Old 02-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Cynthia Mason

Default pepper grinder

What is the best pepper grinder?

Old 02-12-2004, 06:20 AM
Sis

"Cynthia Mason" wrote in message
What is the best pepper grinder?

I like the Peugeot(sp) wooden pepper grinder. It both works and looks great.
Sis

Old 02-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Cynthia Mason" wrote in message
What is the best pepper grinder?

We've been using out Atlas for over 15 years now.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Peter Aitken

"Cynthia Mason" wrote in message
What is the best pepper grinder?

Peugeot is known for making excellent grinding mechanisms, and I think
various other companies use them in their grinders. Turn the grinder over
and see if it says Peugeot on the mechanism.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 02-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Joe Duffy

Peter Aitken wrote:
"Cynthia Mason" wrote in message
What is the best pepper grinder?

Peugeot is known for making excellent grinding mechanisms, and I think
various other companies use them in their grinders. Turn the grinder over
and see if it says Peugeot on the mechanism.

I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
but I must say that it's time to step up to
the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
while cooking.
Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
of pepper.
These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
use as much pepper as I do!

Joe

Old 02-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Peter Aitken

"Joe Duffy" wrote in message
Peter Aitken wrote:
"Cynthia Mason" wrote in message
What is the best pepper grinder?

Peugeot is known for making excellent grinding mechanisms, and I think
various other companies use them in their grinders. Turn the grinder over
and see if it says Peugeot on the mechanism.

I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
but I must say that it's time to step up to
the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
while cooking.
Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
of pepper.
These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
use as much pepper as I do!

You should keep your peppercords sealed in a dry, cool place. Those in the
grinder will loose flavor and I sure wouldn;t want them sitting there for
more than a few weeks.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 02-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Joe Duffy

Peter Aitken wrote:

You should keep your peppercords sealed in a dry, cool place. Those in the
grinder will loose flavor and I sure wouldn;t want them sitting there for
more than a few weeks.

Hmmm. Good point.
I do store them in a cool, dry place
and fill the grinder every week or two...
but, the convenience of changing the grind
reliably may still warrant a Magnum.

Joe

Old 02-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Ellen

"Joe Duffy" wrote in message

I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
but I must say that it's time to step up to
the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
while cooking.
Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
of pepper.
These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
use as much pepper as I do!

Ah yes, I got the Magnum about 6 mths or so ago based on recommendations
from this group and I just love it. Best pepper mill I have ever had. There
are many reasons it is wonderful but one of the outstanding ones is the
ability to fill it thru the upper side without having to unscrew the top or
the bottom ...

Ellen

Old 02-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Michael Siemon

"Ellen" wrote:

"Joe Duffy" wrote in message

I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
but I must say that it's time to step up to
the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
while cooking.
Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
of pepper.
These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
use as much pepper as I do!

Ah yes, I got the Magnum about 6 mths or so ago based on recommendations
from this group and I just love it. Best pepper mill I have ever had. There
are many reasons it is wonderful but one of the outstanding ones is the
ability to fill it thru the upper side without having to unscrew the top or
the bottom ...

I've had a Magnum for about 4-5 years now, and like it a lot.
Since my regular 6" version gets a refill every 6 to 8 weeks,
I seriously doubt the Magnum Plus holds "a lifetime worth" :-).
Old 03-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Joe Duffy

Michael Siemon wrote:

I've had a Magnum for about 4-5 years now, and like it a lot.
Since my regular 6" version gets a refill every 6 to 8 weeks,
I seriously doubt the Magnum Plus holds "a lifetime worth" :-).

Hey, this is the 21st century.
Anything over 2 weeks is a lifetime!
Seriously though, do both you and Ellen have
the regular Magnum?
Any tips on whether to get the Magnum Plus or
the regular?

Joe

Old 03-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Ellen

"Joe Duffy" wrote in message

Hey, this is the 21st century.
Anything over 2 weeks is a lifetime!
Seriously though, do both you and Ellen have
the regular Magnum?
Any tips on whether to get the Magnum Plus or
the regular?

Joe

I have the magnum plus -- I can't seem to find the online store I bought it
at unfortunately -- they were very pleasant to deal with.

Ellen

Old 03-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Joe Duffy

Ellen wrote:

I have the magnum plus -- I can't seem to find the online store I bought it
at unfortunately -- they were very pleasant to deal with.

I think that I will go with it as well.
Happy Holidays!

Joe