BYDMORAN

Default Espresso machine recommendation

We are looking for a new espresso machine. Anything we buy will have to be
ordered as there are none in stores nearby.

Last one was a Gaggia. It has lasted probably 4 years but is now producting
coffee which tastes burnt.

Does anyone have an recommendations in the under $300 range?

The Man With The Four Way Hips

"BYDMORAN" > wrote in message
> ...is now producting
> coffee which tastes burnt.
>
> Does anyone have an recommendations...

Change brands of coffee.

Joe Loewenstein

In message > - "The Man With
The Four Way Hips" > writes:
:>
:>
:>"BYDMORAN" > wrote in message
:>> ...is now producting
:>> coffee which tastes burnt.
:>>
:>> Does anyone have an recommendations...
:>
:>
:>Change brands of coffee.
:>
:>

If you can disassemble the grouphead on your machine and haven't yet done so
in order to give it a good cleaning, I'd start there.

If you can backflush the machine and haven't done so recently, I'd do that.

If you can replace the grouphead gasket and haven't done so recenty, I'd
certainly do that.

If that doesn't improve the taste of the coffee, you may need a new rig.

If you don't have a good burr grinder, you won't get good espresso.
Minimally, you need a Bodum Antigua (about $60); next step up is a Solis
Maestro (about $120). And you can go higher for better results. Then you
could spend the rest of your budget on a new machine -- maybe a Krups Gusto
($120), a Gaggia Carezza or a refurbed Gaggia Coffee or certain Saecos (Via
Veneto or Classico).

Believe me about the grinder. If you're using pre-ground coffee or a
whirly-blade "bean whacker," a $300 or $1200 espresso machine will make worse
coffee for you than will a Krups Gusto with a decent burr grinder like the
Solis. I swear.

More info -- much more -- at alt.coffee and at coffeegeek.com.

Joe

Rick & Cyndi

"Joe Loewenstein" > wrote in message
om...
: In message > -
"The Man With
: The Four Way Hips" > writes:
: :>
: :>
: :>"BYDMORAN" > wrote in message
: ...
: :>> ...is now producting
: :>> coffee which tastes burnt.
: :>>
: :>> Does anyone have an recommendations...
:=======

<whistle!> My little $100. Salton 3-in-1 does a pretty good job.
But then, I don't make espresso that often... we also use a $ 20.
French Press, too.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Baldy Cotton

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>We are looking for a new espresso machine. Anything we buy will have to be
>ordered as there are none in stores nearby.
>Last one was a Gaggia. It has lasted probably 4 years but is now producting
>coffee which tastes burnt.
>Does anyone have an recommendations in the under $300 range?

You probably won't find a lasting machine for under $300. $400 minimum
or you'll get something that won't have the pressure to make real
espresso.

Gaggia makes great machines, and I doubt the machine itself is the
problem. The only cause of a burnt taste caused by the coffee maker
(that I can think of) would be if there are coffee grounds stuck above
the screen above the portofilter. There should be a screw to remove to
drop the screen. Do so and clean it out. Lotsa muck collects there,
right?

As to the real cause of the burnt taste. First... don't buy the
over-roasted beans that Starbies sells. They consistantly over-roast
ALL their beans.

Go to a good local shop for fresh beans or learn to roast your own.

But first, go to Randy Glass' web site and read all about making great
espresso. He really knows his stuff.

Go ask questions on alt.coffee. They are a great bunch of people (many
who own shops) who know about all there is to know about your problem.

If you insist on getting a new machine, look at the Rancilio Sylvia,
available from either http://www.wholelattelove.com/ or
http://www.1st-line.com

It's probably the most popular (quality) brand sold for home use in the
U.S.

Dave
Rick & Cyndi

:
[...]
<snip>
==========

Hey Baldy, we've just started roasting our own. Lots of fun,
much better results than any store-bought beans... now if DH
would stop doing it in my kitchen and do it in the garage, I'd be
much happier! LOL

The majority of our beans we've been getting from Sweet Maria's.
I love their site. It is SO much information. I think Rick (DH)
also bought a couple of pounds from Zack & ..? Currently we're
using my old Popcorn popper to roast them... we haven't needed to
buy a roaster yet but we'll soon be checking into the
possibilities, just in case.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Baldy Cotton

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>The majority of our beans we've been getting from Sweet Maria's.
>I love their site. It is SO much information.

Sweet Maria's is great, as is Peet's.

>I think Rick (DH) also bought a couple of pounds from Zack & ..?

Well, I know of Zack's Coffee, and I know of Zack and Dani Roasters, so
maybe you've joined the two...?

>Currently we're
>using my old Popcorn popper to roast them... we haven't needed to
>buy a roaster yet but we'll soon be checking into the
>possibilities, just in case.

I've had no success finding a working Poppery (no folks, the new models
don't work. They melt.) I read about people finding them in yard sales
for 50 cents, and in Salvation Army stores for a buck, but I have had no
luck.

Check into alt.coffee. Someone there just mentioned a new roaster
coming on the market for less than $200 that they say is supposed
to be the cats meow.

Rick & Cyndi

"Baldy Cotton" > wrote in message
: Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
: >The majority of our beans we've been getting from Sweet
Maria's.
: >I love their site. It is SO much information.
:
: Sweet Maria's is great, as is Peet's.

** I haven't looked at Peet's yet. I'll have to check it out.

:
: >I think Rick (DH) also bought a couple of pounds from Zack &
...?
:
: Well, I know of Zack's Coffee, and I know of Zack and Dani
Roasters, so
: maybe you've joined the two...?

** Yeah, it's Zack & Dani's. According to Rick, they sell coffee
too.

:
: >Currently we're
: >using my old Popcorn popper to roast them... we haven't needed
: >buy a roaster yet but we'll soon be checking into the
: >possibilities, just in case.
:
: I've had no success finding a working Poppery (no folks, the
new models
: don't work. They melt.) I read about people finding them in
yard sales
: for 50 cents, and in Salvation Army stores for a buck, but I
have had no
: luck.
:

** Darn. I had to get on Rick's case the other day so he
wouldn't melt mine. Even though it's one of the older ones that
you can roast with... it doesn't like doing 3 batches - one right
after the other... especially when he/you're doing 4-5 minute
full city roasts...

: Check into alt.coffee. Someone there just mentioned a new
roaster
: coming on the market for less than $200 that they say is
supposed
: to be the cats meow.
:

** Hmmm. I'll do just that. Thanks. I haven't been in that
group for a while.

Take care,
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>