Baldy Cotton

Default Espresso machine recommendation

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>We are looking for a new espresso machine. Anything we buy will have to be
>ordered as there are none in stores nearby.
>Last one was a Gaggia. It has lasted probably 4 years but is now producting
>coffee which tastes burnt.
>Does anyone have an recommendations in the under $300 range?

You probably won't find a lasting machine for under $300. $400 minimum
or you'll get something that won't have the pressure to make real
espresso.

Gaggia makes great machines, and I doubt the machine itself is the
problem. The only cause of a burnt taste caused by the coffee maker
(that I can think of) would be if there are coffee grounds stuck above
the screen above the portofilter. There should be a screw to remove to
drop the screen. Do so and clean it out. Lotsa muck collects there,
right?

As to the real cause of the burnt taste. First... don't buy the
over-roasted beans that Starbies sells. They consistantly over-roast
ALL their beans.

Go to a good local shop for fresh beans or learn to roast your own.

But first, go to Randy Glass' web site and read all about making great
espresso. He really knows his stuff.

Go ask questions on alt.coffee. They are a great bunch of people (many
who own shops) who know about all there is to know about your problem.

If you insist on getting a new machine, look at the Rancilio Sylvia,
available from either http://www.wholelattelove.com/ or
http://www.1st-line.com

It's probably the most popular (quality) brand sold for home use in the
U.S.

Dave