Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default blenders: handheld vs. tabletop. Which is better?

I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
budget (and space) for one!

My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
is what I see as the advantages of each type:

____Hand-held Blender:___
Easier and quicker to clean
Takes up less room in the dishwasher
Takes up less room, period.
Enables me to blend stuff that is in many kinds of container.
Is probably better for 'sticky' concoctions such as mayonnaise

___Tabletop blender:___
Always in one place, so easy and quick to locate
No possibility of splashing or spattering
No little bits to mislay

While a tabletop blender takes up more space on the worktop, I can imagine
that a stick blender is more of a fiddle to stash away after use. Both can
be obtained with 650W mtors, so poer is not a deciding factor.

Can anyone shine any other pros and cons of either type?

Many thanks.

Al
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"AL_n" > wrote:

>I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
>handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
>budget (and space) for one!

IMO- they are two different tools. I can't think of any operation
where either would work equally as well.

>My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
>is what I see as the advantages of each type:

And for smoothies, I can't imagine anything other than the Ninja or
?bullet? type. Mine is a now Ninja and I've only seen the other on
TV-- but the principle is the same. Very fast, single speed, with
lots of *sharp* blades-- not just the ones on the bottom.

>____Hand-held Blender:___
>Easier and quicker to clean
>Takes up less room in the dishwasher
>Takes up less room, period.
>Enables me to blend stuff that is in many kinds of container.
>Is probably better for 'sticky' concoctions such as mayonnaise

Great for doing the final 'mush' on cream-of-whatever soups. R ight
on the stove- right in the pot.

>___Tabletop blender:___
>Always in one place, so easy and quick to locate
>No possibility of splashing or spattering
>No little bits to mislay

add-- lots more powerful. The ones with layers of blades eliminate
the need to 'work' the concoction-- Just toss in the ingredients and
blend.

>While a tabletop blender takes up more space on the worktop, I can imagine
>that a stick blender is more of a fiddle to stash away after use. Both can
>be obtained with 650W mtors, so poer is not a deciding factor.

But even with a 650w motor, trying to grind up frozen strawberries or
ice cubes with a stick blender isn't going to work well, IMO.

I don't use my stick blender *or* my smoothie-size blender very
often-- But when I do, I'm glad I have both.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Apr 2012 11:05:05 GMT, "AL_n" > wrote:

> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
> budget (and space) for one!
>
> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
> is what I see as the advantages of each type:

<snip>

> Can anyone shine any other pros and cons of either type?
>
> Many thanks.

If you're making smoothies and other drinks, go with the tabletop
variety. The stick blender is better for soups, making mayonnaise and
other cooking where you're reaching into a pot of hot liquid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"AL_n" > wrote:

> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
> budget (and space) for one!
>
> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
> is what I see as the advantages of each type:

> Al

If you put ice cubes in your smoothies, get the tabletop blender. I
don't know that a stick blender could chop the ice.

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2012 12:31 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
>> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
>> budget (and space) for one!
>>
>> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
>> is what I see as the advantages of each type:

>> Al

> If you put ice cubes in your smoothies, get the tabletop blender. I
> don't know that a stick blender could chop the ice.

Does it not depend on what you want to blend and how much you have?
Certainly, ice is out with a hand blender. I've got both types but the
hand-held stays out and I find some of the attachments with which it
came, like a mini food processor, rather useful when cooking for myself.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"AL_n" > wrote in message
> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
> budget (and space) for one!
>
> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
> is what I see as the advantages of each type:
>
> ____Hand-held Blender:___
> Easier and quicker to clean
> Takes up less room in the dishwasher
> Takes up less room, period.
> Enables me to blend stuff that is in many kinds of container.
> Is probably better for 'sticky' concoctions such as mayonnaise
>
> ___Tabletop blender:___
> Always in one place, so easy and quick to locate
> No possibility of splashing or spattering
> No little bits to mislay
>
> While a tabletop blender takes up more space on the worktop, I can imagine
> that a stick blender is more of a fiddle to stash away after use. Both can
> be obtained with 650W mtors, so poer is not a deciding factor.
>
> Can anyone shine any other pros and cons of either type?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Al

We have both. I use the table top almost exclusively, although I don't like
the small table Cuisinart that replaced the old one. I don't like having to
use an extra dish underneath. It's difficult to get to the edge of a pan you
may be trying to cook it.
I think it's easier to control the fineness of the "chop" with the tabletop.
Someone mentioned one they liked recently for about $20 on this NG.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 26, 4:05*am, "AL_n" > wrote:
> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
> budget (and space) for one!
>
> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
> is what I see as the advantages of each type:
>
> ____Hand-held Blender:___
> Easier and quicker to clean
> Takes up less room in the dishwasher
> Takes up less room, period.
> Enables me to blend stuff that is in many kinds of container.
> Is probably better for 'sticky' concoctions such as mayonnaise
>
> ___Tabletop blender:___
> Always in one place, so easy and quick to locate
> No possibility of splashing or spattering
> No little bits to mislay
>
> While a tabletop blender takes up more space on the worktop, I can imagine
> that a stick blender is more of a fiddle to stash away after use. Both can
> be obtained with 650W mtors, so poer is not a deciding factor.
>
> Can anyone shine any other pros and cons of either type?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Al

As everyone else has said. Go with the tabletop. And get a good
one, don't buy cheap, it's not worth it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:40:17 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> I think it's easier to control the fineness of the "chop" with the tabletop.
> Someone mentioned one they liked recently for about $20 on this NG.

That would be me. It was the mini-Ninja. $19.95, 4 blades, your
choice of colors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:55:30 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Apr 26, 4:05*am, "AL_n" > wrote:
>> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
>> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
>> budget (and space) for one!
>>
>> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
>> is what I see as the advantages of each type:
>>
>> ____Hand-held Blender:___
>> Easier and quicker to clean
>> Takes up less room in the dishwasher
>> Takes up less room, period.
>> Enables me to blend stuff that is in many kinds of container.
>> Is probably better for 'sticky' concoctions such as mayonnaise
>>
>> ___Tabletop blender:___
>> Always in one place, so easy and quick to locate
>> No possibility of splashing or spattering
>> No little bits to mislay
>>
>> While a tabletop blender takes up more space on the worktop, I can imagine
>> that a stick blender is more of a fiddle to stash away after use. Both can
>> be obtained with 650W mtors, so poer is not a deciding factor.
>>
>> Can anyone shine any other pros and cons of either type?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> Al

>As everyone else has said. Go with the tabletop. And get a good
>one, don't buy cheap, it's not worth it.

Agreed... cheap often ends up expensive. My ancient (50 year old)
Osterizer can easily blend anything including large ice cubes. I
strongly suggest not getting a blender with a plastic container, they
typically crack from blending ice... I'm still using my 50 year old
glass Oster container... it's made thousands upon thousands of
smoothies, all with lots of ice... all parts are original.
Banned

I think tabletop is better, 1 location, good for all purposes.
Retail POS Software - TradeMeters&#8482 is a Reliable Point of Sale Software Solution Retail POS Software

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
James Silverton > wrote:

> On 4/26/2012 12:31 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
> >> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
> >> budget (and space) for one!
> >>
> >> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
> >> is what I see as the advantages of each type:

> >> Al

> > If you put ice cubes in your smoothies, get the tabletop blender. I
> > don't know that a stick blender could chop the ice.
> >

> Does it not depend on what you want to blend and how much you have?
> Certainly, ice is out with a hand blender. I've got both types but the
> hand-held stays out and I find some of the attachments with which it
> came, like a mini food processor, rather useful when cooking for myself.

Oh, I do, too, Jim. I have both. I use the stick blender far more
frequently than I use the countertop blender. I love the whisk for
whipping a bit of cream, and the chopper for chopping some things. And
then there's my "salsa maker" chopper. I love that thing, too, believe
it or not. I love gizmos. :-0)
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
James Silverton > wrote:

> On 4/26/2012 12:31 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm faced with the dilemma of whether to choose a tabletop blender or a
> >> handheld stick blender. I can see advantages in both, but I only have the
> >> budget (and space) for one!
> >>
> >> My main use for these gadgets is making smoothies and protein shakes. Here
> >> is what I see as the advantages of each type:

> >> Al

> > If you put ice cubes in your smoothies, get the tabletop blender. I
> > don't know that a stick blender could chop the ice.
> >

> Does it not depend on what you want to blend and how much you have?

Sure, and I thought his stated need was for something with which to make
smoothies. I put a fair amount of ice in my smoothies which rules out
the stick blender for that use.