Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
likely.

My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
you had a coil burner range?

Have you ever canned using one?

Anything you hate about it?

The good news is that I'm in no burning hurry for this replacement.

Thanks for any insights.
-Barb Schaller
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
> considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
> http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
> The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
> cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
> about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
> who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
> that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
> bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
> at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
> thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
> issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
> What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
> hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
> likely.
>
> My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
> you had a coil burner range?
>
> Have you ever canned using one?

Hi Barb! Long time!

I don't have a slide in but rather a GE Profile freestanding
30" range. I've used gas, coils, and this glass flattop. My
av? The glass flattop. The model I have has two burners on
the right, two burners on the left with what they call a
bridge burner which turns the whole left side into one large
burner from the front to the back of the unit. It also has
a small "warming" burner in the center. Cleanup is a breeze.

As for the weight? Don't worry about it. I had some huge
pots on mine, full and no problem. I use metal, glass, cast
iron, they all work fine as long as the bottoms are mainly
flat. The still work with small indentations in the bottom
but probably not quite as efficient.

Would I go back to gas? No. Coil? No.

I've never done canning or jam but if you get up the
Poughkeepsie, NY way you're welcome to experiment on mine.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 09:58:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
Calvin?

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
>> considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
>> http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
>> The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
>> cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
>> about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
>> who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
>> that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
>> bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
>> at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
>> thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
>> issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
>> What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
>> hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
>> likely.
>>
>> My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
>> you had a coil burner range?
>>
>> Have you ever canned using one?
>>

> Hi Barb! Long time!
>
> I don't have a slide in but rather a GE Profile freestanding
> 30" range. I've used gas, coils, and this glass flattop. My
> av? The glass flattop. The model I have has two burners on
> the right, two burners on the left with what they call a
> bridge burner which turns the whole left side into one large
> burner from the front to the back of the unit. It also has
> a small "warming" burner in the center. Cleanup is a breeze.
>
> As for the weight? Don't worry about it. I had some huge
> pots on mine, full and no problem. I use metal, glass, cast
> iron, they all work fine as long as the bottoms are mainly
> flat. The still work with small indentations in the bottom
> but probably not quite as efficient.
>
> Would I go back to gas? No. Coil? No.
>
> I've never done canning or jam but if you get up the
> Poughkeepsie, NY way you're welcome to experiment on mine.

I totally agree with Steve, Barb, and although I currently have a coil top
in this rental house, I can't wait to get back to the glass smoothtop.

In different houses I've had 3 smoothtop ranges. I never used a pressure
canner on any of them, but I uses a large BWB kettle many times. No
problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
> considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
> http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
> The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
> cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
> about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
> who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
> that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
> bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
> at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
> thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
> issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
> What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
> hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
> likely.
>
> My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
> you had a coil burner range?
>
> Have you ever canned using one?
>
> Anything you hate about it?
>
> The good news is that I'm in no burning hurry for this replacement.
>
> Thanks for any insights.
> -Barb Schaller

Barb,

I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.

Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
stovetop.

I've still got a coil burner style, so I'm still in business
when the garden starts up again, but it would have been
so much nicer with her extra counter space to do the work
in her kitchen.

Bottom line, when upgrade time comes, I'll stick to the coils.

HTH

Nyssa, who bought her seed potatoes and onion sets yesterday
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Nyssa > wrote:
(snipped)
> Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
> out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
> or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
> stovetop.
>
> I've still got a coil burner style, so I'm still in business
> when the garden starts up again, but it would have been
> so much nicer with her extra counter space to do the work
> in her kitchen.
>
> Bottom line, when upgrade time comes, I'll stick to the coils.

Thanks.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
Church review #7

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
> > issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
> > What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
> > hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
> > likely.
> >
> > My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
> > you had a coil burner range?
> >
> > Have you ever canned using one?

> Hi Barb! Long time!

Indeed. I don't stop here much.

> I don't have a slide in but rather a GE Profile freestanding
> 30" range. I've used gas, coils, and this glass flattop. My
> av? The glass flattop. The model I have has two burners on
> the right, two burners on the left with what they call a
> bridge burner which turns the whole left side into one large
> burner from the front to the back of the unit. It also has
> a small "warming" burner in the center. Cleanup is a breeze.
>
> As for the weight? Don't worry about it. I had some huge
> pots on mine, full and no problem. I use metal, glass, cast
> iron, they all work fine as long as the bottoms are mainly
> flat. The still work with small indentations in the bottom
> but probably not quite as efficient.
>
> Would I go back to gas? No. Coil? No.
>
> I've never done canning or jam but if you get up the
> Poughkeepsie, NY way you're welcome to experiment on mine.

Damn! I've got an offer in to the manager of the appliance store where
I expect to buy. She's got a smooth top and my offer includes the whole
friggin' batch of strawberry jam for her if she'll let me try to make it
on her unit. I haven't heard back from her so I'm not holding my
breath. Dangitall. Glad to hear about the weight stuff, Steve.

I'm aware of the bridge burner thang and the warming unit. Can't see a
need for myself, but clearly mileage varies. I told my sales guy that
what I'd LIKE is a three burner stove! Two big ones and a small one.
Right now I've got a dead small burner in the back and I absolutely have
not missed it in the last year or so since it's been gone. :-)
-Barb
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
Church review #7
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 09:58:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
> Calvin?

(snippage)

> > Would I go back to gas? No. Coil? No.

> I totally agree with Steve, Barb, and although I currently have a coil top
> in this rental house, I can't wait to get back to the glass smoothtop.
>
> In different houses I've had 3 smoothtop ranges. I never used a pressure
> canner on any of them, but I uses a large BWB kettle many times. No
> problem.

Thanks, Wayne.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
Church review #7
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Nyssa wrote:

> I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
> a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
> her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
> smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.
>
> Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
> out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
> or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
> stovetop.

You give no specifics. If it's a flat bottom pressure cooker
I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. Heat is heat, no
matter what source it comes from. The only reason I can see
that it wouldn't work is that the bottom had some serious
shape differentials which caused extremely poor heat
transfer. But that's a known condition of flat tops.

Mine *cranks* out heat. I defy any flat bottom unit to not
severely boil on high.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Damn! I've got an offer in to the manager of the appliance store where
> I expect to buy. She's got a smooth top and my offer includes the whole
> friggin' batch of strawberry jam for her if she'll let me try to make it
> on her unit. I haven't heard back from her so I'm not holding my
> breath. Dangitall. Glad to hear about the weight stuff, Steve.
>
> I'm aware of the bridge burner thang and the warming unit. Can't see a
> need for myself, but clearly mileage varies. I told my sales guy that
> what I'd LIKE is a three burner stove! Two big ones and a small one.
> Right now I've got a dead small burner in the back and I absolutely have
> not missed it in the last year or so since it's been gone. :-)
> -Barb

The bridge burner and warmer is one of those YMMV kind of
things. Only time I've used the bridge was when we had
company and I wanted the griddle for breakfast.

The warmer? I use that for <drum roll please> keepin' stuff
warm. Like softly finishing rice, keeping mashed
potatoes until the roast is finished, gravies, etc...
Again though, that's proabably a personal thing and that's
why they make all kinds of stuff, right?

Good luck with the manager! I'd be absolutely amazed if
your cookware wouldn't work on a decent flat top.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 01:58:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
Calvin?

> Nyssa wrote:
>>
>> I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
>> a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
>> her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
>> smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.
>>
>> Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
>> out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
>> or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new stovetop.
>>

> You give no specifics. If it's a flat bottom pressure cooker
> I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. Heat is heat, no
> matter what source it comes from. The only reason I can see
> that it wouldn't work is that the bottom had some serious
> shape differentials which caused extremely poor heat
> transfer. But that's a known condition of flat tops.
>
> Mine *cranks* out heat. I defy any flat bottom unit to not
> severely boil on high.

Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the element
off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On some of
those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot, will cause the
symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain that in the user
manual.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the element
> off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On some of
> those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot, will cause the
> symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain that in the user
> manual.

Goog point Wayne.
But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )

I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters.
I'm not exactly sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at
least 22qt. I can cook 4, 2 pound lobsters in it with no
problem. I use it on the glass top and have no issues at all.

Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've
personally never seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I
just am not doin' what causes the problem.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the
>> element off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On
>> some of those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot, will
>> cause the symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain that in
>> the user manual.
>>

> Goog point Wayne.
> But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )
>
> I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters. I'm not exactly
> sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at least 22qt. I can cook 4, 2
> pound lobsters in it with no problem. I use it on the glass top and have
> no issues at all.
>
> Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've personally never
> seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I just am not doin' what causes
> the problem.

The overheating tends to happen with too small a pot (smaller than the
element) and/or a pot that does not have a reasonably flat bottom. The
reason is that the heat is not conducted away from the element so it
overheats.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Nyssa wrote:
> >
> > I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
> > a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
> > her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
> > smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.
> >
> > Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
> > out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
> > or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
> > stovetop.
> >

> You give no specifics. If it's a flat bottom pressure cooker
> I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. Heat is heat, no
> matter what source it comes from. The only reason I can see

If it's a real high dollar kitchen (though $20K seems too little)
she might have an induction cooktop which would not work with
aluminum pots. Otherwise, I don't know what the problem might
be either. My wife has used our glass smoothtop with big
pressure canner and BWB canner lots and lots. She used to
can and sell jams at the farmer's market. She has since moved
out of our home kitchen and switched to chocolate and toffee
making, but when we set up her commercial kitchen we put two
glass smoothtops into a stainless steel prep table. No trouble
using big pots on them. She spills lots of sugary stuff
on them as well, and we've had no trouble, though I'll admit
there is a little etching on one burner of our home cooktop.
Quick cleanup of spills seems to aleviate that as I've seen
no evidence of etching on the two in her new kitchen.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 02:20:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
Calvin?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the
>> element off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On
>> some of those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot,
>> will cause the symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain
>> that in the user manual.
>>

> Goog point Wayne.
> But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )
>
> I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters.
> I'm not exactly sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at
> least 22qt. I can cook 4, 2 pound lobsters in it with no
> problem. I use it on the glass top and have no issues at all.
>
> Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've
> personally never seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I
> just am not doin' what causes the problem.

As I said, it depends on the brand. The two brands I have owned, GE and
Frigidaire, have no problem with big pots. When I was researching before
my last purchase, I did find a couple of brands which warned against using
them. Needless to say, I dismissed them. Sorry, but I don't recall the
brands, so I cannot document that for you.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:53:14 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
>considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
>http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
>The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
>cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
>about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
>who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
>that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
>bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
>at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
>thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
>issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
>What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
>hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
>likely.
>
>My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
>you had a coil burner range?
>
>Have you ever canned using one?
>
>Anything you hate about it?
>
>The good news is that I'm in no burning hurry for this replacement.
>
>Thanks for any insights.
>-Barb Schaller

You can download the users manual and see exactly what it says about
it. I am lusting for a smooth top, but as long as this one works I
doubt I will be seeing one.
http://www.geappliances.com/service_...rt/literature/

I found this site when we moved in and there was no manual for the
stove.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 02:34:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
Aitken?

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the
>>> element off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On
>>> some of those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot,
>>> will cause the symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain
>>> that in the user manual.
>>>

>> Goog point Wayne.
>> But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )
>>
>> I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters. I'm not
>> exactly sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at least 22qt. I can
>> cook 4, 2 pound lobsters in it with no problem. I use it on the glass
>> top and have no issues at all.
>>
>> Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've personally
>> never seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I just am not doin'
>> what causes the problem.
>>

> The overheating tends to happen with too small a pot (smaller than the
> element) and/or a pot that does not have a reasonably flat bottom. The
> reason is that the heat is not conducted away from the element so it
> overheats.

It can happen with either too small or too large a pot.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Nyssa wrote:
>> Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
>> out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
>> or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
>> stovetop.
>>

> You give no specifics. If it's a flat bottom pressure cooker I can't
> imagine why it wouldn't work. Heat is heat, no matter what source it comes
> from. The only reason I can see that it wouldn't work is that the bottom
> had some serious shape differentials which caused extremely poor heat
> transfer. But that's a known condition of flat tops.
>
> Mine *cranks* out heat. I defy any flat bottom unit to not
> severely boil on high.

> Steve

Yesterday I was reading that if you put a magnet on the bottom of your pan
and it won't stick, then it won't work on these stoves.

A magnet would not stick to my copper or caphalon pans. I think my Kirkland
non-stick caphalon-type pots are aluminum; the magnet will not stick. The
magnet sticks to all my new stainless steel pans. Both of my
canning/pressure cookers which are probably aluminum (I thought the smallest
WAS stainless steel) , the magnet does not stick.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the
>> element off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On
>> some of those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot, will
>> cause the symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain that in
>> the user manual.
>>

> Goog point Wayne.
> But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )
>
> I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters. I'm not exactly
> sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at least 22qt. I can cook 4, 2
> pound lobsters in it with no problem. I use it on the glass top and have
> no issues at all.
>
> Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've personally never
> seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I just am not doin' what causes
> the problem.
>

> --
> Steve

Does it handle Visionware (Glass)?
Thanks,
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:53:14 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
>considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
>http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
>The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
>cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
>about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
>who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
>that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
>bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
>at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
>thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
>issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
>What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
>hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
>likely.
>
>My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
>you had a coil burner range?

I have and I do not.

>Have you ever canned using one?

Nope and though I do not know the weight of a canner, I have had huge
vats of sauces and soups in a 23 qt stock pot that I call the "baby
boiler." Filled near to the top with stuff all the time for 3+ hrs at
a time. In fact it is in the process of producing a large amount of
mushroom barely soup.

>Anything you hate about it?

I have a KA. The trim around the edges started chipping within the
first year, KA basically told me to stuff it. Nary a drop of wear on
the glass cooking part, though, after a decade of use.

Find out the BTU ratings for each of your new burners and compare them
to what you have, though. And look to see if there are different size
burners on it. The burners may have different ratings and the one you
may want to use for canning, may not be the rating/size you need.

I love it.

I thought I'd never be able to live without a gas range. HA!

Boron

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 02:34:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
> Aitken?

>>> Goog point Wayne.
>>> But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )
>>>
>>> I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters. I'm not
>>> exactly sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at least 22qt. I can
>>> cook 4, 2 pound lobsters in it with no problem. I use it on the glass
>>> top and have no issues at all.
>>>
>>> Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've personally
>>> never seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I just am not doin'
>>> what causes the problem.
>>>

>> The overheating tends to happen with too small a pot (smaller than the
>> element) and/or a pot that does not have a reasonably flat bottom. The
>> reason is that the heat is not conducted away from the element so it
>> overheats.

> It can happen with either too small or too large a pot.

How would you know with a too-large pot? You'd need to see the element
cycling off. In any case, so what? The worst that would happen is that the
canning bath would take slightly longer to boil.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Nyssa wrote:
>>> Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
>>> out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
>>> or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
>>> stovetop.
>>>

>> You give no specifics. If it's a flat bottom pressure cooker I can't
>> imagine why it wouldn't work. Heat is heat, no matter what source it
>> comes from. The only reason I can see that it wouldn't work is that the
>> bottom had some serious shape differentials which caused extremely poor
>> heat transfer. But that's a known condition of flat tops.
>>
>> Mine *cranks* out heat. I defy any flat bottom unit to not
>> severely boil on high.

>> Steve

> Yesterday I was reading that if you put a magnet on the bottom of your pan
> and it won't stick, then it won't work on these stoves.
>
> A magnet would not stick to my copper or caphalon pans. I think my
> Kirkland non-stick caphalon-type pots are aluminum; the magnet will not
> stick. The magnet sticks to all my new stainless steel pans. Both of my
> canning/pressure cookers which are probably aluminum (I thought the
> smallest WAS stainless steel) , the magnet does not stick.
> Dee

Magnets have no relevance at all to flat top ranges. Some stainless is
non-magnetic.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Nyssa > wrote:
>I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
>a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
>her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
>smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.
>
>Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
>out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
>or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
>stovetop.

I think you have "smoothtop" confused with "induction". There
are several types of smooth glass- or ceramic-top stoves; as far
as I know, only induction requires special pots & pans.

Donald
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 03:57:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
Aitken?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 02:34:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
>> Aitken?

>>> The overheating tends to happen with too small a pot (smaller than the
>>> element) and/or a pot that does not have a reasonably flat bottom. The
>>> reason is that the heat is not conducted away from the element so it
>>> overheats.

>> It can happen with either too small or too large a pot.
>>

> How would you know with a too-large pot? You'd need to see the element
> cycling off. In any case, so what? The worst that would happen is that
> the canning bath would take slightly longer to boil.

Depending on the cooktop, the cycle-off period may be extended. It should
be obvious if the heat subsides for too long. The worst that could happen
is a damaged element/circuit, based on some manual I read while researching
ranges. I don't recall the brand.

If anything, one should be sure about the particulars when making a choice.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 03:52:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the
>>> element off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On
>>> some of those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot,
>>> will cause the symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain
>>> that in the user manual.
>>>

>> Goog point Wayne.
>> But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )
>>
>> I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters. I'm not
>> exactly sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at least 22qt. I can
>> cook 4, 2 pound lobsters in it with no problem. I use it on the glass
>> top and have no issues at all.
>>
>> Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've personally
>> never seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I just am not doin'
>> what causes the problem.
>>

>> --
>> Steve

> Does it handle Visionware (Glass)?
> Thanks,
> Dee

I don't know aboaut Visionware, Dee, but I have used my Pyrex double-boiler
on it with no problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 03:59:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Peter
Aitken?

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message

>>> You give no specifics. If it's a flat bottom pressure cooker I can't
>>> imagine why it wouldn't work. Heat is heat, no matter what source it
>>> comes from. The only reason I can see that it wouldn't work is that
>>> the bottom had some serious shape differentials which caused extremely
>>> poor heat transfer. But that's a known condition of flat tops.
>>>
>>> Mine *cranks* out heat. I defy any flat bottom unit to not severely
>>> boil on high.

>>> Steve

>> Yesterday I was reading that if you put a magnet on the bottom of your
>> pan and it won't stick, then it won't work on these stoves.
>>
>> A magnet would not stick to my copper or caphalon pans. I think my
>> Kirkland non-stick caphalon-type pots are aluminum; the magnet will not
>> stick. The magnet sticks to all my new stainless steel pans. Both of
>> my canning/pressure cookers which are probably aluminum (I thought the
>> smallest WAS stainless steel) , the magnet does not stick.
>> Dee
>>

> Magnets have no relevance at all to flat top ranges. Some stainless is
> non-magnetic.

That's true, as long as you have no induction elements in your cooktop.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 04:07:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Donald
Tsang?

> Nyssa > wrote:
>>I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
>>a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
>>her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
>>smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.
>>
>>Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
>>out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
>>or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new stovetop.

> I think you have "smoothtop" confused with "induction". There
> are several types of smooth glass- or ceramic-top stoves; as far
> as I know, only induction requires special pots & pans.
>
> Donald

Virtually all smoothtop ranges recommend cookware with perfectly flat and
smooth bottoms for optimum heat transfer. Induction cooktops, of course,
require some form of steel or iron in the pan to react with the magnetic
field produced by the induction unit.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Donald Tsang" > wrote in message
> Nyssa > wrote:
>>I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
>>a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
>>her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
>>smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.
>>
>>Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
>>out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
>>or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
>>stovetop.

> I think you have "smoothtop" confused with "induction". There
> are several types of smooth glass- or ceramic-top stoves; as far
> as I know, only induction requires special pots & pans.
>
> Donald

Maybe there should be a thread here for smoothtop vs. induction. Boy, oh,
boy,
I can't figure out what the difference is between smooth top vs. induction.
Can you give me some lessons.
You can email me if you wish or if you want to post
here or separately, no problem. Maybe there are others as clueless as me --
and I'm getting ready to get ready for purchase.
Thank you.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 03:52:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?

>>> Goog point Wayne.
>>> But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )
>>>
>>> I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters. I'm not
>>> exactly sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at least 22qt. I can
>>> cook 4, 2 pound lobsters in it with no problem. I use it on the glass
>>> top and have no issues at all.
>>>
>>> Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've personally
>>> never seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I just am not doin'
>>> what causes the problem.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Steve

>> Does it handle Visionware (Glass)?
>> Thanks,
>> Dee

> I don't know aboaut Visionware, Dee, but I have used my Pyrex
> double-boiler
> on it with no problem.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright ożo
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

Now, Wayne, I have to ask -- is your stove induction that Pyrex works on --
or oh, my -- smoothtop?
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> Does it handle Visionware (Glass)?
> Thanks,
> Dee

Interestingly, the GE guy said they don't recommend glass cookware for
the smoothtop. Scratching, maybe? Sorry, Dee. I don't remember.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
Church review #7

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> Now, Wayne, I have to ask -- is your stove induction that Pyrex works on --
> or oh, my -- smoothtop?
> Dee

Nah, Wayne's talking about a smoothtop. Induction needs metal.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
Church review #7
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 2 Mar 2006 22:08:53 +0100, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

>... On some of
>those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot, will cause the
>symptoms of overheating.

We're in the throes of redoing our kitchen right now -- about $32K so far 8;(.
We chose the GE Profile JB968 free-standing double oven model
(http://tinyurl.com/rk8ur), in large part because the largest burner is a full
12 inches across. This should handle those large pots!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>

>>Now, Wayne, I have to ask -- is your stove induction that Pyrex works on --
>>or oh, my -- smoothtop?
>>Dee

> Nah, Wayne's talking about a smoothtop. Induction needs metal.

Pyrex, Corning, aluminum, magnetic, non-magnetic, cast iron,
whatever, It works. It's not an induction unit though.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>

>>Does it handle Visionware (Glass)?
>>Thanks,
>>Dee

> Interestingly, the GE guy said they don't recommend glass cookware for
> the smoothtop. Scratching, maybe? Sorry, Dee. I don't remember.

oops, I use Corning all the time. Shamie-shamie on me... ;-D

Honestly though, I've had the range for about 3 years now
and no problems.

I really wouldn't shy away from the Barb although in your
case I agree that it'd be a good idea to try 'em first with
your equipment and see.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall wrote:

> Maybe there should be a thread here for smoothtop vs. induction. Boy, oh,
> boy,
> I can't figure out what the difference is between smooth top vs. induction.
> Can you give me some lessons.
> You can email me if you wish or if you want to post
> here or separately, no problem. Maybe there are others as clueless as me --
> and I'm getting ready to get ready for purchase.
> Thank you.
> Dee Dee

Here's a pretty straight forward explanation Dee

http://www.ece.mtu.edu/~mtromble/ind.../cooktops.html

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2006 22:08:53 +0100, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>... On some of
>>those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot, will cause the
>>symptoms of overheating.

> We're in the throes of redoing our kitchen right now -- about $32K so far 8;(.
> We chose the GE Profile JB968 free-standing double oven model
> (http://tinyurl.com/rk8ur), in large part because the largest burner is a full
> 12 inches across. This should handle those large pots!
>
> -- Larry

That looks like a newer version of what I have Larry with a
few new features. I think that you'll be happy with it.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> I'm agitating about replacing my stove - a 22-year-old GE electric. I'm
> considering one of these two GE electric slide-ins:
> http://tinyurl.com/m8459 (I hope that link works)
> The smooth top is appealing, partly because of ease in wiping spills,
> cleaning and partly because it's the newer thing. I have big concerns
> about it, though, because I do home canning. I spoke with the GE rep
> who happened to be in the appliance store yesterday and he assures me
> that I should have no problems assuming my canning kettle has a flat
> bottom (they do) and that I wouldn't be using the burner for 4-5 hours
> at stretch (something about that tricking the sensors or something into
> thinking it was overheating and would, thus, shut off). That's not an
> issue. He didn't seem concerned about the weight of the kettles.
> What I want more than anything is to borrow someone's range for a couple
> hours and put up a batch of jam and see how it goes. :-/ That's not
> likely.
>
> My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
> you had a coil burner range?

NO!

> Have you ever canned using one?

Yes but not the batch sizes that you indulge in:-)

> Anything you hate about it?

You have to be extra careful with rough-bottomed, cast iron pots & pans,
even Le Creuset.

I have a Bosch. It has a super fast halogen "plate" and three "ordinary"
ones that are not a lot slower, it seems. I have found that temperature
control is better (faster to react) than with the old ring types.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.equipment

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article <JbMNf.88237$B94.78961@pd7tw3no>,
"graham" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > My questions: Do any of you who currently have smooth-top ranges wish
> > you had a coil burner range?

> NO!
> >
> > Have you ever canned using one?

> Yes but not the batch sizes that you indulge in:-)

I only make one batch at a time. No problem there. My canning kettle
won't hold but about 9 half pint jars. Most batches are 6-8 half pints.

> > Anything you hate about it?

> You have to be extra careful with rough-bottomed, cast iron pots & pans,
> even Le Creuset.

Understood.

Thanks for the input.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 2-28-2006, Crazy Lady Party;
Church review #7
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 04:29:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 03:52:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?

>>> Does it handle Visionware (Glass)?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dee

>> I don't know aboaut Visionware, Dee, but I have used my Pyrex
>> double-boiler on it with no problem.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright ożo ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA

> Now, Wayne, I have to ask -- is your stove induction that Pyrex works on
> -- or oh, my -- smoothtop?

I currently have a coil type stove in this rental house, but the stoves I
spoke about were regular smoothtop, not induction. They had ribbon-type
heating elements under a ceramic-glass top.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA