Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Stick (handheld) blenders vs. tabletop blenders.

I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
budget (and space) for one!

My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
is what I see as the advantages of each type:

____Hand-held Blender:___
Easier and quicker to clean
Takes up less room in the dishwasher
Takes up less room, period.
Enables me to blend stuff that is in many kinds of container.

___Tabletop blender:___
Always in one place, so easy and quick to locate
No possibility of splashing or spattering
No little bits to mislay

While a tabletop blender takes up more space on the worktop, I can imagine
that a stick blender is more of a fiddle to stash away after use.

Can anyone shine any other pros and cons of either type?

Many thanks...

Al
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 25 Apr 2012 09:18:43 GMT, "AL_n" > wrote:

>I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
>handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
>budget (and space) for one!
>
>My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
>is what I see as the advantages of each type:

>___Tabletop blender:___
>Always in one place, so easy and quick to locate
>No possibility of splashing or spattering
>No little bits to mislay

Tabletop is going to be more versatile. You can grind and chop stuff
in it, it is going to blend better and faster in most cases and can
even store the results if need be.

The stick is the least used appliance we own.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ed Pawlowski > wrote in
:

> Tabletop is going to be more versatile. You can grind and chop stuff
> in it, it is going to blend better and faster in most cases and can
> even store the results if need be.
>
> The stick is the least used appliance we own.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the input. It's funny, but I would have thought that a stick
blender would be more versatile than a jug blender, cosidering that it
doesn't restrict you to one single container for blending.

I too, have tended to gravitate towards jug blenders, but I often wonder if
that's just force of habit, as I grew up using those things (in the days
before stick blendes emerged).

Al
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 4/26/2012 4:15 AM, AL_n wrote:
> Ed > wrote in
> :
>
>> Tabletop is going to be more versatile. You can grind and chop stuff
>> in it, it is going to blend better and faster in most cases and can
>> even store the results if need be.
>>
>> The stick is the least used appliance we own.

> Hi Ed,
>
> Thanks for the input. It's funny, but I would have thought that a stick
> blender would be more versatile than a jug blender, cosidering that it
> doesn't restrict you to one single container for blending.
>
> I too, have tended to gravitate towards jug blenders, but I often wonder if
> that's just force of habit, as I grew up using those things (in the days
> before stick blendes emerged).

I stopped using jug blenders when I got my first stick blender.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"AL_n" > wrote:

> Can anyone shine any other pros and cons of either type?

I have an Oster glass jar blender, an 80's model vita-mix w/SS jug and a
stick blender. I use all three, varying by job. I use the stick most,
and clean it as soon as I am done and put it back away. Got it at Kohls
on a $19.95 sale price. Detachable head, milk shake wand and wisk head
attachments, also, in carrying case. Stores nice.

The Oster is good for salad dressings and sauces where I need to retain
constant temp. Pre-heat or pre-cool glass as needed.

Vita-mix is vita-mix. Very poewrful, does its specialties very well,
must have minimum quantity or does not work, but love the power.
Smoothies are smoothe, purees are clean. Again, clean up as soon as
done is very easy.

I guess the stick is most used, Oster is least used, but I have all
three and use them.

Oster was inherited, by the way, and Vita-mix was only $1 at a garage
sale, the guy had no idea what he really had, but I did and was VERY
happy.

I have the benefit of a large basement, so I have ample room for my
cooking toys, and made special shelves in the kitchen so space is not a
concern.

jt

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_n View Post
[...]

Hi Al. IMHO, I would prefer the handheld blender because of its portability and compactness. I only use tabletop blenders when making fruit shakes and the like but most of the time, the handheld type are much easier and handy to use, with the same effects as the tabletop ones. Hope this helps...