Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default VitaMix Coupon for "Mother's Day Special" + FREE Shipping coupon

Noodles said...

Vita-Mix is offering a Special, limited time, Motherís Day Package in
conjunction with appearing on the Martha Stewart with Chef Mario
Batali.

http://www.vitamix.com/martha/index7...UPON=06-001556

Special Vita-Mix Coupon Code 06-001556

Print page or write down the code for FREE shipping

Then make sure you enter the special sale code on your order form to
get proper credit for FREE shipping.

http://www.vitamix.com/martha/index7...UPON=06-001556

Special Vitamix Coupon Code 06-001556

What? $450.00 for a blender???

Am I on Candid Camera???

Andy

Old 12-05-2009, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article , Andy wrote:

Noodles said...

Vita-Mix is offering a Special, limited time, Motherís Day Package in
conjunction with appearing on the Martha Stewart with Chef Mario
Batali.

http://www.vitamix.com/martha/index7...UPON=06-001556

Special Vita-Mix Coupon Code 06-001556

Print page or write down the code for FREE shipping

Then make sure you enter the special sale code on your order form to
get proper credit for FREE shipping.

http://www.vitamix.com/martha/index7...UPON=06-001556

Special Vitamix Coupon Code 06-001556

What? $450.00 for a blender???

Am I on Candid Camera???

No. These typically go for that price or a bit more, new. Check eBay,
they hold their resale value. The vintage 3600 from the 80's can go for
over $150 even still. But those of us who have them tend to like them.
(I got very lucky in getting my used 3600, or else I would still be on
the "maybe someday" side of the picture.) These are among the most
powerful blenders on the market. They can make smoothies out of
concrete.

jt
Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august said...

What? $450.00 for a blender???

Am I on Candid Camera???

No. These typically go for that price or a bit more, new. Check eBay,
they hold their resale value. The vintage 3600 from the 80's can go for
over $150 even still. But those of us who have them tend to like them.
(I got very lucky in getting my used 3600, or else I would still be on
the "maybe someday" side of the picture.) These are among the most
powerful blenders on the market. They can make smoothies out of
concrete.

jt,

It sounds more like an industrial blender rather than something you'd find
in a residential kitchen.

My BIL went ga-ga over the Vitamix machine after seeing it at a food show
in town in the early 1990s. He couldn't stop talking about it, during
Sunday NFL football even! To shut him up, I bought him one as a birthday
gift.

Never did learn how well it served him as my divorce ensued soon after.
Maybe I should've bought the wife one first?

I get by with my Mom's ancient, "million button" blender which sits idle
mostly. It does get nods for longevity! It's easily 40 years old or more.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Old 13-05-2009, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article , Andy wrote:

It sounds more like an industrial blender rather than something you'd find
in a residential kitchen.

It is an industrial blender in a residential package. Most of VM's
machines go to restaurants, bars and other food service outlets. But
they offer their products in a form factor for the home. Pricey, but as
I said, if you can afford it and you want it, you will love it.

jt
Old 13-05-2009, 01:21 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august said...

In article , Andy wrote:

It sounds more like an industrial blender rather than something you'd
find in a residential kitchen.

It is an industrial blender in a residential package. Most of VM's
machines go to restaurants, bars and other food service outlets. But
they offer their products in a form factor for the home. Pricey, but as
I said, if you can afford it and you want it, you will love it.

jt

I knew it was pro equipment! Never saw it in operation. [sigh]

Best,

Andy

--
Eat first, talk later.

Old 13-05-2009, 04:45 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 12 May 2009 05:05:48p, jt august told us...

In article , Andy wrote:

It sounds more like an industrial blender rather than something you'd
find in a residential kitchen.

It is an industrial blender in a residential package. Most of VM's
machines go to restaurants, bars and other food service outlets. But
they offer their products in a form factor for the home. Pricey, but as
I said, if you can afford it and you want it, you will love it.

jt

I'm probably the only detractor, but I hated mine and gave it away. I
bought their most expensive top of the line model in the mid-1980s. I'm
much happier with my vintage late 1960s Osterizer.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring

Old 13-05-2009, 05:36 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I'm probably the only detractor, but I hated mine and gave it away. I
bought their most expensive top of the line model in the mid-1980s. I'm
much happier with my vintage late 1960s Osterizer.

Wayne, I can assure you that you are not alone. I know 2 people who
also had one and didn't care for theirs. These are not for everyone, I
recognize that. BTW, them thar Osterizers are pretty darn good, too.
The vintage 60's and 70's models beat the late 80's and 90's units, and
the newer units (post 2k4) are back on track towards their heritage,
though I would take an antique as my first choice on that line. And
definitely one with a glass jar. Those plastic jars they went to for a
while need to be recycled for the betterment of all mankind.

jt
Old 13-05-2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" wrote in message
In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I'm probably the only detractor, but I hated mine and gave it away. I
bought their most expensive top of the line model in the mid-1980s. I'm
much happier with my vintage late 1960s Osterizer.

Wayne, I can assure you that you are not alone. I know 2 people who
also had one and didn't care for theirs. These are not for everyone, I
recognize that. BTW, them thar Osterizers are pretty darn good, too.
The vintage 60's and 70's models beat the late 80's and 90's units, and
the newer units (post 2k4) are back on track towards their heritage,
though I would take an antique as my first choice on that line. And
definitely one with a glass jar. Those plastic jars they went to for a
while need to be recycled for the betterment of all mankind.

jt

For those who like the Oster for juicing, there is an entertaining youtube
video of this guy demonstrating his use of an 'average' blender along with
using a paint strainer (strainter).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeZnXT1r88k

And then there is the looooong video of a old-time guy who is demonstrating
his answer to the above video using the Norwalk juicer which probably costs
$1or$2 or close to $3 thousand. For those who are wanting the ultimate
juicer, this is the video to see its use, as he goes over-and-over-and-over
juicing carrots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vkhf2l78vQ

These videos are only for those with time on their hands. :-))

The reason I have these links at my fingertips is that I was thinking of
getting a juicer for carrots and an apple. I bought the Juiceman Jr at
Costco when it was on sale for $39.95 and it's a PITA. I also have a
VitaMix. But the juice that comes out of the VitaMix is foamy; I want
something clear. I've had Osters, also.

Dee Dee

Old 13-05-2009, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article ,
"Dee Randall" wrote:

And then there is the looooong video of a old-time guy who is demonstrating
his answer to the above video using the Norwalk juicer which probably costs
$1or$2 or close to $3 thousand. For those who are wanting the ultimate
juicer, this is the video to see its use, as he goes over-and-over-and-over
juicing carrots.

And this past weekend, out garage sale hunting, I saw 6 juicers for
under $10 each; three Juicemans, 2 LaLanes, one a brand I didn't
recognize. Oh, and two of these were CIB (complete in box), one
actually unopened (and that one was only $6). $3K for a juicer? Thems
must be some special carrots.

jt
Old 14-05-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall said...

"jt august" wrote in message
In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Darn... I forgot the Milk Duds and buttered popcorn!

On a 1 to 10 entertainment scale... 3.

Thanks,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.

Old 14-05-2009, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Andy" wrote in message ...
Dee Randall said...

"jt august" wrote in message
In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Just like your taste in music, Andy - on a 1 to 10 scale - ..... 1.
Dee Dee

Old 15-05-2009, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 12 May 2009 09:36:05p, jt august told us...

In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I'm probably the only detractor, but I hated mine and gave it away. I
bought their most expensive top of the line model in the mid-1980s.

I'm
much happier with my vintage late 1960s Osterizer.

Wayne, I can assure you that you are not alone. I know 2 people who
also had one and didn't care for theirs. These are not for everyone, I
recognize that. BTW, them thar Osterizers are pretty darn good, too.
The vintage 60's and 70's models beat the late 80's and 90's units, and
the newer units (post 2k4) are back on track towards their heritage,
though I would take an antique as my first choice on that line. And
definitely one with a glass jar. Those plastic jars they went to for a
while need to be recycled for the betterment of all mankind.

jt

All true, jt. I wouldn't trade my vintage 60's model for any brand new
blender. It's an Osterizer Galaxie 10 (10 speeds), very heavy triple-
chromed metal base, heavy glass jar, and 800 watt motor. I don't actually
use my blender that often, but it has never failed any task I've given it.
I used to use it a lot more before acquiring my first Robot Coupe food
processor.

I also have the ice crusher and citrus juicer attachments for the
Osterizer.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Dyspepsia is the remorse of a guilty stomach. ~A. Kerr

Old 15-05-2009, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed 13 May 2009 08:57:17a, Dee Randall told us...

"jt august" wrote in message
In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

I would never use my Osterizer (or any other blender) for juicing, except
for using the citrus juicer attachment. A decent "true" juicer will seet
you back at least several hundred dollars.

Despite any claims they make, a VitaMix is *not* a juicer by any stretch of
the imagination. It merely makes a juicy puree of whatever vegetables you
put in it. Depending on the choice of vegetables, it can be more of a
slurry. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Breadbaking is one of those almost hypnotic businesses, like a

Old 15-05-2009, 02:11 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed 13 May 2009 07:47:10p, Dee Randall told us...

"Andy" wrote in message news:[email protected]

216.196.97.131...
Dee Randall said...

"jt august" wrote in message
In article 0,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

You got that one right, Dee Dee. Actually, Andy's taste in almost
everything is a "1". Yes, I know I'm mean.

--
Wayne Boatwright
But when the time comes that a man has had his dinner, then the

Old 15-05-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message I
bought the Juiceman Jr at
Costco when it was on sale for $39.95 and it's a PITA. I also have a
VitaMix. But the juice that comes out of the VitaMix is foamy; I want
something clear. I've had Osters, also.

Dee Dee

I would never use my Osterizer (or any other blender) for juicing, except
for using the citrus juicer attachment. A decent "true" juicer will seet
you back at least several hundred dollars.

Despite any claims they make, a VitaMix is *not* a juicer by any stretch
of
the imagination. It merely makes a juicy puree of whatever vegetables you
put in it. Depending on the choice of vegetables, it can be more of a
slurry. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

After thinking about the youtube video guy with the blender and paint
strainter ;-)), this was my day's doings:

This morning I used the VitaMix (instead of a blender or juicer) to mix the
carrots and an apple, making the slurry. I put it into a very nice sieve
(one that had fine holes and a double or triple netting), and let it drip
while pushing it down some every now and then. It did a good job, but the
left-over pulp could have been squeezed a little more to produce more carrot
elixir.

Looking on the internet I found some videos about using a "milk nut bag."
This one video showed almonds being made in the vitamix and then poured into
the milk nut bag and squeezed out. I ordered 4 of the bags. I had never
heard of them previously, so I was tickled pink! So from now on:

carrots and apples in the vitamix, pour into the nut bag, squeeze and voila!
Since I eat almonds often, it will be fun to make some nut milk.

Ta Ta for now,
Dee Dee