Rick & Cyndi

Default Espresso machine recommendation

"Baldy Cotton" > wrote in message
: Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
: >We are looking for a new espresso machine. Anything we buy
will have to be
: >ordered as there are none in stores nearby.
: >Last one was a Gaggia. It has lasted probably 4 years but is
now producting
: >coffee which tastes burnt.
: >Does anyone have an recommendations in the under $300 range?
:
: You probably won't find a lasting machine for under $300. $400
minimum
: or you'll get something that won't have the pressure to make
real
: espresso.
:
: Gaggia makes great machines, and I doubt the machine itself is
the
: problem. The only cause of a burnt taste caused by the coffee
maker
: (that I can think of) would be if there are coffee grounds
stuck above
: the screen above the portofilter. There should be a screw to
remove to
: drop the screen. Do so and clean it out. Lotsa muck collects
there,
: right?
:
: As to the real cause of the burnt taste. First... don't buy
the
: over-roasted beans that Starbies sells. They consistantly
over-roast
: ALL their beans.
:
: Go to a good local shop for fresh beans or learn to roast your
own.
:
<snip>
==========

Hey Baldy, we've just started roasting our own. Lots of fun,
much better results than any store-bought beans... now if DH
would stop doing it in my kitchen and do it in the garage, I'd be
much happier! LOL

The majority of our beans we've been getting from Sweet Maria's.
I love their site. It is SO much information. I think Rick (DH)
also bought a couple of pounds from Zack & ..? Currently we're
using my old Popcorn popper to roast them... we haven't needed to
buy a roaster yet but we'll soon be checking into the
possibilities, just in case.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>