Tess

Default Heat-resistant handles?

Hi,

I was wondering which cookware lines have heat-resistant handles? I
know that All-Clad handles aren't supposed to get hot on the stovetop,
and I believe that Calphalon is also heat-resistant. Are metal Le
Creuest handles also heat resistant? I've seen many pots and pans
which have metal handles, and I was curious as to whether they were
all heat-resistant on the stovetop. I don't often use pot holders, so
I'd hate to buy a pan with a metal handle that constantly got too hot
to touch on the stovetop. Thanks!
Vox Humana

"Tess" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering which cookware lines have heat-resistant handles? I
> know that All-Clad handles aren't supposed to get hot on the stovetop,
> and I believe that Calphalon is also heat-resistant. Are metal Le
> Creuest handles also heat resistant? I've seen many pots and pans
> which have metal handles, and I was curious as to whether they were
> all heat-resistant on the stovetop. I don't often use pot holders, so
> I'd hate to buy a pan with a metal handle that constantly got too hot
> to touch on the stovetop. Thanks!

I think it depends substantially on what type of heat source you are using.
On an electric range, most any type of handle will stay relatively cool. On
a gas range, I find that the tubular handles tend to get very hot while
solid cast metal handles stay cooler. In any even, I use a pot holder.

Colin

Tess,

The term 'Heat resistant' when applied to pot/pan handles has two meanings:

First, those handles that can go into a hot oven. This means no plastic.
Second, those that resist the transfer of heat. All-clad uses stainless
steel handles, because stainless does not transfer heat well. Also,
making the handle thin hear the pot/pan reduces heat transfer (thicker
materials transfer heat better than do thin materials).

Colin

Tess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering which cookware lines have heat-resistant handles? I
> know that All-Clad handles aren't supposed to get hot on the stovetop,
> and I believe that Calphalon is also heat-resistant. Are metal Le
> Creuest handles also heat resistant? I've seen many pots and pans
> which have metal handles, and I was curious as to whether they were
> all heat-resistant on the stovetop. I don't often use pot holders, so
> I'd hate to buy a pan with a metal handle that constantly got too hot
> to touch on the stovetop. Thanks!

zippoman

I have Calphalon Tri-Ply stainless steel pots and pans and use them on a gas
range. The handles stay cool except for the 6 qt soup pot. Although be
careful, i get used to just picking them up and when I go to take one out of
the oven I have to remember they ain't so cool then!

m...