Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Help with old coil range

We moved into our "new" old house. The cooktop is a 1967 GE electric
coil. It looks like it was made yesterday! Anyway- I can't seem to
pull and remove the coils to get to the pan & ring to remove them for
cleaning. Any tips? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"msrobins" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We moved into our "new" old house. The cooktop is a 1967 GE electric
> coil. It looks like it was made yesterday! Anyway- I can't seem to
> pull and remove the coils to get to the pan & ring to remove them for
> cleaning. Any tips? Thanks!

Did you try lifting them up?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"msrobins" > wrote:
> We moved into our "new" old house. The cooktop is a 1967 GE electric
> coil. It looks like it was made yesterday! Anyway- I can't seem to
> pull and remove the coils to get to the pan & ring to remove them for
> cleaning. Any tips? Thanks!

Don't try to hard to remove them... in general, GE ranges of that era had
non-removable surface elements. They are hard wired into place. I don't
believe GE started using plug-in elements until around the early 1970s. The
elements may tilt or pull up enough to get the trim ring and drip pan out
for cleaning, but that's about it. The elements can be removed, but only by
disconnecting the wires from the element by removing attachment screws.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> Don't try to hard to remove them... in general, GE ranges of that era had
> non-removable surface elements.

Thanks. I used a hand mirror to stick under the coil. I can lift them
up a bit. I see that they are hard wired. NUTS! I was able to pull
the pan out, but no luck with getting the rings off. How in the heck
am I supposed to clean this thing!!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"msrobins" > wrote:
>> Don't try to hard to remove them... in general, GE ranges of that era had
>> non-removable surface elements.

> Thanks. I used a hand mirror to stick under the coil. I can lift them
> up a bit. I see that they are hard wired. NUTS! I was able to pull
> the pan out, but no luck with getting the rings off. How in the heck
> am I supposed to clean this thing!!

I would think there's a way of getting the trim rings off, but I'm sure it's
not obvious. Probably like one of those metal ring puzzles where you have to
separate the pieces from each other by getting them in just the right
orientation. I've personally never had one of these stoves as an adult, and
I wouldn't remember any tricks to it if we had one when I was a kid.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"msrobins" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Don't try to hard to remove them... in general, GE ranges of that era had
>> non-removable surface elements.

> Thanks. I used a hand mirror to stick under the coil. I can lift them
> up a bit. I see that they are hard wired. NUTS! I was able to pull
> the pan out, but no luck with getting the rings off. How in the heck
> am I supposed to clean this thing!!

From my experience with an old Monkey Wart electric range, the entire
range-top should lift up from the front, hinged at the rear and probably
equipped with a prop rod, like a car hood might have. Then the connections
to the coils should be exposed. Please make certain that power to the range
is disconnected, before you start "playing" with the wires, just in case!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I wish I could lift up the top. It is a built in cook top, not a
range.