Joe Loewenstein

Default Espresso machine recommendation

In message > - "The Man With
The Four Way Hips" > writes:
:>
:>"BYDMORAN" > wrote in message
:>> ...is now producting
:>> coffee which tastes burnt.
:>>
:>> Does anyone have an recommendations...
:>
:>
:>Change brands of coffee.
:>
:>

If you can disassemble the grouphead on your machine and haven't yet done so
in order to give it a good cleaning, I'd start there.

If you can backflush the machine and haven't done so recently, I'd do that.

If you can replace the grouphead gasket and haven't done so recenty, I'd
certainly do that.

If that doesn't improve the taste of the coffee, you may need a new rig.

If you don't have a good burr grinder, you won't get good espresso.
Minimally, you need a Bodum Antigua (about $60); next step up is a Solis
Maestro (about $120). And you can go higher for better results. Then you
could spend the rest of your budget on a new machine -- maybe a Krups Gusto
($120), a Gaggia Carezza or a refurbed Gaggia Coffee or certain Saecos (Via
Veneto or Classico).

Believe me about the grinder. If you're using pre-ground coffee or a
whirly-blade "bean whacker," a $300 or $1200 espresso machine will make worse
coffee for you than will a Krups Gusto with a decent burr grinder like the
Solis. I swear.

More info -- much more -- at alt.coffee and at coffeegeek.com.

Joe