FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Heat-resistant handles? (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/7653-heat-resistant-handles.html)

Tess 21-12-2003 04:03 AM

Heat-resistant handles?

Hi,

I was wondering which cookware lines have heat-resistant handles? I
know that All-Clad handles aren't supposed to get hot on the stovetop,
and I believe that Calphalon is also heat-resistant. Are metal Le
Creuest handles also heat resistant? I've seen many pots and pans
which have metal handles, and I was curious as to whether they were
all heat-resistant on the stovetop. I don't often use pot holders, so
I'd hate to buy a pan with a metal handle that constantly got too hot
to touch on the stovetop. Thanks!

Debbie Deutsch 21-12-2003 06:28 AM

Heat-resistant handles?

(Tess) wrote in news:fce8ac06.0312202003.208b506
@posting.google.com:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering which cookware lines have heat-resistant handles? I
> know that All-Clad handles aren't supposed to get hot on the stovetop,
> and I believe that Calphalon is also heat-resistant. Are metal Le
> Creuest handles also heat resistant? I've seen many pots and pans
> which have metal handles, and I was curious as to whether they were
> all heat-resistant on the stovetop. I don't often use pot holders, so
> I'd hate to buy a pan with a metal handle that constantly got too hot
> to touch on the stovetop. Thanks!

What's wrong with using potholders?

In the wrong situation, any metal handle can get hot... and you can't
tell by looking. Save your hands and self a lot of pain - just make a
habit of using pot holders.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if

Vox Humana 21-12-2003 04:00 PM

Heat-resistant handles?

"Tess" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering which cookware lines have heat-resistant handles? I
> know that All-Clad handles aren't supposed to get hot on the stovetop,
> and I believe that Calphalon is also heat-resistant. Are metal Le
> Creuest handles also heat resistant? I've seen many pots and pans
> which have metal handles, and I was curious as to whether they were
> all heat-resistant on the stovetop. I don't often use pot holders, so
> I'd hate to buy a pan with a metal handle that constantly got too hot
> to touch on the stovetop. Thanks!

I think it depends substantially on what type of heat source you are using.
On an electric range, most any type of handle will stay relatively cool. On
a gas range, I find that the tubular handles tend to get very hot while
solid cast metal handles stay cooler. In any even, I use a pot holder.

Colin 21-12-2003 04:50 PM

Heat-resistant handles?

Tess,

The term 'Heat resistant' when applied to pot/pan handles has two meanings:

First, those handles that can go into a hot oven. This means no plastic.
Second, those that resist the transfer of heat. All-clad uses stainless
steel handles, because stainless does not transfer heat well. Also,
making the handle thin hear the pot/pan reduces heat transfer (thicker
materials transfer heat better than do thin materials).

Colin

zippoman 22-12-2003 03:05 PM

Heat-resistant handles?

I have Calphalon Tri-Ply stainless steel pots and pans and use them on a gas
range. The handles stay cool except for the 6 qt soup pot. Although be
careful, i get used to just picking them up and when I go to take one out of
the oven I have to remember they ain't so cool then!

m...