Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Immersion blenders

I am considering buying the KitchenAid corded immersion blender. Any
comments, good or bad?

Thanks.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:23:07 -0400, Peter A >
wrote:

>I am considering buying the KitchenAid corded immersion blender. Any
>comments, good or bad?

I bought one about three months ago, and it's a major improvement over
my previous Cuisinart cordless. Plenty of power, and the speed control
is tapered most usefully.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I have the Braun as well and it's great. Make sure the blender attachment
is metal rather than plastic as it's stronger. I find it great for making
purees, soups etc.

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:23:07 -0400, Peter A wrote:
>
>> I am considering buying the KitchenAid corded immersion blender. Any
>> comments, good or bad?

> I love my Braun, with the chopper attachment. There's also a
> less useful ship attachment. Everything for $30. It's lighter
> than the Cuisinart, and the button is easy to push, wheras the
> Cuisinart is noticeably stiffer.
>
> I prefer the corded as I don't have to worry about it taking up
> space on the wall/counter.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> ..."Whip" attachment. Though it would be cool if it could be
> used as a propeller on a ship - or at least a rowboat.

on one show, alton called his 'the evinrude'

joe
petersburg (who wants one but has been told not to buy one) alaska

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Aug 11, 9:23 am, Peter A > wrote:
> I am considering buying the KitchenAid corded immersion blender. Any
> comments, good or bad?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

America's Test Kitchen recently reviewed nine hand blenders. IMO they
are the end-all, know-all final authority on all matters involving the
kitchen. Been using their receipes and following their advice on
equipment, techniques, and products for five years now. They've never
steered me wrong.

The KitchenAid won hands down.

Regards,
Sarge

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:54:59 -0700, sarge137 >
wrote:

>America's Test Kitchen recently reviewed nine hand blenders. IMO they
>are the end-all, know-all final authority on all matters involving the
>kitchen. Been using their receipes and following their advice on
>equipment, techniques, and products for five years now. They've never
>steered me wrong.

With one caveat: they don't know squat about wine.

OK, one other caveat: sometimes they don't see the forest for the
trees. That is, they sometimes insist on lumping all of a broad
category -- such as meat thermometers -- together, and judging them
based on a single set of criteria, ignoring completely special
capabilities of niche products.

Those criticisms uttered, I do have all their hardbound annual
volumes, and use them frequently.

>The KitchenAid won hands down.

Yes, that's why I bought mine.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:39:30 -0400, Peter A >
wrote:

>Your post is very perceptive.

Thank you.

>Too many people, mostly insecure, are quick to reject any source that
>has even a single mistake. Perhaps it makes them feel superior. No
>source is perfect. The intelligent person takes what is good from a
>source and ignores the rest.

Very true. All sources have shortcomings (even Wikipedia! 8 )

The value of sources like Consumer Reports or Cook's Magazine isn't in
those areas where an individual is himself an expert; it's in his
weaker subject areas where he can benefit from the research of others.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Aug 14, 8:45 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:54:59 -0700, sarge137 wrote:
> > America's Test Kitchen recently reviewed nine hand blenders. IMO they
> > are the end-all, know-all final authority on all matters involving the
> > kitchen. Been using their receipes and following their advice on
> > equipment, techniques, and products for five years now. They've never
> > steered me wrong.

> > The KitchenAid won hands down.

> Why did they determine that one was best?
>
> I have both a KA and a Braun, and the Braun gets used 100% of the
> time. The KA is probably an older model, though.
>
> -sw

They found that as far performance and effeciency are concerned the KA
and Brauns (Multiquick and Multiquick Pro) were about the same. They
downgraded the Multiquick because it has a plastic shaft that can't be
used in heat - at least not for very long. The Multiquick Pro comes
with attachments/accessories they found to be of limited use and costs
almost twice as much as the other two.

Regards,
Sarge

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Aug 13, 3:54 pm, pltrgyst > wrote:

> With one caveat: they don't know squat about wine.

Well, I wouldn't go to them for advice or information about fine
vintage wine. With respect to the varieties of wines they use in
their receipes, they do just fine. I'd never use a wine in a recipe
that I wouldn't also be willing serve in a glass. But, I have several
bottles that I wouldn't remotely consider using in my recipes.
They're just too complex, and frankly expensive, to be used that way.
It would be a waste.

> OK, one other caveat: sometimes they don't see the forest for the
> trees. That is, they sometimes insist on lumping all of a broad
> category -- such as meat thermometers -- together, and judging them
> based on a single set of criteria, ignoring completely special
> capabilities of niche products.

Point taken. But, their usual approach to product testing is to
select the one most suitable for broad applications and general use.
Within that context I find their test results to be most helpful.

Regards,
Sarge

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article om>,
says...
> On Aug 14, 8:45 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:54:59 -0700, sarge137 wrote:
> > > America's Test Kitchen recently reviewed nine hand blenders. IMO they
> > > are the end-all, know-all final authority on all matters involving the
> > > kitchen. Been using their receipes and following their advice on
> > > equipment, techniques, and products for five years now. They've never
> > > steered me wrong.

> > > The KitchenAid won hands down.

> > Why did they determine that one was best?
> >
> > I have both a KA and a Braun, and the Braun gets used 100% of the
> > time. The KA is probably an older model, though.
> >
> > -sw

> They found that as far performance and effeciency are concerned the KA
> and Brauns (Multiquick and Multiquick Pro) were about the same. They
> downgraded the Multiquick because it has a plastic shaft that can't be
> used in heat - at least not for very long. The Multiquick Pro comes
> with attachments/accessories they found to be of limited use and costs
> almost twice as much as the other two.
>
> Regards,
> Sarge

For what it's worth, I received my Kitchenaid the other day and am very
impressed. It seems very sturdy and well designed. I have used both the
immersion blender and the small "blender jar" and they work fine. I have
nothing to compare it to, of course.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Aug 15, 9:58 am, Peter A > wrote:

> For what it's worth, I received my Kitchenaid the other day and am very
> impressed. It seems very sturdy and well designed.

Just curious... did the packaging indicate a country of origin?