I saw on line or
>>> someone told me if you are using ground beef for burgers or meat
>>> loaf defrost it in the fridge not the MW. Jacquie

>> I defrost in the MW all the time and never had a problem.
>> I do add egg and breadcrumbs to the meatloaf mix, and that helps keep
>> it together.

> I do egg too with meatloaf but not hamburgers.

I occasionally make something my mom used to make, a sort of a meatloaf
burger. You put about 1 egg per lb. of chopped meat, some chopped raw
onion, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, and about 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and a
couple of tablespoons of water together. Mix it all with your hands, very
well. Form into burgers and fry them in olive oil. They are so delicious
you can't imagine! My Estonian mother in law used to make them too, and
she called them "Cutlette" but my mom just called them mixed up burgers.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"~Karen~" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:
>>>

>> I have a Big upright freezer and a food saver vacuum bag machine. I love
>> this machine ...you can vacuum and seal, or just seal...it has buttons
>> for Dry and moist and wet food...and also came with canisters. When meat
>> is on sale I will buy it and come home and cut roasts to size for just
>> two of us....or break down the amount of Pork Chops etc., and vacuum and
>> seal them. A few months ago the store had a big hunk of New York
>> Strip...I had them cut it into steaks...I came home and vacuumed and
>> froze them...still have some left I do the same with the large pack of
>> chicken pieces. I also keep bread in the freezer.
>>

> Jumping out of lurk mode here. Our Food Saver is one item that we would
> replace immediately when it goes dead. I found the retail outlet that
> many small restaurants in the area use to purchase their products. They
> have an area in the meat locker where they put the markdowns and I have
> been able to take advantage of the prices because I can cut and vac seal
> items at home. They also have great prices on deli sliced turkey, roast
> beef and ham in 5 lb. packages. Another thing I do is make huge batches
> of soups and stews, freeze meal sized portions in meatloaf pans and then
> vacuum seal them and return to the freezer. I buy blueberries,
> raspberries and strawberries by the flat when they are in season, spread
> them out on cookie sheets, freeze, vacuum seal and return to the freezer.
> I make the jams and such in the winter when we appreciate having the
> additional heat in the house. We have two fridges (one in the shop) so
> freezer area is much smaller than an upright but are able to store an
> amazing amount of food (including bread).
> Karen

That is very smart of you Karen. I don't do any of the frozen cold cuts or
fruit. but I should.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: >> I defrost in the MW all the time and never had a problem.
: >> I do add egg and breadcrumbs to the meatloaf mix, and that helps keep
: >> it together.
: >
: > I do egg too with meatloaf but not hamburgers.

: I occasionally make something my mom used to make, a sort of a meatloaf
: burger. You put about 1 egg per lb. of chopped meat, some chopped raw
: onion, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, and about 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and a
: couple of tablespoons of water together. Mix it all with your hands, very
: well. Form into burgers and fry them in olive oil. They are so delicious
: you can't imagine! My Estonian mother in law used to make them too, and
: she called them "Cutlette" but my mom just called them mixed up burgers.
: Evelyn

My Russian born M-I-L used to make the same and call it the same. Her's
were terrible, as was much of her cooking. She really had her mind on
other things, but dutifully cooked.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : >> I defrost in the MW all the time and never had a problem.
> : >> I do add egg and breadcrumbs to the meatloaf mix, and that helps keep
> : >> it together.
> : >
> : > I do egg too with meatloaf but not hamburgers.
>
> : I occasionally make something my mom used to make, a sort of a meatloaf
> : burger. You put about 1 egg per lb. of chopped meat, some chopped raw
> : onion, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, and about 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
> and a
> : couple of tablespoons of water together. Mix it all with your hands,
> very
> : well. Form into burgers and fry them in olive oil. They are so
> delicious
> : you can't imagine! My Estonian mother in law used to make them too,
> and
> : she called them "Cutlette" but my mom just called them mixed up burgers.
> : Evelyn
>
> My Russian born M-I-L used to make the same and call it the same. Her's
> were terrible, as was much of her cooking. She really had her mind on
> other things, but dutifully cooked.
>
> Wendy

When they are done right, they are really delicious.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> [...]

> When I buy beef from the local natural place, it is also like a whole
> different animal. The flavor is incredible and I have never once found
> any gristle or bone bits.
>
> The one kind of meat I do buy at Sam's is the ground turkey. I buy huge
> packages of it because that is the one kind of meat I feed my dogs that
> doesn't give them any digestive upsets. I cook it up with a little water
> in a gigantic pot and then freeze it in big plastic containers. One
> container usually lasts us almost a week since each dog gets about a half
> a cup of cooked ground turkey in with their kibble.
>
> I started making meatballs with the ground turkey, for us. Believe it or
> not, I like the ground turkey meatballs better than the ones I used to
> make with ground beef! It makes a wonderful mellow tomato sauce too! I
> haven't made turkey chili yet, but I am going to try.

I like one kind of ground beef from Costco. Actually two kinds. Not so
thrilled about the kind that comes frozen.

Angela loves chicken, but I don't really like it. I usually buy the three
packs with 2 breasts per pack. Those are doable and I can just cut them
apart and freeze. What possessed me top buy the huge pack, I'll never know.
I used to buy it that way, cook it all and freeze it like that. Then I had
a quick lunch or dinner for Angela if need be. But she got sick of chicken
after a while. Currently she is sick of ham. It was easy for me to get a
small ham steak for her and that was a quick dinner. She is also sick of
ground beef unless I put it in pasta sauce or hamburger gravy. I guess we
are just not big meat eaters.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we now have the fs not sure if i posted about it here or not, i just bought
a fsv2420 with manual, dvd and 2 canisters for $50.00 from the lady who
lives behind us, she is the sample lady and they told her to keep the
machine when she finished the assignment. we haven't used it yet are too
busy but am gathering bags and other stuff so the next time we get that
great meat bargian it will be ready to go, bulk cooking is the only way to
go in my opinion, if you have the space.

Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]

>> I haven't made turkey chili yet, but I am going to try.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Evelyn
>>
>> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
>> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8
>>

> I have a Big upright freezer and a food saver vacuum bag machine. I love
> this machine ...you can vacuum and seal, or just seal...it has buttons for
> Dry and moist and wet food...and also came with canisters. When meat is on
> sale I will buy it and come home and cut roasts to size for just two of
> us....or break down the amount of Pork Chops etc., and vacuum and seal
> them. A few months ago the store had a big hunk of New York Strip...I had
> them cut it into steaks...I came home and vacuumed and froze them...still
> have some left I do the same with the large pack of chicken pieces. I

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is going to sound weird but how did you find the meat supplier? Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"~Karen~" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:
>>>

>> I have a Big upright freezer and a food saver vacuum bag machine. I love
>> this machine ...you can vacuum and seal, or just seal...it has buttons
>> for Dry and moist and wet food...and also came with canisters. When meat
>> is on sale I will buy it and come home and cut roasts to size for just
>> two of us....or break down the amount of Pork Chops etc., and vacuum and
>> seal them. A few months ago the store had a big hunk of New York
>> Strip...I had them cut it into steaks...I came home and vacuumed and
>> froze them...still have some left I do the same with the large pack of
>> chicken pieces. I also keep bread in the freezer.
>>

> Jumping out of lurk mode here. Our Food Saver is one item that we would
> replace immediately when it goes dead. I found the retail outlet that
> many small restaurants in the area use to purchase their products. They
> have an area in the meat locker where they put the markdowns and I have
> been able to take advantage of the prices because I can cut and vac seal
> items at home. They also have great prices on deli sliced turkey, roast
> beef and ham in 5 lb. packages. Another thing I do is make huge batches
> of soups and stews, freeze meal sized portions in meatloaf pans and then
> vacuum seal them and return to the freezer. I buy blueberries,
> raspberries and strawberries by the flat when they are in season, spread
> them out on cookie sheets, freeze, vacuum seal and return to the freezer.
> I make the jams and such in the winter when we appreciate having the
> additional heat in the house. We have two fridges (one in the shop) so
> freezer area is much smaller than an upright but are able to store an
> amazing amount of food (including bread).
> Karen

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

burger is tricky, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> [...]
>>> is a big meat eater. I should probably just make vegan/vegetarian meals
>>> at home and save the meat for when we dine out.

>>> I go through nuts like crazy. I get them at the health food store.
>>> They keep them in their freezer there, packaging them only as needed.
>>> They are always fresh and the price is good. As for bread, I don't buy
>>> it often any more. Not for me anyway. I did try it in the freezer but
>>> don't like what the freezer does to it. It's okay for toast, but then I
>>> rarely eat toast.
>>>
>>> Angela's bread comes hermetically sealed. I can get it in 2 slice
>>> packages. I wish they would do regular bread that way. Would be perfect
>>> for me! The whole loaves which I also buy are usually good for a year
>>> or two after I get them. The slices are good for a few months at least.
>>> I keep them in a thick plastic lidded bin in the garage.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee wrote:
> this is going to sound weird but how did you find the meat supplier? Lee

I initially stumbled across it when I got lost in an industrial area
trying to find the county animal services. I did check the phone book
when I got home and there it was! Listed in the yellow pages under
"Grocers - Wholesale". The first couple of times I went shopping there
I carried a Costco receipt to help compare prices to. This particular
company doesn't accept personal checks but is happy with debit cards,
credit cards, business checks and cash. I hope you are able to find
something comparable in your area. The one I found is about 35 miles
away but I save enough to more than compensate for gas and my time.
Karen
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee wrote:
> we now have the fs not sure if i posted about it here or not, i just bought
> a fsv2420 with manual, dvd and 2 canisters for $50.00 from the lady who
> lives behind us, she is the sample lady and they told her to keep the
> machine when she finished the assignment. we haven't used it yet are too
> busy but am gathering bags and other stuff so the next time we get that
> great meat bargian it will be ready to go, bulk cooking is the only way to
> go in my opinion, if you have the space.
>
> Lee

Lee - You can wash and reuse the bags too. When you vac/seal there is a
space on that end that will be cut off later to open the bag. I write
the date and contents with a laundry marker on that part. When I reuse
the bag there is a new area to mark content info on. Waste is reduced
to just a couple of inches per bag that way.
Karen
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 23:09:16 -0700, ~Karen~ > wrote:
>
>> I buy blueberries,
>> raspberries and strawberries by the flat when they are in season, spread
>> them out on cookie sheets, freeze, vacuum seal and return to the
>> freezer. I make the jams and such in the winter when we appreciate
>> having the additional heat in the house.

> Now why has that never occurred to me?! I can live without the
> pressure in the autumn!
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

I agree completely! It seems everything is ready to "put up" at the
same time.

Karen

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "~Karen~" > wrote in message
>> Jacquie wrote:
>>>>
>>> I have a Big upright freezer and a food saver vacuum bag machine. I
>>> love this machine ...you can vacuum and seal, or just seal...it has
>>> buttons for Dry and moist and wet food...and also came with
>>> canisters. When meat is on sale I will buy it and come home and cut
>>> roasts to size for just two of us....or break down the amount of Pork
>>> Chops etc., and vacuum and seal them. A few months ago the store had
>>> a big hunk of New York Strip...I had them cut it into steaks...I came
>>> home and vacuumed and froze them...still have some left I do the
>>> same with the large pack of chicken pieces. I also keep bread in the
>>> freezer.
>>>

>> Jumping out of lurk mode here. Our Food Saver is one item that we
>> would replace immediately when it goes dead. I found the retail
>> outlet that many small restaurants in the area use to purchase their
>> products. They have an area in the meat locker where they put the
>> markdowns and I have been able to take advantage of the prices because
>> I can cut and vac seal items at home. They also have great prices on
>> deli sliced turkey, roast beef and ham in 5 lb. packages. Another
>> thing I do is make huge batches of soups and stews, freeze meal sized
>> portions in meatloaf pans and then vacuum seal them and return to the
>> freezer. I buy blueberries, raspberries and strawberries by the flat
>> when they are in season, spread them out on cookie sheets, freeze,
>> vacuum seal and return to the freezer. I make the jams and such in the
>> winter when we appreciate having the additional heat in the house. We
>> have two fridges (one in the shop) so freezer area is much smaller
>> than an upright but are able to store an amazing amount of food
>> (including bread).
>> Karen

> That is very smart of you Karen. I don't do any of the frozen cold
> cuts or fruit. but I should.

You are a much better cook than I am! I have learned a lot from you and
am trying my hand at broths and such that I just bought on canned goods
sales before. My husband is much happier if there is something more
than a package of cold cuts thawing in the fridge!

Karen
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"~Karen~" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:

>>> Jumping out of lurk mode here. Our Food Saver is one item that we would
>>> replace immediately when it goes dead. I found the retail outlet that
>>> many small restaurants in the area use to purchase their products. They
>>> have an area in the meat locker where they put the markdowns and I have
>>> been able to take advantage of the prices because I can cut and vac seal
>>> items at home. They also have great prices on deli sliced turkey, roast
>>> beef and ham in 5 lb. packages. Another thing I do is make huge batches
>>> of soups and stews, freeze meal sized portions in meatloaf pans and then
>>> vacuum seal them and return to the freezer. I buy blueberries,
>>> raspberries and strawberries by the flat when they are in season, spread
>>> them out on cookie sheets, freeze, vacuum seal and return to the
>>> freezer. I make the jams and such in the winter when we appreciate
>>> having the additional heat in the house. We have two fridges (one in
>>> the shop) so freezer area is much smaller than an upright but are able
>>> to store an amazing amount of food (including bread).
>>> Karen

>> That is very smart of you Karen. I don't do any of the frozen cold cuts
>> or fruit. but I should.
>>

> You are a much better cook than I am! I have learned a lot from you and
> am trying my hand at broths and such that I just bought on canned goods
> sales before. My husband is much happier if there is something more than
> a package of cold cuts thawing in the fridge!
>
> Karen

Well thank you (blushing)! I am glad to help.

I almost always cook for at least two meals at a time. A couple of months
ago I made about 5 meat loaves, cooked and froze 4 of them along with a
gravy that I made. The fifth one we ate that night. It has been a great
convenience (every now and then) to take out a small meat loaf and thawing
it out in a covered sauce pan with its gravy and all I had to do was nuke a
couple of potatoes and make a vegetable. I saved myself a lot of work that
way. There is only one left, so I think there will be another massive
meatloaf production day ahead sometime soon!

Other meals I make ahead are spaghetti sauce with meatballs, and stewing
beef, which can either be used in stew (just cook the veggies) or as goulash
(just thicken the gravy). I almost always have an eggplant parm and a
lasagna in my freezer ready for the next family get together or pot luck.

Other times I will cook a chicken and we will eat what we want that night,
then I remove all the meat, put it into the leftover gravy and freeze it for
another night when I don't have time to cook.

As I have gotten older I did get somewhat smarter about making my labor and
my food dollar, count. It is all too easy to go out to dinner, and toss
out leftovers. So many people do that and it is wasteful of time and
money. Yet few want to eat the same thing day after day. By the time I
take that second meal out of the freezer it is "new" again to my husband.

I think that is one of my best cooking shortcuts. Right now in my freezer
I have some roast pork with gravy, some stewed beef (ready to be made into
goulash or beef stew), and an eggplant parm. These are all ready to go in
a few minutes if I don't feel like cooking.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"~Karen~" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 23:09:16 -0700, ~Karen~ > wrote:
>>
>>> I buy blueberries, raspberries and strawberries by the flat when they
>>> are in season, spread them out on cookie sheets, freeze, vacuum seal and
>>> return to the freezer. I make the jams and such in the winter when we
>>> appreciate having the additional heat in the house.

>> Now why has that never occurred to me?! I can live without the
>> pressure in the autumn!
>>
>> Nicky.
>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
>> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

> I agree completely! It seems everything is ready to "put up" at the same
> time.
>
> Karen

Yesterday I went to a specialty butcher shop, a German style "Pork Store".
Of course they sell beef and chicken and lamb and home made cold cuts too.
I bought some of their own home made bratwursts, which I took home to
freeze. You can't imagine how delicious the freshly made ones are.
Nothing like the stuff you buy in a grocery store. I also bought their own
home made liverwurst and sliced roast beef and sliced smoked ham.

While I was there I bought a Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook which was written
originally in the 1930's, though this was a later printing. It isn't just
a cookbook, it describes the industriousness of a farm wife back in those
days. They all ate huge varieties of food and they made it all themselves
from scratch and at home. Some of the recipes call for a "peck" of this
and a "bushel" of that. They made all their own pickles and with a rather
limited number of ingredients, they made an amazing variety of foods.

Some of the things sound too weird to imagine, like roasted flour soup....
and others seemed very time or labor intensive, where you would do this in
the morning, and then do that at noon, and the dish would not be completed
till late afternoon!

I couldn't put that book down, and the writer told what his grandmother did
to feed the family and the enormous amounts of food they stored by canning,
and how they stored milk without refrigerators, etc. etc. It was
fascinating. And all this while some of what they produced was brought to
market a couple of times a week over long distances.

We are so fortunate to have so many conveniences today.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, travel isn't an issue, its at least 17 miles to the closest grocery
there are lots in tha range in different directions, but after 15 miles
another 15 doesn't seem to matter, Lee

--
Have a great day
"~Karen~" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> this is going to sound weird but how did you find the meat supplier? Lee
>>

> I initially stumbled across it when I got lost in an industrial area
> trying to find the county animal services. I did check the phone book
> when I got home and there it was! Listed in the yellow pages under
> "Grocers - Wholesale". The first couple of times I went shopping there I
> carried a Costco receipt to help compare prices to. This particular
> company doesn't accept personal checks but is happy with debit cards,
> credit cards, business checks and cash. I hope you are able to find
> something comparable in your area. The one I found is about 35 miles away
> but I save enough to more than compensate for gas and my time.
> Karen

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks i am also collecting tips and if anyone knows where to get the
sealer/bag material cheaper i am open... do you stack your bags by size when
you store then look there first? Lee

--
Have a great day
"~Karen~" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> we now have the fs not sure if i posted about it here or not, i just
>> bought a fsv2420 with manual, dvd and 2 canisters for $50.00 from the
>> lady who lives behind us, she is the sample lady and they told her to
>> keep the machine when she finished the assignment. we haven't used it yet
>> are too busy but am gathering bags and other stuff so the next time we
>> get that great meat bargian it will be ready to go, bulk cooking is the
>> only way to go in my opinion, if you have the space.
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Lee - You can wash and reuse the bags too. When you vac/seal there is a
> space on that end that will be cut off later to open the bag. I write the
> date and contents with a laundry marker on that part. When I reuse the
> bag there is a new area to mark content info on. Waste is reduced to just
> a couple of inches per bag that way.
> Karen

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it seems to me you just need to do a littl menu plannning so you or she
doesn't get burned out eating the same thing overf and over, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> make with ground beef! It makes a wonderful mellow tomato sauce too!
>> I haven't made turkey chili yet, but I am going to try.

> I like one kind of ground beef from Costco. Actually two kinds. Not so
> thrilled about the kind that comes frozen.
>
> Angela loves chicken, but I don't really like it. I usually buy the three
> packs with 2 breasts per pack. Those are doable and I can just cut them
> apart and freeze. What possessed me top buy the huge pack, I'll never
> know. I used to buy it that way, cook it all and freeze it like that.
> Then I had a quick lunch or dinner for Angela if need be. But she got
> sick of chicken after a while. Currently she is sick of ham. It was easy
> for me to get a small ham steak for her and that was a quick dinner. She
> is also sick of ground beef unless I put it in pasta sauce or hamburger
> gravy. I guess we are just not big meat eaters.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am a huge beleiver in bulk cooking, especailly when i freeze in tthe size
we need for a meal. i freeze the soup in single portions, i eat soup for a
snack... now please post your meat loaf recipe, i am interestd in it and the
egg plant parm also... if i can convince DH to let me have egg plant again
soon that is, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "~Karen~" > wrote in message
>> Evelyn wrote:

>>> That is very smart of you Karen. I don't do any of the frozen cold
>>> cuts or fruit. but I should.
>>>

>> You are a much better cook than I am! I have learned a lot from you and
>> am trying my hand at broths and such that I just bought on canned goods
>> sales before. My husband is much happier if there is something more than
>> a package of cold cuts thawing in the fridge!
>>
>> Karen

> Well thank you (blushing)! I am glad to help.
>
> I almost always cook for at least two meals at a time. A couple of
> months ago I made about 5 meat loaves, cooked and froze 4 of them along
> with a gravy that I made. The fifth one we ate that night. It has been
> a great convenience (every now and then) to take out a small meat loaf and
> thawing it out in a covered sauce pan with its gravy and all I had to do
> was nuke a couple of potatoes and make a vegetable. I saved myself a lot
> of work that way. There is only one left, so I think there will be
> another massive meatloaf production day ahead sometime soon!
>
> Other meals I make ahead are spaghetti sauce with meatballs, and stewing
> beef, which can either be used in stew (just cook the veggies) or as
> goulash (just thicken the gravy). I almost always have an eggplant parm
> and a lasagna in my freezer ready for the next family get together or pot
> luck.
>
> Other times I will cook a chicken and we will eat what we want that night,
> then I remove all the meat, put it into the leftover gravy and freeze it
> for another night when I don't have time to cook.
>
> As I have gotten older I did get somewhat smarter about making my labor
> and my food dollar, count. It is all too easy to go out to dinner, and
> toss out leftovers. So many people do that and it is wasteful of time
> and money. Yet few want to eat the same thing day after day. By the
> time I take that second meal out of the freezer it is "new" again to my
> husband.
>
> I think that is one of my best cooking shortcuts. Right now in my
> freezer I have some roast pork with gravy, some stewed beef (ready to be
> made into goulash or beef stew), and an eggplant parm. These are all
> ready to go in a few minutes if I don't feel like cooking.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> when we moved into tis house about seventeen years ago there was an
> avacado green el stove, frig and dw, all from knemoore... all ave died
> except the stove... its getting quite elderly and cranky but until it
> totally dies its staying right there. i love it because all of the
> controls are on the front of the stove and range hood, so no reaching over
> a hot pot to adjust the heat. Lee

When I bought my thermador range, that was one of the prerequisites!

This was my list;

convection, self cleaning oven
gas cooktop, but electric oven and broiler
continuous grids on top, so I could slide pots from one spot to another
without lifting them.
easy cleaning on top. (I am a serious cook and make messes!)
Stainless steel and nice styling.
VERY low simmer setting.

I got all those goodies but I had to pay top buck for it. Nowadays you can
find many of these features in cheaper ranges. Stepson just bought a
frigidaire for under $1,000 with most of those features, but not all.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eggplant Parm recipe.....was Quick and dirty soup!

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>i am a huge beleiver in bulk cooking, especailly when i freeze in tthe size
>we need for a meal. i freeze the soup in single portions, i eat soup for a
>snack... now please post your meat loaf recipe, i am interestd in it and
>the egg plant parm also... if i can convince DH to let me have egg plant
>again soon that is, Lee

Lee, even eggplant haters love this. Meat loaf recipe is coming next, but
in a separate post.

*****Eggplant Parmigiana******

First get these items ready......

Sliced eggplant - not too thin, a little less than half an inch slices.
Leave the skin on.
Have some jarred sauce at the ready and shredded mozzarella cheese, I shred
it in food processor.
Baking dish - (not aluminum).
Olive oil for frying

(I do not salt the eggplant slices as some do, but I take care to get a
fresh, firm shiny one, so that it is not bitter).

Couple of beaten eggs for dipping, and breadcrumb mixture to coat.

To EACH cup of Italian style seasoned breadcrumbs add 1/3 cup of grated
Romano cheese, a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt, and fresh ground black
pepper. For a large eggplant I might use about two cups of breadcrumbs
with the appropriate additions of cheese and salt etc.

OK now you are ready to cook.

Dip slices of eggplant into beaten egg then into breadcrumbs and fry in
olive oil till golden brown and tender to a fork. Remove the slices to a
large platter to wait. (if the pan begins to collect too many bits of burnt
breadcrumbs and cheese, you may need to take a break, stop frying
slices....rinse it out and start with new oil in a clean pan. When I make
eggplant I sometimes find I need to do that at least once.)

Once all the eggplant slices are fried golden and tender and reserved to the
side platter, you can begin to assemble the dish.

Put some sauce in the bottom of the baking pan. Add a layer of eggplant
slices. You can cut them to fit if you want. (Save a couple of the nicest
slices for last, or topmost layer). Top the slices with more sauce and some
shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat more slices, sauce and mozzarella till
you come to the last layer. Top with more sauce and more mozzarella
cheese.

Now.... if you are going to cook it that day, put it into a 350 oven and
bake till the cheese melts and sauce is bubbly. Sometimes I tent foil over
it first, taking care not to let it stick to the cheese while the pan heats
fully through. Keep an eye not to let the cheese brown too much.

This served with crusty bread and a salad can be a very nice vegetarian
meal.

***********

If you are going to freeze it, first top it with a layer of saran or press
and seal, then with foil, then freeze it. Of course you remove the saran
wrap BEFORE you bake it when you take it out of the freezer.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Meatloaf recipe - was Quick and dirty soup!

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>i am a huge beleiver in bulk cooking, especailly when i freeze in tthe size
>we need for a meal. i freeze the soup in single portions, i eat soup for a
>snack... now please post your meat loaf recipe, i am interestd in it and
>the egg plant parm also... if i can convince DH to let me have egg plant
>again soon that is, Lee

OK Lee, here is my meatloaf recipe.
It is quite different in that it uses some vegetables mixed in.

*****Meat loaf recipe*******

All quantities are variable to some degree.... use your own judgement.

Ground beef, ground turkey, veal, whatever combination you want to use.

I always include a lb. of spicy sausage meat, the kind that comes frozen in
the small plastic wrapper, or you can buy fresh sausage meat from a butcher.
Spicier is better. Parks hot and sagey is our favorite if you can get it.
Sometimes I use Bob Evans sausage since it is usually available where I
live.

Grated carrot, chopped onion, chopped celery - estimate the amounts.
FRESH chopped parsley is essential. Not the same without it!!!!
eggs (one egg per lb. of meat)
breadcrumbs..... I prefer plain breadcrumbs in meat loaf.
ketchup - some in the mix, some on top of the loaf
worcestershire sauce - a tablespoon or so.
Salt and pepper to taste
one medium sized clove of garlic pressed through a garlic press. Be careful
it can overwhelm.

Put your meats in a big mixing bowl, add your one egg per lb of meat,
breadcrumbs and salt and pepper and fresh chopped parsley.

In a frying pan on the side, put all your vegetables, grated carrot, chopped
celery, chopped onion and the garlic clove (which you squeeze through a
garlic press or finely mince). Add a bit of water to that pan, and
water-saute' the veggies just a few minutes till they are softened. You can
cover the pan while they cook. This par boiling is essential so the
veggies blend really well and are fully softened.

Set aside to cool.

When they are cool enough to handle, add them to the big bowl with the meat
and eggs and breadcrumbs. Add a squirt of ketchup into the mixture, and a
little worcestershire sauce.

Mix the whole thing with your hands till all is blended.

Put into a loaf pan, and make a sort of a "well" around the outside of the
meat loaf, to catch drippings and liquid etc. Coat the meat loaf with
ketchup lightly.

Bake at 350,.... for about an hour, or until the ketchup coating begins to
show some tiny dark spots on top.

During the cooking time, I occasionally remove it from the oven, and pour
off the drippings into a waiting saucepan, to reserve to make gravy with
afterwards, then I put the loaf back into the oven to continue to cook till
done.

***************

Meat loaf gravy- if you are inclined to make a gravy from those reserved
drippings, I add a can of beef stock to it or else a can of onion soup, or
both, whichever I have on hand. I make a flour and water slurry and
thicken that into gravy. Somehow meat loaf is better with a little gravy
on it!

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

quick/dirty beef stew notbob General Cooking 0 18-01-2013 05:12 AM
New Quick and Dirty Dish W. Baker Diabetic 6 12-01-2013 08:19 PM
Quick and dirty lunch Ozgirl Diabetic 0 11-05-2010 03:46 AM
Quick and dirty fish recipe. W. Baker Diabetic 13 04-03-2008 02:50 AM
Quick & Dirty Wild Rice Soup jmcquown General Cooking 1 11-10-2007 06:01 PM