David D.

Default Heat Shrink Adaptor for Heat Gun

Has anyone used this product:
http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=19486 ....just curious
if it's effective at speeding up the heat shrink process. I currently
use a hair dryer, which takes about 15 - 30 sec to do a single bottle.

Thanks,
David
Denver, CO

I didn't check the site, but I understand what you're looking for. I
use a Wagner heat gun, I bought it years ago to remove paint. It takes
about 3 seconds to shrink wrap a sleeve on a bottle.

Paul

A. J. Rawls

Hummm.... I use a sauce pan of boiling water... Very inexpensive and
does the job in about a second...

Later,
A.J.

On 26 Aug 2005 13:35:58 -0700, "David D." > wrote:

>Has anyone used this product:
>http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=19486 ....just curious
>if it's effective at speeding up the heat shrink process. I currently
>use a hair dryer, which takes about 15 - 30 sec to do a single bottle.
>
>Thanks,
>David
>Denver, CO

Pinky

I saw one of these about 4 years ago at the last " Annual Homebrew and Wine
show" in UK ( in Stockport). It was an excellent addition to a heat gun and
produced a perfectly smooth job every time without the need to overheat your
fingers while a applying the first shot of heat to the shrink wrap. It
certainly improved the heat shrink process considerably and improved the
safety aspect even more.

Sadly I didn't buy one 'cos I didn't know whether it would fit my specific
heat gun.. I have never seen one since -- so I continue to use my gun and
warm my fingers -- still that is still a lot faster and safer than using
steam from a kettle and not as messy as playing around with hot water.

The heat gun coupled with my Portuguese floor corker almost makes bottling a
pleasure -- well not really -- but you all know what I mean!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
"David D." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Has anyone used this product:
> http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=19486 ....just curious
> if it's effective at speeding up the heat shrink process. I currently
> use a hair dryer, which takes about 15 - 30 sec to do a single bottle.
>
> Thanks,
> David
> Denver, CO

Ed Marks

I just use a wooden dowel to hold the shrink wrap in place until the heat
does it's job. It's very cheap, fast, and saves fingers.

Ed

"David D." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Has anyone used this product:
> http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=19486 ....just curious
> if it's effective at speeding up the heat shrink process. I currently
> use a hair dryer, which takes about 15 - 30 sec to do a single bottle.
>
> Thanks,
> David
> Denver, CO

Steve Waller

I'm with A.J.

The hardest thing is waiting for the pot to boil. But you can get
organized while waiting. Hold the shrink on with a large slotted
spoon or fork when you slip it into the boiling water.

Steve

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:14:49 -0800, A. J. Rawls
> wrote:

>Hummm.... I use a sauce pan of boiling water... Very inexpensive and
>does the job in about a second...
>
>Later,
>A.J.

Rob

I also use a boiling water bath, and bend a coathanger to hold the
capsule on the neck of the bottle while dunking. Takes more time to
line up the capsule and the coathanger than to shrink it.

Rob

David D.

One thing I like about upright configurations are that they don't
directly heat the wine, just the cork & ullage. It seems like a lot of
you are using boiling water. Are you concerned about the contact time
of the wine in the neck w/ the boiling water? I wonder if it affects
quality/ageablility??? -David

A. J. Rawls

I am not concerned about heat transfer... I hold the shrinkwrap with
my fingers and dip the neck of the bottle into boiling water for about
one second... The areaa dipped is pretty much the area containing the
cork... I have not had any problems with this method and it applies
much less heat for a shorter amount of time that other methods.

Later,
A.J.

On 6 Sep 2005 09:45:59 -0700, "David D." > wrote:

>One thing I like about upright configurations are that they don't
>directly heat the wine, just the cork & ullage. It seems like a lot of
>you are using boiling water. Are you concerned about the contact time
>of the wine in the neck w/ the boiling water? I wonder if it affects
>quality/ageablility??? -David

Rob

I agreee with AJ. If you have a good boil going, the shrink happens so
fast that the heat transfer to the wine is probably immesurable,
because it's such a short time of exposure.

Rob

Getting the 'heat' out........ Kalmia General Cooking 5 29-10-2012 10:04 PM
The heat is on! Julie Bove Diabetic 28 10-07-2010 06:49 AM
You want some heat????? PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 6 05-07-2008 02:46 PM
Got heat? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 45 11-06-2008 01:48 AM
How to make "Heat Retentive Plates" and "Heat Retentive Coffee Mugs" Juan General Cooking 2 04-10-2006 06:40 AM