Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can you WOK on an electric coil stovetop?

Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
stir-frying?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
> stir-frying?
>
> Andy

No, I''ve used both but I "think" the flat-bottomed one worked a bit
better.

Quite hot! And it seems to be a good idea to get the wok hot and then
add the oil

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in message
> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok
> need to get to do stir-frying?

No you don't need a flat-bottomed wok; simply use the collar that
comes with the wok. You don't need to crank the heat to HIGH,
either, because the collar will trap in the excess and fry the unit
(or severely scorch the cooktop).

I used a regular wok on my 60s vintage GE coil stovetop for years.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to
> do
> stir-frying?
>
> Andy

Yes. The wok I use came with a separate metal ring. The wok doesn't touch
the burner. It works fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay said...

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:33:53 -0600, Andy wrote:
>
>> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get
>> to do stir-frying?
>>
>> Andy

> I don't like flat bottoms period! Guangdong
>
> Get a traditionally shaped one and put it directly on the burner. The
> ring can help to stabilize it but you don't really need it. Turn on
> the burner with wok in place.. and go smoke one.. then come back in
> and cook.

I LIKE this guy for some reason!

Thanks,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> jay said...
>
>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:33:53 -0600, Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get
>>> to do stir-frying?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I don't like flat bottoms period! Guangdong
>>
>> Get a traditionally shaped one and put it directly on the burner. The
>> ring can help to stabilize it but you don't really need it. Turn on
>> the burner with wok in place.. and go smoke one.. then come back in
>> and cook.

> I LIKE this guy for some reason!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

The only problem with a round bottom and no ring/collar is that the thing's
going to be a bit unstable, sort of like you, Andy. Then, you'll be posting
messages here, asking if you should go to the hospital for 3rd degree burns.

Use the ring.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
> stir-frying?
>
> Andy

Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you have
any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was thinking of
getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of the "electric" wok
if you know what I mean. If they work fine on the glass top surface I
would like to get them for Christmas this year. -G
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> > jay said...

> >> I don't like flat bottoms period! Guangdong
> >>
> >> Get a traditionally shaped one and put it directly on the burner. The
> >> ring can help to stabilize it but you don't really need it. Turn on
> >> the burner with wok in place.. and go smoke one.. then come back in
> >> and cook.

> > I LIKE this guy for some reason!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andy

> The only problem with a round bottom and no ring/collar is that the thing's
> going to be a bit unstable, sort of like you, Andy. Then, you'll be posting
> messages here, asking if you should go to the hospital for 3rd degree burns.
>
> Use the ring.

<lol>

Mom used to cook with a regular wok on an electric burner all the time...
We had to quit tho' when we got the glass top.

One of her last Christmas gifts was an electric wok that she'd requested.
She never did get to use it. :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Andy wrote:
> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
> stir-frying?

In "The Breath of A Wok" Grace Young recommends a flat bottomed wok
placed directly on the coil, without a ring. Having more surface in
contact with the burner, the wok will get hotter than a round bottomed
one, and high heat is essential for the typical stirfry recipe.

When I cooked on an electric stove, I placed the wok on the largest
coil and turned it to High. Then I waited until the burner was red
hot. Then I tested by placing the palm of my hand two or three inches
from the bottom of the wok, wanting it to feel hot. Then as wisps of
smoke began to appear from the wok I swirled in a little oil. Brief
pause of a few seconds, then the food. Or part of the food, if the
full amount would drop the temperature of the wok too much.

You have to keep the heat up throughout the stirfrying (for most
recipes). A good rule of thumb is, if you can't hear it sizzling and
popping it's not hot enough.

Final tip for now -- books have been written about stirfrying -- when
you put meat in, place it all around the surface of the wok in a single
layer and let it alone for 30 to 60 seconds before you begin stirring
or tossing. This helps it get the first layer of searing and avoids
overcrowding the wok. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>> jay said...

>>> I don't like flat bottoms period! Guangdong
>>>
>>> Get a traditionally shaped one and put it directly on the burner.
>>> The ring can help to stabilize it but you don't really need it.
>>> Turn on the burner with wok in place.. and go smoke one.. then come
>>> back in and cook.

>> I LIKE this guy for some reason!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy

> The only problem with a round bottom and no ring/collar is that the
> thing's going to be a bit unstable, sort of like you, Andy. Then,
> you'll be posting messages here, asking if you should go to the
> hospital for 3rd degree burns.
>
> Use the ring.

Joe,

Funny you should mention it, heh heh heh. Tore my finger open earlier
this year and squirted a gob of super glue in there and closed it up.
Good as new in minutes.

I 3rd degree burned my foot with bacon grease. Toothpaste!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get
>> to do stir-frying?
>>

> In "The Breath of A Wok" Grace Young recommends a flat bottomed wok
> placed directly on the coil, without a ring. Having more surface in
> contact with the burner, the wok will get hotter than a round bottomed
> one, and high heat is essential for the typical stirfry recipe.
>
> When I cooked on an electric stove, I placed the wok on the largest
> coil and turned it to High. Then I waited until the burner was red
> hot. Then I tested by placing the palm of my hand two or three inches
> from the bottom of the wok, wanting it to feel hot. Then as wisps of
> smoke began to appear from the wok I swirled in a little oil. Brief
> pause of a few seconds, then the food. Or part of the food, if the
> full amount would drop the temperature of the wok too much.
>
> You have to keep the heat up throughout the stirfrying (for most
> recipes). A good rule of thumb is, if you can't hear it sizzling and
> popping it's not hot enough.
>
> Final tip for now -- books have been written about stirfrying -- when
> you put meat in, place it all around the surface of the wok in a
> single layer and let it alone for 30 to 60 seconds before you begin
> stirring or tossing. This helps it get the first layer of searing and
> avoids overcrowding the wok. -aem

aem,

Thanks, I imagined it's a bit like deep frying where the more you add the
faster the temp drops and then fails to cook correctly.

Much appreciated.

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> JoeSpareBedroom said...
>
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>>> jay said...

>>> I LIKE this guy for some reason!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andy

>> The only problem with a round bottom and no ring/collar is that the
>> thing's going to be a bit unstable, sort of like you, Andy. Then,
>> you'll be posting messages here, asking if you should go to the
>> hospital for 3rd degree burns.
>>
>> Use the ring.

> Joe,
>
> Funny you should mention it, heh heh heh. Tore my finger open earlier
> this year and squirted a gob of super glue in there and closed it up.
> Good as new in minutes.
> Andy

This explains a lot. You're being slowly poisoned by toluene.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. G D Geen > wrote:
> Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you have
> any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was thinking of
> getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of the "electric" wok
> if you know what I mean. If they work fine on the glass top surface I
> would like to get them for Christmas this year. -G

I have a glass top stove and prefer a flat bottomed wok for use on
that stove. It works fine. I can get it plenty hot, though
recovery time is a little slow if you overwhelm it with ingredients.
I did not like using a round bottom wok and ring on the glass top.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
> stir-frying?

Woks are designed for open flam ckkoing, regardless round of flat
bottom. Flat bottom woks have only a small flat area, not really much
contact there for electric stove stir frying. You'll be far better off
using a heavy saute pan, a cast iron chicken fryer will be perfect
too... Lodge makes a 3qt and a 5qt... only you can decide which size is
right for you. I have a gas stove but I still prefer an ordinary pan
rather than a wok... this is my stir fry pan:
http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?i...&manufacid=171

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:53:19 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>jay said...
>
>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:33:53 -0600, Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get
>>> to do stir-frying?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I don't like flat bottoms period! Guangdong
>>
>> Get a traditionally shaped one and put it directly on the burner. The
>> ring can help to stabilize it but you don't really need it. Turn on
>> the burner with wok in place.. and go smoke one.. then come back in
>> and cook.

>I LIKE this guy for some reason!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andy

Ditto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:16:01 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> > jay said...

>> > I LIKE this guy for some reason!
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Andy

>> The only problem with a round bottom and no ring/collar is that the thing's
>> going to be a bit unstable, sort of like you, Andy. Then, you'll be posting
>> messages here, asking if you should go to the hospital for 3rd degree burns.
>>
>> Use the ring.

><lol>
>
>Mom used to cook with a regular wok on an electric burner all the time...
>We had to quit tho' when we got the glass top.
>
>One of her last Christmas gifts was an electric wok that she'd requested.
>She never did get to use it. :-(

Electric woks should be banned.

Wok cooking is high consistant heat.

Your stove, electric or gas, can NOT get as hot as a chinese stove.
Sure you can still use your wok on either. I have and still doo.
Chinese resturants have 10 inch gas pipes just for their wok stoves.
My point is, electrice woks do not get hot enough, remain hot (they
cycle), and do not heat evenly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"VegA" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:16:01 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,

>>> The only problem with a round bottom and no ring/collar is that the
>>> thing's
>>> going to be a bit unstable, sort of like you, Andy. Then, you'll be
>>> posting
>>> messages here, asking if you should go to the hospital for 3rd degree
>>> burns.
>>>
>>> Use the ring.

>><lol>
>>
>>Mom used to cook with a regular wok on an electric burner all the time...
>>We had to quit tho' when we got the glass top.
>>
>>One of her last Christmas gifts was an electric wok that she'd requested.
>>She never did get to use it. :-(

> Electric woks should be banned.
>
> Wok cooking is high consistant heat.
>
> Your stove, electric or gas, can NOT get as hot as a chinese stove.
> Sure you can still use your wok on either. I have and still doo.
> Chinese resturants have 10 inch gas pipes just for their wok stoves.

10 inch pipes? Do you mean burners?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:00:49 -0600, "Mr. G D Geen" >
wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>> Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
>> stir-frying?
>>
>> Andy

>Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you have
>any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was thinking of
>getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of the "electric" wok
>if you know what I mean. If they work fine on the glass top surface I
>would like to get them for Christmas this year. -G

Buy them a real wok and a gas turkey frier.

The fire element of the kit throws off enough heat in 10 min. to turn
a high carbon wok red!

I shit you not!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Mr. G D Geen" >
wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
> > stir-frying?
> >
> > Andy

> Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you have
> any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was thinking of
> getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of the "electric" wok
> if you know what I mean. If they work fine on the glass top surface I
> would like to get them for Christmas this year. -G

The manual that comes with my stove does not recommend it...

That is why we bought the electric one.

I could not bear to use it. I gave it away.

I stir fry in a CI skillet and that works fine. Who needs a wok?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
> > stir-frying?

> Woks are designed for open flam ckkoing, regardless round of flat
> bottom. Flat bottom woks have only a small flat area, not really much
> contact there for electric stove stir frying. You'll be far better off
> using a heavy saute pan, a cast iron chicken fryer will be perfect
> too... Lodge makes a 3qt and a 5qt... only you can decide which size is
> right for you. I have a gas stove but I still prefer an ordinary pan
> rather than a wok... this is my stir fry pan:
> http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?i...&manufacid=171
>
> Sheldon

I concur. Like I said in another post, I use a #10 cast iron skillet for
stir frying.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >, "Mr. G D Geen" >
> wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>> > Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get
>> > to do
>> > stir-frying?
>> >
>> > Andy

>> Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you have
>> any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was thinking of
>> getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of the "electric" wok
>> if you know what I mean. If they work fine on the glass top surface I
>> would like to get them for Christmas this year. -G

> The manual that comes with my stove does not recommend it...
>
> That is why we bought the electric one.
>
> I could not bear to use it. I gave it away.
>
> I stir fry in a CI skillet and that works fine. Who needs a wok?
> --
> Peace, Om

No matter how much success you have with your method, someone will think you
are hallucinating, and that the method is actually failing. It's a newsgroup
thing. A sick need to be correct all the time. An attempt to make up for
certain....insufficiencies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> > Andy wrote:
> > > Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
> > > stir-frying?

> > Woks are designed for open flam ckkoing, regardless round of flat
> > bottom. Flat bottom woks have only a small flat area, not really much
> > contact there for electric stove stir frying. You'll be far better off
> > using a heavy saute pan, a cast iron chicken fryer will be perfect
> > too... Lodge makes a 3qt and a 5qt... only you can decide which size is
> > right for you. I have a gas stove but I still prefer an ordinary pan
> > rather than a wok... this is my stir fry pan:
> > http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?i...&manufacid=171
> >
> > Sheldon

> I concur. Like I said in another post, I use a #10 cast iron skillet for
> stir frying.

Oh boy, we have two pots... you stir fry a couple dozen large shrimp...
then you can give me a hand whipping up the sauce...

SHRIMP WITH SAUCE WON YONG BOY

This recipe can be used with either shrimp or lobster. Be sure to add
the eggs just before serving the sauce.
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 pound ground pork
2 teaspoons soy sauce
Pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon fermented black beans
1 garlic clove
2 green onions (spring onions, scallions)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sherry
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
PREPARATION:
Combine the ground pork with the soy sauce, pepper and cornstarch.
Marinate the pork for 15 minutes.

Rinse the black beans, letting them sit in the water for a few minutes
to soften. Drain.

Use a cleaver or knife to finely chop the beans. Peel and mince the
garlic clove. Mash the garlic together with the soaked black beans.
Wash the green onion and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.

In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, and chicken
broth. Set aside. In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in
the water and set aside.

Lightly beat the eggs with the salt.

Heat the wok over medium high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoon oil,
swirling to coat the sides. When oil is ready, add 1/2 of the mashed
black beans and garlic mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the ground
pork. Stir-fry until it changes color. Remove and clean out the wok.

Add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add the second half of the
bean and garlic mixture. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the sauce. Give
the cornstarch and water mixture a quick re-stir and add to the sauce,
stirring quickly to thicken. Add the ground pork back into the pan.
Stir in the green onion.

Stir in the beaten eggs. Remove the sauce from the heat, pour over
shrimp or lobster and serve.
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:49:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"VegA" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:16:01 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>>><lol>
>>>
>>>Mom used to cook with a regular wok on an electric burner all the time...
>>>We had to quit tho' when we got the glass top.
>>>
>>>One of her last Christmas gifts was an electric wok that she'd requested.
>>>She never did get to use it. :-(

>> Electric woks should be banned.
>>
>> Wok cooking is high consistant heat.
>>
>> Your stove, electric or gas, can NOT get as hot as a chinese stove.
>> Sure you can still use your wok on either. I have and still doo.
>> Chinese resturants have 10 inch gas pipes just for their wok stoves.

>10 inch pipes? Do you mean burners?

Special ansel system and everything. Built in faucet system and
everything.

No. I mean pipes.

Fire departments hate them. Some places you can't go over 4 in. pipes.
So they cheat and have the burner jets opened up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:11:06 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >, "Mr. G D Geen" >
>wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>> > Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
>> > stir-frying?
>> >
>> > Andy

>> Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you have
>> any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was thinking of
>> getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of the "electric" wok
>> if you know what I mean. If they work fine on the glass top surface I
>> would like to get them for Christmas this year. -G

>The manual that comes with my stove does not recommend it...
>
>That is why we bought the electric one.
>
>I could not bear to use it. I gave it away.
>
>I stir fry in a CI skillet and that works fine. Who needs a wok?

Me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"VegA" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:49:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"VegA" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Electric woks should be banned.
>>>
>>> Wok cooking is high consistant heat.
>>>
>>> Your stove, electric or gas, can NOT get as hot as a chinese stove.
>>> Sure you can still use your wok on either. I have and still doo.
>>> Chinese resturants have 10 inch gas pipes just for their wok stoves.

>>10 inch pipes? Do you mean burners?
>>

> Special ansel system and everything. Built in faucet system and
> everything.
>
> No. I mean pipes.
>
> Fire departments hate them. Some places you can't go over 4 in. pipes.
> So they cheat and have the burner jets opened up.

Gas pipes coming into buildings aren't even close to 10 inches in diameter.
What purpose would be served by feeding them into a much fatter pipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >, "Mr. G D Geen" >
> > wrote:

> >> Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you have
> >> any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was thinking of
> >> getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of the "electric" wok
> >> if you know what I mean. If they work fine on the glass top surface I
> >> would like to get them for Christmas this year. -G

> > The manual that comes with my stove does not recommend it...
> >
> > That is why we bought the electric one.
> >
> > I could not bear to use it. I gave it away.
> >
> > I stir fry in a CI skillet and that works fine. Who needs a wok?
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> No matter how much success you have with your method, someone will think you
> are hallucinating, and that the method is actually failing. It's a newsgroup
> thing. A sick need to be correct all the time. An attempt to make up for
> certain....insufficiencies.

That's part of the fun...... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article .com>,

> > > Woks are designed for open flam ckkoing, regardless round of flat
> > > bottom. Flat bottom woks have only a small flat area, not really much
> > > contact there for electric stove stir frying. You'll be far better off
> > > using a heavy saute pan, a cast iron chicken fryer will be perfect
> > > too... Lodge makes a 3qt and a 5qt... only you can decide which size is
> > > right for you. I have a gas stove but I still prefer an ordinary pan
> > > rather than a wok... this is my stir fry pan:
> > > http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?i...&manufacid=171
> > >
> > > Sheldon

> > I concur. Like I said in another post, I use a #10 cast iron skillet for
> > stir frying.

> Oh boy, we have two pots... you stir fry a couple dozen large shrimp...
> then you can give me a hand whipping up the sauce...
>

> SHRIMP WITH SAUCE WON YONG BOY
>
> This recipe can be used with either shrimp or lobster. Be sure to add
> the eggs just before serving the sauce.

<snipped>

> Stir in the beaten eggs. Remove the sauce from the heat, pour over
> shrimp or lobster and serve.
> ---
>
> Sheldon

Saved to the recipe file, thanks! That really sounds good!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:56:41 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"VegA" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:49:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>> > wrote:

>>>10 inch pipes? Do you mean burners?
>>>

>> Special ansel system and everything. Built in faucet system and
>> everything.
>>
>> No. I mean pipes.
>>
>> Fire departments hate them. Some places you can't go over 4 in. pipes.
>> So they cheat and have the burner jets opened up.

>Gas pipes coming into buildings aren't even close to 10 inches in diameter.
>What purpose would be served by feeding them into a much fatter pipe?

Fatter gas?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
VegA > wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:11:06 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, "Mr. G D Geen" >
> >wrote:

> >> Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you have
> >> any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was thinking of
> >> getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of the "electric" wok
> >> if you know what I mean. If they work fine on the glass top surface I
> >> would like to get them for Christmas this year. -G

> >The manual that comes with my stove does not recommend it...
> >
> >That is why we bought the electric one.
> >
> >I could not bear to use it. I gave it away.
> >
> >I stir fry in a CI skillet and that works fine. Who needs a wok?

> Me!

Wuss. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"VegA" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:56:41 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"VegA" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:49:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

m...

>>> Special ansel system and everything. Built in faucet system and
>>> everything.
>>>
>>> No. I mean pipes.
>>>
>>> Fire departments hate them. Some places you can't go over 4 in. pipes.
>>> So they cheat and have the burner jets opened up.

>>Gas pipes coming into buildings aren't even close to 10 inches in
>>diameter.
>>What purpose would be served by feeding them into a much fatter pipe?
>>

> Fatter gas?

Just as I thought. You're making this shit up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, "Mr. G D Geen"
> > wrote:
>
> > Andy wrote:
> > > Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to
> > > get to do stir-frying?
> > >
> > > Andy

> > Someone else mentioned having a glass top stove here. Any of you
> > have any experience with a wok/ring on a glass top stove. I was
> > thinking of getting my parents a wok but I am not really fond of
> > the "electric" wok if you know what I mean. If they work fine on
> > the glass top surface I would like to get them for Christmas this
> > year. -G

> The manual that comes with my stove does not recommend it...
>
> That is why we bought the electric one.
>
> I could not bear to use it. I gave it away.
>
> I stir fry in a CI skillet and that works fine. Who needs a wok?

The sides of a skillet are too low to allow really good stir-frying.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> > I stir fry in a CI skillet and that works fine. Who needs a wok?

> The sides of a skillet are too low to allow really good stir-frying.
>

> Brian

Why?

My CI skillet is nearly as deep as any average wok I've ever seen,
unless you are using one of the hyooge ones?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > > I stir fry in a CI skillet and that works fine. Who needs a wok?

> > The sides of a skillet are too low to allow really good stir-frying.

> Why?
>
> My CI skillet is nearly as deep as any average wok I've ever seen,
> unless you are using one of the hyooge ones?

How deep is your skillet? Most woks are 6 inches or more.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:33:53 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Do I need a flat bottomed wok or what? How hot does a wok need to get to do
>stir-frying?

I have a flat-bottomed, cast iron wok that I've used on both electric
and gas stoves. I love that thing!

Here's one that's similar (mine was made by Joyce Chen, and they seem
to have vanished off the market):
http://tinyurl.com/yhp58g
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cast-Iron-Large-...3300 48181612
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > The sides of a skillet are too low to allow really good stir-frying.

> > Why?
> >
> > My CI skillet is nearly as deep as any average wok I've ever seen,
> > unless you are using one of the hyooge ones?

> How deep is your skillet? Most woks are 6 inches or more.
>

> Brian

The ancient Wok mom used for years was only about 4" deep.

A 6" deep wok? Wow, restaurant sized!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > Why?
> > >
> > > My CI skillet is nearly as deep as any average wok I've ever
> > > seen, unless you are using one of the hyooge ones?

> > How deep is your skillet? Most woks are 6 inches or more.
> >

> > Brian

> The ancient Wok mom used for years was only about 4" deep.
>
> A 6" deep wok? Wow, restaurant sized!

A quick google check shows the 18" diameter woks to be about 5" deep. I
was a bit off.

A skillet is what, 3" or so?

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:49:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>10 inch pipes?

Joe....what compels you to quote 85 lines of drivel just to add your
ONE line?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:43:54 -0600, VegA > wrote:

>Ditto.

Vega......what compels you to quote 125 lines of drivel just to add
your ONE LINE?