FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   pepper grinder (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/47262-pepper-grinder.html)

Cynthia Mason 02-12-2004 05:42 AM

pepper grinder

What is the best pepper grinder?

Sis 02-12-2004 06:20 AM

"Cynthia Mason" > wrote in message
> What is the best pepper grinder?

I like the Peugeot(sp) wooden pepper grinder. It both works and looks great.
Sis

Edwin Pawlowski 02-12-2004 12:16 PM

"Cynthia Mason" > wrote in message
> What is the best pepper grinder?

We've been using out Atlas for over 15 years now.

Peter Aitken 02-12-2004 02:04 PM

"Cynthia Mason" > wrote in message
> What is the best pepper grinder?

Peugeot is known for making excellent grinding mechanisms, and I think
various other companies use them in their grinders. Turn the grinder over
and see if it says Peugeot on the mechanism.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken 02-12-2004 02:04 PM

Wayne Boatwright 02-12-2004 02:47 PM

(Cynthia Mason) wrote in news:11307-41AE9D27-243
@storefull-3275.bay.webtv.net:

> What is the best pepper grinder?

We have used a Perfex mill and a Peugeot mill for over 30 years and
wouldn't be without either one. The Perfex mill is made of solid cast
aluminum with a stainless steel grinding mechanism, and is virtually
indestructible. I use it primarily in the kitchen. The Peugeot mill is
made of olivewood, also with a stainless steel grinding mechanism. I use
it primarily on the table.

We also have a battery-operated mill, made in Switzerland, which we have
used for over 25 years. Unfortunately, I cannot find a brand name on it.
Its body is made of heavy plastic and also has a stainless steel grinding
mechanism that has been very reliable. It's particularly handy when one-
handed grinding is needed.

Both the Perfex and Peugeot mills are easily and highly adjustable for
fineness/coarseness of grind. The electric mill is non-adjustable, but
produces a very nice medium grind.

HTH

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Joe Duffy 02-12-2004 05:49 PM

In article >,
Peter Aitken > wrote:
>"Cynthia Mason" > wrote in message
>> What is the best pepper grinder?
>>

>Peugeot is known for making excellent grinding mechanisms, and I think
>various other companies use them in their grinders. Turn the grinder over
>and see if it says Peugeot on the mechanism.

I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
but I must say that it's time to step up to
the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
while cooking.
Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
of pepper.
These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
use as much pepper as I do!

Joe

Peter Aitken 02-12-2004 08:00 PM

"Joe Duffy" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Peter Aitken > wrote:
> >"Cynthia Mason" > wrote in message
> >> What is the best pepper grinder?
> >>

> >Peugeot is known for making excellent grinding mechanisms, and I think
> >various other companies use them in their grinders. Turn the grinder over
> >and see if it says Peugeot on the mechanism.
> >

> I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
> but I must say that it's time to step up to
> the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
> Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
> a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
> while cooking.
> Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
> week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
> of pepper.
> These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
> use as much pepper as I do!

You should keep your peppercords sealed in a dry, cool place. Those in the
grinder will loose flavor and I sure wouldn;t want them sitting there for
more than a few weeks.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken 02-12-2004 08:00 PM

Joe Duffy 02-12-2004 09:21 PM

In article > ,
Peter Aitken > wrote:

>You should keep your peppercords sealed in a dry, cool place. Those in the
>grinder will loose flavor and I sure wouldn;t want them sitting there for
>more than a few weeks.

Hmmm. Good point.
I do store them in a cool, dry place
and fill the grinder every week or two...
but, the convenience of changing the grind
reliably may still warrant a Magnum.

Joe

Ellen 02-12-2004 10:06 PM

"Joe Duffy" > wrote in message

> I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
> but I must say that it's time to step up to
> the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
> Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
> a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
> while cooking.
> Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
> week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
> of pepper.
> These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
> use as much pepper as I do!

Ah yes, I got the Magnum about 6 mths or so ago based on recommendations
from this group and I just love it. Best pepper mill I have ever had. There
are many reasons it is wonderful but one of the outstanding ones is the
ability to fill it thru the upper side without having to unscrew the top or
the bottom ...

Ellen

Michael Siemon 02-12-2004 10:29 PM

In article >,
"Ellen" > wrote:

> "Joe Duffy" > wrote in message
> >
> > I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
> > but I must say that it's time to step up to
> > the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
> > Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
> > a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
> > while cooking.
> > Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
> > week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
> > of pepper.
> > These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
> > use as much pepper as I do!
> >

> Ah yes, I got the Magnum about 6 mths or so ago based on recommendations
> from this group and I just love it. Best pepper mill I have ever had. There
> are many reasons it is wonderful but one of the outstanding ones is the
> ability to fill it thru the upper side without having to unscrew the top or
> the bottom ...

I've had a Magnum for about 4-5 years now, and like it a lot.
Since my regular 6" version gets a refill every 6 to 8 weeks,
I seriously doubt the Magnum Plus holds "a lifetime worth" :-).

Joe Duffy 03-12-2004 04:21 PM

In article >,
Michael Siemon > wrote:

>I've had a Magnum for about 4-5 years now, and like it a lot.
>Since my regular 6" version gets a refill every 6 to 8 weeks,
>I seriously doubt the Magnum Plus holds "a lifetime worth" :-).

Hey, this is the 21st century.
Anything over 2 weeks is a lifetime!
Seriously though, do both you and Ellen have
the regular Magnum?
Any tips on whether to get the Magnum Plus or
the regular?

Joe

Ellen 03-12-2004 07:22 PM

"Joe Duffy" > wrote in message

> Hey, this is the 21st century.
> Anything over 2 weeks is a lifetime!
> Seriously though, do both you and Ellen have
> the regular Magnum?
> Any tips on whether to get the Magnum Plus or
> the regular?
>

> Joe

I have the magnum plus -- I can't seem to find the online store I bought it
at unfortunately -- they were very pleasant to deal with.

Ellen

Joe Duffy 03-12-2004 08:37 PM

In article >,
Ellen > wrote:

>I have the magnum plus -- I can't seem to find the online store I bought it
>at unfortunately -- they were very pleasant to deal with.

I think that I will go with it as well.
Happy Holidays!

Joe

Michael Siemon 03-12-2004 08:59 PM

In article >,
(Joe Duffy) wrote:

> In article >,
> Michael Siemon > wrote:
> >
> >I've had a Magnum for about 4-5 years now, and like it a lot.
> >Since my regular 6" version gets a refill every 6 to 8 weeks,
> >I seriously doubt the Magnum Plus holds "a lifetime worth" :-).

> Hey, this is the 21st century.
> Anything over 2 weeks is a lifetime!
> Seriously though, do both you and Ellen have
> the regular Magnum?
> Any tips on whether to get the Magnum Plus or
> the regular?

Well, I think the regular (6") version is more than big
enough for a dinner table grinder, but nice sized for
cooking. Personally, I think the Magnum Plus would be
overkill. However, after a look at the Unicorn web page,
I think I'll add the "pepper gun" to my Xmas list -- I'd
like the one-handed operation for cooking purposes.

Michael Siemon 03-12-2004 09:00 PM

In article >,
"Ellen" > wrote:

> "Joe Duffy" > wrote in message
> >

> > Hey, this is the 21st century.
> > Anything over 2 weeks is a lifetime!
> > Seriously though, do both you and Ellen have
> > the regular Magnum?
> > Any tips on whether to get the Magnum Plus or
> > the regular?
> >

> > Joe
> >

> I have the magnum plus -- I can't seem to find the online store I bought it
> at unfortunately -- they were very pleasant to deal with.
>
> Ellen

Google on Unicorn Magnum pepper grinder; they sell direct.

Ellen 04-12-2004 03:09 AM

--

"Michael Siemon" > wrote in message

> > I have the magnum plus -- I can't seem to find the online store I bought

it
> > at unfortunately -- they were very pleasant to deal with.
> >
> > Ellen

> Google on Unicorn Magnum pepper grinder; they sell direct.

Well I did that and I don't find the direct source -- I find a lot of other
places selling the grinders ... I would like to remember where I bought it.

In any case I really do like this grinder and have consigned the numerous
other ones that I hate to dark corners of the cabinets. I think the thing
that I like the best is being able to fill it without having to remove the
screw on the bottom and then having to reset the grind or worse chase the
wingnut thingy under the stove when I drop it and of course the fact that it
actually grinds the pepper instead of throwing out huge chunks or clogging
up or not reassembling right or doing some other idiotic thing. Let's see I
have a couple or three wooden ones that look beautiful and are useless and a
couple of acrylic ones that are even worse. The nice thing about it being
plastic is that I don't worry about what bits of food stuff I have on my
hand when I grab it to add pepper while cooking -- yeah yeah I know it says
not to put it next to heat but it does sit next to the stove anyway.

My husband just rolled his eyes when I said I was buying another grinder but
he is convenced now that it was all his idea and a wonderful idea at that
:-) Now if I could just convince him to get rid of those horrible circulon
pans he bought ....

Ellen

LRod 04-12-2004 05:36 AM

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:55:23 GMT, Michael Siemon >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Ellen" > wrote:

>> Well I did that and I don't find the direct source -- I find a lot of other
>> places selling the grinders ... I would like to remember where I bought it.

>Try:
> <http://www.peppergun.com/products/magnum_plus.html>

Based on everyone's recommendations I ordered one tonight. Very
interesting experience. I did a search and got lots of hits. There
were several vendors with attractive prices ($41.95 seemed the lowest
and was quite a common price) but they were nearly all out of stock.
The Amazon price (actually cooking.com partnered with Amazon) was
$41.95 but with $8.95 for shipping brought the total to what should
have been $50.90 but showed at checkout as $52.90. Hmmm. I skipped
that order and went back to the search.

Pricegrabber showed only cooking.com but using their calculator came
up with the correct $50.90. By that time I was plenty irritated. $8.95
to ship something that weighs less than 2 lbs?

Then I tried another Amazon partner (cheftools) and they wanted $10.95
to ship!!!

Back to the search. I found one for $45 plus $4 for shipping to
peppergun. At this point, no matter how stupid it may sound, I was
much more interested in paying a reasonable shipping rate than save a
couple of bucks on the product price.

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's just like trading in a car on a new one.
They'll give you a great trade-in allowance but the price of the new
car won't be as low as the price your buddy got without the trade.
They're going to get you somewhere.

$11 for shipping, however is no better than those TV merchants that
charge 30-40% of the stated product price for "shipping and handling."
Handling? Isn't that a rent that should be built in to the price? This
is one of my huge pet peeves on TV marketing and the main reason (junk
being another) that I will not buy the products.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Ellen 04-12-2004 01:25 PM

"Michael Siemon" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ellen" > wrote:
>
> Try:
> <http://www.peppergun.com/products/magnum_plus.html>

Oh blush -- it really does help to spell things right when googling :-) and
yes that is where I bought it. Would you like to come over and organize the
rest of my life? :-) Thanks

Ellen

Peter Aitken 04-12-2004 03:49 PM

"LRod" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:55:23 GMT, Michael Siemon >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Ellen" > wrote:

> >> Well I did that and I don't find the direct source -- I find a lot of

other
> >> places selling the grinders ... I would like to remember where I bought

it.

> >Try:
> > <http://www.peppergun.com/products/magnum_plus.html>

> Based on everyone's recommendations I ordered one tonight. Very
> interesting experience. I did a search and got lots of hits. There
> were several vendors with attractive prices ($41.95 seemed the lowest
> and was quite a common price) but they were nearly all out of stock.
> The Amazon price (actually cooking.com partnered with Amazon) was
> $41.95 but with $8.95 for shipping brought the total to what should
> have been $50.90 but showed at checkout as $52.90. Hmmm. I skipped
> that order and went back to the search.
>
> Pricegrabber showed only cooking.com but using their calculator came
> up with the correct $50.90. By that time I was plenty irritated. $8.95
> to ship something that weighs less than 2 lbs?
>
> Then I tried another Amazon partner (cheftools) and they wanted $10.95
> to ship!!!
>
> Back to the search. I found one for $45 plus $4 for shipping to
> peppergun. At this point, no matter how stupid it may sound, I was
> much more interested in paying a reasonable shipping rate than save a
> couple of bucks on the product price.
>
> Yeah, yeah, I know. It's just like trading in a car on a new one.
> They'll give you a great trade-in allowance but the price of the new
> car won't be as low as the price your buddy got without the trade.
> They're going to get you somewhere.
>
> $11 for shipping, however is no better than those TV merchants that
> charge 30-40% of the stated product price for "shipping and handling."
> Handling? Isn't that a rent that should be built in to the price? This
> is one of my huge pet peeves on TV marketing and the main reason (junk
> being another) that I will not buy the products.

I bought 4 Magnums @ $31 each from Unicorn and the shipping was $4 for the
whole lot. I couldn't justify a new mill for myself so I bought them as
gifts for family, along with a pack of telicherry peppercorns from Penzeys.
But I seem to have "mistakenly" ordered one too many. Darn, I'll just have
to keep it.

--
Peter Aitken

Michael Siemon 04-12-2004 06:55 PM

In article >,
"Ellen" > wrote:

> "Michael Siemon" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Ellen" > wrote:
> >
> > Try:
> > <http://www.peppergun.com/products/magnum_plus.html>

> Oh blush -- it really does help to spell things right when googling :-) and
> yes that is where I bought it. Would you like to come over and organize the
> rest of my life? :-) Thanks
>
> Ellen

You wouldn't ask if you took a look at my desk... :-)

Michael Siemon 04-12-2004 06:55 PM

Michael Siemon 04-12-2004 06:55 PM

Ellen 04-12-2004 09:41 PM

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...

> I bought 4 Magnums @ $31 each from Unicorn and the shipping was $4 for the
> whole lot. I couldn't justify a new mill for myself so I bought them as
> gifts for family, along with a pack of telicherry peppercorns from

Penzeys.
> But I seem to have "mistakenly" ordered one too many. Darn, I'll just have
> to keep it.

I am so saddened to hear that you are forced to keep one for yourself :-)

Ellen

Ted Goldblatt 05-12-2004 02:56 AM

Ellen wrote:

> "Joe Duffy" > wrote in message
>
>>I've used a Peugeot wooden grinder for about 12 years,
>>but I must say that it's time to step up to
>>the Unicorn Magnum Plus.
>>Adjusting the fineness of grind on the Peugeot is
>>a huge hassle, and it is an adjustment I make repeatedly
>>while cooking.
>>Also, the Peugeot holds about enough pepper for a
>>week or so. The Magnum holds about a lifetime worth
>>of pepper.
>>These may seem like petty issues, but not when you
>>use as much pepper as I do!
>>

> Ah yes, I got the Magnum about 6 mths or so ago based on recommendations
> from this group and I just love it. Best pepper mill I have ever had. There
> are many reasons it is wonderful but one of the outstanding ones is the
> ability to fill it thru the upper side without having to unscrew the top or
> the bottom ...

the Magnum vs the Magnum Plus - on the Unicorn website, one of the
advantages they claim for the Plus over the regular is that the larger
size gives better leverage and ease of use when grinding. Could anyone
who has used both comment on this? I doubt that the ability to hold
years worth of peppercorns would be a big seller for me, but if the
Magnum is somewhat awkward to use when grinding lots of pepper... (My
late lamented Turkish grinder was great at cranking out quantity,
unfortunately with a very narrow range of grinds)

Michael 05-12-2004 06:34 PM

"Sis" > wrote in message

> "Cynthia Mason" > wrote in message
> > What is the best pepper grinder?
> >

> I like the Peugeot(sp) wooden pepper grinder. It both works and looks

great.
> Sis

Second to that vote

Michael 05-12-2004 06:34 PM

"Sis" > wrote in message

> "Cynthia Mason" > wrote in message
> > What is the best pepper grinder?
> >

> I like the Peugeot(sp) wooden pepper grinder. It both works and looks

great.
> Sis

Second to that vote

Mignon Mason 07-12-2004 08:00 AM